Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
image.php
=
broken_record.jpg

movealongpeopl128622042109378742.jpg

jt04

By doing necessary refurbs that are way passed due?

Absolutely. The Eisner era has not only ended, it's momentum (which was substantial) has been stopped and is now reversing. No easy task in my opinion.

By the way, I learned today that the plot at Disneyland for the third theme park (or whatever) has been designated to be a parking lot for the forseeable future.

So the spin that Disneyland is managements only priority just might be false. I see it as good news for WDW. The tide is turning!

For what it's worth, I didn't say SM was getting a prefurb. TTA however appears to be. I think SM will get a complete makeover in a few years and TTA will be plussed at that time. Fantasyland may be the priority for the 40th. I don't know time frames and I don't think they have made those decisions yet.

My point is the MK is no longer declining. It is improving, but infrastructure budgets sometimes have to trump show budgets. Everything in life can't follow the "fast food" business model.

SM is not going to go down again within "a few years" for another refurb (or prefurb). They had enough trouble taking it down one time, and they are not going to take it down twice in a short time frame.

Really? It was "supposed" to. By whose account? There are always comprehensive plans that get changed, scaled back, canceled, revived. There are no set rules because these decisions are very complex and involve multible factors.

For example, there may be a million dollars targeted to a set project such as replacing a bridge. But, when the engineers start the project they discover the bridge supports are rotted and the money is then reallocated to fix those instead. Or a project could go out for bid but before construction starts the winning bidder goes bankrupt and the project gets scaled back. Or a system can be found to have safety issues and again a project may have to be redesigned. Just because our insiders have some information does not mean they have all the information. The "one-size- fits-all" explanation that "TDO is cheap and they should all be fired so I can move in" explanation for everything has proved about as accurate as it's grossly simplistic conclusions.

The only insider who seems to have an engineering background is Martin.

And I stand by my conclusion that not only is the MK improving, it is doing so rapidly.

All those things are definitely possible. Just as possible as TDO simply not wanting to spend the money to do more things in the mountain.

jt04

SM is not going to go down again within "a few years" for another refurb (or prefurb). They had enough trouble taking it down one time, and they are not going to take it down twice in a short time frame.

Well the rumor was the "adds" will happen within the normal rehab schedules or on third shift. This seems to be a more common practice. It was used on the Haunted Mansion as there was some tweaking and detail added after the opening. I'm sure it increases labor costs but there are many benefits also.

Well the rumor was the "adds" will happen within the normal rehab schedules or on third shift. This seems to be a more common practice. It was used on the Haunted Mansion as there was some tweaking and detail added after the opening. I'm sure it increases labor costs but there are many benefits also.

Tweaking and detailing is one thing. But I cant think of any attraction that has received anything significant without some sort of downtime?

jt04

Tweaking and detailing is one thing. But I cant think of any attraction that has received anything significant without some sort of downtime?

I think they may be implementing a new maintenance schedule. For instance LMA is scheduled to shut down for a couple days. I am sure they are not planning to neglect things in the future like they have done in the past. The days of waiting until things fall apart to do refurbs seems to be in the past. I suspect it is because it leads to much more expensive fixes.

As an example, regularly changing your cars oil is probably cheaper than driving it until the engine fails and then fixing the engine. :lol:

I don't think third shift work will replace downtime however. I think you may see more downtime scheduled but for shorter periods.

Less than 4 weeks to D23.

_Scar

Enough of Space Mountain. Disney needs something huge or brand new with state of the art technology. TLM might just be a response to high capacity.

EPCOT Explorer

For what it's worth, I didn't say SM was getting a prefurb. TTA however appears to be. I think SM will get a complete makeover in a few years and TTA will be plussed at that time. Fantasyland may be the priority for the 40th. I don't know time frames and I don't think they have made those decisions yet.

My point is the MK is no longer declining. It is improving, but infrastructure budgets sometimes have to trump show budgets. Everything in life can't follow the "fast food" business model.
But what's the point of that? It "ruins" more vacations to keep it opened and closed periodically? Why not just close it for a good, long while and open it at the best of it's ability? Anything else seems cheap and un-Disney to me.:shrug:
The only real one for that has been SSE. I think HM was still in the testing phase.

Skip

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously jt... I'm loving all the enthusiasm and I hope and pray that what you're saying is right, and that things are changing... but I think there's a line in certain cases and you've crossed it. This project is/was done on the cheap, far less than it deserved/needed. Space Mountain is certainly not going to close down again in a few years... that makes no sense. We can only hope other refurbishments (Jungle Cruise please) go better.

jt04

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously jt... I'm loving all the enthusiasm and I hope and pray that what you're saying is right, and that things are changing... but I think there's a line in certain cases and you've crossed it. This project is/was done on the cheap, far less than it deserved/needed. Space Mountain is certainly not going to close down again in a few years... that makes no sense. We can only hope other refurbishments (Jungle Cruise please) go better.

We just don't know that yet. ES has changed my viewpoint on SM when he informed us less than 20% of MK's guests go on the ride. Rather than looking at SM as being done "on the cheap", perhaps Disney has decided those dollars are better spent elsewhere. Like Fantasyland.

Time will tell and very soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom