Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

cslafferty

The Fairfield is a close walk - closer to the main gates than if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel! We've stayed there twice before, but I just booked a stay at the Carousel Inn, which is a little closer and $50/night cheaper! We haven't been to DLR since Feb. 2006, and am very excited to go back this Dec 5-10! Love WDW in Dec, and I'm sure DLR will be just as magical!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
The Fairfield is a close walk - closer to the main gates than if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel! We've stayed there twice before, but I just booked a stay at the Carousel Inn, which is a little closer and $50/night cheaper! We haven't been to DLR since Feb. 2006, and am very excited to go back this Dec 5-10! Love WDW in Dec, and I'm sure DLR will be just as magical!

Even more so! We actually do Christmas stuff, and you don't have to pay extra for it! ;)

cooleo

Thanks for the info about the Fairfield Inn. Eagerly looking forward to this trip, even more so now that our departure is this Saturday, Going to spend 4 days in Vegas before heading to Anaheim. 60th Celebration here we come. And I am sure Christmas at DLR will be just as magical as WDW is. That is one of our favorite times also.

cooleo

I had an amazing trip and while I do think I still prefer WDW as a whole, I will say there are parts of DL that I much prefer over WDW. Space Mountain in DL ROCKS. Come on WDW, it is time to step up your game on this one. Indy, Great Moment with Mr. Lincoln (unique, I know),Nice to see Toontown now that it is gone from WDW & over at DCA: Carsland, The queue... or lack of line for Soarin, same goes for Toy Story MM... Oh and the weather. Let's go WDW. Surely you can work with Florida / Orlando to do something about this. LOL

TuffyCatt

I'd like to add my thanks to everyone for this thread! As I learned when my family was planning our very first trip to Disneyland back in July 2013, you all are the very best.

My first experience in Disneyland was amazing, and now I'm going back! Instead of going with my family, I'll be going with two of my good friends in mid September (after labor day). We've gone to WDW and on a Disney Cruise together, but this will be our first time going to DL together (and one of my friend's first trip to DL!). We've booked a room at the Best Western Park Place because we wanted somewhere in easy walking distance - looks like this hotel fits that requirement well. I'm super excited to share DL with my friends, and equally excited to have the privilege to get to experience the Diamond Celebration.

Even though I've been to DL now, WDW is still by far the resort I'm most comfortable with, so I'll be reading through these threads eagerly as September approaches and likely adding questions here and there.

First question for you guys - what's the best way to go about getting park tickets? Just buy them when we get there? Is there any advantage to buying them in advance?

Thank you so much!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I'd like to add my thanks to everyone for this thread! As I learned when my family was planning our very first trip to Disneyland back in July 2013, you all are the very best.

My first experience in Disneyland was amazing, and now I'm going back! Instead of going with my family, I'll be going with two of my good friends in mid September (after labor day). We've gone to WDW and on a Disney Cruise together, but this will be our first time going to DL together (and one of my friend's first trip to DL!). We've booked a room at the Best Western Park Place because we wanted somewhere in easy walking distance - looks like this hotel fits that requirement well. I'm super excited to share DL with my friends, and equally excited to have the privilege to get to experience the Diamond Celebration.

Even though I've been to DL now, WDW is still by far the resort I'm most comfortable with, so I'll be reading through these threads eagerly as September approaches and likely adding questions here and there.

First question for you guys - what's the best way to go about getting park tickets? Just buy them when we get there? Is there any advantage to buying them in advance?

Thank you so much!

Buy them in advance. You can get a slight discount through brokers like Way.com, but Disneyland.com is still the best option. You can print them at home and go right to the gate.

Ticket booth lines at DLR can get quite long and move very slowly, so definitely buy in advance. :)

LWB

This thread is so helpful for WDW regulars!!! It helped me last year, so I'm back again with some more questions!

Is Olaf still there? If so, is it a fastpass-only meet? Isn't the Anna & Elsa meet also fastpass-only? Are these disconnected fastpasses? How does it work on days with extra magic hours - are fastpasses distributed when the park opens or before? Curious if we could grab fastpasses for both of them or if fp would have to be pulled one after the other or separate days.

minbrad

What a great thread. Thank you for putting so much time into it. I, too, am a WDW veteran...it's been over 20 years since I've visited DLR and this will be the first time for DH and DD12. We'll be visiting the first week of April 2016 for a week. We'd like to spend a couple of days in LA, 2 days at DLR and currently researching what else we'd like to do. With 2 full days, do you suggest park hopping or just dedicate 1 day to each park?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
What a great thread. Thank you for putting so much time into it. I, too, am a WDW veteran...it's been over 20 years since I've visited DLR and this will be the first time for DH and DD12. We'll be visiting the first week of April 2016 for a week. We'd like to spend a couple of days in LA, 2 days at DLR and currently researching what else we'd like to do. With 2 full days, do you suggest park hopping or just dedicate 1 day to each park?

Hoppers. As WDW vets you won't need to do as much in DCA and the parks are so close to each other being able to move back and forth is really helpful.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
This thread is so helpful for WDW regulars!!! It helped me last year, so I'm back again with some more questions!

Is Olaf still there? If so, is it a fastpass-only meet? Isn't the Anna & Elsa meet also fastpass-only? Are these disconnected fastpasses? How does it work on days with extra magic hours - are fastpasses distributed when the park opens or before? Curious if we could grab fastpasses for both of them or if fp would have to be pulled one after the other or separate days.

Olaf and the girls are disconnected FPs - you can hold both at the same time on top of an attraction FP. I like to get RSR FPs, then circle back to Hollywood Land and pick up FPs for both meet n greets.

Not sure how EMH affects it.

TuffyCatt

Buy them in advance. You can get a slight discount through brokers like Way.com, but Disneyland.com is still the best option. You can print them at home and go right to the gate.

Ticket booth lines at DLR can get quite long and move very slowly, so definitely buy in advance. :)

Gosh, yes. They move incredibly slow, and short lines are rare.

Thank you guys! This will save us much time and frustration come September! :)

LWB

How about sign-up for Jedi Training at DL? I know at Hollywood Studios in WDW, you need to go first thing in the morning and shows fill up quickly. Same thing on the west coast? I didn't know how quickly shows fill up out there since there are so many other things to do at that park! At HS, Jedi Training is one of so many fewer choices ...

Californian Elitist

How about sign-up for Jedi Training at DL? I know at Hollywood Studios in WDW, you need to go first thing in the morning and shows fill up quickly. Same thing on the west coast? I didn't know how quickly shows fill up out there since there are so many other things to do at that park! At HS, Jedi Training is one of so many fewer choices ...

You can't sign up your kid for Jedi Training at Disneyland. The kids are randomly chosen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom