Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Curious Constance

It's interesting isn't it? Part of being an executive at any organization is speaking in front of groups of people, even if you aren't particularly good at it. I have no opinion of Chapek's abilities in his role as head of Disney Parks, and he's probably likeable in person, but he's obviously not a charismatic individual. Iger, on the other hand, is pretty good at it, but nobody can top Eisner IMO. That guy seemed to truly love being the CEO of Disney whenever he was in front of an audience.
Even Iger seems pretty stiff and a bit awkward at events. But it's hard to say for certain because I'm always too distracted by his unnaturally good looks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's interesting isn't it? Part of being an executive at any organization is speaking in front of groups of people, even if you aren't particularly good at it. I have no opinion of Chapek's abilities in his role as head of Disney Parks, and he's probably likeable in person, but he's obviously not a charismatic individual. Iger, on the other hand, is pretty good at it, but nobody can top Eisner IMO. That guy seemed to truly love being the CEO of Disney whenever he was in front of an audience.

You can take classes in public speaking. And there are management consulting firms that can come in and train how give an awesome presentation. Although some people are born for the spot light others are not.

I'm sure that @Curious Constance can convince Iger to help his buddy out and give him some personal training. ;)

The_Bellringer

I agree. Eisner loved speaking to people and presenting. Remember when he would introduce the films on Wonderful World of Disney?

Chapek makes me uncomfortable. When he spoke at the ceremony for the 60th he was soooo stiff lifeless when talking. Definitely a buzzkill.

Magenta Panther

Watched a video of the ride.

Now bear in mind that I haven't seen either Guardians films, nor do I intend to. They don't interest me. Very little of Marvel does.

So I'm speaking as a non-fan of the Iger purchase.

Just the same, as a fan of theme park rides in general, that ride MAKES.NO.FRICKEN.SENSE.WHAT.SO.EVER.

The actual heck is going on in that thing? Oh, some characters are trying to break out of prison. As a non-Marvel maven, why should I care?

Whereas the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror's narrative is marked by a cool, eerie sophistication, the Guardians' narrative is marked by being loud, frenetic, garish and dumb.

The raccoon AA is impressive, but so are the AAs in Frozenstrom, so while the tech-level is laudable, it's hardly surprising from Disney at this point. The raccoon AA still makes me think of Teddy Ruxpin though.

Oh boy SCREENS! So convincing. One guy gets chased by oversized drones from Disney Springs, another (a villain? A hero? Who knows if you're not a Marvel fan?) gets barfed up by a lumpy dinosaur, and the elevator bounces around a lot, much more than did the elevators in the Tower, which is a HUGE improvement, no doubt.

The once-elegant lobby has been transformed into a hoarder's wet dream. But wow, it's got Cosmo the Dog (whatever that is), not so much an AA as it is a fuzzy Bobble Head. Fanbois rejoice!

The only truly scary thing is the music. And not a good kind of scary. 80's music is not a nightmare I want to revisit.

When I see that electrician's nightmare looming over Carthay Circle Theater, I want to throw up.

Thus endeth the review. Fire away!

Last edited:

britain

Now bear in mind that I haven't seen either Guardians films, nor do I intend to. They don't interest me. Very little of Marvel does.

Just the same, as a fan of theme park rides in general, that ride MAKES.NO.FRICKEN.SENSE.WHAT.SO.EVER.

The actual heck is going on in that thing? Oh, some characters are trying to break out of prison. As a non-Marvel maven, why should I care?

Whereas the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror's narrative is marked by a cool, eerie sophistication, the Guardians' narrative is marked by being loud, frenetic, garish and dumb.

The raccoon AA is impressive, but so are the AAs in Frozenstrom, so while the tech-level is laudable, it's hardly surprising from Disney at this point. The raccoon AA still makes me think of Teddy Ruxpin though.

Oh boy SCREENS! So convincing. One guy gets chased by oversized drones from Disney Springs, another (a villain? A hero? Who knows if you're not a Marvel fan?) gets barfed up by a lumpy dinosaur, and the elevator bounces around a lot, much more than did the elevators in the Tower, which is a HUGE improvement, no doubt.

The once-elegant lobby has been transformed into a hoarder's wet dream. But wow, it's got Cosmo the Dog (whatever that is), not so much an AA as it is a fuzzy Bobble Head. Fanbois rejoice!

The only truly scary thing is the music. And not a good kind of scary. 80's music is not a nightmare I want to revisit.

When I see that electrician's nightmare looming over Carthay Circle Theater, I want to throw up.

You mean, "Hit me with your best shot, fire away!"

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm sure I'll prefer TOT, but we won't know until I ride at some point during the 5 months of classic Haunted Mansion downtime.

You know, I thought the version of Tower just before they closed it down was the best I'd ever been on. Better than the original at MGM with a lap bar 6 inches above my legs and better than the random drop sequence version. They just turned off the lights and let you hover there for a bit before dropping you. That was awesome.

zooey

The raccoon

I feel like you may be making too many demands on the ride without giving anything up yourself. Why shouldn't you see the films? I feel like that's a reasonable expectation. The music for instance would make much more sense if you saw the film and understood what the Awesome Mix tape is.
But even if you don't see the films, the ride makes perfect sense. You're helping Rocket cut the power to the tower and free the Guardians from the collector's collection. That's it.
This ride is not trying to be elegant in a 30s aesthetic. But that doesn't mean this version of the ride isn't elegant with its attention to detail, of which there is a LOT. Especially for Marvel fans.
You as a Marvel refuser are not this ride's audience and that's okay.

Californian Elitist

So you haven't actually ridden it...

October82

I feel like you may be making too many demands on the ride without giving anything up yourself. Why shouldn't you see the films? I feel like that's a reasonable expectation.

Unless you envision the parks as a vehicle for many separate experience tailored to different demographics, it's not reasonable to expect every guest to be familiar with every franchise. I doubt the average person on vacation to Disney parks prepares for that visit by watching every recent film put out by the studio's many different brands.

The deeper point here, though, is that if the ride isn't intelligible as a standalone experience, that's just bad storytelling and design.

He will use the same argument for when Star Wars land opens. "I've never seen these star wars movies therefore nothing make sense and it doesn't belong here." I would suggest getting out to the movies in the last forty years instead of living under a rock.

There's no reason (yet) to expect that the same kind of criticism applies to Star Wars Land. Like The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the scale of that land and its attractions isn't comparable to a quick "overlay". Simply because "Star Wars" and "Marvel" are brands, doesn't mean that everything said about one brand, or one attraction under that brand, applies to all brands.

zooey

Unless you envision the parks as a vehicle for many separate experience tailored to different demographics, it's not reasonable to expect every guest to be familiar with every franchise. I doubt the average person on vacation to Disney parks prepares for that visit by watching every recent film put out by the studio's many different brands.

The deeper point here, though, is that if the ride isn't intelligible as a standalone experience, that's just bad storytelling and design.

There's no reason (yet) to expect that the same kind of criticism applies to Star Wars Land. Like The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the scale of that land and its attractions isn't comparable to a quick "overlay". Simply because "Star Wars" and "Marvel" are brands, doesn't mean that everything said about one brand, or one attraction under that brand, applies to all brands.
GOTGMB is an overlay but certainly more than an overlay in the pejorative sense... it's solid, I'd say an upgrade. But you have to accept that it's different. You may disagree with the direction of the difference but that doesn't mean the ride is bad or that it didnt raise its standards as an attraction and experience.
I think it's reasonable for people to fully understand a property before calling it out as unintelligible, that's all. I think the story of the ride is easy to understand without any previous knowledge. You're rescuing some heroes from a jail. It's all explained.

Professortango1

GOTGMB is an overlay but certainly more than an overlay in the pejorative sense... it's solid, I'd say an upgrade. But you have to accept that it's different. You may disagree with the direction of the difference but that doesn't mean the ride is bad or that it didnt raise its standards as an attraction and experience.
I think it's reasonable for people to fully understand a property before calling it out as unintelligible, that's all. I think the story of the ride is easy to understand without any previous knowledge. You're rescuing some heroes from a jail. It's all explained.

Do they explain why Groot is small inside the ride but huge outside the ride? Confused my friend yesterday.

She understood the ride was a breakout, but didn't understand why they were captured or how they escaped. She said a thing blew up and monsters attacked and then everyone was okay.

zooey

Do they explain why Groot is small inside the ride but huge outside the ride? Confused my friend yesterday.

She understood the ride was a breakout, but didn't understand why they were captured or how they escaped. She said a thing blew up and monsters attacked and then everyone was okay.
I mean everything im saying is in comparison to other things within the parks that don't make sense but are accepted. Why is a horse and carriage dropping guests off at a medieval castle? Why is there a Swiss mountain in tomorrowland? If I go on Radiator Springs racers and see Lightning and then I get off the ride and then see he's at the cozy cone, how did he beat me there?

They were "collected" and put on display literally AT Disneyland by the Collector because that's what he does, collects and shows off his collection. When you help Rocket cut the power by giving him access with your hand scan ( you're supposed to be touring the collectors collection) you release the Guardians from their cells, but you also release all the other aliens and beasts at the same time, so you're passive at that point watching the GOTG deal with the chaos of everything escaping their cells at the same time. Then Rocket brings the ship in and they leave. Voila.

Why Groot is small then big I don't know. I guess you're supposed to believe that some time has passed between the ride and the meet and greets.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I mean everything im saying is in comparison to other things within the parks that don't make sense but are accepted. Why is a horse and carriage dropping guests off at a medieval castle? Why is there a Swiss mountain in tomorrowland? If I go on Radiator Springs racers and see Lightning and then I get off the ride and then see he's at the cozy cone, how did he beat me there?

The Hub is a place free from time or place.
The icy slopes of a mountain can be seen in Tomorrowland, but I'm sure snowy mountains exist in the future. Lightning is fast and you don't see him until late in the ride.

Groot is seen in two very different forms. My friend thought one was supposed to ve the other one's dad or something. To those unfamiliar, this messy storytelling just adds confusion.

zooey

The Hub is a place free from time or place.
The icy slopes of a mountain can be seen in Tomorrowland, but I'm sure snowy mountains exist in the future. Lightning is fast and you don't see him until late in the ride.

Groot is seen in two very different forms. My friend thought one was supposed to ve the other one's dad or something. To those unfamiliar, this messy storytelling just adds confusion.
Yeah I get that. But there will always be confusion for people looking for confusion. Even if someone doesn't fully understand Groots lineage or lack their of I don't think it matters. Meet and greets are free from time and space.

FigmentForver96

I'll go ahead and be the first to admit I actually like the ride itself over the original. I love Tower of Terror. I have had the great blessing to ride all of them around the world and have seen with my own eyes the style of each. The original was and still is the best in the world and especially amongst the twilight zone theme.

Disneyland and Disneyland Paris had the cheaper versions used as band-aid solutions to failing parks. (Although one could argue about Paris since they planned it from the start). The outside of the tower in California was pretty ugly, especially compared to the original. The aging looked forced and the color was off, especially that off purple color. The ride itself, well the story and build up was what made the ride still a quality ride. The sense of dread and anticipation of the known outcome. Sadly, the special effects of the ride were never as good as the one in Orlando.

They announced the remodel and I was pretty sore about it. More then anything I was worried they would convert the Orlando tower, which is looking less likely thankfully. Also, I was worried the ride would have nothing to do with Hollywood or the California theme of the park.

On the downside, the outside it still ugly and a huge eyesore from certain areas of the resort. There will be no fixing that and they could have done better I believe. The story of the tower being inside the park is just awful. The whole point is we are NOT In a theme park. We should be in a Hollywood or heck Marvel Studios or whatever. So that's awful.

The ride itself seems very fun. The high pace is just different from the original and works with the theme. You spend more time laughing your butt off and enjoying the chaotic breakout. In the end, I give it a solid pass and hope they will take the time to build a quality land around it.

October82

I don't think the "ride is bad". I think it is a poorly executed, and hence, I disagree with the direction. I don't think it is poor because I disagree, or disagree with the concept of change in general.

I think it's reasonable for people to fully understand a property before calling it out as unintelligible, that's all.

This is one of the fundamental problems with IP only based attractions. No, it isn't reasonable to expect guests to understand the source material for every attraction. Theme park attractions are stand alone experiences. This is hard problem to solve, and it's why many IP attractions suffer over the long term - even those based on popular franchises.

I think the story of the ride is easy to understand without any previous knowledge. You're rescuing some heroes from a jail. It's all explained.

Someone who isn't familiar with the source material argued that the story isn't clearly explained. I don't know if that's true or not, but I would expect that if you know the story in advance, for instance, by knowing about the Guardians franchise from the films, you're more likely to understand explicitly what is going on in the attraction and not find that an obvious flaw. People who aren't as familiar may not find the story telling up to par.

If that's the case, that is simply bad design. I'm not sure how you can get around that.

zooey

I don't think the "ride is bad". I think it is a poorly executed, and hence, I disagree with the direction. I don't think it is poor because I disagree, or disagree with the concept of change in general.

This is one of the fundamental problems with IP only based attractions. No, it isn't reasonable to expect guests to understand the source material for every attraction. Theme park attractions are stand alone experiences. This is hard problem to solve, and it's why many IP attractions suffer over the long term - even those based on popular franchises.

Someone who isn't familiar with the source material argued that the story isn't clearly explained. I don't know if that's true or not, but I would expect that if you know the story in advance, for instance, by knowing about the Guardians franchise from the films, you're more likely to understand explicitly what is going on in the attraction and not find that an obvious flaw. People who aren't as familiar may not find the story telling up to par.

If that's the case, that is simply bad design. I'm not sure how you can get around that.
I know what you mean because on Indy I always felt bad for the folks who never saw those movies you're trying to tour this temple and all of a sudden this weirdo is holding a magic door for you and yelling at you and then you see him again at the end talking about snakes. Doesn't make any sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom