Hands On - FastPass+ for non-resort guests at Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Disney is doing their part it seems and keeping up with the pace. Good to see. Now its up to the guests to utilize some common sense when using the kiosks during busier hours. That is where more problems will occur I think. I picture some yahoo in a scooter whining to a CM for help and holding up the line.
I+ve+have+been+in+Disney+World+for+the+past+3+_2d96a2ad24d8e0b75f74472c671f915f.jpg

Last edited:

ibaw

Please see my previous post.

In summary, FP+ kiosks are more interactive and; therefore, require more time for the average guest to use. In addition, what someone selects will be based on what's available. If I have to choose between a 3 PM RnRC FP+ or an 8 PM TSM FP+, what do I do? What if it's 4 PM and 7 PM? With more than one person there making the decision, it could take some negotiation. Even with one person, decisions are not made instantaneously.

FP dispensers were simply a matter of sticking in a card and it spitting out a piece of paper. There was no negotiation. I either stick in my ticket now and get a FP for the posted return time or decide I don't want the posted return time and don't even bother to wait for a FP dispenser.

If you will, each FP dispenser should be capable of processing more guests per hour than each FP+ kiosk.

Both require some level of staff to be there to support guest issues. FP or FP+, that's not going to change much. However, if FP+ is slower to use, will Disney have to supplement that staff to expedite the process?

More reasons why I think Disney will be pushing for all Guests to eventually use the app ... It is much more convienient for me to view, create, alter, or cancel my FP+ selections while waiting in a 5 hour artificially inflated standby line for ITTBAB than to search out a kiosk and make my changes there. Ultimately ... I see the kiosk for challenges / those without the smart phone technology. This makes the labor needs substantially less.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, but the FP+ kiosks allow a guest to get 3 FP+ during 1 visit. The old system would require a guest to go to three different FP machines in 3 different locations. So if a visit to a FP+ kiosk takes twice as long as the old FP machines, guests are still spending less total time at them.

If the time required were only three times the time required for the old machines.. you might have a point. But the per-user transaction time is significantly longer and isn't idiot proof (1 in, 1 out) like the old system. Hence why Disney is having to resort to gimmicks like having an 'experienced' user drive the system for guests to minimize time.

Ever have to wait behind someone in line at the ticket machine.. when the person doesn't know what they need, can't figure out the machine, can't feed their money, in.. etc and the entire line sits there and boils waiting for the one 'confused user'? Yeah.. not fun.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If the time required were only three times the time required for the old machines.. you might have a point. But the per-user transaction time is significantly longer and isn't idiot proof (1 in, 1 out) like the old system. Hence why Disney is having to resort to gimmicks like having an 'experienced' user drive the system for guests to minimize time.

Ever have to wait behind someone in line at the ticket machine.. when the person doesn't know what they need, can't figure out the machine, can't feed their money, in.. etc and the entire line sits there and boils waiting for the one 'confused user'? Yeah.. not fun.

So, you would guess that permanent extra staffing will be necessary or there will be a clusterfudge? Or, do you think over time it will become familiar to almost everyone like the last system?

jakeman

This is how it was when FP rolled out initially.

People couldn't follow the picture on the machine and would just stand there until a CM would help. I'll defer to @George for how that will play out long term.
So, you would guess that permanent extra staffing will be necessary or there will be a clusterfudge? Or, do you think over time it will become familiar to almost everyone like the last system?

KevinYee

The data I am curious about is total usage.

If the lack of paper FP tickets in front of the attractions means that some folks simply decided "the heck with it, let's wait in standby since we're right here already and the line is only 25 minutes," then the December 18 2013 distribution of reservations will be lower than the December 18 2012 distribution of reservations. It doesn't take a math degree to see that will mean quicker Standby lines, since fewer people are returning to FP+.

Isn't it becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy? A virtuous cycle of fewer FP users? "Look, the lines are down, so let's just wait in Standby..." thereby CREATING fewer delays for the people an hour later and THEIR lines stay low, so THEY use standby too.

Of course, this is the rollout period. People haven't figured out how to maximize the system. There was all kinds of crazy benefit to FastPass when it started since people thought it was just an option. Over time, as they learned to do what they should do to maximize its usage, the benefit flattened out.

Here, the benefit comes to Standby lines. But I suspect it too will flatten out over time, and Standby lines will tick upward. But not all in one day, I'll bet. This is going to take some time.

Also: being limited to just THREE reservations may represent a smaller number of total reservations for the park versus a year ago.

Long ago, I said Disney had a golden opportunity to reduce dependence on FP (of any flavor), and limiting total reservations per person per day was one way to do it. We may be seeing the benefits of that.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Yes, but the FP+ kiosks allow a guest to get 3 FP+ during 1 visit. The old system would require a guest to go to three different FP machines in 3 different locations. So if a visit to a FP+ kiosk takes twice as long as the old FP machines, guests are still spending less total time at them.

The other issue so consider is that resort guests can use their smartphones, eliminating the need to visit an FP+ kiosk all together.
When it comes to the FP+ kiosks themselves, being able to pick up to 3 attractions at once makes them even slower.

It would be one thing if I walked up to an "Expedition Everest only" FP+ kiosk and had to pick one time. That wouldn't be so bad.

However, it's not simply a matter of picking a time.

Now, I have to go through that same process 3 times and select which attractions and what times I want through the interface each time.

Times are not allowed to overlap. I could spend an appreciable amount of time shuffling around my schedule for my 3 FP+ selections.

A lot of onsite guests are already are spending a fair amount of time making their 3 FP+ selections, it's just that they are doing it from the comfort of their homes.

That's why the only efficient use of the FP+ kiosks is to allow all guests to make their 3 FP+ selections prior to arrival, allow all guests to change their FP+ selections from their smart phones, and simply use the FP+ kiosks as a back-up only for those without the technology.

That's not what's happening with today's test. All offsite guests are being told they must make or change their FP+ selections only through the kiosks.

WDW has tens of thousands of offsite guests every day.

Forcing them to use the kiosks is highly inefficient.

In fact, it's so inefficient that I doubt Disney intends today's test to be representative of the final implementation of FP+.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is how it was when FP rolled out initially.

People couldn't follow the picture on the machine and would just stand there until a CM would help. I'll defer to @George for how that will play out long term.

Your defense is 'its new.. people will become accustomed and it will get better'. That is true to a degree.. but it won't ever settle back to the point FP did... because the system itself inherently has more steps, more choices, more complexity, and offers customizations. All of those things increase the transaction time per user. So even under ideal cases... the system is going to take significantly longer per user.

In real-world scenarios, where a large portion of your users are NOT highly familiar with the system or choices... and things go really bad. The designing simplicity is not just about minimal transaction size when you have a familiar user.. but simplicity to require minimal or zero familiarity with the product.

This system includes 'choice' - and anytime you include choice you exponentially increase the risk of users failing to follow along.

This is why relying on the kiosks alone can't possibly be an end state. It just doesn't scale enough to be enjoyable by everyone. They have to give more optimized paths that do not require queuing up in large numbers at concentrated times or places. The App is the most direct way of addressing the wait/queuing/capacity points because it gives everyone their own personal kiosk without any wait. But the App itself is not enough as well due to the barrier of entry...

Where will it end up? I imagine Disney will be staffing ipad helpers for a long long time. People still struggle with ticket kiosks that serve only to buy a train ticket, or a movie ticket... and you still have to staff ticket windows. Disney will have to as well.

Buried20KLeague

Complete bedlam. Just like the detractors predicted. Everest is posting a wait time of March. Bug Life is three Tuesdays from now. Small tribes are forming in the queues and they are developing their own rituals and languages. Hunting parties are raiding other queues.

Oh...wait...

App says Safari and EE both are at 25 minutes.

I'm a detractor and no test, successful or otherwise, will change my view. I take issue with the onsite vs. off difference in experience, and with the total number of FP's they're going to allow per day (regardless of on vs. off). I take issue with the fact that even if I pay their ransom for a Holiday Inn level room at POR, I'll get less than I did the last time (only 3 FP's). I take issue with the requirement to plan ahead down to attraction level, and think it's a slippery slope that will eventually become as difficult to deal with as ADR's. I take issue with the fact that this system is going to create waits at attractions that previously didn't have them due to FP being added where it shouldn't be. These things clearly won't be changing.

I'm watching this test with interest, but wasn't sure what I thought would happen. It's a low week right before the crowds get crazy, in a park with the least amount of variables and options and attendance. If they keep the test going next week, it'll get more interesting (another site is saying this is a 4 day only test, although Steve has said there's no end). But I think @KevinYee 's recent post could have some merit. At least initially.

flynnibus

Premium Member

There obviously is a difference between 'brand new!!' and 'well established' - but the thing about a place like Disney is you always have a influx of n00bs... It's not like your local subway network where eventually 95% of the people get it and the majority are 'familiar users' who are highly efficient with the system.

The system offers too much complexity and customization to ever settle back to where FP was itself. But the real question will be is if smart phones in the park will actually take the majority of the load to minimize the need for the kiosks? If the kiosks remain the dominate tool.. I'd be scared.

psukardi

The problem as others have stated is the need for additional steps & choice.

If your user experience requires a tutorial, you're going to have a bad time. The less moving parts the better, because there are a lot of things that can and will go wrong here. You're in the park - you better hope they have the infrastructure to handle all the internet or mobile connections trying to access the app. The app better have a way of handling a lot of users at any given time - because if Joe Sixpack sees some timeout error he's going to give up on the system. And what's worse than one user not buying into the new product is them telling their friends and others that have yet to use the system that it's busted.

A lot of things have to go right for FP+ to be a success. Very few things have to go wrong for this to go down in the history books of grade a Mongolian charlie foxtrots

scottb411

When it comes to the FP+ kiosks themselves, being able to pick up to 3 attractions at once makes them even slower.

It would be one thing if I walked up to an "Expedition Everest only" FP+ kiosk and had to pick one time. That wouldn't be so bad.

However, it's not simply a matter of picking a time.

Now, I have to go through that same process 3 times and select which attractions and what times I want through the interface each time.

Times are not allowed to overlap. I could spend an appreciable amount of time shuffling around my schedule for my 3 FP+ selections.

A lot of onsite guests are already are spending a fair amount of time making their 3 FP+ selections, it's just that they are doing it from the comfort of their homes.

That's why the only efficient use of the FP+ kiosks is to allow all guests to make their 3 FP+ selections prior to arrival, allow all guests to change their FP+ selections from their smart phones, and simply use the FP+ kiosks as a back-up only for those without the technology.

That's not what's happening with today's test. All offsite guests are being told they must make or change their FP+ selections only through the kiosks.

WDW has tens of thousands of offsite guests every day.

Forcing them to use the kiosks is highly inefficient.

In fact, it's so inefficient that I doubt Disney intends today's test to be representative of the final implementation of FP+.

Sorry, but FP 1.0 is highly inefficient in the sense you have to walk across the theme park (maybe a 5-10 minute walk) to get a fast pass that you will not be able to use until a later time, so then you are walking 5-10 minutes again to another part of the park to go to another attraction only to return later (another 5-10 minute walk) to use your fast pass. Do this three times a day and you just burned 60-90 minutes of your time that you can accomplish in 5 minutes with FP 2.0. I am an AP and I used my Magic Bands in my most recent trip this weekend staying on property and it was great!

ParentsOf4

Sorry, but FP 1.0 is highly inefficient in the sense you have to walk across the theme park (maybe a 5-10 minute walk) to get a fast pass that you will not be able to use until a later time, so then you are walking 5-10 minutes again to another part of the park to go to another attraction only to return later (another 5-10 minute walk) to use your fast pass. Do this three times a day and you just burned 60-90 minutes of your time that you can accomplish in 5 minutes with FP 2.0. I am an AP and I used my Magic Bands in my most recent trip this weekend staying on property and it was great!
It's not a matter of how inefficient FP is for the user.

It's a matter of how inefficient FP+ is for those standing in line behind the user. :)

It's great that you stayed onsite and used MagicBands.

However, we are talking about offsite guests who do not have access to MagicBands and who are being forced by Disney to make or change their FastPass+ selections only at the FastPass+ kiosks.

I promise you that if everyone who stayed onsite could only make their FP+ selections at one of the kiosks after they arrived at the parks, you'd be screaming at how inefficient the system was with tens-of-thousands waiting for a FP+ kiosk.

Last edited:

scottb411

It's not a matter of how inefficient FP is for the user.

It's a matter of how inefficient FP+ is for those standing in line behind the user. :)

It's great that you stayed onsite and used MagicBands.

However, we are talking about offsite guests who do not have access to MagicBands and who are being forced by Disney to make or change their FastPass+ selections only at the FastPass+ kiosks.

I promise you that if everyone who stayed onsite could only make their FP+ selections at one of the kiosks after they arrived at the parks, you'd be screaming at how inefficient the system was with tens-of-thousands waiting for a FP+ kiosk.

For the times I haven't stayed on property (most of the time), I have always wanted to get a FP for Space Mountain when I got off the ride for Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain and have always thought Disney should have a kiosk to allow you to do that as opposed to walking across the park to get the FP for the attraction that you want to go on.

The strange thing about this weekend is that we ended up only using half of the fast passes that we booked.

I do think the biggest problem Disney will have to figure out is all of the advanced-bookings for FP+ that end up not coming to the park that day (especially from AP holders). I would hope their system is setup so that it is smart enough to figure out that if you haven't entered the park by a certain time, you probably aren't going to use your FP+ and take that into consideration in allowing tickets to be distributed.

psukardi

I would hope their system is setup so that it is smart enough to figure out that if you haven't entered the park by a certain time, you probably aren't going to use your FP+ and take that into consideration in allowing tickets to be distributed.

Better be careful with that. What if I planned to go to the MK in the morning and then had a dinner in Epcot. However, I decide if I time things right I can get a quick ride on Test Track in before my dinner. How soon do I have to be in the park to meet your requirement?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Does the kiosk work different than the MDE app does?

When I was using the app to book FP+ on my previous trip, I did not, nor could not, go through and select each individual attraction and time, in different "screens". I chose which 3 attractions I would like. The app would then give me 3-4 different "touring" options with times locked in. If I only chose 1 attraction, it would still give me 3 attractions in each touring option. I had the option to choose one of the suggested options. I do not believe aside from backing out and choosing different attractions, I had the ability to go in and modify an attraction within that touring option. I chose one of the options, or I canceled and started over.
Once I made a choice, I could go in and modify an individual FP+ choice, and try and either select a different time, or a different attraction at the same time slot.
If the kiosk works in the same fashion, it should streamline a majority of user's experience, as they will likely choose their attractions, choose the best plan for them, and move along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom