Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

George Lucas on a Bench

Luckily, you have Season of the Force to entertain you while the Disneyland Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Fantasmic, Mark Twain, Columbia, Canoes, Tom Sawyer's Island, Batman: The Ride, E.T. Adventure, Ghostbusters Spooktacular, Captain EO and the Skyway are closed. At least you can meet Chewie!

Phroobar

Luckily, you have Season of the Force to entertain you while the Disneyland Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Fantasmic, Mark Twain, Columbia, Canoes, Tom Sawyer's Island, Batman: The Ride, E.T. Adventure, Ghostbusters Spooktacular, Captain EO and the Skyway are closed. At least you can meet Chewie!
Slave Leia would be better but Chewie is worth it!

Phroobar

The company is essentially "retiring" slave Leia. No more merch and she'll never meet in that costume. At WDW she's always been out in just her plain white robe.

14322883695622.jpg

Californian Elitist

Anyone have recs for getting to USH from Disneyland without a car?

You can take the Metrolink to Union Station (Los Angeles), and from there, take the Red Line (Metro Rail) all the way to Universal. You get dropped off right at the bottom of the hill, cross the street, and take Universal's tram up to the park/CityWalk.

StarWarsFan2016

Take a shuttle bus. The concierge at the hotel should be able to set you up with one and you can get round trip transportation and day admission at a discount if you book them together. They pick up and drop off directly around most hotels. Public transit in Los Angeles isn't convenient and there can be sketchy characters riding at any time of the day.

hokies37

Thanks to all for your great advice in this thread. You answered a lot of the questions I already had! A little bit of background info: 2 adults and we only have 1 day (I know, I know! But we're only adding a weekend onto a work trip). We are planning to visit on Sunday, May 29 (Memorial Day weekend) and only visit DL. A few more questions: Anaheim Marriott
  • Do any attractions tend to run out of fastpasses? If Season of the Force is still in effect I'd guess Hyperspace runs out before Indy, right? Any fastpass/touring suggestions? We'd like to hit the usual spots that WDW vets need to experience (Matterhorn, Pirates, HM, etc.)
  • Does anyone have experience going on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend? What are the crowds like? I know last year is an anomaly because of 60th anniversary crowds. The crowd calendars I've found seem to disagree on crowd levels.
  • What are the best spots to view Paint the Night? Disneyland Forever? Crossing my fingers there will be 2 Paint the Nights so we can catch the later one.
  • We're staying in the Anaheim Marriott. How's the walk from there?
  • Anything else?
Thank you all in advance!

BrianLo

Hey @GiveMeTheMusic

Just noticed you wrote: " You can expect the Fantasyland Theater (and its show, Mickey and the Magical Map) to close permanently in late 2016 or early 2017 as well."

Is that still a thing? Fantasyland related?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Hey @GiveMeTheMusic

Just noticed you wrote: " You can expect the Fantasyland Theater (and its show, Mickey and the Magical Map) to close permanently in late 2016 or early 2017 as well."

Is that still a thing? Fantasyland related?

From what I've been told, it's no longer the case. The site plan changed from its original plot, and what MiceAge has published is very accurate.

phrog

We just returned from a week at Disneyland. I had to keep apologizing and telling people that I was Disney World trained every time they wanted my ticket or my paper fast pass not my magic band. lol. We had a great time and I really enjoyed bug's land. The new luigi ride is cute and I liked that it was a dancing car. We got fast passes for some things, but other things we just waited in the regular que. I sent him in the single rider line for the matterhorn while I just waited by the exit. I do have some suggestions for the "at large" community, but maybe I should put those in a different post. We found a perfect spot to watch the fireworks, there is a raised dining area with some padded stools between Dumbo and the Casey Jr. train. Tinkerbell flew right over our heads and we had big fireworks behind us and the smaller ones in front of us. We couldn't see what was projected on the castle, but if you like to feel the boom of the fireworks this is a great spot.

phrog

Thanks to all for your great advice in this thread. You answered a lot of the questions I already had! A little bit of background info: 2 adults and we only have 1 day (I know, I know! But we're only adding a weekend onto a work trip). We are planning to visit on Sunday, May 29 (Memorial Day weekend) and only visit DL. A few more questions: Anaheim Marriott
  • Do any attractions tend to run out of fastpasses? If Season of the Force is still in effect I'd guess Hyperspace runs out before Indy, right? Any fastpass/touring suggestions? We'd like to hit the usual spots that WDW vets need to experience (Matterhorn, Pirates, HM, etc.)
  • Does anyone have experience going on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend? What are the crowds like? I know last year is an anomaly because of 60th anniversary crowds. The crowd calendars I've found seem to disagree on crowd levels.
  • What are the best spots to view Paint the Night? Disneyland Forever? Crossing my fingers there will be 2 Paint the Nights so we can catch the later one.
  • We're staying in the Anaheim Marriott. How's the walk from there?
  • Anything else?
Thank you all in advance!

We stayed at the Tropicana and it was one block to the crosswalk and then just cross the street. The Marriott was about three blocks up from that. It might be closer for you to walk to downtown Disney and take the monorail into DL.

BrianV

So, a year away from our first trip! I see that unlike wdw tickets, dl tickets expire even before first use. The Disney site though sells tickets that are good through 2017 whereas the discounted vendors are only good through 2016.

So questions: should I buy early to avoid rate increases? If I do but early and decide to buy an extra day when I go, do they price that off my purchase price or the current price for your ticket? (Finally, I think I read that you can no longer exchange a no-expirey ticket from wdw for a day admission, is this right?)

Thanks!! Tickets fully understood at wdw but not yet at dl!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
So, a year away from our first trip! I see that unlike wdw tickets, dl tickets expire even before first use. The Disney site though sells tickets that are good through 2017 whereas the discounted vendors are only good through 2016.

So questions: should I buy early to avoid rate increases? If I do but early and decide to buy an extra day when I go, do they price that off my purchase price or the current price for your ticket? (Finally, I think I read that you can no longer exchange a no-expirey ticket from wdw for a day admission, is this right?)

Thanks!! Tickets fully understood at wdw but not yet at dl!

Buy early, prices will go up again between now and your trip. If you extend your trip, you will have to pay the difference between what you paid originally and the current price for the new ticket level at that time to add on to the ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom