Hands On - FastPass+ for non-resort guests at Disney's Animal Kingdom

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Good to hear overall. There is certainly an advantage of being able to see/select all your FPs for the day at one time. I do wonder what the long term plan for CMs with iPads is; this system only works if the kiosk wait is minimal (5 mins isn't bad, but I personally think thats about the limit. Anything over 9-10 mins is, I think, too long). I assume dedicated kiosks would eventually be added after the test phase...whenever that is.

Still find it amusing/ridiculous that people are relegated to taking a pic of the kiosk screen to record their return times because there is no way to print a paper receipt.

Out of curiosity, what are stand-by wait times like now as weapproach midday. also, could you comment on the actual kiosk experience? Was it slow, responsive, easy to navigate, straightforward, confusing, etc.?

I would think in the future they could switch many the old FP ticket machines to FP+ kiosks and waits would be less then they were with paper FP since onsite guests can do their choices in advance. They could station just on CM at each spot to help guests.

dreamfinder

Interesting - If that is the case then why is the return time for Everest 2pm?

Thats just how the FP+ system works. I've gone to make FP+ bookings online, and get return times late in the day. But if you go in and modify it, you can usually get much earlier times. At least you could online in advance. They seem to try to spread out the crowd, and also actually try to plan your FP+ bookings in some order so you don't schlep all over the park to get to them.

ajenks22

I get that... but I mention it to highlight when we talk about the 'first kiosks' not being busy... well I'd wager the majority of the people have no idea they want those kiosks when first walking in :)

I wonder if this will stay the case? If so, I know for my visit on Sunday to stop at the kiosks right at the entrance.

sendmejunk77

This would be really awesome. I usually can only get 1 or 2 fast passes a day and they are all for late at night. I love the idea of being able to get them weeks in advance to make sure I don't miss my favorite rides.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How do people who do not have MBs get admitted into the FP line when it's their time. Do they swipe their ticket/card?
Yes they do. All ticket media now has the RFID chip embedded, so it can perform the same functions as a MagicBand, with the exception of the long range transmitter to be used for tracking purposes.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder if this will stay the case? If so, I know for my visit on Sunday to stop at the kiosks right at the entrance.
The new service center at Creature Comforts and the kiosk at Primeval Whirl seems to consistently have no line, or a very short line. I would recommend hitting the first one you see that does not have much of a line. No point in seeking out any specific one, or stopping at the first if it is busy.

BubbaQuest

Thanks for posting all this information!! Looks like things are going well for the first day.

Have you been able to see how many people are entering the queues via the Fastpass entrance that do not have MagicBands? I don't think I would bother with a Fastpass if the standby lines are less than 20 minutes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The way they have it setup that isn't a problem - the kiosks are at all the major attractions, so you really cannot go wrong.

It kind of loses the 'attention' value when the message is intentionally vague. This is all about presentation/psychology.

Here... Disney gives you a piece of paper saying 'check out this new exciting offering!!'
vs
Disney giving you a piece of paper saying "Attention, we've changed the way FP works.. here is what you need to know"

Disney is conveniently avoiding the "FP going away" bit to avoid the "but I don't want to change.." thought.

This angle sacrifices the effort to provide advance notice to trade for positive spin.

ParentsOf4

The new service center at Creature Comforts and the kiosk at Primeval Whirl seems to consistently have no line, or a very short line. I would recommend hitting the first one you see that does not have much of a line. No point in seeking out any specific one, or stopping at the first if it is busy.
We're into the busy part of the day. What are Standby lines like now?

jakeman

We're into the busy part of the day. What are Standby lines like now?
Complete bedlam. Just like the detractors predicted. Everest is posting a wait time of March. Bug Life is three Tuesdays from now. Small tribes are forming in the queues and they are developing their own rituals and languages. Hunting parties are raiding other queues.

Oh...wait...

App says Safari and EE both are at 25 minutes.

Recon443

Complete bedlam. Just like the detractors predicted. Everest is posting a wait time of March. Bug Life is three Tuesdays from now. Small tribes are forming in the queues and they are developing their own rituals and languages. Hunting parties are raiding other queues.

Oh...wait...

App says Safari and EE both are at 25 minutes.
Lord of the Flies like tribes? How does one distinguish the tribes?

Have MagicBand'ers have taken a "I'm with the Band" t-shirt and have turned into a banner? While the "I want WDW to be just like it was in 1989" crowd is distinguished by big hair and spandex? Is Charlie Steiner holding a lantern and saying "Follow me! Follow me to freedom!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom