Hong Kong DL Preview Center photos

jrriddle

Hey CN, I saw that as well today. The first thing to come to mind was sparse (and small) it's going to be. There is nothing but green space. And it's so tiny! I think Al made some pretty good points too about how alot of HK residents have been to Japan and are not going to be too pleased with this park.
There is so much...nothing.

BTW Sending you an email after this to catch up.

DisneyFan 2000

This is just about as pathetic as Six Flags... Disney is reaching new lows....

I can see it now on the news: "Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney's latest failure."

DarkMeasures

They did make a very dumb mistake. The park could have started with the same number of attractions and facilities but had an area inside the berm at least as big as WDW's but instead they fit everything in that small area forgeting that the park will need to expand in the future. HKDL is going to have a lot of Outside berm attractions in the future.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
JRRiddle makes a good point. I had forgotten that Japan is just over the ways from HK and that the people in HK have probably seen what a "real" Disney park is like after visiting the Japan park. I think Disney is also going to have to face some serious competition from Ocean Park who can work on the fact that you'll get more value for your dollar in a park that has more attractions.

7L-WDW

So .. How will HK compair in size with Paris park one .. Is it going to be a half or full day park .. The boys from Glendale don't give much away ..

jrriddle

7L-WDW said:
So .. How will HK compair in size with Paris park one .. Is it going to be a half or full day park .. The boys from Glendale don't give much away ..

I'll look around for the actual size. But I think comparing it to The Disney Studios in terms of size and attractions.
1/2 day Park try 1/4 day. :lol:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
So....which park will be the biggest failure? California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Paris, or Hong Kong Disneyland?

I still can't believe they're opening with such a small amount of attractions. I mean, I can probably spend more time at DisneyQuest than at HKDL. :lol:

jrriddle

Oh I've got to say WDSP. That place has to go down in history as a low point for the WDC. They have nothing going for them. No dark rides. One coaster, a few shows. A really sad tram ride. An out of place spinner. And NO themeing!
HKDL might at least look good despite the number of attractions. From the concept drawings at least it will have a "little" atmosphere.
And as big a disapointment as DCA was for me when I went, at least it did have a couple of really nice areas, a great raft ride, IMHO a decent coaster, and of course a tortilla making demo. (ok the last one dosen't count).
DCA may be a lousy park compared to anything at WDW, DL, DLP or TDLR (heck TDL's parking lot is better then DCA) BUT it ain't too bad.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
You know, I seriously want to sit down with the imagineers and the Disney suits and really pick their brains, or bash them in, to find out what on Earth possessed them to green light such a horrible pale shadow of itself park!! I mean come on!! This park won't only be a low point for them, I see it as an outright disgrace!! Walt will be spinning faster than Mission Space in his grave when this supposed Disney park opens up. Shame on you Disney management!!

jrriddle

If anyone is interested, the official HKDL website has been updated.
Click on the "Magical World of Disney" book to see how they are marketing Disney in China and some lame pictures of the Preview Special.
After seeing the videos on Tokyo Disney website, would it have killed the budget to post the special so that others could watch it?
Also there are career postings (anyone tempted?)

jrriddle

What A Load Of ...

Hong Kong Disneyland seen to open in late 2005

Theme park to attract some 5 million visitors during first year of operation, says forecast

2004-08-12 / Taiwan News, Staff Reporter / By Marie Feliciano

Drumbeaters of the multi-billion Hong Kong Disneyland theme park are banking on the magic of Mickey, Winnie and company to make the destination resort a "must-see" for Taiwanese tourists.

"The response from Taiwan (travel operators and tourists) has been very, very enthusiastic," said Roy Tan Hardy, vice president for marketing and sales of Hong Kong Disneyland. The executive was leading Hong Kong Disneyland's Asian roadshow.

Still under construction, the theme park was scheduled to open in late 2005 and early 2006. It is located at a land reclamation project in Penny's Bay, the northwestern tip of Lantau Island, approximately two kilometers from Discovery Bay. When it opens, Hong Kong Disneyland will feature a theme park, two hotels, and retail, dining and entertainment facilities stretching over 126 hectares.

The theme park was forecasted to attract five to six million visitors during its first year of operation, and generate at least 5,000 direct jobs.

"It is comparable to Disneyland in California when it opened so Hong Kong Disneyland will grow over time," Hardy said. "We will have two hotels (offering a total of 2,100 rooms initially), and there's room for another two hotels. We will expand over the years."

Just an 80-minute flight away from Taiwan, Hong Kong received at least 2.5 million Taiwanese travelers in 2002, making Taiwan its second biggest tourism market.

Hardy was confident the Disneyland-style theme park would boost, not just Hong Kong's appeal as a tourist destination, but Greater China's as well.

"It will make the Greater China region stronger, and lift other markets. At the end of the day, everyone benefits," he said.

"It's not necessarily a zero-sum game where Hong Kong grows at the expense of other markets. I don't think the tourism world works that way."

The resort would give Hong Kong - Asia's shopping mecca - a new dimension, Hardy said, adding that it would not even directly compete with Tokyo Disneyland.

"Close to 90 percent of Tokyo Disneyland's attendance is from Japan. It's very heavily Japanese-focused. Hong Kong Disneyland, on the one hand, will be promoted as an international family vacation destination. It's a place where kids and adults can have a great time together," he explained.

Hardy added that his team still saw Asia as a new market for Disneyland.

"In the U.S., they are now in their third or fourth generation of people who grew up with Disney. But in this part of the world, this is a greenfield environment. Hence, the education part cannot be neglected," he said. "We are using a lot of other Disney businesses like TV, video releases, and 'Disney on Ice' to bring the story of Disney into the market prior to the actual opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. We are educating people about Disney stories, the Disney heritage, and Disney characters. That's the phase we are in at this stage."

Disneyland's traditional attractions would be found at the Hong Kong theme park, said Hardy.

"Of course, we are using some new technologies and some of the recent improvements and innovations that 50 years ago were not available," he continued.

"You'll see some of the latest versions of those (thrill) rides, but we will make sure that the unique Disneyland experience is there."

According to a study conducted by Hong Kong Disneyland, visitors listed "photography" as the No. 1 activity that they wanted to have at the theme park.

"Another interesting finding that we came up with was that thrill rides were not as popular as we had envisioned. Yes, they liked watching people screaming (while taking those rides) but they did not want to be in it," said Hardy.

Hong Kong Disneyland was a venture between The Walt Disney Company and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
jrriddle said:
What A Load Of ...

Hong Kong Disneyland seen to open in late 2005

Theme park to attract some 5 million visitors during first year of operation, says forecast "We will have two hotels (offering a total of 2,100 rooms initially), and there's room for another two hotels. We will expand over the years."
This part says it all. They are aiming for half of the attendance of any of the other MKs, and so they are building half of a proper MK to do it. At least they have realistic expecations of what it will deliver in terms of guests. Will be interesting to see if they meet those numbers.

jrriddle

Well let's hope they did better research then they did for EuroDisney. :D
To tell you the truth the way I read that line was "and there's room for another two hotels. We will expand (the hotels) over the years."
Looking at the advance park maps there does not seem to be alot of extra room for attractions.
Maybe I'm just getting alot more cynical in my old age.

hkajenny

I have heard about there will be a big rollar coaster in adventure land
but after i seen this photo ...
http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al080304b.htm
i don't think there will be enough area to build such a big rollar coaster!!
In addition , the hotel of the HKDL are too big ...
and there's two hotels ! It's too more!!
why not use that area to build more attractions ??
i feel disappointed about this!

jrriddle

First off welcome to the boards!
I think you may have gotten your Asian Disney parks mixed up.

Tokyo Disney Seas is building a large Roller Coaster called Raging Spirits.
You can find a thread about it in this section.

Here's a sad list of the attractions for Hong Kong:
Legend of the Lion King show
- Cruise Jungle
- Tarzan Treehouse
- Main Street Vehicles
- Disneyland Railroad
- Sleeping Beauty' S Castle
- Mickey' S Philharmagic
- Winnie the Pooh
- Carousel
- Mad Hatter' S Tea Cups
- Dumbo
- Space Mountain
- Astro Orbitor
- Buzz Lightyear
- Main Street Electrical Parades
- Fireworks spectacular

Not a whole days worth of things to do is it?

hkajenny

- Legend of the Lion King show
- Cruise Jungle
- Tarzan Treehouse
- Main Street Vehicles
- Disneyland Railroad
- Sleeping Beauty' S Castle
- Mickey' S Philharmagic
- Winnie the Pooh
- Carousel
- Mad Hatter' S Tea Cups
- Dumbo
- Space Mountain
- Astro Orbitor
- Buzz Lightyear
- Main Street Electrical Parades
- Fireworks spectacular

Wow ...i can't belive that ...
i have seen the list before ..
at first i think that it's just some of the attractions
but when i see the model of HKDL...
haha ... i was wrong !
The attractions are fewer than Ocean Park !!
Unbeliveable !

hkajenny

I think that , It 's needless to build Hodels !
It's just a small park , not a resort!
i won't play for two days or more
( if i just play three attractions for a day ...Of couse i need to stay in hotel for a few days !!)<<< but ... it will not happen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom