Grand floridian walk way

drwadadli

Except, as someone previously posted, the canal leading into the Lagoon is wider than the water way for the globe for Illuminations.

The monorail passes over the canal, so that would also have to be considered in the construction of a bridge.

Guests, though, should suggest a bridge when responding to a survey.
True the canal is wider but no the monorail would not be a problem. The bridge can be build close to ground level and can be a split draw bridge so that not the entire length of the bridge rises but only half. Also, the bridge can get build so that it is not directly under the monorail. They have enough engineers to figure it out and as someone that used to be involved in construction, it is very possible.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
True the canal is wider but no the monorail would not be a problem. The bridge can be build close to ground level and can be a split draw bridge so that not the entire length of the bridge rises but only half. Also, the bridge can get build so that it is not directly under the monorail. They have enough engineers to figure it out and as someone that used to be involved in construction, it is very possible.

The bridge at WS, if I recollect, is also a split bridge.

Just wish they would investigate. It's not like construction will impede access to a resort or park....that dirt path is pretty much out of the way for guests. Just would be nice to run or walk a complete path from Poly to the MK.

MaryJaneP

Seems to be a recycled subject that has gotten nowhere. Yes, it would be possible to build it. Was there ever any thought? Seems like selling bricks to a "Walk Around The World" would likely mean walking completely around the Seven Seas Lagoon (i.e. MK to CR to Poly to GF back to MK) for walkers and even bikers was under consideration. However, two (2) significant problems arose in that they would have to have a drawbridge over the canal (very costly). Also, there is no feasible way to have traffic and pedestrians/bikers under the bridge leading into CR (unbelievably expensive). If a walkway were to be completed from GF to MK, would there be pressure to solve the CR access issue? That could be the real impediment.

LAKid53

Premium Member
GF guests should be clamoring for it. They're the ones that would most directly benefit, and for what they pay for a room should get anyone's attention at WDW.

I'm an owner at the GF Villas - those should be guests Disney pays attention to also.

Polydweller

For those who feel there's no return on investment, can it be considered albeit a stretch that the secondary return is less wear and tear on other forms of transport like boats, the ferry, buses, and monorail? It's a way for people to get around when factors interrupt transportation services. Maybe they could actually consider rehabing the monorail system after all.

Also not for nothing, but Disney ain't broke. I get that they don't want to spend more than they have to, who does? Especially when the exact structure built doesn't birth any opportunities for profit. But they're willing to spend on other projects that I'm sure could be argued are more frivolous than a walkway or bridge. Build this, raise the cost of XY&Z, more specialty ticketed events, raise ticket prices by a few bucks, hike the cost of bottles drinks by a dime. Not that this is ideal clearly, but they could do that. Isn't that how the recoup what they've spent on everything else they create or roll out?
And none of that is actually ROI. The wear and tear will happen on the other form of transport any ways just by being run. Any savings would be trivial at best.

The ROI would be increased occupancy at GF and the Poly due to the bridge. But given how full they are anyways any increase would be minimal and hard to show as being due to the bridge. To justify anything you have to show the need, how its cost would be recovered and over what period of time. And that just isn't there with such a costly bridge.

Polydweller

GF guests should be clamoring for it. They're the ones that would most directly benefit, and for what they pay for a room should get anyone's attention at WDW.
Yep, but since they would be coming anyway where is the cost justification. It would only be justified if occupancy rates were significantly increased or current owners or guests decided to not go to GF due to not having a bridge. Neither are likely to happen.

Polydweller

It can be done easily. There are many types of bridges that can be built that will allow the floats through.
If it was just the floats you may be right but it's not. They also do things like bring the steamboat out for repairs at the boat maintenance area north of the Contemporary. That alone rules out bridges like swing bridges which would leave unsufficient width. Only things like lift bridges work.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well here's another argument for it:

There are three modes of transportation between TTC and MK: Monorail, Ferry, Bus. Let's say that one of those modes is down for refurb, leaving only two. And then, an event shuts down one of the two remaining (e.g., ferry crashes into dock, tram crashes into tram). Then you only have one way to transverse the lake with a huge crowd at closing. It would be comforting to know they could send those who could walk to the foot path as another way to TTC.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Outside of my realm of knowledge.

Seen this question raised so many times over the years. It certainly a logical question every time I've seen it.

For whatever the reason in design, over the decades it is an engineering missteps that this was overlooked. In the Grand Planning for such a major, elaborate resort Disney has yet to be able to address or be able to resolve the transportation or if you will travel to the Magic Kingdom that the Contemporary Resort was designed to afford.

The GF unfortunately was designed to rely on monorail that has failed to support a resort as elaborate as the GF is. Walking would be considered a secondary transportation option. This too has failed to come about. Two options unworthy and unfulfilled properly. We can tap dance around it but as amazing as the GF is, it should be serviced with transportation substantially better. Sure we all lack the inner knowledge but we all clearly see how inadequate the monorail is for the Magic Kingdom from the GF given how often it is offline or disrupted. It is difficult to make a defense as to why transportation is up to expectations worthy of the GF. Its simply a major fail for Disney. Nothing more.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well here's another argument for it:

There are three modes of transportation between TTC and MK: Monorail, Ferry, Bus. Let's say that one of those modes is down for refurb, leaving only two. And then, an event shuts down one of the two remaining (e.g., ferry crashes into dock, tram crashes into tram). Then you only have one way to transverse the lake with a huge crowd at closing. It would be comforting to know they could send those who could walk to the foot path as another way to TTC.

I've been at the MK at closing when one of the transportation options was down - first time I saw buses going to the TTC at the bus depot - many buses and long lines waiting for them. We had been at the Contemporary for dinner and wanted to walk over to the boat dock to take the boat back to WL. Security stopped us just before we got to the ferry dock, told us we could go no further and to go back and take a bus to our resort. I've never seen a crush of people like that at MK's entrance - it would have been impossible for us to walk across the Plaza area to get to a walkway over to the GF - the crowd was that packed. I kept thinking there'd been some type of evacuation, but I never saw any news report to that effect. And I've not seen such a mass of people at the entrance since then. A walkway wouldn't have helped in this instance, since you couldn't get to it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Seems to be a recycled subject that has gotten nowhere. Yes, it would be possible to build it. Was there ever any thought? Seems like selling bricks to a "Walk Around The World" would likely mean walking completely around the Seven Seas Lagoon (i.e. MK to CR to Poly to GF back to MK) for walkers and even bikers was under consideration. However, two (2) significant problems arose in that they would have to have a drawbridge over the canal (very costly). Also, there is no feasible way to have traffic and pedestrians/bikers under the bridge leading into CR (unbelievably expensive). If a walkway were to be completed from GF to MK, would there be pressure to solve the CR access issue? That could be the real impediment.

There's no sidewalk along the road leading to the Contemporary? I can't remember (usually not paying attention, other than we're almost at MK). Yeah, it would be expensive if there's not currently an existing side walk to add something under the water bridge. But I'd think it would be shorter to walk over to the MK and then take a walkway from there to the GF, as opposed to getting back to Contemporary Way ( or is it still World Drive?) and walking that way to the GF or Poly. I wasn't considering a complete walking loop around the Lagoon...just connecting to the existing sidewalk at MK that ends near the canal with the same from the GF. It would be nice if you could walk from a resort near a park to that park. Right now, that only exists for CR and Epcot resorts.

You can walk to Universal from all of their resorts. Granted, you have to cross a busy roadway from Cabana Bay, but it's doable. Wish Disney would allow the same for some of their resorts.

Aileen Marotta

Is it possible for Disney to put in a bridge that allows boats to pass through and guest to walk from the Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom? It would be nice to have the option to Walk, take the boat or ride the monorail.
It would be incredibly helpful to the overcrowd monorail situation. I am a BLT resident and I rately take the monorail anymore. I admit sometimes is dawnting, but if you are in no hurry its nice. Although the GF is much further away from MK. Our walks from BLT to MK are between 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the pace.

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
It would be incredibly helpful to the overcrowd monorail situation. I am a BLT resident and I rately take the monorail anymore. I admit sometimes is dawnting, but if you are in no hurry its nice. Although the GF is much further away from MK. Our walks from BLT to MK are between 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the pace.
We have never stayed at any of the EPCOT resort but have walked from DHS to EPCOT and EPCOT to DHS. It was great to just take off and walk without having to wait for some sort of transportation. That's why it asked this question. I don't mind walking at all and its peaceful. When Star Wars land is open, I'll stay at those resorts just to be able to walk over.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We have never stayed at any of the EPCOT resort but have walked from DHS to EPCOT and EPCOT to DHS. It was great to just take off and walk without having to wait for some sort of transportation. That's why it asked this question. I don't mind walking at all and its peaceful. When Star Wars land is open, I'll stay at those resorts just to be able to walk over.

I heard you can walk from Epcot to DHS. You go out the International Gateway in WS, walk around the Boardwalk and then take the sidewalk along the canal the ends up at the boat ramp, correct? I'll have to try it sometime, especially if I've just eaten at Via Napoli.

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
I heard you can walk from Epcot to DHS. You go out the International Gateway in WS, walk around the Boardwalk and then take the sidewalk along the canal the ends up at the boat ramp, correct? I'll have to try it sometime, especially if I've just eaten at Via Napoli.
Yes, it's a very nice walk. We made from DHS to EPCOT International Gateway in 15 minutes. You can usually beat the boats.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

No, you go through BoardWalk Inn. :)

Red is the shortcut behind the BoardWalk Insane Clown Pool and yellow is walking all the way around. Cyan is the ferry route.
Epcot%20HS%20path_zpsk4v08q6n.png

surfsupdon

Yes, heading to or from the Studios from BoardWalk or Epcot. Always cut through by the rollercoaster pool. Saves lots of time

I too wish WDW as a whole were more pedestrian/runner friendly. Between Resorts, and from Resorts to Parks.

Poly--GF--MK
Pop--CBR--BoardWalk loop (and therefore Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk/minigolf/Epcot/HS)
POR--POFQ--OKW--SS--Disney Springs

LAKid53

Premium Member
No, you go through BoardWalk Inn. :)

Red is the shortcut behind the BoardWalk Insane Clown Pool and yellow is walking all the way around. Cyan is the ferry route.
Epcot%20HS%20path_zpsk4v08q6n.png

Wow, thanks for the map! I'd be wandering around the Boardwalk for hours looking for that secret path....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom