Grand floridian walk way

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
Is it possible for Disney to put in a bridge that allows boats to pass through and guest to walk from the Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom? It would be nice to have the option to Walk, take the boat or ride the monorail.

MarkTwain

I'm still surprised they didn't build it with the GF's DVC expansion and try to bundle it into those expenses, they way they've occasionally done with other resorts' projects. It would have been easy to do, and would have reduced the strain (and probably maintenance costs) on the boat and monorail systems. They could have even restarted the personalized brick sales and had guests pay for most of it.

The one real challenge is the canal that connects Seven Seas Lagoon to the backstage for MK's Rivers of America, and where they keep the Water Parade floats. They would have to build some sort of drawbridge to let the floats and other boats through. Still, should have been easily doable.

A real shame because I'd have loved to use a walkway like that.

HauntedMansionFLA

Original Poster
Yes it is possible. It was actually planned and then later axed. That is why there is a sidewalk to nowhere.
I saw the walk way when riding the monorail. I was curious and thought I would ask. Thanks. Hopefully it would be something that might be looked at again in the future. Any help @danlb_2000 ?

DisneyPrincess5

It is so unfortunate that this never came to fruition. It would alleviate some transportation crowding, let people get out easier after nighttime festivities or just period, and it's just so nice and peaceful to walk from your resort to a park like with BLT/Contemp and the Boardwalk resorts. Especially nice I'd imagine if you have a sleeping little one in a stroller and you can just stroll instead of fussing with the monorail. Maybe one day.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
With the current management mindset, there is no way Disney will spend big bucks to build a bridge and connect the walkway...there's no return on investment for the company.

Now if the monorail permanently ceases to be used as transportation, then a walkway may be built.

Minnie Mum

With the current management mindset, there is no way Disney will spend big bucks to build a bridge and connect the walkway...there's no return on investment for the company.

Now if the monorail permanently ceases to be used as transportation, then a walkway may be built.
Bingo. Could they do it? Well, obviously. Bridge building, even draw bridges, isn't exactly rocket science. But it's expensive. And so is maintenance (especially for the draw bridge mechanicals). And then there is installation of the sidewalks and their maintenance. And adequate lighting. And then there's the problem of critter control in this area surrounded by water or wetlands. For a relatively few guests (primarily only a percentage of GF guests and a very small percentage of Poly guests) .

Many millions of dollars. Their first and last question is "What's in it for them ?". The answer is: nothing. Result? Self evident.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Is it possible for Disney to put in a bridge that allows boats to pass through and guest to walk from the Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom? It would be nice to have the option to Walk, take the boat or ride the monorail.

They'd have to build a bridge that can be raised, similar to the one at World Showcase, to allow the floats for the water parade to pass through the canal into the Lagoon.

Polydweller

They'd have to build a bridge that can be raised, similar to the one at World Showcase, to allow the floats for the water parade to pass through the canal into the Lagoon.
And that would be one massive bridge, much bigger than Epcot's. The span at the MK canal is about 100ft. Very expensive and with little ROI.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And they'd have to build another, smaller bridge near the GF to go over a drainage canal. The pathway on the GF side is a dirt path for a vehicle and goes into a nearby road, not to any GF footpath.

Then there's the question if WDW would want a footpath to go from TTC to MK gate. And for it to go through their two highest-end resort.

22YrsDVC

And they'd have to build another, smaller bridge near the GF to go over a drainage canal. The pathway on the GF side is a dirt path for a vehicle and goes into a nearby road, not to any GF footpath.

Then there's the question if WDW would want a footpath to go from TTC to MK gate. And for it to go through their two highest-end resort.
Of course Disney would never dream of allowing the riff-raff to wander through their most expensive resorts!!! What would they do next, let anyone drive into Golden Oak???

DisneyPrincess5

For those who feel there's no return on investment, can it be considered albeit a stretch that the secondary return is less wear and tear on other forms of transport like boats, the ferry, buses, and monorail? It's a way for people to get around when factors interrupt transportation services. Maybe they could actually consider rehabing the monorail system after all.

Also not for nothing, but Disney ain't broke. I get that they don't want to spend more than they have to, who does? Especially when the exact structure built doesn't birth any opportunities for profit. But they're willing to spend on other projects that I'm sure could be argued are more frivolous than a walkway or bridge. Build this, raise the cost of XY&Z, more specialty ticketed events, raise ticket prices by a few bucks, hike the cost of bottles drinks by a dime. Not that this is ideal clearly, but they could do that. Isn't that how the recoup what they've spent on everything else they create or roll out?

LAKid53

Premium Member

I ran along that dirt path/road until it ended at the canal.

There is the sidewalk that allows you to walk from Poly to GF.

Frankly, I wish Disney would make the property more pedestrian friendly. I don't mind walking...and would love to be able to walk that pathway that runs from the boat ramps at MK over to either GF or Poly. While my dogs would be tired after a day in the park, walking over in the morning would be nice. I also wouldn't mind being able to walk from POR or POFQ to Disney Springs.

GrammieBee

Universal has walking paths,in addition to boat service to all of their current resorts. The path to Portofino Bay and the Hard Rock Resorts is a horticulture delight and always has someone using it. There is no reason Disney could not finish the path to the Grand Floridian if they wanted. There are other types of bridges such as swivel or extendable.which could be a possibility to be used the few times necessary for boats to enter or exit the canal.. Our family definitely would have used the pathway and my husband and I still would use one if it was available. Some would probably be surprised at how many people would like to avoid the crowds and hassle of the boats or monorail or just like to walk, especially somewhere relatively quiet and peaceful..

drwadadli

Sure it is Disney and anything is possible. Likelihood it will happen, 5%. They thought about it on multiple occasions...when the park was originally diagramed by Walt Disney with an Asian Resort where the now GF Resort is and again after GF was build as an option for guest to walk around (as previously mentioned --- why the sidewalks are there and leading to nowhere). Will it ever happen?? Possibly if more guests start walking more and asking for it. A few hundred guests asking might lift an eyebrow but a few thousand guests ask might raise enough curiosity for them to start thinking about it again. There is not bridge build because that is where the floats for the Water Parade are stored but yet they have a bridge in Epcot where the "Earth" is stored got Illuminations.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sure it is Disney and anything is possible. Likelihood it will happen, 5%. They thought about it on multiple occasions...when the park was originally diagramed by Walt Disney with an Asian Resort where the now GF Resort is and again after GF was build as an option for guest to walk around (as previously mentioned --- why the sidewalks are there and leading to nowhere). Will it ever happen?? Possibly if more guests start walking more and asking for it. A few hundred guests asking might lift an eyebrow but a few thousand guests ask might raise enough curiosity for them to start thinking about it again. There is not bridge build because that is where the floats for the Water Parade are stored but yet they have a bridge in Epcot where the "Earth" is stored got Illuminations.

Except, as someone previously posted, the canal leading into the Lagoon is wider than the water way for the globe for Illuminations.

The monorail passes over the canal, so that would also have to be considered in the construction of a bridge.

Guests, though, should suggest a bridge when responding to a survey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom