Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

BrianV

Buy early, prices will go up again between now and your trip. If you extend your trip, you will have to pay the difference between what you paid originally and the current price for the new ticket level at that time to add on to the ticket.

Thanks. Good to know.

phrog

So, a year away from our first trip! I see that unlike wdw tickets, dl tickets expire even before first use. The Disney site though sells tickets that are good through 2017 whereas the discounted vendors are only good through 2016.

So questions: should I buy early to avoid rate increases? If I do but early and decide to buy an extra day when I go, do they price that off my purchase price or the current price for your ticket? (Finally, I think I read that you can no longer exchange a no-expirey ticket from wdw for a day admission, is this right?)

Thanks!! Tickets fully understood at wdw but not yet at dl!

We added a day to our trip and it ended up costing us an additional $45 per person. We originally purchased a 3 day park hopper at a discount though the DH work.

surfsupdon

I booked my first trip ever out to California and Disneyland to get my first ever, long overdue, Coast to Coast medal. I am booked Aug 30-Sept 4. No hotel yet. Not sure how many ticket days I should get. I rented a car and want to explore LA, Hollywood, Bev Hills, Malibu, Laguna, Newport, Santa Monica Pier, stuff like that. I'd imagine I would get a minimum 3 day ticket, but don't know if I should grab the 4 or even 5 day. LOL.

NobodyElse

I booked my first trip ever out to California and Disneyland to get my first ever, long overdue, Coast to Coast medal. I am booked Aug 30-Sept 4. No hotel yet. Not sure how many ticket days I should get. I rented a car and want to explore LA, Hollywood, Bev Hills, Malibu, Laguna, Newport, Santa Monica Pier, stuff like that. I'd imagine I would get a minimum 3 day ticket, but don't know if I should grab the 4 or even 5 day. LOL.

With the other places you want to see, 3 days would probably be good.

On a side note, Malibu might not be as close as you think. As an experiment, sometime in the next few weeks, you should pull up
Google Maps. Ask directions for (for instance) Disneyland to Malibu Pier, but do it at the approximate time and day of week you might be doing it on your vacation. It'll let you know how long to expect the drive to take. (Repeat with some of the other trips, or legs of trips you might want to do.) That might give you a good idea of what you might want to do, and when to do it.

BrianV

Probably here somewhere, but how much of a premium would you put on flying to SNA instead of LAX? I can get nonstop flights from Boston to LAX for not that much. But not to SNA--only connecting and for more $$. Don't plant to rent a car so would have to factor in transportation from airport to Anaheim. Thoughts?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Probably here somewhere, but how much of a premium would you put on flying to SNA instead of LAX? I can get nonstop flights from Boston to LAX for not that much. But not to SNA--only connecting and for more $$. Don't plant to rent a car so would have to factor in transportation from airport to Anaheim. Thoughts?

It's not worth it to me to not have a direct flight. I'd rather deal with LAX (there's a direct Disneyland shuttle from there as well) than pay more and take more time.

surfsupdon

I am very excited for my trip, and more excited for the things outside of Disneyland than the Resort itself. I literally cannot wait to jump in the Pacific and get salty, and see the sun setting over the water. As a kid who grew up and lives on a barrier island on the right coast, I cannot wait to swim in another ocean and see the sun set, as opposed to the sun rising on my coast.

NobodyElse

I am very excited for my trip, and more excited for the things outside of Disneyland than the Resort itself. I literally cannot wait to jump in the Pacific and get salty, and see the sun setting over the water. As a kid who grew up and lives on a barrier island on the right coast, I cannot wait to swim in another ocean and see the sun set, as opposed to the sun rising on my coast.

Prepare yourself for cooler water temperatures.

Californian Elitist

Might need a wetsuit for the Pacific.

surfsupdon

I am a winter surfer here in NJ and we wear wetsuits mid October- June. Our Atlantic can get to around 38degrees in early Feb.

I will be jumping in that Pacific in my boardies and only my boardies.

On a side note....shouldn't San Diego be warmer water? 'Warm water' is anything over 58degrees.

tirian

You'll need 2 full days to do DL and 1 for DCA. Don't touch the resort on a weekend; the locals flood the resort because for them, it's pretty much like going to the mall or a local playground. You'll have a fantastic time! Be sure to check out Huntington Beach, LA/Hollywood/Santa Monica, etc. If you can, catch a movie at the Dolby Theatre or a special showing at the El Capitan.

NobodyElse

I am a winter surfer here in NJ and we wear wetsuits mid October- June. Our Atlantic can get to around 38degrees in early Feb.

I will be jumping in that Pacific in my boardies and only my boardies.

On a side note....shouldn't San Diego be warmer water? 'Warm water' is anything over 58degrees.

I was comparing our water to Florida Gulf Stream temps. You'll be fine. Figure on high 60s to low 70s.

BrianV

I have very little experience with LAX but shuttles from SNA to Disneyland are very economical. Usually about 20 round trip.

It's not worth it to me to not have a direct flight. I'd rather deal with LAX (there's a direct Disneyland shuttle from there as well) than pay more and take more time.

Thanks! I didn't realized that Long Beach flies non-stop from Boston. Is this a better alternative to LAX? I tend to agree that changing and potentially missing a connection makes flying to SNA less convenient. The flights to Long Beach look actually pretty cheap! Is there a shuttle to Disney from there too?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Thanks! I didn't realized that Long Beach flies non-stop from Boston. Is this a better alternative to LAX? I tend to agree that changing and potentially missing a connection makes flying to SNA less convenient. The flights to Long Beach look actually pretty cheap! Is there a shuttle to Disney from there too?

LGB is closer to DLR than LAX, and a much more manageable airport. SuperShuttle offers service from LGB to DLR, as well as taxis (around $45 according to lgb.org). Not sure if Uber/Lyft can pick up at LGB, so to use one of those you would probably need to walk across the street to another pickup location.

BrianV

LGB is closer to DLR than LAX, and a much more manageable airport. SuperShuttle offers service from LGB to DLR, as well as taxis (around $45 according to lgb.org). Not sure if Uber/Lyft can pick up at LGB, so to use one of those you would probably need to walk across the street to another pickup location.

Awesome. (Taxi cost should be covered since the trip is for a conference. We just will go a few days early and those days of food and hotel are on us!)

Long Beach sounds like a winner. Now I just need Jet Blue to open up their April 17 schedule!!! Might sounds silly considering that I've been to WDW at least 25 times, but I am really excited to go to DL. And not for the "exciting" rides. I want to see sleeping beauties castle. I want to see the submarines. :) :)

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Awesome. (Taxi cost should be covered since the trip is for a conference. We just will go a few days early and those days of food and hotel are on us!)

Long Beach sounds like a winner. Now I just need Jet Blue to open up their April 17 schedule!!! Might sounds silly considering that I've been to WDW at least 25 times, but I am really excited to go to DL. And not for the "exciting" rides. I want to see sleeping beauties castle. I want to see the submarines. :) :)

Warning - you'll probably get hooked! Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom