Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I will be at Disneyland this time next week! Yeeeeeeesss!!! :D

A few more questions for you folks!

Any favorite spots for watching Paint the Night? What direction/route does the parade take? I'm trying to avoid major spoilers for the parade, therefore I haven't wanted to read through the official Paint the Night thread. I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

We'll be there for the very beginning of Halloween time, and I'm looking forward to getting to experience the Halloween overlays for the first time. I was wondering, however - how scary is Ghost Galaxy? From the very little bit that I've read, I've heard that it is a bit scary and terms such as "jump scares" were thrown around. I'm going to ride it regardless, since this will probably be my only opportunity to do so, but I just want to be mentally and emotionally prepared (I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to Haunted House type scary stuff...). ;)

Thank you!!! You all make preparing for trips awesome!

If you don't need to watch from Main Street I would suggest the it's a small world area. If there are two parades it starts in that area, and then when it is over you can have a decent view of the fireworks. I thought the view of the projections were better on it's a small world than the castle.

We watched the PTN parade a couple times from over by the Matterhorn. We went over there shortly after the parade was over for the second parade and found a place to sit on the long bench in that area. PTN is a really awesome parade, I avoided spoilers as well and I enjoyed seeing it fresh.

TuffyCatt

Leaving today!!! We will be landing in LAX (unfortunately, but really the only place we can get a non-stop flight to from the east coast) early this afternoon!! This will be my second visit to Disneyland, another friend's first visit in a long time (she has fallen in love with WDW since she lived on the east coast, and she is excited about seeing Disneyland again with new eyes), and another friend's very first visit! The three of us have done WDW and a Disney cruise together, so Disneyland was the next logical choice. :D I can't say enough how much I appreciate you all answering all of my questions leading up to this trip (and my first visit 2 years ago). It makes it so easy for us to just enjoy the parks, explore, and not worry about the logistics of everything. Thanks again!!!

PacNWTigger

Leaving today!!! We will be landing in LAX (unfortunately, but really the only place we can get a non-stop flight to from the east coast) early this afternoon!! This will be my second visit to Disneyland, another friend's first visit in a long time (she has fallen in love with WDW since she lived on the east coast, and she is excited about seeing Disneyland again with new eyes), and another friend's very first visit! The three of us have done WDW and a Disney cruise together, so Disneyland was the next logical choice. :D I can't say enough how much I appreciate you all answering all of my questions leading up to this trip (and my first visit 2 years ago). It makes it so easy for us to just enjoy the parks, explore, and not worry about the logistics of everything. Thanks again!!!
I hope you have a wonderful trip! I look forward to hearing all about it!!

TuffyCatt

Thank you all! We had an amazing trip! You were right, @raven24, it was HOT! Such a different weather experience than I had when I went in July 2 years ago (which was in the 70s and beautiful). But we were prepared and the heat didn't put much of a damper on our visit. I will try to put together a little report on our visit and some of my thoughts - briefer than my trip report last time so that I can actually finish it. ;) Thank you guys again! :D

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Thank you all! We had an amazing trip! You were right, @raven24, it was HOT! Such a different weather experience than I had when I went in July 2 years ago (which was in the 70s and beautiful). But we were prepared and the heat didn't put much of a damper on our visit. I will try to put together a little report on our visit and some of my thoughts - briefer than my trip report last time so that I can actually finish it. ;) Thank you guys again! :D

Glad to hear it! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on all the new stuff.

Californian Elitist

Yay! Can't wait to hear about it.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I know crazy! But I don't know if there would be a second trip. We live in the Midwest. But who knows, maybe it will be soon. I hear a lot of good things about DLR - most like it better than WDW.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to skip 2016. With Jungle Cruise down for 10 months, Soarin' for several as well, the Rivers, Fantasmic and the Railroad down the entire year - I would say if you can get here before they close, say first week of January, absolutely do it so you can see the park as it was supposed to be seen before it's chopped up for Luke & Leia. If you can't make it in early January, I don't blame you for putting it off.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Jungle Cruise is closing for 10 months? Will it be a Tokyo Disneyland style update? (I hope so!)

Jungle Cruise goes down in January and will reopen in October. I'm not aware of any show upgrades, but that doesn't mean there won't be any. The primary reason for the refurb is to create a "safer" and automatic loading dock/system for the boats.

George Lucas on a Bench

For a long time, I've hoped for updates to the animals. I mean, I know it's old school and that's awesome. It's really fine the way it is because of nostalgia. But I always think about that. They were trying to make the animals look realistic back in the day, right? Bring them into the 21st century. They can do better.

Sometimes I think, what if the jokey tone of the ride was abandoned? I mean, not fully, because I know that would never work. I know it's been jokey for a long time, but it's just ridiculous now. The jokes have gotten stale and I've noticed that skippers rarely deviate from the script and a lot of them just seem miserable whenever I ride. I mean, come on. The Jingle Cruise has plastic fruitcakes all over the place and the skippers just comment, "Oh, look: fruitcake." What? Fire whoever came up with that!

That said, update the animals so that they move around more. Refresh the script. Add more stuff. I mean, why not? It's like the original Disney attraction.

Tigger1988

I don't blame anyone for wanting to skip 2016. With Jungle Cruise down for 10 months, Soarin' for several as well, the Rivers, Fantasmic and the Railroad down the entire year - I would say if you can get here before they close, say first week of January, absolutely do it so you can see the park as it was supposed to be seen before it's chopped up for Luke & Leia. If you can't make it in early January, I don't blame you for putting it off.
Not making me feel great about my Feb trip...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom