Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do they explain why Groot is small inside the ride but huge outside the ride? Confused my friend yesterday.

Do they explain why any of the villains who died in the movie is alive in the park?

Why does street urchin Aladdin appear with Princess Jasmine in Adventureland, but Prince Aladdin appears with Jasmine in Epcot?

Why is Belle a peasant on the concourse of World Showcase but a princess in Akershus?

Professortango1

Do they explain why any of the villains who died in the movie is alive in the park?

Why does street urchin Aladdin appear with Princess Jasmine in Adventureland, but Prince Aladdin appears with Jasmine in Epcot?

Why is Belle a peasant on the concourse of World Showcase but a princess in Akershus?

There's a difference between seeing characters elsewhere around the resort or park vs seeing them at the entrance to the attraction. I only brought it up because a friend was confused by this exact situation. She was wondering why the tree's kid was locked up and why his kid was in the team and not the dad.

October82

I know what you mean because on Indy I always felt bad for the folks who never saw those movies you're trying to tour this temple and all of a sudden this weirdo is holding a magic door for you and yelling at you and then you see him again at the end talking about snakes. Doesn't make any sense.

Indiana Jones is one of the few IP attractions that largely doesn't suffer from this problem. Partly because of the strength of the concept, and partly because it is extraordinarily well executed.

Since it might not have been clear, the criticism here isn't that all IP attractions fail in this regard, but that they face additional challenges.

Professortango1

I know what you mean because on Indy I always felt bad for the folks who never saw those movies you're trying to tour this temple and all of a sudden this weirdo is holding a magic door for you and yelling at you and then you see him again at the end talking about snakes. Doesn't make any sense.
The movie in the queue does set up he's a world renowned archaeologist who has returned to the temple to rescue lost tourists. That's all you need to know.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
She understood the ride was a breakout, but didn't understand why they were captured or how they escaped. She said a thing blew up and monsters attacked and then everyone was okay.

Your friend appears to either have used FP and bypassed the queue or didn't pay attention in the queue. All of it was explained in either the opening video in the queue or Rocket's explanation in the Collector's office.

Professortango1

Your friend appears to either have used FP and bypassed the queue or didn't pay attention in the queue. All of it was explained in either the opening video in the queue or Rocket's explanation in the Collector's office.

She paid attention, but Groot is small in the ride and big outside the ride. The queue doesn't address this disconnect.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
She paid attention, but Groot is small in the ride and big outside the ride. The queue doesn't address this disconnect.

I never said Groot being small was explained, hence the reason I didn't quote it. What I quoted was you said she didn't understand why they were captured or how they escaped. And as I said it all explained in either the opening video in the queue or Rocket's explanation in the Collector's office.

As for Groot being small, just like the queue and other parts of the attraction its a nod to the movies. Not everything in an attraction needs to be explained. For example while we fans know the items in the Matterhorn are homages to past attractions, its never really explained why the smashed Skyway bucket is there to the general public.

Professortango1

I never said Groot being small was explained, hence the reason I didn't quote it. What I quoted was you said she didn't understand why they were captured or how they escaped. And as I said it all explained in either the opening video in the queue or Rocket's explanation in the Collector's office.

As for Groot being small, just like the queue and other parts of the attraction its a nod to the movies. Not everything in an attraction needs to be explained. For example while we fans know the items in the Matterhorn are homages to past attractions, its never really explained why the smashed Skyway bucket is there to the general public.

How they escaped wasn't addressed in the queue. Rocket says he's going to take out the power, but she didn't see the Guardians escape. They went up and they were already out, being chased by creatures. Then after going up and down, they weren't being chased anymore and said thanks. She loved the ride movement, but the story made no sense to her. She didn't know how Rocket took out the power, how the Guardians escaped their cubes dangling over a pit of death they showed in the lobby and how they got rid of the monsters. She said it was like channel surfing , no real connection between images.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How they escaped wasn't addressed in the queue. Rocket says he's going to take out the power, but she didn't see the Guardians escape. They went up and they were already out, being chased by creatures. Then after going up and down, they weren't being chased anymore and said thanks. She loved the ride movement, but the story made no sense to her. She didn't know how Rocket took out the power, how the Guardians escaped their cubes dangling over a pit of death they showed in the lobby and how they got rid of the monsters. She said it was like channel surfing , no real connection between images.

It was explained, again in the Rocket portion with even video showing Rockets diagram:

Also there are 6 ride profiles with different scenes. One of the scenes show the Guardians actually jumping out of their "cubes" to the platform where the gantry lift is I believe. So if she rides it again she will see more of the scenes.

Professortango1

It was explained, again in the Rocket portion with even video showing Rockets diagram:

Also there are 6 ride profiles with different scenes. One of the scenes show the Guardians actually jumping out of their "cubes" to the platform where the gantry lift is I believe. So if she rides it again she will see more of the scenes.

Yeah, nowhere in that video does it say how he will shut down the power or how they will make it from their cubes across the wide chasm they established in the queue.

And you shouldn't have to hope for different ride profiles to have the attraction make sense. That's just bad writing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, nowhere in that video does it say how he will shut down the power or how they will make it from their cubes across the wide chasm they established in the queue.

And you shouldn't have to hope for different ride profiles to have the attraction make sense. That's just bad writing.

He specifically says "..take us all the way to big old generator control room. I'm gonna blast that thing and destroy all the control systems. Which will open up all the cages in this freak show and free my friends."

He tells you exactly how he is going to shut down the power, ie. blast the generator control room which will destroy all the control systems including the ones controlling the cages holding the Guardians. This video doesn't show it well, but he even includes drawings showing everything.

I get you are trying to find things to pick apart, but this is a weak argument.

Professortango1

He specifically says "..take us all the way to big old generator control room. I'm gonna blast that thing and destroy all the control systems. Which will open up all the cages in this freak show and free my friends.

He tells you exactly how he is going to shut down the power, ie. blast the generator control room which will destroy all the control systems including the ones controlling the cages holding the Guardians. This video doesn't show it well, but he even includes drawings showing everything.

But he doesn't blast it. We see it, it shuts down and then sparks. There's no laser blast or impact or anything. The scene is also over so quickly that you don't have a chance to see the story unfold.

And I'm just giving the feedback of a parkgoer, someone not invested enough to be on Disney boards and know the ride inside and out before boarding. She thought the queue was cool, but the ride was just channel surfing past random scenes with no sense of story or structure.

Having ridden today, her arguments are sound. The ride seems to rush through the story and we're completely inconsequential to their story after we sneak Rocket into the shaft. It was fun, but definately felt like a layover rather than full attraction.

EPICOT

He specifically says "..take us all the way to big old generator control room. I'm gonna blast that thing and destroy all the control systems. Which will open up all the cages in this freak show and free my friends."

The fact that you think the average theme park guest should HAVE to listen to a lecture from a raccoon in order to understand the point of a ride is pretty ridiculous. A ride should not require in-depth research.

BrianLo

The fact that you think the average theme park guest should HAVE to listen to a lecture from a raccoon in order to understand the point of a ride is pretty ridiculous. A ride should not require in-depth research.

I agree, it's ridiculous that someone would be expected to listen to the ride to understand the ride. Stupid racoon draws diagrams and everything. It's ridiculous they expect the average guest to use their ears or their eyes. Some guests just wanna nap then bounce around for a few minutes. Why doesn't that dumb racoon just stay still and pose for a snap?

@TP2000 seems to have managed just fine without knowledge of the movies or characters. But that old codger probably just doesn't have a phone and pays attention or something.

BrianLo

The story of the tower being inside the park is just awful. The whole point is we are NOT In a theme park. We should be in a Hollywood or heck Marvel Studios or whatever. So that's awful.

This is the one franchise that's self referential and fourth wall enough that I don't mind and find that hilarious. Its entire point is to be irreverent and full of nostalgic 80's easter eggs. Hence Figment.

I agree it's not a typically good direction for themed design, but it's a ride with a talking space racoon. Iron Man Experience also seems to heavily have gone the same route with reference to the attraction actually starting HK DL. So perhaps that's the direction Marvel is taking, "real" characters occupying a theme park.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But he doesn't blast it. We see it, it shuts down and then sparks. There's no laser blast or impact or anything. The scene is also over so quickly that you don't have a chance to see the story unfold.

And I'm just giving the feedback of a parkgoer, someone not invested enough to be on Disney boards and know the ride inside and out before boarding. She thought the queue was cool, but the ride was just channel surfing past random scenes with no sense of story or structure.

Having ridden today, her arguments are sound. The ride seems to rush through the story and we're completely inconsequential to their story after we sneak Rocket into the shaft. It was fun, but definately felt like a layover rather than full attraction.

What you're assuming is that what we are looking at is the generator itself and not the control systems controlling the cages. It looks like the control system to me. Also Rocket is above us so anything he does is likely out of view. Hence the laser lighting effect in the middle of our view. This insinuates a laser blast from above which overloads and destroys the control systems.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree, it's ridiculous that someone would be expected to listen to the ride to understand the ride. Stupid racoon draws diagrams and everything. It's ridiculous they expect the average guest to use their ears or their eyes. Some guests just wanna nap then bounce around for a few minutes. Why doesn't that dumb racoon just stay still and pose for a snap?

@TP2000 seems to have managed just fine without knowledge of the movies or characters. But that old codger probably just doesn't have a phone and pays attention or something.

I know right, its kind of silly to think that a guest should actually pay attention to the build up of the story to understand the story. Like coming into a movie when it's half over and expecting to understand the plot.

Also what people forget is it's built to be a repeat attraction. Where every time you see something new and understand more. It's not a one and done type of thing.

Last edited:

TP2000

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, actually. But I don't use it much in public. When I rode Guardians via Standby on Saturday, I chatted with the nice family from Seattle behind me (I lived there in the 70's) and the newly retired couple from New Zealand ahead of me (they retired to a house on a sheep farm!).

I haven't seen the Guardians movies, but the pre-show sets up the plot perfectly. In fact, the audio and visuals are so well done, it has to be one of the easiest to follow yet most entertaining pre-shows Disney has done in a long time. It helps make the ride as excellent as it is.

zooey

This is the one franchise that's self referential and fourth wall enough that I don't mind and find that hilarious. Its entire point is to be irreverent and full of nostalgic 80's easter eggs. Hence Figment.

I agree it's not a typically good direction for themed design, but it's a ride with a talking space racoon. Iron Man Experience also seems to heavily have gone the same route with reference to the attraction actually starting HK DL. So perhaps that's the direction Marvel is taking, "real" characters occupying a theme park.
I've read or heard that is the direction imagineering and Marvel agreed upon... the Marvel characters exist in the same universe as you and I AND Disneyland /Parks. So, it's not that we have come to their world, it's that they have come to us. I think this means that all attractions will be self conscious about location and references to the park that the attraction / land is in.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If one despise self-referentialisms, then one should despise the versions of Soarin' with it's final scene of a Disney park.

And better hope that Disney doesn't get the rights back for Deadpool whose schtick is breaking the 4th wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom