Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

LWB

@LWB You should try and get your kids to participate in musical chairs on Main Street with Hatter and Alice.

I think I saw Alice and Mad Hatter doing this on our last trip (we went without kids!) - It's so different to see engaging activities like that when characters would be completely mobbed by the crowds at WDW if the same activities happened there! Are children randomly picked or can they ask to participate?

Any other suggestions like that are welcome - I want my kids to be able to experience anything like that where we wouldn't have done it at WDW! Thanks!!

Californian Elitist

I think I saw Alice and Mad Hatter doing this on our last trip (we went without kids!) - It's so different to see engaging activities like that when characters would be completely mobbed by the crowds at WDW if the same activities happened there! Are children randomly picked or can they ask to participate?

Any other suggestions like that are welcome - I want my kids to be able to experience anything like that where we wouldn't have done it at WDW! Thanks!!

They are randomly picked as well. If you happen to catch it, just tell your kids to be preppy and excited.

JillC LI

Buy them in advance. You can get a slight discount through brokers like Way.com, but Disneyland.com is still the best option. You can print them at home and go right to the gate.

Ticket booth lines at DLR can get quite long and move very slowly, so definitely buy in advance. :)

I got mine through Way.com and was also able to print the vouchers at home and go right to the gate. I exchanged the vouchers for tickets at the gate itself, not at the ticket booth. Quick, easy, and nice little discount.

TuffyCatt

I got mine through Way.com and was also able to print the vouchers at home and go right to the gate. I exchanged the vouchers for tickets at the gate itself, not at the ticket booth. Quick, easy, and nice little discount.

Thank you so much for the tip! We're flying from the east coast, so airfare is a bit expensive, so saving anywhere we can is much appreciated!! :D

HauntedMansionFLA

Summer weekdays are not as bad as you might think, generally speaking. In fact, summer crowds can now pale in comparison to Halloween and Christmas crowds. Generally speaking, there's a short dead-ish period between Labor Day and September 12th or so, which is when HalloweenTime kicks off - and then it's anything but dead.

Unless you want to be here for HalloweenTime, I'd advise coming during the summer - June or July are preferable to August, especially if you want to ride Haunted Mansion, as it goes down every year in mid to late August to switch over to Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Would the last week of August be a safe time to go for light crowds and nice weather? Are schools back in session?

Tigger1988

Thanks for the tip on way.com, saving a bit on passes is always a good thing.

Can finally book my Feb trip (DVC room at GCH) on Wed. Can't wait.

LWB

I saw that parks are opening now at 8am with the extra magic hour starting at 7am - How far into August/September do the parks usually continue with the 8am opening time? We traveled last November and the times were 9am opening but an 8am extra magic hour? I didn't know if it tied to a holiday, school going back etc.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I saw that parks are opening now at 8am with the extra magic hour starting at 7am - How far into August/September do the parks usually continue with the 8am opening time? We traveled last November and the times were 9am opening but an 8am extra magic hour? I didn't know if it tied to a holiday, school going back etc.

Typically the entire summer season will be 8am - 12am for Disneyland and 8am - 10pm for DCA. That should last into at least the second or third week of August, and then begin to change on and off depending on the day.

JediMasterMatt

Re: the character interactions - it really is a world of difference between the two coasts. I've found Mickey standing at the beginning of Main Street or in front of the train station with no handler... just having fun and taking photos with a few guests. It's one of the things that really will throw off a first time visitor to DLR if all they are accustomed to is WDW and the ever increasing barriers that are placed between any guests and characters.

Re: Musical chairs - stop by and check the sign board out on the player piano for the day's show times. Musical chairs is always the one that's after the noon lunch rush; but, before 3:00. Usually 1:00-2:00ish and you can tell by looking at the board. Cast members are instructed to not tell you specifically anything about it; but, if you make a few friends - they will let you in on the secret of the scheduling. Try to grab a table near the piano and get there early. They usually pull out enough chairs to get whomever wants in when they initially arrive; but, won't add for any latecomers. My niece "won" the game last year... I still tease her about her "prize".

BTW - the only bad thing I don't like about DLR planning is the awful wait for park hours and more importantly, show confirmation to get confirmed. Book your airfare months in advance and then wait to see if the nighttime spectaculars will be playing when you arrive. Sigh of relief from me as my traditional week before Labor Day STILL has DL Forever, Paint the Night, and WoC 2.0 going each night during the week. The last week of the summer season rocks.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Re: the character interactions - it really is a world of difference between the two coasts. I've found Mickey standing at the beginning of Main Street or in front of the train station with no handler... just having fun and taking photos with a few guests. It's one of the things that really will throw off a first time visitor to DLR if all they are accustomed to is WDW and the ever increasing barriers that are placed between any guests and characters.

Re: Musical chairs - stop by and check the sign board out on the player piano for the day's show times. Musical chairs is always the one that's after the noon lunch rush; but, before 3:00. Usually 1:00-2:00ish and you can tell by looking at the board. Cast members are instructed to not tell you specifically anything about it; but, if you make a few friends - they will let you in on the secret of the scheduling. Try to grab a table near the piano and get there early. They usually pull out enough chairs to get whomever wants in when they initially arrive; but, won't add for any latecomers. My niece "won" the game last year... I still tease her about her "prize".

BTW - the only bad thing I don't like about DLR planning is the awful wait for park hours and more importantly, show confirmation to get confirmed. Book your airfare months in advance and then wait to see if the nighttime spectaculars will be playing when you arrive. Sigh of relief from me as my traditional week before Labor Day STILL has DL Forever, Paint the Night, and WoC 2.0 going each night during the week. The last week of the summer season rocks.

The good news is that Paint the Night, Forever and WOC will be performed nightly for the duration of the Diamond Celebration, so that should comfort some of our far range planners.

Forever will not be presented on Halloween party nights, but PTN will be performed during Halloween parties.

Animaniac93-98

BTW - the only bad thing I don't like about DLR planning is the awful wait for park hours and more importantly, show confirmation to get confirmed. Book your airfare months in advance and then wait to see if the nighttime spectaculars will be playing when you arrive.

As someone used to WDW and DLP, not having park hours, refurb schedules and key show times even 60 days out is very annoying. We don't all live within a 30 minute drive of the place and because of work I can't exactly plan trips less than 6 weeks out. [/rant]

JediMasterMatt

The good news is that Paint the Night, Forever and WOC will be performed nightly for the duration of the Diamond Celebration, so that should comfort some of our far range planners.

Forever will not be presented on Halloween party nights, but PTN will be performed during Halloween parties.

That's good to hear. I knew they were considering it; but, last I head was no DL Forever during weekdays during the offseason.

As someone used to WDW and DLP, not having park hours, refurb schedules and key show times even 60 days out is very annoying. We don't all live within a 30 minute drive of the place and because of work I can't exactly plan trips less than 6 weeks out. [/rant]

As someone who plans my day around photography of the nighttime spectaculars, DLR can be a bit tricky in comparison to WDW; but, that is the price to pay for a much better (operationally speaking) resort. If attractions need to go down, they get pulled down. No FP+ mandates interfering with what needs to be done to keep the quality high. One consolation that planners can take is that historically, DLR is very consistent in their approach to hours and attractions. So, with a bit of review of historical hours and patterns - you can have a very good idea what to expect.

Mawg

I haven't been to Disneyland in over 3 years and wanted information on Radiator Springs Racers. Is the fast pass distribution still the same as when it opened, being located near bugs land? Are the fast pass lines still just as bad? Need to line up 30 minutes prior to open and the line can take an hour just to get a fastpass? I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel, if I get in for a Magic Moring through the GC entrance is this the best way to enter or should I use the main gate to be closer to the line? Since it would be a Magic morning do I have time to ride a few rides before I get in the fast pass line (I assume they won't even let me in the line until the park opens). Would I have time to ride RSR before the park opens then get a fast pass for RSR? A lot of questions but just looking for ways to cut down on waits for this so that I can get this done and enjoy other things.

Kate Alan

I haven't been to Disneyland in over 3 years and wanted information on Radiator Springs Racers. Is the fast pass distribution still the same as when it opened, being located near bugs land? Are the fast pass lines still just as bad? Need to line up 30 minutes prior to open and the line can take an hour just to get a fastpass? I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel, if I get in for a Magic Moring through the GC entrance is this the best way to enter or should I use the main gate to be closer to the line? Since it would be a Magic morning do I have time to ride a few rides before I get in the fast pass line (I assume they won't even let me in the line until the park opens). Would I have time to ride RSR before the park opens then get a fast pass for RSR? A lot of questions but just looking for ways to cut down on waits for this so that I can get this done and enjoy other things.

When we were there almost two weeks ago they didn't have you line up - everyone just waited for that section of the park to be opened and it was a free-for-all rush. The Fastpass distribution is still in the same place - about half the people waiting went in that direction while the rest went straight to standby for RSR. It didn't take long at all to get Fastpasses - it moved very quickly. We grabbed our Fastpasses, stood in line about 20 minutes to ride standby, went back and rode it single rider, then used our Fastpasses since our window opened up.

Not sure how the queue situation would work for a Magic Morning situation though - ours was a regular morning entry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom