Holiday Overlay for Toy Story Mania

_Scar

Wasn't the bird on a stick supposed to be a functional element that scares 'Real' birds from landing on the mountain peaks & relieving themselves at top of the pass... and not a real show element??

Lol, I always wondered how they kept birds off Everest...

Buried20KLeague

Wasn't the bird on a stick supposed to be a functional element that scares 'Real' birds from landing on the mountain peaks & relieving themselves at top of the pass... and not a real show element??

I seem to recall that talk when EE opened, but I think we came to the conclusion it wasn't the case.

Animals get used to repetitive motion. It might scare birds for a bit, but they'd figure out that thing did the same thing all the time. Kind of like a deer standing by the highway. The car flying by at 60mph doesn't send them running. The car STOPPING or doing something different than they expect would.

The easiest answer was that they needed SOMETHING for people to focus on while the track switched behind them.

It probably went like this:

"Hmmm... There's a lot of time that people just sit here doing nothing when the track behind them rotates. We should probably do something."

"Hmmm... How about a bird on a stick?!?!?!?!?"

"GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get the bird, I'll find a stick, and meet you back here in 20 minutes."

:drevil:

Figment632

I seem to recall that talk when EE opened, but I think we came to the conclusion it wasn't the case.

Animals get used to repetitive motion. It might scare birds for a bit, but they'd figure out that thing did the same thing all the time. Kind of like a deer standing by the highway. The car flying by at 60mph doesn't send them running. The car STOPPING or doing something different than they expect would.

The easiest answer was that they needed SOMETHING for people to focus on while the track switched behind them.

"Hmmm... There's a lot of time that people just sit here doing nothing when the track behind them rotates. We should probably do something."

"GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get the bird, I'll find a stick, and meet you back here in 20 minutes."

LOL or they wasted all there money on building the yetti instead of making an actual good coaster, then all the could afford was a bird on a stick!

RSoxNo1

That's not exactly how it happened. The first idea was a sign that said, "Hey, don't look behind you." Of course, that caused people to look behind them...

_Scar

Have you rode bigger coasters? Say The Hulk, Kumba, DD, Superman, Kraken?

EE gives me the thrill of those and the theming of Disney. Perfect ride.

I guess we have a major difference of opinion on this one :shrug:

wdwmemories

Does anyone know what attractions actually do get a Christmas ovelay?

The HM at DL is the only one I recall.

I think that Disney could do this lots more, but don't because of cost. Remember all the rumors over all the years about different versions of Star Tours? That may actually come to pass, but only after so many years the the original is looking worn.

I would love to see this, but am not counting on it...

SirGoofy

Does anyone know what attractions actually do get a Christmas ovelay?

The HM at DL is the only one I recall.

I think that Disney could do this lots more, but don't because of cost. Remember all the rumors over all the years about different versions of Star Tours? That may actually come to pass, but only after so many years the the original is looking worn.

I would love to see this, but am not counting on it...

Small World also gets a holiday version at DL. Country Bears used to get one in WDW, but no more.

EpcotServo

What I love is how little some of you people actually know.

Oh wait...no, nevermind. I don't like that so much.

"Bird on a stick" is actually a pretty complicated cantilever device built onto the side of the Mountain, so it's pretty hard to access. And the reason it's there is to show off how that particular bird (Whom you'd know about if you ever paid attention in the queue) actually floats vertically just like that on Mountain winds.

May have looked a tad silly, but I know Joe Rhode himself rode the ride 14 times in a row, seven with the bird on, Seven with the bird off, and when he was done the decision was amongst everyone that it should stay.

Imagineering rejects your grievances.

Ha!

(And personally I want Waterfall B back first...Oh, and you can't see Track Switch 2 from Broken Trestle if you're in the train.)

Buried20KLeague

"Bird on a stick" is actually a pretty complicated cantilever device built onto the side of the Mountain, so it's pretty hard to access. And the reason it's there is to show off how that particular bird (Whom you'd know about if you ever paid attention in the queue) actually floats vertically just like that on Mountain winds.

May have looked a tad silly, but I know Joe Rhode himself rode the ride 14 times in a row, seven with the bird on, Seven with the bird off, and when he was done the decision was amongst everyone that it should stay.

Ha!

(And personally I want Waterfall B back first...Oh, and you can't see Track Switch 2 from Broken Trestle if you're in the train.)

I don't care if it's made out of unicorn horns and magic. It looks ridiculous.

Seems to me they don't have anyone to complain to but themselves if it's difficult to access. :shrug:

Now that you said that though, I remember reading that.

Figment632

Have you rode bigger coasters? Say The Hulk, Kumba, DD, Superman, Kraken?

EE gives me the thrill of those and the theming of Disney. Perfect ride.

I guess we have a major difference of opinion on this one :shrug:

Yea I guess we do EE just isn't a must do when I'm in DAK. I've been on Hulk and Superman, to be honest I prefer a good dark ride over a coaster but that's just me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Ha!

I do not doubt that that was said but they did an incredibly crappy job of implementing in. Had the thing had any motion, even the slightest sense of realism or had they at least made the pole out of clear plexy I would have liked it. The thing looked like a plastic bird you would get at Home Depot to scare away other birds on top of a broom stick.

Animaniac93-98

Yes.

Yes it is made of unicorn horns and magic.

I'm surprised I didn't mention that actually.

Most people are unaware that unicorns still exist because Disney owns most of the shares in the unicorn poaching and ranching business.

Horns and magic are used for theme parks props while blood and tears are used to make DVD/Blu-ray slipcovers shiny. Most veal served in Disney operated restaurants is actually unicorn young because the taste is pretty much the same, the health inspector's district does not cover the factories where the meat is produced and it's far more hilarious to slaughter.

Just more magic from Disney!

EPCOT Explorer

I'm all for it.:D Would be nice thing to tote in DHS for the Holidays.

I would like it. But my prediction is DCA yes, DHS no.
:dazzle::lol: Oh, Disneyland...Always trumping us.:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, if it's as easy as they make it sound, why not?
A: Yes, it's true that Midway Mania is designed for that.

B: I would extremely lower any hopes you may have about it happening, for this year at least.

It does seem a little bit late to be talking about it, but that's the only thing that says "NO" to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom