Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

George Lucas on a Bench

GOTG is so obviously future-proofed in a way Tower of Terror never was. It can be easily altered into something else if GOTG gets stale. I had posited years ago in regards to the Indiana Jones ride, which is very loosely inspired by the IJ series of films, that with some simple modifications it could be altered to remove the character and continue to be a popular thrill ride. Then I experienced The Simpsons Ride and my mind was absolutely blown by how they managed to completely alter the IP without really doing much of anything. With GOTG, all they have to do is change the videos on the screens and replace Teddy Ruxpin with whatever. It's just like the Back to the Future/Simpsons transformation where you know you've been duped because they just painted over everything and changed the movie. Heck, Universal's been doing it for decades with the Hanna-Barbera ride, it just isn't a beloved "E" coupon, which is why no one cares.

Travel Junkie

With all of the "overlay" talk, I find it kind of funny that Disney seems to re-fresh a lot of their rides using a Universal model recently, not just TOT. Changing IP's out and slight alterations. Not much else. Meanwhile Universal is going more Disney as of late by knocking down the existing structure and building from scratch.

Curious Constance

With all of the "overlay" talk, I find it kind of funny that Disney seems to re-fresh a lot of their rides using a Universal model recently, not just TOT. Changing IP's out and slight alterations. Not much else. Meanwhile Universal is going more Disney as of late by knocking down the existing structure and building from scratch.

I keep meaning to ask you, are you Virtual Insanity?

Not are you virtually insane, but are you the same person as the poster Virtual Insanity.

nevol

Partially. It originated as a concept to focus more on California's car culture in the 1950's and '60's. Then Cars came out and they added Radiator Springs Racers to the land. Few years later, Harry Potter opens at Universal Studios Orlando and it's a smash hit so Disney feels they need to make the entire land IP based like Harry Potter is for that full immersion factor. They chose Cars because it was already there, carried the same general theme, and did sell merchandise easily already. But unlike Mission Breakout and Marvel land, it did not originate as a thematically out of place scheme to make money.

Also, let's not forget, Cars Land was in the planning stages for years, and then was under construction for years. It was an entirely new land that made thematic sense in the park and improved it as a whole. There was also no Cars movie being released to sync up with its opening. Mission Breakout, on the other hand, was a 6 month overhaul that barely changed anything and opened alongside a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. A beautifully planned out land vs a quick, cheap overlay for a preexisting attraction to advertise a movie.
And chappie cant tell the difference. He thinks anything with an IP attached to it can give all credit for its success to that IP, and to replicate past IP successes, all one needs to do is slap on another IP.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I feel like Mission Breakout could be easily converted to Tower of Terror again if the time ever came, honestly.

Probably even quicker than it was slapped together. The lobby, hallway and mirror scenes would have to be rebuilt but everything else is pretty much intact and could easily be restored. All the exterior windows were either painted over or boarded up. The Hollywood Tower Hotel sign was carefully preserved backstage.

TROR

Probably even quicker than it was slapped together. The lobby, hallway and mirror scenes would have to be rebuilt but everything else is pretty much intact and could easily be restored. All the exterior windows were either painted over or boarded up. The Hollywood Tower Hotel sign was carefully preserved backstage.

The one and only thing that was actually removed from the overlay was the damage around the elevator shafts on the exterior was sanded down, so to speak, so it sticks out less. Even the fireplace in the lobby, from what I can tell, is still there, they only built over it to hide it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom