Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

jt, the best thing about your speculation and predictions is there is really no way for you to go wrong.

So lets say space surprises us all and is a wonderful refurb. Then you get to say "see, TDO is doing things right now"

Or if it underwhelms us and is just simple things, you get to call it a prefurb and just keep on speculating its part of some master plan....

Any attraction can have things added after the fact. But more often than not, that does not happen. See SSE for a recent example.

krankenstein

Captain_Picard_is_Pleased_by_cptmea.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

:ROFLOL:

jt, the best thing about your speculation and predictions is there is really no way for you to go wrong.

So lets say space surprises us all and is a wonderful refurb. Then you get to say "see, TDO is doing things right now"

Or if it underwhelms us and is just simple things, you get to call it a prefurb and just keep on speculating its part of some master plan....

Any attraction can have things added after the fact. But more often than not, that does not happen. See SSE for a recent example.
This.:)

ttalovebug

So a few days ago I was riding the bus from EPCOT to Studios and they were playing the HP movie score the entire time. I know they play all kinds of movie music at Studios but........still kind of weird, I thought. If I didn't know any better, I would be thinking, "Oh! The new HP land must be open at Universal MGM Studios! I can't wait!" :shrug:

EpcotServo

So a few days ago I was riding the bus from EPCOT to Studios and they were playing the HP movie score the entire time. I know they play all kinds of movie music at Studios but........still kind of weird, I thought. If I didn't know any better, I would be thinking, "Oh! The new HP land must be open at Universal MGM Studios! I can't wait!" :shrug:

We've had Harry Potter at Studios for some time now, does it get any credit for being first? NO.

:brick: :)p)

jt04

Oh, that is a two way street. If Disney does nothing people accuse them of not caring, cheapness, Walmarting etc. And if they do something the same people complain about closed attractions and "depressing" construction walls.

I really think Liberty Square is the shining example of where the MK is heading in the long run. It's just a long and complicated process.

Sure they could have done the supreme Space Mountain refurb but the money would have to come from somewhere. Perhaps they should have canceled WoC to pay for it. Or perhaps they could have slashed the budget for an upcoming Pixar movie to get the money. Or perhaps not. You have to look at it in the larger scheme of things. Prefurbs, phased rehabs, cutting schedules, seasonal closures, seasonal openings, layoffs, reduced hours, flexible schedules etc etc etc are all part of a much bigger picture. And as a whole, I'm convinced TWDC is heading in the right direction. I might be proven completely wrong after the D23 Expo. Or I might be proven right.

I'm the one out on the limb here. I think your characterization of my stance is a bit on the simplistic side. But I can tell you mean well. :wave:

PS- I understand Disney does not use the word "prefurb". I know that because I coined the word. But it really is descriptive of some of the projects recently.

Skip

I'm pretty sure Lee established that there is NO prefurb for Space Mountain - THIS IS IT. I don't understand how this can be factored into a greater Magic Kingdom.

jt04

I'm pretty sure Lee established that there is NO prefurb for Space Mountain - THIS IS IT. I don't understand how this can be factored into a greater Magic Kingdom.

But Martin said they are "overbuilding" the track so it will be able to accept heavier ride vehicles in the future. It is also rumored in many places that new effects will be added after SM reopens. So, I'm just waintin' and seein'.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
But Martin said they are "overbuilding" the track so it will be able to accept heavier ride vehicles in the future.

I expect that being more to do with the increasing lard buckets in said vehicles rather than some super dooper new ride vehicle.

Oh, that is a two way street. If Disney does nothing people accuse them of not caring, cheapness, Walmarting etc. And if they do something the same people complain about closed attractions and "depressing" construction walls.

I really think Liberty Square is the shining example of where the MK is heading in the long run. It's just a long and complicated process.

Sure they could have done the supreme Space Mountain refurb but the money would have to come from somewhere. Perhaps they should have canceled WoC to pay for it. Or perhaps they could have slashed the budget for an upcoming Pixar movie to get the money. Or perhaps not. You have to look at it in the larger scheme of things. Prefurbs, phased rehabs, cutting schedules, seasonal closures, seasonal openings, layoffs, reduced hours, flexible schedules etc etc etc are all part of a much bigger picture. And as a whole, I'm convinced TWDC is heading in the right direction. I might be proven completely wrong after the D23 Expo. Or I might be proven right.

I'm the one out on the limb here. I think your characterization of my stance is a bit on the simplistic side. But I can tell you mean well. :wave:

PS- I understand Disney does not use the word "prefurb". I know that because I coined the word. But it really is descriptive of some of the projects recently.

For what its worth, im really not rooting against you being wrong or anything. Infact, I hope your right. I hope that the magic kingdom gets immense amounts of new attractions and upkeep. I just dont see it happening. To me, Space Mountain looks like just a cheap refurb and I believe this will be it. Like you said, time will either prove me right or wrong.

I guess my major beef with your speculation is theres no timeframe (or I missed one if you gave it). When is the cutoff? For example, if 3 years from now you seeing that Space has not changed, would you consider it not a prefurb at that point?

jt04

For what its worth, im really not rooting against you being wrong or anything. Infact, I hope your right. I hope that the magic kingdom gets immense amounts of new attractions and upkeep. I just dont see it happening. To me, Space Mountain looks like just a cheap refurb and I believe this will be it. Like you said, time will either prove me right or wrong.

I guess my major beef with your speculation is theres no timeframe (or I missed one if you gave it). When is the cutoff? For example, if 3 years from now you seeing that Space has not changed, would you consider it not a prefurb at that point?

For what it's worth, I didn't say SM was getting a prefurb. TTA however appears to be. I think SM will get a complete makeover in a few years and TTA will be plussed at that time. Fantasyland may be the priority for the 40th. I don't know time frames and I don't think they have made those decisions yet.

My point is the MK is no longer declining. It is improving, but infrastructure budgets sometimes have to trump show budgets. Everything in life can't follow the "fast food" business model.

MousDad

I think SM will get a complete makeover in a few years and TTA will be plussed at that time.

All you've done is tornadoed back to what everyone has known for some time, and has not changed, and has been confirmed by insiders on this board - namely that SM was supposed to receive that complete makeover now, but isn't.

jt04

All you've done is tornadoed back to what everyone has known for some time, and has not changed, and has been confirmed by insiders on this board - namely that SM was supposed to receive that complete makeover now, but isn't.

Really? It was "supposed" to. By whose account? There are always comprehensive plans that get changed, scaled back, canceled, revived. There are no set rules because these decisions are very complex and involve multible factors.

For example, there may be a million dollars targeted to a set project such as replacing a bridge. But, when the engineers start the project they discover the bridge supports are rotted and the money is then reallocated to fix those instead. Or a project could go out for bid but before construction starts the winning bidder goes bankrupt and the project gets scaled back. Or a system can be found to have safety issues and again a project may have to be redesigned. Just because our insiders have some information does not mean they have all the information. The "one-size- fits-all" explanation that "TDO is cheap and they should all be fired so I can move in" explanation for everything has proved about as accurate as it's grossly simplistic conclusions.

The only insider who seems to have an engineering background is Martin.

And I stand by my conclusion that not only is the MK improving, it is doing so rapidly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom