Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't love seasonal decorations and overlays at Disney parks. Why? Because the holidays are all around me at home. So when I go to a theme park, I'd like to be able to get away from that, and if I don't go often, I'd like to be able to see the real thing. But I know many locals love it.

The holidays mostly never worked at DLR for me. The decor always looks so tacky and detracts from the beauty of the park, such as the gigantic ugly Mickey pumpkin on Main Street or The Haunted Mansion vandalized with a garbage can on the roof. I don't understand why people like this stuff. It must be me. Another problem is that Halloween in SoCal is gross and hot. It's the hottest time of year in September and October and they're already starting with Christmas. There really is something wrong with that place.

Christmas is similarly tacky and obnoxious with non-stop Christmas music on the PA system driving you insane, an obviously fake tree trying to turn Main Street into Rockefeller Center and the least-wanted holiday overlay ever for the Jungle Cruise with awkward unfunny fruitcake jokes.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
So holidays at DL could be off the table, all because of future crowds in that thing going in the back of the park?

Who knew I could hate this project even more?

I guess we will have to wait and see, but I don't think there is anything to worry about. It does make sense to give the other park more offerings to spread the crowds, but it also makes a lot of sense to make sure Disneyland keeps its popular offerings to spread people out within its own boundaries. Take all the Halloween and Christmas stuff away come 2019, every soul will head straight to Star Wars Land.

EPCOTCenterLover

The holidays mostly never worked at DLR for me. The decor always looks so tacky and detracts from the beauty of the park, such as the gigantic ugly Mickey pumpkin on Main Street or The Haunted Mansion vandalized with a garbage can on the roof. I don't understand why people like this stuff. It must be me. Another problem is that Halloween in SoCal is gross and hot. It's the hottest time of year in September and October and they're already starting with Christmas. There really is something wrong with that place.

Christmas is similarly tacky and obnoxious with non-stop Christmas music on the PA system driving you insane, an obviously fake tree trying to turn Main Street into Rockefeller Center and the least-wanted holiday overlay ever for the Jungle Cruise with awkward unfunny fruitcake jokes.
You're clearly not a local! :)

Professortango1

So is Buzz in MK just an overlay too? What about Nemo's Subs?

How is Buzz an overlay? They went from a movie building and installed ride track, vehicles, sets, animatronics, elevation changes, and interactive elements? I don't think its good, but its clearly a big change from the Time Keeper. Nemo subs is basically just a layover. The lagoon is the same, except with a different painting technique, far less fish, and Darla. The caverns were extended and they replaced the scenes with TV screens, but the ride experience hasn't really changed. Just got dumbed down and more claustrophobic due to the screens being right against the subs.

TROR

No it was a merchandising scheme to promote the sales of their best selling toys.
Partially. It originated as a concept to focus more on California's car culture in the 1950's and '60's. Then Cars came out and they added Radiator Springs Racers to the land. Few years later, Harry Potter opens at Universal Studios Orlando and it's a smash hit so Disney feels they need to make the entire land IP based like Harry Potter is for that full immersion factor. They chose Cars because it was already there, carried the same general theme, and did sell merchandise easily already. But unlike Mission Breakout and Marvel land, it did not originate as a thematically out of place scheme to make money.

Also, let's not forget, Cars Land was in the planning stages for years, and then was under construction for years. It was an entirely new land that made thematic sense in the park and improved it as a whole. There was also no Cars movie being released to sync up with its opening. Mission Breakout, on the other hand, was a 6 month overhaul that barely changed anything and opened alongside a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. A beautifully planned out land vs a quick, cheap overlay for a preexisting attraction to advertise a movie.

Last edited:

dweezil78

It's an overlay on top of an existing attraction though. They basically painted over and redecorated what was already there and what little new stuff that was installed is mostly props, screens and projections. All could be just as easily swapped out and replaced with the next IP Disney wants to push.

If it was an overlay, all the old ToT stuff would still be there...underneath it. All the old sets, decor, etc. It's not. It's gone. It was a conversion or a re-theme or whatever you want to call it. But it's not an overlay.

TROR

If it was an overlay, all the old ToT stuff would still be there...underneath it. All the old sets, decor, etc. It's not. It's gone. It was a conversion or a re-theme or whatever you want to call it. But it's not an overlay.

Have you seen the boiler room? The exterior? Even the lobby is clearly the same just with the skin removed. It's painfully obvious that Mission Breakout was Tower of Terror prior.

Stevek

I absolutely love Christmas at Disneyland...probably my favorite Christmas experience ever. Love the music, love the beauty of the park regardless of the fake tree.

dweezil78

Have you seen the boiler room? The exterior? Even the lobby is clearly the same just with the skin removed. It's painfully obvious that Mission Breakout was Tower of Terror prior.

Right... but keyword here, the skin was removed. It is gone.

When I go to that new local Italian restaurant that was once a Chinese restaurant and there are still the same exact bathrooms and random pieces of evidence that the cuisine was from a different part of the world, I don't consider it an Italian overlay.

TROR

Right... but keyword here, the skin was removed. It is gone.

When I go to that new local Italian restaurant that was once a Chinese restaurant and there are still the same exact bathrooms and random pieces of evidence that the cuisine was from a different part of the world, I don't consider it an Italian overlay.
Boiler room's skin wasn't removed. Even the Fastpass distribution is still themed to Tower of Terror.

SSG

This is a play on a game doing the rounds on Twitter awhile back, but any Disney Park's blog post is massively improved by making the second sentence 'And then the murders began.' Give it a try:

"By day it will be the current attraction, but at night it will be transformed into Guardians of the Galaxy – Monsters After Dark. And then the murders began."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom