Hidden Gems??

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
We are currently planning trip 11 and need some help. We have eaten at most all of the mainstream restaurants in the World at some point. What I'm wondering is, are there any "hidden gems" or underrated restaurants that we need to try or look at that we may not have thought about in the past?

Example - The Plaza Restaurant - we have never eaten there and honestly forget all about it even thought it is right there off of main street. Is it good? Typical WDW food or something we need to try?

Sweet Melissa

I wouldn't consider the Plaza a hidden gem. People like it because it's one of the most inexpensive table service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom, and because of that, waits can be long and the place is always packed to the rafters. There are better ways to eat a sandwich in WDW.

Olivia's Café would be my pick for favorite hidden gem right now. The Cabana Bar and Beach Club at the Dolphin is a very close second. It's a fantastic lunch spot.

CaptainAmerica

We are currently planning trip 11 and need some help. We have eaten at most all of the mainstream restaurants in the World at some point. What I'm wondering is, are there any "hidden gems" or underrated restaurants that we need to try or look at that we may not have thought about in the past?

Example - The Plaza Restaurant - we have never eaten there and honestly forget all about it even thought it is right there off of main street. Is it good? Typical WDW food or something we need to try?
People who like the Plaza usually go there for the iconic Main Street feel, but the food is nothing special. It's mostly burgers.

Maybe it'll help some more if you give us an idea of some of the places you have eaten so we can get a better idea of where you haven't. Do you typically do your dining in the parks or have you gone to resorts for meals?

ratherbeinwdw

We really enjoy The Plaza.... We are going back in December. We enjoy sitting by the window and people watching. We actually like their food. It's not the typical stuff you get at the quick service locations. I would recommend you give it a try.

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
People who like the Plaza usually go there for the iconic Main Street feel, but the food is nothing special. It's mostly burgers.

Maybe it'll help some more if you give us an idea of some of the places you have eaten so we can get a better idea of where you haven't. Do you typically do your dining in the parks or have you gone to resorts for meals?
I just ran through the "golden spoon" list and we have hit about 60 of the 224 listed restaurants (I did not include the F&G or the F&W kiosks). That is about 27% of all of the restaurants. That leaves 73% that we have never tried. I'm hoping to get some ideas without have to list out all 60. :)

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
It's qs but my favorite hidden gems are CHH and eating upstairs and TC shhhhh I'll deny this if you spread it around LOL
I think TC sounds good but I don't think my boy's (DH and DS) will be that into it. We tried CHH for the first time in February and we loved the seafood mac!! I think that will be on the revisit list for the next trip.

disney4life2008

I wouldn't consider the Plaza a hidden gem. People like it because it's one of the most inexpensive table service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom, and because of that, waits can be long and the place is always packed to the rafters. There are better ways to eat a sandwich in WDW.

Olivia's Café would be my pick for favorite hidden gem right now. The Cabana Bar and Beach Club at the Dolphin is a very close second. It's a fantastic lunch spot.

I do not think $15 for a burger is cheap. I actually find their prices to be very high. But I have heard the food is really good.

Disnee4Me

We really enjoy The Plaza.... We are going back in December. We enjoy sitting by the window and people watching. We actually like their food. It's not the typical stuff you get at the quick service locations. I would recommend you give it a try.
Can you go there and just get dessert? I think they have ice cream sundaes, don't they?

disney4life2008

My hidden gem is Columbia Harbour at MK. Though, it has seen a recent influx of guests in the last few weeks. The shrimp basket with fries, and the clam chowder are reasonably priced and DELICIOUS!

At AK: Yak and Yeti QS is amazing and very inexpensive. I think you can get a large chicken fried rice for a few dollars. Only problem it is no indoor seating.

HS/EP: None

PhilharMagician

House of Blues can be quiet at times which is nice.

Top of the World Lounge is more of a bar, but does have apps available. Around 5:00 when they open it is very quiet and we have been the only ones in there at times. Have a couple of cocktails and split a few different food items and call it a meal.

Bistro de Paris was once a hidden treasure, but now as Monsieur Paul I have heard some disappointing reviews. I loved having a window seat and watch all the people walk by and have no idea that you were watching.

There really is nothing that is hidden in WDW anymore.

Sweet Melissa

I do not think $15 for a burger is cheap. I actually find their prices to be very high. But I have heard the food is really good.
I don't think it's cheap either, but it is the least expensive table service restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. They have several entrées under $15, which isn't true of any of the other TS locations in the park. The most expensive dinner entrée is $18.99 meatloaf dinner. That's on par with the least expensive entrée at Be Our Guest, and the same price as a plate of spaghetti at Tony's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom