Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

JD2000

They will never demonlish ToT. It's a tiny amount of acreage for what is easily agreed upon to be an E ticket, no matter the current theme.
Isn't calling it a special exhibition kind of odd though? Did they do that just to explain why you're looking over the resort mid-ride? I'd also believe the placement of the tower would continue to be awkward no matter where this new land ends up, and demolishing it and replacing it with something better would obviously fix that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That was certainly a very favorable review! I am so excited!

The two parts that jumped out at me:

"If I was somewhat nostalgic for the Tower of Terror attraction when I stepped into the new Guardians queue, it didn’t take long once the ride started for me to forget all about the old Twilight Zone theme."

"For me, the highlight of the new attraction was the seamless mix of practical sets and animatronic figures with the digital screens that have come to dominate most new theme park rides."

TP2000

Original Poster

That's quite a glowing review from Brady McDonald. For those unfamiliar, Mr. McDonald has been known to be very tough on Disneyland in the past. He is the reason why the LA Times is known in local media as being hard on Disneyland, while the local OC Register newspaper was always nicer and softer on Disneyland.

He and his wife are longtime AP's however. Although his wife, Nancy Luna, who is the Foods writer for the OC Register, made quite a public spectacle of herself when she threw a crying hissy-fit at Disneyland's Guest Relations window back in 2009 when they wouldn't give her a gift card on her birthday because her AP was blocked that day so it qualified her for the "Get In Free On Your Birthday" marketing campaign Disneyland rolled out in '09 in the wake of the financial crash of '08. (If your AP wasn't blocked on your birthday, you got a $70 gift card instead. But if your AP was blocked on your birthday, you got in free for the day, which was the point of the whole campaign. But she wanted her cash money, darnit! And Ms. Luna wasn't afraid to cry and yell at the Guest Relations CM staffing the window and then blog about it afterwards.)

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Very Universal-like but not in a bad way. Lots of video screens as expected but it looks like they actually put more effort into the inside than the hot mess on the outside.

Careful there, friend. You've spent weeks building up your rep here as a staunch Mission: Breakout! critic before it was even open. It's a cheap overlay on an ugly-as-sin building with nothing inside but screens and whoreish IP, remember? Let's wait at least until it opens this weekend before you start softening your stance on this new ride.

There's just some things in life that should be constant and predictable. Please don't start changing your tune after just one glowing review from the LA Times. It will scare the women and children.

TP2000

Original Poster
Q&A with WDI and Marvel:

It answers the question of how it fits into HollywoodLand, it doesn't and its not suppose to... It is its own area with a physical line that everyone will see. I'll let you watch to show how Joe describes it.

Very interesting. Of course, I'm immediately fascinated by that weird Rocketeer jacket that Joe Rohde and his ear is wearing. And then there's the Joe Cool Marvel Dudes standing around him, none of whom can be bothered to tuck in their shirts apparently. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
The two parts that jumped out at me:

"If I was somewhat nostalgic for the Tower of Terror attraction when I stepped into the new Guardians queue, it didn’t take long once the ride started for me to forget all about the old Twilight Zone theme."

"For me, the highlight of the new attraction was the seamless mix of practical sets and animatronic figures with the digital screens that have come to dominate most new theme park rides."

Yeah, those are good quotes from Mr. McDonald. Although the very first sentence of his LA Times review sums it all up;

"The new Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout at Disney’s California Adventure is more fun, thrilling and humorous than the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride it replaces."

Okay, then. So DCA has a new E Ticket hit on its hands to rival Radiator Springs Racers. Hopefully it will help soak up some of the Disneyland crowds, but really we're still just worried about the lack of parking and counting down to Star Wars Land in 23 months. Tick, tick, tick...

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Careful there, friend. You've spent weeks building up your rep here as a staunch Mission: Breakout! critic before it was even open. It's a cheap overlay on an ugly-as-sin building with nothing inside but screens and whoreish IP, remember? Let's wait at least until it opens this weekend before you start softening your stance on this new ride.

Nothing has changed. It's still the same cheap and rushed fugly abomination as it always was. I'm just a little surprised that it appears they put some effort into the inside. The queue at least. That is all.

There's just some things in life that should be constant and predictable. Please don't start changing your tune after just one glowing review from the LA Times. It will scare the women and children.

The LA times? Lots of geniuses there. lol

TP2000

Original Poster
The LA times? Lots of geniuses there. lol

Don't get me started on the LA Times. They are truly the worst of the worst when it comes to 20th century dinosaur media trying to remain relevant in the 21st century. From their obvious political bent to their "We Hate Anything That Happens In A Suburb" social commentary, they are like a caricature of themselves at this point. At least they are dying a slow, painful death. So that's nice to watch.

Back to the ride...

I just caught this hysterical line, at the 3:25 mark of this video. I'd like to buy the man a cocktail who asked "What was it like working with the guy with the crazy earlobe?" And Joe Rohde looks displeased and turns his creepy ear away from the cameras.

Kudos to Joe Cool Marvel Guy #2 for bulldozing right through a politically correct answer to that. But still, the guy who asked that question deserves a drink!

At the 3:25 mark...

TP2000

Original Poster
Let's hope DCA's official Grand Opening Ceremony and the Media Event the next two days are better and more exciting than the awkward and weird Grand Opening for Pandora that just took place in Orlando. Here's the two minutes of "highlights" of the official Pandora grand opening, while the hour long real thing was filled with even more awkwardness and slow spots and missed cues.

The Grand Opening for Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! better be more polished and more exciting than that. Maybe Animal Kingdom management outsourced their opening ceremony to a weird hippie wedding planner or something??? She probably already cashed the check from TDO, so it's too late to do anything about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom