Holiday Overlay for Toy Story Mania

GymLeaderPhil

Original Poster
Heard some rumblings that Mania would be receiving a holiday overlay, perhaps not this year, but in the future at both of it's locations.

It should be as simple as flipping a switch once the animations are in order and throwing up a couple decorations on third-shift.

Heard some rumblings that Mania would be receiving a holiday overlay, perhaps not this year, but in the future at both of it's locations.

It should be as simple as flipping a switch once the animations are in order and throwing up a couple decorations on third-shift.

Tom Fitzgerald hinted at it for the last holiday season in DL's AP magazine. So it's definitely a possibility.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I know a lot of people dislike the ride because it relies on screens, but I suppose that that's one of the benefits right there. I'd assume that they could do that overnight, if there are no physical changes...

_Scar

Are the rings going to be red, green, and white? Is buzz going to wear a santa hat? Will bullseye have reindeer antlers? LOL.

Idk about this one...

hpyhnt 1000

Are the rings going to be red, green, and white? Is buzz going to wear a santa hat? Will bullseye have reindeer antlers? LOL.

Idk about this one...

You just have no holiday spirit, do you? :p :lol:

And I'll believe this when I see it. :xmas:

dreamfinder

But imagine the possibilities beyond just holiday themeing. When Toy Story 3 comes out, they can add any new characters to the games, or add new games. Once the technology matures a bit more, I could even see them working in sponsors logos for when companies rent out the park for a private party.

And they could do alot to change the games for the holidays. Try to ring turkeys, throw snowballs, a fair amount of stuff that could be done that's not too far out of canon.

DisneyWales

The Imagineers talked about the possibility of this back when the ride was being built. There was talk of holidays being added over time, with christmas being one of the holidays specifically mentioned.

IMO it makes perfect sense.:xmas:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Makes perfect sense to me. The imagineers talked about how easy this would be when the attraction was under construction. If Christmas happens lets hope Halloween will soon follow.

Animaniac93-98

I wonder if it is as easy as turning on a button would Disney use say, a Halloween version, as a selling point for an after hours event?

Regardless of how these holiday editions might happen, I hope they do. It would only add to what is already a very repeatable attraction.

Buried20KLeague

There's no doubt that this was a big thing they touted when they were promoting the attraction. But I'm worried that it is one of those things that's POSSIBLE... But then happens VERY rarely, if at all. I could see it get pushed off to the side and almost forgotten about.

I mean... They COULD have all the effects working at Everest, too. But they don't. :shrug:

hokielutz

I imagine that a holiday overlay for the attraction, is a bit more involved than hanging some tinsel & pre-lit garlands from the rafters of the show building. In order to bring this to the game experience, there will likely have to be a whole new show programmed, which will cost a lot of $$$ and time from the team that wrote the original ride programs and annimation. I seriously doubt the annimation programs came with a drop down list of scenery options. A separate program would have to be written, rendered, compiled, and tested to accomodate a holiday overlay that goes beyond physical props.

The up side is the ride could stay online while being written, and could be tested during the 3rd shift. Then its just a matter of loading the new ride program overnight to switch gears. No need for shuttering a ride for an extensive physical overlay.

The question is, when would Disney spend the capital for the programming team to write new code and annimation for the ride?

kcnole

We'll see, although it does seem simple. This was supposedly one of the big selling points on Star Tours when it was launched, that it would be very easy to update over time. We see how often that's actually happened.

it398

I had dinner with an imagineer last summer (july 08) just as Toy Story Mania was opening the imagineer was a senior show producer for WDI and he was talking all about toy story mania (as he was working on it at the time) and he mentioned they were planning on doing seasonal overlays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom