Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

_Scar

They were. I know they were. I just don't know how much they've done about it. I hope it's what you think it is, but if they were that appalled, I don't know why half of TDO still gets a Disney paycheck.

Wasn't Lasseter the one who supposedly pulled for the FL expansion?

jt04

They were. I know they were. I just don't know how much they've done about it. I hope it's what you think it is, but if they were that appalled, I don't know why half of TDO still gets a Disney paycheck.

Again a guess, but it appears TDO employees were doing everything they could with the budget they had to work with. Eddie Sotto talked about how employees at DL did this during years past in his thread today. Very heartening to know there are people like that still going above and beyond.

I also remember someone writing on here that the Jungle Cruise was leaking into underground areas. So is it possible a lot of MK's budget has been eaten up fixing such problems? I think it likely is.

It appears though, they are finally starting to put the years of neglect behind them and catching up.

Skip

Oh, my friend. They went very, very cheap on the POTC refurb. There was so much cut out of that it isn't even funny.

Audio system anyone?

Regarding jt: Honestly this all seems to be your speculation of what's going on... not what's actually happening... like Goofy said, I'm pretty sure the Jungle Cruise refurb was mainly to repair the rotting dock, and the Space Mountain refurbishment is all we're getting...

jt04

Audio system anyone?

Regarding jt: Honestly this all seems to be your speculation of what's going on... not what's actually happening... like Goofy said, I'm pretty sure the Jungle Cruise refurb was mainly to repair the rotting dock, and the Space Mountain refurbishment is all we're getting...

I got that from Martin and he has been pretty reliable.

And nobody has any comments about this.............

http://www.brianorndorf.com/2009/08/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-construction-update-81209.html

:)

SirGoofy

I also remember someone writing on here that the Jungle Cruise was leaking into underground areas. So is it possible a lot of MK's budget has been eaten up fixing such problems? I think it likely is.

Jungle leaking into the tunnels? No, they were pulling your leg. There are no tunnels that come anywhere near the Jungle from my knowledge, and believe me, I would have heard about that if it was true.

As for your defense of TDO doing all they could with the budget? You're kidding right? Time and time again we've been told about them cutting budgets left and right, not pushing them to their limit.

jt04

Jungle leaking into the tunnels? No, they were pulling your leg. There are no tunnels that come anywhere near the Jungle from my knowledge, and believe me, I would have heard about that if it was true.

As for your defense of TDO doing all they could with the budget? You're kidding right? Time and time again we've been told about them cutting budgets left and right, not pushing them to their limit.

They did not say tunnels. Possibly electric/telephone vault or some such. :shrug:

And it does not appear the budget was cut for anything in Liberty Square. Can you explain that?

Lee

Adventurer
Explanations are always welcome.
Ok.
There are no major leaks at Jungle. Certainly none that would in any way interfere with the long-planned refurb over there.
The Jungle refurb (the real one, not the emergency dock replacement from a while back) has been on the schedule and bounced around for years now. Almost as long as SM. (Speaking of which, I offer a quote from a source near the project: "Prepare to be underwhelmed.":rolleyes:)

jt04

Ok.
There are no major leaks at Jungle. Certainly none that would in any way interfere with the long-planned refurb over there.
The Jungle refurb (the real one, not the emergency dock replacement from a while back) has been on the schedule and bounced around for years now. Almost as long as SM. (Speaking of which, I offer a quote from a source near the project: "Prepare to be underwhelmed.":rolleyes:)

Um, I didn't say currently. It was explained they had to shut down JC last year to fix infrastructure problems (including the leak) and while it was shut down they took the time to fix some things that were cosmetic.

It was posted by a regular that works at the JC but hasn't been around much lately. I remember it well however.

Lee

Adventurer
And it does not appear the budget was cut for anything in Liberty Square. Can you explain that?
Yep. Easy.
The scale/cost of HoP, for example, was a fraction of what SM's is/was/should have been and Jungle's will be. (If it ever happens in anywhere near it's full form)

Um, I didn't say currently. It was explained they had to shut down JC last year to fix infrastructure problems (including the leak) and while it was shut down they took the time to fix some things that were cosmetic.
That was nothing. Not even really a refurb. Just some needed maintenance to repair some very small issues.
The real JC refurb will be far more extensive.....I hope.

jt04

Yep. Easy.
The scale/cost of HoP, for example, was a fraction of what SM's is/was/should have been and Jungle's will be. (If it ever happens in anywhere near it's full form)

That was nothing. Not even really a refurb. Just some needed maintenance to repair some very small issues.
The real JC refurb will be far more extensive.....I hope.

*sigh*

That has been my whole point. That these major infrastructure issues are the priority and eventually the budget will go to the stuff the guest experience (show). Cause you can't have a Jungle Cruise if the power is out, and you can't soar through space if asbestos is falling on your head. It really is a "first things first" priority. So I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by space. If I can ride it safely, I'll be happy. They can add more bells and whistles later. They need to get the "prefurb" right to start.

RSoxNo1

It makes me wonder because they weren't cheap with the HM refurb or Potc so why did they have to stall out on SM and makes its refurb half done.

Oh, my friend. They went very, very cheap on the POTC refurb. There was so much cut out of that it isn't even funny.

The sound system was to be replaced, and wasn't. You're still hearing speakers from the 70s. Many, many mechanical issues were ignored, and the original plans called for an added, outdoor scene, that was cut because, "Guests will like it no matter what.":brick:

Slight correction...
They were cheap on the PotC refurb. Much was cut from the proposals, ranging from new show scenes to upgrades to the audio and lighting systems.

EDIT: Sir Goofy beat me to it. Take my post as a bit of confirmation.

Ok.

My understanding on Pirates was that the biggest thing that was ignored was the sound system, and when I brought a first timer there last December he absolutely hated the ride because he couldn't understand what they were singing. Along the same token, he loved the Haunted Mansion.

As for budget cuts though, my understanding on Mansion was that they got lucky with a few things - finding old rolls of the wallpaper and utilizing that for some new effects. The biggest part of the Mansion refurb for me was the sound - the other effects were great, but the sound blew me away.

Lee

Adventurer
That has been my whole point. That these major infrastructure issues are the priority and eventually the budget will go to the stuff the guest experience (show). Cause you can't have a Jungle Cruise if the power is out, and you can't soar through space if asbestos is falling on your head. It really is a "first things first" priority.
But that is not actually accurate.
Management is not looking at what is happening at SM as a "prefurb". This is it, the refurb that has been put off many times, been through many incarnations....this is it.
Yes, I am told that they have left options open for potentially adding a few more things in years to come, but there is no guarantee (plan, budget, etc) for that to ever happen. It may well not.
The Jungle refurb has been on and off the calendar for years, being bumped repeatedly by other attractions. The minor work that has happened is not related to that refurb in any way. In fact, if they would have kept it on the schedule and done it when they had planned, none of the other extra work would have been needed.

jt04 said:
So I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by space. If I can ride it safely, I'll be happy. They can add more bells and whistles later.
Nope. I'm not. No excuse for it at all. Makes more sense all around to close it once and do it right. That isn't happening, and there is no reason to believe that just because they can add something later, that they actually will .(New Star Tours destinations years ago?)
Based on what I'm hearing, they took the cheap way out. Period.

To sum up: There is no such thing as a "prefurb". They simply don't look at it that way.

Skip

To sum up: There is no such thing as a "prefurb". They simply don't look at it that way.

That's made the most sense of the things I've read through all this "prefurb" mumbo jumbo that JT has been talking about. It took long enough for Space to just get THIS refurbishment... and lord knows we "can't close an E-ticket"... so common sense on what has happened so far would dictate that Lee is correct and unless we get blessed by a miracle this is all Space will see. Call me dissappointed.

Now as for Jungle... I pray it gets the refurbishment it deserves, as it doesn't seem too late yet... I want some piranhas. (And fixing the godawful audio in Pirates would be nice, too.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom