General Pandora and Valley of Mo'ara reviews, comments and questions

RSoxNo1

Between DL and WDW, there are three alien alphabets in use. (And Na'vi isn't one of them, since they don't have a written language.)

Points to identifying the three (they're all one for one substitutes for English letters).
Stitch's Great Escape, and I'm out.

Virtual Toad

Just got back from a week at WDW with the family and I have to admit Pandora exceeded all our expectations. I've never seen the film and have only a rudimentary knowledge of its storyline, but this did not in any way hinder our enjoyment.

A few thoughts:

I was very skeptical about including an entire IP-based land in AK, but Joe Rohde and WDI did an an incredible job of immersive theming and storytelling here. Pandora is totally in line with AK's theme of conservation and is a good fit and welcome addition to the park.

I was struck by many of the deliberate design choices that frankly surprised me and in a very good way. The minimal signage for the attractions and unobtrusive placement of the eatery and gift shop in the back of the land added to the immersion and placemaking. You really do feel as if you are on an alien planet and not in a theme park. Having to "hunt" for the attractions was part of the fun, especially at night.

Nighttime in Pandora (which is how we first experienced it) was amazing. Some have criticized it for not being as "bright" as what was portrayed in the film. Having never seen the film I can't comment on whether or not it met expectations but it certainly surpassed what I was expecting.

FOP was absolutely breathtaking. I'm not a big fan of thrill rides but the visuals and movement were so well done that the suspension of disbelief was complete. It kept me laughing with joy and smiling throughout. A seamless and as some have said profound experience. It left me literally looking at trees and nature in an entirely different way.

The Na'vi River Journey, IMHO, doesn't deserve some of the criticism it's received. I was awestruck by all the wicker work (crocheting?) in the queue-- someone had to do all that by hand and the level of detail is unsurpassed. We experienced it once with FP+ and once with a 50 minute wait but it was worth it both times.

I was struck by the detail on the ride vehicles as well-- they could have just replicated the cheap and easy design of the current Pirates or Small World boats but went for immersion instead. The boats also only have two rows each which guaranteed an intimate experience, as opposed to Pirates or IASW where you might get stuck looking over the heads of five rows of people in front of you.

Not sure if it was deliberate, but keeping the number of passengers in each boat limited to two rows also seemed to shorten the dispatch interval. As such, the standby line never really stopped moving. Whatever they did here to keep the lines manageable seemed to work very well and I'm guessing a ton of thought and research went into this.

As for the ride itself, again, I think the critics are selling it short. It doesn't tell a literal storyline like so many recent WDI attractions, but that is totally part of its charm. Time will tell if the lighting and effects remain as pristine as they are now, but it took our breath away. Immersion on every level that makes it easily a D-ticket if not an absolute E. No, it's not thrilling and there are no video screens or narration, but it harkens back to WDI's classic era in a way I can't really describe. It's on our family's must-see list and exactly the kind of slow-moving dark ride that AK has needed since its opening in 1998.

Final thoughts-- Pandora left us with a newfound appreciation of what WDI can do given the proper budget and creative canvas.

It also left us feeling a bit disappointed that WDW has chosen too many times in the last 15 years to go the cheap and easy route instead.

Pandora shows how an IP *can* be properly integrated into an existing park. We visited Epcot, previously our favorite park, on the last day of our vacation, and were immediately struck by how poorly-shoehorned each and every IP in that park really is. Frozenstorm is nothing short of a criminal act, and the Seas with Nemo and Friends looks downright shabby compared to the beauty and picture-perfect execution of Pandora.

WDW has created a problem in that it has finally shown us it really *does* know how to do something right. I sensed some despair and apathy among some of the Epcot cast on our last day (and markedly fewer guests!) and I think there's a feeling that park in particular has completely lost its way. Now that WDW has shown what it *can* do, it's going to take billions of dollars and a lot more than Guardians and/or Ratatouille to fix the problem. IP's haven't worked out at all for Epcot-- and at this point, nothing short of a total paradigm shift is going to save it.

Last edited:

Prototype82

One thing that struck me in a park about ecology was how in the story they encourage visitors to adopt a banshee and take it back to Earth. They are encouraging you to take an indigenous and possible invasive species out of its natural habitat and introduce it to a new one. Now I know the banshees aren't real - but if they were this is just bad ecology. Still, they are only available on Pandora and they can be sold for a profit. Is it possible they could be trapped and sold to extinction? Are they the new unobtainium?
They will actually tell you it's not a real banshee and an educational piece. I read that somewhere. But you can imagine they don't tell the kids that.

mj2v

One thing that struck me in a park about ecology was how in the story they encourage visitors to adopt a banshee and take it back to Earth. They are encouraging you to take an indigenous and possible invasive species out of its natural habitat and introduce it to a new one. Now I know the banshees aren't real - but if they were this is just bad ecology. Still, they are only available on Pandora and they can be sold for a profit. Is it possible they could be trapped and sold to extinction? Are they the new unobtainium?
If they had a cheetah or lion adoption, I could see the concern. Since they don't, I don't forsee PETA protests over the banshee adoptions.

mj2v

Living in Orlando for 20+ years, I have rarely been overly impressed with theme park additions. Pandora, however, is so well done.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park. Always has been. I love what they have added to it. We visited for the first time I. Previews before the park opened. We have been to every new land opening. I really enjoy Rivers of Light, the tree lighting, and sometimes the nighttime safari (it's hit and miss, those animals must have a great union!). We can even ride the disco yeti and still enjoy it immensely.

I think having Joe Rhode still involved is critical. I can't think of a park that still has the original lead person still involved nearly 20 years later (other than Disneyland until 1966).

DDLand

Hey @BrianLo and @Rteetz!

For the last several years, we have watched as floating mountains took shape. We have witnessed the testing of blue lights and captivating projections. Disney's Animal Kingdom guests have eagerly awaited the arrival of Pandora- The World of Avatar.

The initial reaction to its announcement was awful. Disney handled the roll out of an Avatar land in a remarkably ineffective way. They gave no information and no concept art. All the public knew of this land was it was to be built in Disney's Animal Kingdom, and it would be Avatar.

That was it.

Even the timeline was vague, and ultimately off.

This information vacuum created the perfect environment for two camps to emerge in opposition to the lands.

1) Who cares about the story?
2) This does not belong in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

With time, as new information came to light, most people's complaints dissipated. Really I would identity D23 2015 as the moment everything changed. People started getting excited for the newly named Pandora. Most people -it became clear- viewed Disney's Animal Kingdom as primarily a place where rainforests exist.

The opposition to the land became smaller and smaller and the enthusiasm greater and greater. Now Pandora is here.

Up until this point, I had remained against this land for philosophical reasons. My logic was simple. Disney's Animal Kingdom is about the intersection of humanity and nature. Pandora is off planet and disconnected from Earth. The lands at Disney's Animal Kingdom are all about hyper realism; when lands or attractions are fictional they are rooted in ancient traditions and real animals. Those stories have always been set in our world. Pandora is not part of our ancient human experience and is the brainchild of a random modern person.

I have gone further in depth on these points in the past, but that should be adequate enough for this review.

In spite of my own displeasure, I made the decision several months ago to view it in a vacuum and ignore these issues. I decided to view it singularly as a piece of art.

With that mindset, I approached Pandora. First I will state the obvious, it is a remarkable land. The rockwork is stunning. I have seen every great Disney rockwork edifice, and Pandora stands as a unique and landmark creation. Joe Rohde has described it as something cathedral like. Walking under the the floating mountains and just standing under them. They look good from every angle.

Every detail has methodically been touched. The artistry on everything from the moss to the plants are lavish. I think you could make an argument that some of the plants are works of art, but just imagine thousands of them. The sheer scale and scope of the project is really the amazing thing. The exhaustive amount of focus and care that had to be taken to create this land is nearly unmatched in Disney Parks. If not the most detailed natural land, it has to come super super close. While lands like Harambe and my beloved American Waterfront meet it, they're architecturally based and a whole other ball game. In terms of non architectural (or natural) projects, I would argue that Disney has just dropped the benchmark by which all other rockwork will be judged. It is on the level of Mysterious Island. It probably beats it too.

The land includes armies of alien plants; they are another example of the care taken. Everywhere you look you see these beautiful creations. Some super odd, some more familiar, but all incredibly detailed. One of my favorite areas was an interactive element which you can trigger by waving your arms. The candy corn plants spoke to me too. Cameron's LSD land is here.

Every detail is beautiful. At night, the lighting brings a whole other type of experience to life. It's pretty cool.

I don't know if there is another theme park brand that can match this creation. Disney and the Disney's Animal Kingdom design team are singularly the best at this in the industry.

Now onto the usability and livability. As I said before, I think as an art piece the land is impressive. How comfortable is it? What's it like to experience.

First things first, I want to point out something. Disney's Animal Kingdom has always been a rather intimate park. In spite of the truly massive size, the guest spaces are not imposing. The nature trails are well spaced out and framed. Everest, formerly the most monumental creation at Disney's Animal Kingdom, kept things tight and constrained as you journeyed towards it with plants and buildings providing reference that the actual Mountain is miles and miles away.

Pandora is radically different. It is massive. It is right in front of you. You walk under it. You journey around it. This is nature's cathedral. Furthermore, the land is truly epic in scope. The walkways are almost entirely exposed and visible from most places in the land.

The land is designed to blow your mind. All of nature's power and majesty towering above you. This is a design approach that I am not in love with in the context of the park. The land lacks a warmth and comfort that is found in the rest of the park.

I feel Disney's Animal Kingdom's most magical moments are when you're on a small path trekking into the wilderness. Pandora is imposing and honestly not extremely inviting. It is just, at least at this point, a flat piece of ground with rock formations all around you. There are the fake plants, but the emphasis is all on those rocks. Rocks are cool, but they are not extremely live able. Perhaps I am just weird -I also found fault with Mysterious Island for this- but I found Pandora surprisingly harsh.

To me Pandora's spaces are a mixture of impressive grandeur and wide open expanses that fail to envelope you. If I could add one attraction to the land, I would request a Pandoran Rainforest Walkthrough. The closest thing to that is Flight of Passage's queue. That was some of my favorite land spaces. The land is a lot less extensive than I was expecting. I think the design team misjudged this. Give me less rock to walk under, and more vegetation and land areas to explore. Disney's Animal Kingdom emphasizes organic exploration and discovery. Pandora just does not offer hardly any of it.

Beautiful art and less discovery. Poor choice.

One of my favorite moments from the day was walking on the path from Pandora into Africa at night. I would have loved it if the Pandoran landscape extended out, but that choice was not made.

Now this may get less problematic as crowd distribution improves and plants grow in, but at this point I am dissapointed with where they devoted resources. I also feel the scale of the mountains are not compatible with the rest of the park.

It feels different from the rest of the park. That difference was one I was not expecting from the physical side of things. This is only exacerbated by the alien environments. It feels otherworldly in a park designed to celebrate our world. That is also profoundly disappointing. Dino-Roma feels like it belongs more than Pandora does.

Walk through Asia, Africa, and Pandora and it becomes stark one was designed in a microcosm.

That is not to say the land on its own is bad, but it strikes me as lacking harmony with the other lands.

Once again, I feel it is a singularly beautiful art piece. A misplaced one though. The land is gorgeous. I knew it would be, but I was not expecting it to feel odd within Disney's Animal Kingdom. It does. That is disappointing.

It is too alien, too imposing, and too open to truly meld with the park. I knew the story was a stretch, but the environment I thought would blend. It fails in this regard.

The story came after the IP. As long as any serious theme park fan adjusts their expectations accordingly, the story is enjoyable. While not a single one of my story complaints were addressed, it ended up being a fun narrative that does deal with some pretty cool environmental topics. It still does not deal with man's ancient and ongoing relationship with the Earth, but there are neat lessons to learn.

I would say within the constraints the Imagineers were working with, they did pretty much the best job possible. This could have been awful, but they did a pretty great work. All the same, the IP was an immediate compromise and a disappointing one. If only Pandora had been something else. The story integrity of Disney's Animal Kingdom would have been upheld. That was not to be, but at least they brought it as close as possible. Still it bodes poorly for the future...

Now onto attractions...

I really enjoyed River Journey. It seems to have been hammered by most for being boring. I liked it. In fact, I really liked it. It is a peaceful and immersive boat ride. One that is all about the vibes. Slowly and steadily it reaches a celebration. It was somewhat short, but I was well prepared for the length by some of the other posters. I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It really is just a fun journey that is rejuvenating.

Too be completely honest, I think I was mesmerized.

My traveling companions were extremely negative, but I think their expectations were off. I was happy with it. Part of the park is being changed by adventure. The ride really is enchanting and quite a journey. It is one that is all about going to commune and appreciate the natural world. It shuns a convoluted narrative, and is instead just about living in the moment. It is all about the experience.

Think less Spaceship Earth, and more Haunted Mansion.

I for one enjoy attractions that require paying attention and have a linear plot, but it is also refreshing to experience ride that only asks you to look around and soak in the environment. The attraction's story and message are conveyed by the slow buildup to the climax and the harmony of the natural world.

A theme in this attraction is the idea of "traveling" or "journeying" to nature. Everyone coming together and communing. The animals hear this call. The Navi hear the call. We hear the call. We all come together in song to celebrate our common existence. All of nature (including us) are going somewhere. Every living thing hears the call.

Watch the attraction in the context of a "journey," and you will see what I mean.

The Navi Mystic channels all her power and understanding and leads the song. She guides us and lets us communicate with nature. She is metaphorical for mysticism of real human cultures. The ride conveys the value of ancient (non western) understanding of nature. Instead of something to shut out and hide from, they put it in the very center of their lives. A big part of the film Avatar, was the value the Navi get from their intimate relationship with nature. We are supposed to see that same value and take it home with us.

Changed through adventure.

As you move closer and closer to this celebration, the music and the pull become stronger. Little by little the call becomes greater until you come face to face with the incredible final scene.

The length really is not much of an issue. Could it be longer? Sure. Does it accomplish what it intends to do? Absolutely.

I am not one to pull a Steve Jobs "you're holding it wrong," but really go into the ride with a different mindset if you are not a fan. Keep quiet. The sound and clearing your mind are important. The finale music actually starts several show scenes before the end. It builds.

One issue I did have was many of the effects failing to work. I saw only a handful of the floating Jellyfish things working. That is a failure by any metric. They need to pull that stuff together.

All the same, I think it fits in nicely as an experience. As long as you embrace it for what it is, I think it is an excellent addition to the Disney Park family of attractions. One that could only really exist at Disney's Animal Kingdom (unless it was a clone). It is a back to the basics attraction. One that stands in stark contrast to some of the crap being created right now.

On a personal note, I got on the attraction at one point, and I was completely alone on my boat. Whoa. Just a really unique experience. That is more like what the land should be like. Immersive environments that envelope you. The boat ride does the land better than the land does. I could ride it over and over (and did... ;) ).

Very very unique. You honestly would not find something like that at other Disney or Universal Parks. This sort of ride is why I like Disney.

I may get ridiculed for this, but it is mesmerizing. Seriously.

Flight of Passage. The attraction that is supposed to change everything. The one that is Disney's new and exciting addition. The one that is supposed to push boundaries. The hype was extreme and unsurpassed. Flight of Passage was the flagship ride of the experience. So how is it?

I thought it was an excellent ride. One of the very finest ever created by WDI. The experience starts in the excellent queue that takes you on a winding pathway up the mountain. Really a remarkable and beautiful path. Then you will find yourself in a series of caverns (in which a bozo and I got into a "discussion" about line placement- some people are just obnoxious). The caverns are sacred to the Navi people, but were desecrated by the RDA (bad guys in Avatar). The paintings display the creation of Pandora according to Navi legend, as well as the close connection Navi's have to Ikran. If I am understanding the art correctly (not a guarantee by any stretch) it appears Banshee are a way of returning or getting closer to their maker (they apparently equate a planet in their solar system with their God).

This sets the stage for an interesting story detail. The Navi take a wholly emotional view of Ikran. They care so deeply about Banshee, not because they get something from them, but because they are sacred. They represent life, returning to the sky, and freedom. Their relationship with the Banshee is based off of mutual respect. They love them.

All of the above is once again metaphorical for the very real cultures that approach nature in this way. Now compare this to Western Cultures. Are these cultures approaching their relationship with animals like that?

The ride is planting the seeds of the plants they will harvest down the (very long) queue.

Then you make it into the RDA complex. Compare the respect and reverence the Navi take and the rigid harsh drill marks of the RDA.

Compare and contrast.

Though another thing becomes evident. The RDA facility is being reclaimed. It is falling away to the nature. It looks old. It looks dead, in contrast to the life of nature. Nature is winning. Nature is reclaiming.

You then begin to see the Mountain Banshee Project in action. Water pollution is rampant after years of mining and war, and the Mountain Banshee Project study these Apex predators. Nature may be winning, but humanity still has a responsibility to help win the war they started.

Because Banshee are at the top of the food chain, they bear the worst of the pollution as toxins build up in each successive layer of the food chain. That threatens the very existence of Ikran. Their demise would be disastrous. So now the Pandora Conservation Initiative is on a race against time to cleanse water sources.

There is only one problem. Ikran and humans are not compatible. It will take a whole new approach to complete the study...

In order for the scientists to get close to Ikran, they have take on an Avatar. Remember the emotional relationship of the Navi? Well it will take the emotional if the science is going to work to save these creatures. The scientists have to be humble enough (the guests have to be humble enough) to step down from their book smarts, and just follow the heart and ancient traditions of the Navi.

The act of taking on the Avatar is leaving your stigma, your rigid reason, and sensibilities and admitting your own inadequacy. If we are going to do this, we have to be taught. We have to go back. Back to an understanding of nature built off of mutual respect. Remember the seeds they planted in the cave? Well the harvest is here.

Could RDA and all of its technology save Ikran? Nope. Only the Navi can.

This is once again a metaphor. We need to learn from different cultures. If we want to save our own Earth, we have got to get back to what matters. A love of the Earth.

As for the ride itself...

There are two key components of the ride.
1) The ride experience
2) Content of the ride

The best way to understand the ride is to realize it is essentially Soarin' or Soaring. You are placed in front of a screen and a vehicle manipulates the ride chair and passenger in harmony with the action on the screen ahead of you. Throughout the journey, other senses are occupied by smells, and in FoP's case, water. All of these elements combine to create the sensation of flight.

Flight of Passage is not actually that radical of a departure from existing systems. It is strikingly similar to an attraction that remains popular in EPCOT; that attraction sits mere miles away from Flight of Passage. Yet, Flight of Passage moves the ball forward in significant and meaningful ways.

Imagine everything that made Soarin' slightly unrealistic suddenly vanishing. Were you unsatisfied with the explanation on how you ended up in the sky? Fixed. Did you realize that the pesky transitions over thousands of miles were impossible? Fixed. What if the feet of the riders above you threw you out of the experience? Fixed.

Story inconsistency is almost none existent. This is a simulator that makes complete sense within the story and technological boundaries that have been set.

My complaints with Soarin' as a transportive experience have all been addressed. Short of turning my head sharply or carefully studying the ride vehicle, everything puts you into the story.

The air, water, and scents are used expertly to create one of the most compelling simulator attractions I have ever experienced. The ride uses every trick in the book, but does so with an experienced hand. This simulator was created by individuals who blended all the disparate elements masterfully.

The ride vehicle also contributes to the experience. The greater degrees of freedom allowed by the ride system gives an all together different experience. It feels individual and more wild than it otherwise would. I was not convinced that the single large IMAX screen could accomplish a truly great and immersive ride. It just did.

It is not any single thing they did, but the collection of every detail coming together in harmony. That ride is flawlessly executed.

Now onto content of the ride. You can have the best executed ride system in the world, but if the content stinks... Well... The ride stinks. The content begins first with a slightly amusing/gimmicky linking thing. Honestly it is better than nothing, but not by much. Now the video by the Doctor is pretty great. The author of a book called "My Connection," she is the one who realized it will take emotion to restore Pandora. She clearly respects the Navi. Clearly.

She leaves out most of the scientific details. She wants you to know that this is about you and your Banshee. The Dr. also wants you to know that the experience you are about to have is meaningful. The message is implicit. Take what is going to happen seriously and you will be changed. Your loss if you fail to heed this.

Very cool opener that gives further backstory and sets the stage for the action.

Now onto the link chairs. You sit down like a motorcycle, and then a restraints comes up from behind (Tron LPR fans will find this familiar). You then have a nifty display give you data and also occasionally shows off your double chin (thanks Disney :) ). Finally it engages. With a whole bunch of lights and a little signal finding symbol thing, you suddenly find yourself far away from the cold sterile environment of the lab. You are on a Banshee.

The ride proceeds from there. Your Navi guide takes you on a Journey.

I feel what differentiates Good rides from really good rides is pacing. Pacing of the experience is perhaps the most important factor in a story's success. A story needs highs and lows. A story needs triumph and failure. A story needs slow and fast.

Flight of Passage brings all of those devices.

The story starts with what I would describe as a period of hesitation or dipping your toe in the water (literally). You seem a little timid as you take that first leap, but you quickly figure it out. Every Journey starts with a leap and a risk. That happens literally here. You quickly gain comfort and make more and more bold maneuvers (you encounter a sea monster and have one of the coolest water effects there).

Then comes your challenge. The part that makes you scared. The almost youthful confidence and newfound comfort are thrown away as you fly for life when an angry winged predator (hinted at in the queue) comes out for a meal (an Apex Apex Predator). You narrowly escape and take refuge in a cave. That fear and adrenaline makes it seem all is lost.

Not so. Suddenly the dark cavern transforms as the cave comes to life with bioluminescent light. Wiser and more experienced you set out once again, this time you know and trust your Animal and guide. You Journey and take bolder and bolder risks. You dive and come close to herds of animals. Finally at the last moment you take one more dive and land on a rock. In front of you is a picturesque vista. Captivating. Then like waking up from a dream you are pulled from the view back to the lab. It's over. It's not forgotten though.

Really nicely executed I would say. Quite bold with the pacing. This could have been nonstop action, but instead it was a Journey.

Very very well done.

Flight of Passage's ride system has a host of potential uses. One easy one I see them using is an Avenger's ride. Imagine flying next to Iron Man on a Stark Branded Speeder Bike! Or even a Star Wars ride, theoretically... They aren't that predictable are they?

The land is epic. The land is not intimate. The land is still not in the right park. The land is beautiful. The land has amazing rides. The land should have been somewhere else. The land is far far too alien.

The land should have been something else.

It isn't though. At the end of the day Disney's Animal Kingdom is better for having it, but it's a shame we have to go for this level of compromise. It is maddening that even when WDI is at its finest, there are still fundamental problems. I don't agree with every decision art direction made either. I would have preferred more intimate spaces.

It is a very good land... But just as misplaced as it was in 2011. Now that WDI has proven what they can do at Disney's Animal Kingdom... What's next?

Roknrollrghostr

@DDLand Thank you for taking your time to write this. You have a talent with words and I appreciate the thought you put into all aspects of your review of this land. I also love that you went beyond the surface to express the meaning and emotional connections throughout. I find your opinions of the land fascinating, the way you seem to be completely enchanted yet still feel as something is not quite right. It's a very interesting perspective and I enjoyed reading it.

DDLand

@DDLand Thank you for taking your time to write this. You have a talent with words and I appreciate the thought you put into all aspects of your review of this land. I also love that you went beyond the surface to express the meaning and emotional connections throughout. I find your opinions of the land fascinating, the way you seem to be completely enchanted yet still feel as something is not quite right. It's a very interesting perspective and I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you!

You summed up exactly how I feel. I have seen a few people who can't find any good in the land. I'd be lying (really lying) if I said something like that. I'd also be lying if I said I was totally fine with everything.

It's complicated.

I also hope I got across that I really really deeply care about the park. Sometimes I can be a little extreme in my views. It's only because I care a lot.

BrianLo

Hey @BrianLo and @Rteetz!

For the last several years, we have watched as floating mountains took shape. We have witnessed the testing of blue lights and captivating projections. Disney's Animal Kingdom guests have eagerly awaited the arrival of Pandora- The World of Avatar.

The initial reaction to its announcement was awful. Disney handled the roll out of an Avatar land in a remarkably ineffective way. They gave no information and no concept art. All the public knew of this land was it was to be built in Disney's Animal Kingdom, and it would be Avatar.

That was it.

Even the timeline was vague, and ultimately off.

This information vacuum created the perfect environment for two camps to emerge in opposition to the lands.

1) Who cares about the story?
2) This does not belong in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

With time, as new information came to light, most people's complaints dissipated. Really I would identity D23 2015 as the moment everything changed. People started getting excited for the newly named Pandora. Most people -it became clear- viewed Disney's Animal Kingdom as primarily a place where rainforests exist.

The opposition to the land became smaller and smaller and the enthusiasm greater and greater. Now Pandora is here.

Up until this point, I had remained against this land for philosophical reasons. My logic was simple. Disney's Animal Kingdom is about the intersection of humanity and nature. Pandora is off planet and disconnected from Earth. The lands at Disney's Animal Kingdom are all about hyper realism; when lands or attractions are fictional they are rooted in ancient traditions and real animals. Those stories have always been set in our world. Pandora is not part of our ancient human experience and is the brainchild of a random modern person.

I have gone further in depth on these points in the past, but that should be adequate enough for this review.

In spite of my own displeasure, I made the decision several months ago to view it in a vacuum and ignore these issues. I decided to view it singularly as a piece of art.

With that mindset, I approached Pandora. First I will state the obvious, it is a remarkable land. The rockwork is stunning. I have seen every great Disney rockwork edifice, and Pandora stands as a unique and landmark creation. Joe Rohde has described it as something cathedral like. Walking under the the floating mountains and just standing under them. They look good from every angle.

Every detail has methodically been touched. The artistry on everything from the moss to the plants are lavish. I think you could make an argument that some of the plants are works of art, but just imagine thousands of them. The sheer scale and scope of the project is really the amazing thing. The exhaustive amount of focus and care that had to be taken to create this land is nearly unmatched in Disney Parks. If not the most detailed natural land, it has to come super super close. While lands like Harambe and my beloved American Waterfront meet it, they're architecturally based and a whole other ball game. In terms of non architectural (or natural) projects, I would argue that Disney has just dropped the benchmark by which all other rockwork will be judged. It is on the level of Mysterious Island. It probably beats it too.

The land includes armies of alien plants; they are another example of the care taken. Everywhere you look you see these beautiful creations. Some super odd, some more familiar, but all incredibly detailed. One of my favorite areas was an interactive element which you can trigger by waving your arms. The candy corn plants spoke to me too. Cameron's LSD land is here.

Every detail is beautiful. At night, the lighting brings a whole other type of experience to life. It's pretty cool.

I don't know if there is another theme park brand that can match this creation. Disney and the Disney's Animal Kingdom design team are singularly the best at this in the industry.

Now onto the usability and livability. As I said before, I think as an art piece the land is impressive. How comfortable is it? What's it like to experience.

First things first, I want to point out something. Disney's Animal Kingdom has always been a rather intimate park. In spite of the truly massive size, the guest spaces are not imposing. The nature trails are well spaced out and framed. Everest, formerly the most monumental creation at Disney's Animal Kingdom, kept things tight and constrained as you journeyed towards it with plants and buildings providing reference that the actual Mountain is miles and miles away.

Pandora is radically different. It is massive. It is right in front of you. You walk under it. You journey around it. This is nature's cathedral. Furthermore, the land is truly epic in scope. The walkways are almost entirely exposed and visible from most places in the land.

The land is designed to blow your mind. All of nature's power and majesty towering above you. This is a design approach that I am not in love with in the context of the park. The land lacks a warmth and comfort that is found in the rest of the park.

I feel Disney's Animal Kingdom's most magical moments are when you're on a small path trekking into the wilderness. Pandora is imposing and honestly not extremely inviting. It is just, at least at this point, a flat piece of ground with rock formations all around you. There are the fake plants, but the emphasis is all on those rocks. Rocks are cool, but they are not extremely live able. Perhaps I am just weird -I also found fault with Mysterious Island for this- but I found Pandora surprisingly harsh.

To me Pandora's spaces are a mixture of impressive grandeur and wide open expanses that fail to envelope you. If I could add one attraction to the land, I would request a Pandoran Rainforest Walkthrough. The closest thing to that is Flight of Passage's queue. That was some of my favorite land spaces. The land is a lot less extensive than I was expecting. I think the design team misjudged this. Give me less rock to walk under, and more vegetation and land areas to explore. Disney's Animal Kingdom emphasizes organic exploration and discovery. Pandora just does not offer hardly any of it.

Beautiful art and less discovery. Poor choice.

One of my favorite moments from the day was walking on the path from Pandora into Africa at night. I would have loved it if the Pandoran landscape extended out, but that choice was not made.

Now this may get less problematic as crowd distribution improves and plants grow in, but at this point I am dissapointed with where they devoted resources. I also feel the scale of the mountains are not compatible with the rest of the park.

It feels different from the rest of the park. That difference was one I was not expecting from the physical side of things. This is only exacerbated by the alien environments. It feels otherworldly in a park designed to celebrate our world. That is also profoundly disappointing. Dino-Roma feels like it belongs more than Pandora does.

Walk through Asia, Africa, and Pandora and it becomes stark one was designed in a microcosm.

That is not to say the land on its own is bad, but it strikes me as lacking harmony with the other lands.

Once again, I feel it is a singularly beautiful art piece. A misplaced one though. The land is gorgeous. I knew it would be, but I was not expecting it to feel odd within Disney's Animal Kingdom. It does. That is disappointing.

It is too alien, too imposing, and too open to truly meld with the park. I knew the story was a stretch, but the environment I thought would blend. It fails in this regard.

The story came after the IP. As long as any serious theme park fan adjusts their expectations accordingly, the story is enjoyable. While not a single one of my story complaints were addressed, it ended up being a fun narrative that does deal with some pretty cool environmental topics. It still does not deal with man's ancient and ongoing relationship with the Earth, but there are neat lessons to learn.

I would say within the constraints the Imagineers were working with, they did pretty much the best job possible. This could have been awful, but they did a pretty great work. All the same, the IP was an immediate compromise and a disappointing one. If only Pandora had been something else. The story integrity of Disney's Animal Kingdom would have been upheld. That was not to be, but at least they brought it as close as possible. Still it bodes poorly for the future...

Now onto attractions...

I really enjoyed River Journey. It seems to have been hammered by most for being boring. I liked it. In fact, I really liked it. It is a peaceful and immersive boat ride. One that is all about the vibes. Slowly and steadily it reaches a celebration. It was somewhat short, but I was well prepared for the length by some of the other posters. I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It really is just a fun journey that is rejuvenating.

Too be completely honest, I think I was mesmerized.

My traveling companions were extremely negative, but I think their expectations were off. I was happy with it. Part of the park is being changed by adventure. The ride really is enchanting and quite a journey. It is one that is all about going to commune and appreciate the natural world. It shuns a convoluted narrative, and is instead just about living in the moment. It is all about the experience.

Think less Spaceship Earth, and more Haunted Mansion.

I for one enjoy attractions that require paying attention and have a linear plot, but it is also refreshing to experience ride that only asks you to look around and soak in the environment. The attraction's story and message are conveyed by the slow buildup to the climax and the harmony of the natural world.

A theme in this attraction is the idea of "traveling" or "journeying" to nature. Everyone coming together and communing. The animals hear this call. The Navi hear the call. We hear the call. We all come together in song to celebrate our common existence. All of nature (including us) are going somewhere. Every living thing hears the call.

Watch the attraction in the context of a "journey," and you will see what I mean.

The Navi Mystic channels all her power and understanding and leads the song. She guides us and lets us communicate with nature. She is metaphorical for mysticism of real human cultures. The ride conveys the value of ancient (non western) understanding of nature. Instead of something to shut out and hide from, they put it in the very center of their lives. A big part of the film Avatar, was the value the Navi get from their intimate relationship with nature. We are supposed to see that same value and take it home with us.

Changed through adventure.

As you move closer and closer to this celebration, the music and the pull become stronger. Little by little the call becomes greater until you come face to face with the incredible final scene.

The length really is not much of an issue. Could it be longer? Sure. Does it accomplish what it intends to do? Absolutely.

I am not one to pull a Steve Jobs "you're holding it wrong," but really go into the ride with a different mindset if you are not a fan. Keep quiet. The sound and clearing your mind are important. The finale music actually starts several show scenes before the end. It builds.

One issue I did have was many of the effects failing to work. I saw only a handful of the floating Jellyfish things working. That is a failure by any metric. They need to pull that stuff together.

All the same, I think it fits in nicely as an experience. As long as you embrace it for what it is, I think it is an excellent addition to the Disney Park family of attractions. One that could only really exist at Disney's Animal Kingdom (unless it was a clone). It is a back to the basics attraction. One that stands in stark contrast to some of the crap being created right now.

On a personal note, I got on the attraction at one point, and I was completely alone on my boat. Whoa. Just a really unique experience. That is more like what the land should be like. Immersive environments that envelope you. The boat ride does the land better than the land does. I could ride it over and over (and did... ;) ).

Very very unique. You honestly would not find something like that at other Disney or Universal Parks. This sort of ride is why I like Disney.

I may get ridiculed for this, but it is mesmerizing. Seriously.

Flight of Passage. The attraction that is supposed to change everything. The one that is Disney's new and exciting addition. The one that is supposed to push boundaries. The hype was extreme and unsurpassed. Flight of Passage was the flagship ride of the experience. So how is it?

I thought it was an excellent ride. One of the very finest ever created by WDI. The experience starts in the excellent queue that takes you on a winding pathway up the mountain. Really a remarkable and beautiful path. Then you will find yourself in a series of caverns (in which a bozo and I got into a "discussion" about line placement- some people are just obnoxious). The caverns are sacred to the Navi people, but were desecrated by the RDA (bad guys in Avatar). The paintings display the creation of Pandora according to Navi legend, as well as the close connection Navi's have to Ikran. If I am understanding the art correctly (not a guarantee by any stretch) it appears Banshee are a way of returning or getting closer to their maker (they apparently equate a planet in their solar system with their God).

This sets the stage for an interesting story detail. The Navi take a wholly emotional view of Ikran. They care so deeply about Banshee, not because they get something from them, but because they are sacred. They represent life, returning to the sky, and freedom. Their relationship with the Banshee is based off of mutual respect. They love them.

All of the above is once again metaphorical for the very real cultures that approach nature in this way. Now compare this to Western Cultures. Are these cultures approaching their relationship with animals like that?

The ride is planting the seeds of the plants they will harvest down the (very long) queue.

Then you make it into the RDA complex. Compare the respect and reverence the Navi take and the rigid harsh drill marks of the RDA.

Compare and contrast.

Though another thing becomes evident. The RDA facility is being reclaimed. It is falling away to the nature. It looks old. It looks dead, in contrast to the life of nature. Nature is winning. Nature is reclaiming.

You then begin to see the Mountain Banshee Project in action. Water pollution is rampant after years of mining and war, and the Mountain Banshee Project study these Apex predators. Nature may be winning, but humanity still has a responsibility to help win the war they started.

Because Banshee are at the top of the food chain, they bear the worst of the pollution as toxins build up in each successive layer of the food chain. That threatens the very existence of Ikran. Their demise would be disastrous. So now the Pandora Conservation Initiative is on a race against time to cleanse water sources.

There is only one problem. Ikran and humans are not compatible. It will take a whole new approach to complete the study...

In order for the scientists to get close to Ikran, they have take on an Avatar. Remember the emotional relationship of the Navi? Well it will take the emotional if the science is going to work to save these creatures. The scientists have to be humble enough (the guests have to be humble enough) to step down from their book smarts, and just follow the heart and ancient traditions of the Navi.

The act of taking on the Avatar is leaving your stigma, your rigid reason, and sensibilities and admitting your own inadequacy. If we are going to do this, we have to be taught. We have to go back. Back to an understanding of nature built off of mutual respect. Remember the seeds they planted in the cave? Well the harvest is here.

Could RDA and all of its technology save Ikran? Nope. Only the Navi can.

This is once again a metaphor. We need to learn from different cultures. If we want to save our own Earth, we have got to get back to what matters. A love of the Earth.

As for the ride itself...

There are two key components of the ride.
1) The ride experience
2) Content of the ride

The best way to understand the ride is to realize it is essentially Soarin' or Soaring. You are placed in front of a screen and a vehicle manipulates the ride chair and passenger in harmony with the action on the screen ahead of you. Throughout the journey, other senses are occupied by smells, and in FoP's case, water. All of these elements combine to create the sensation of flight.

Flight of Passage is not actually that radical of a departure from existing systems. It is strikingly similar to an attraction that remains popular in EPCOT; that attraction sits mere miles away from Flight of Passage. Yet, Flight of Passage moves the ball forward in significant and meaningful ways.

Imagine everything that made Soarin' slightly unrealistic suddenly vanishing. Were you unsatisfied with the explanation on how you ended up in the sky? Fixed. Did you realize that the pesky transitions over thousands of miles were impossible? Fixed. What if the feet of the riders above you threw you out of the experience? Fixed.

Story inconsistency is almost none existent. This is a simulator that makes complete sense within the story and technological boundaries that have been set.

My complaints with Soarin' as a transportive experience have all been addressed. Short of turning my head sharply or carefully studying the ride vehicle, everything puts you into the story.

The air, water, and scents are used expertly to create one of the most compelling simulator attractions I have ever experienced. The ride uses every trick in the book, but does so with an experienced hand. This simulator was created by individuals who blended all the disparate elements masterfully.

The ride vehicle also contributes to the experience. The greater degrees of freedom allowed by the ride system gives an all together different experience. It feels individual and more wild than it otherwise would. I was not convinced that the single large IMAX screen could accomplish a truly great and immersive ride. It just did.

It is not any single thing they did, but the collection of every detail coming together in harmony. That ride is flawlessly executed.

Now onto content of the ride. You can have the best executed ride system in the world, but if the content stinks... Well... The ride stinks. The content begins first with a slightly amusing/gimmicky linking thing. Honestly it is better than nothing, but not by much. Now the video by the Doctor is pretty great. The author of a book called "My Connection," she is the one who realized it will take emotion to restore Pandora. She clearly respects the Navi. Clearly.

She leaves out most of the scientific details. She wants you to know that this is about you and your Banshee. The Dr. also wants you to know that the experience you are about to have is meaningful. The message is implicit. Take what is going to happen seriously and you will be changed. Your loss if you fail to heed this.

Very cool opener that gives further backstory and sets the stage for the action.

Now onto the link chairs. You sit down like a motorcycle, and then a restraints comes up from behind (Tron LPR fans will find this familiar). You then have a nifty display give you data and also occasionally shows off your double chin (thanks Disney :) ). Finally it engages. With a whole bunch of lights and a little signal finding symbol thing, you suddenly find yourself far away from the cold sterile environment of the lab. You are on a Banshee.

The ride proceeds from there. Your Navi guide takes you on a Journey.

I feel what differentiates Good rides from really good rides is pacing. Pacing of the experience is perhaps the most important factor in a story's success. A story needs highs and lows. A story needs triumph and failure. A story needs slow and fast.

Flight of Passage brings all of those devices.

The story starts with what I would describe as a period of hesitation or dipping your toe in the water (literally). You seem a little timid as you take that first leap, but you quickly figure it out. Every Journey starts with a leap and a risk. That happens literally here. You quickly gain comfort and make more and more bold maneuvers (you encounter a sea monster and have one of the coolest water effects there).

Then comes your challenge. The part that makes you scared. The almost youthful confidence and newfound comfort are thrown away as you fly for life when an angry winged predator (hinted at in the queue) comes out for a meal (an Apex Apex Predator). You narrowly escape and take refuge in a cave. That fear and adrenaline makes it seem all is lost.

Not so. Suddenly the dark cavern transforms as the cave comes to life with bioluminescent light. Wiser and more experienced you set out once again, this time you know and trust your Animal and guide. You Journey and take bolder and bolder risks. You dive and come close to herds of animals. Finally at the last moment you take one more dive and land on a rock. In front of you is a picturesque vista. Captivating. Then like waking up from a dream you are pulled from the view back to the lab. It's over. It's not forgotten though.

Really nicely executed I would say. Quite bold with the pacing. This could have been nonstop action, but instead it was a Journey.

Very very well done.

Flight of Passage's ride system has a host of potential uses. One easy one I see them using is an Avenger's ride. Imagine flying next to Iron Man on a Stark Branded Speeder Bike! Or even a Star Wars ride, theoretically... They aren't that predictable are they?

The land is epic. The land is not intimate. The land is still not in the right park. The land is beautiful. The land has amazing rides. The land should have been somewhere else. The land is far far too alien.

The land should have been something else.

It isn't though. At the end of the day Disney's Animal Kingdom is better for having it, but it's a shame we have to go for this level of compromise. It is maddening that even when WDI is at its finest, there are still fundamental problems. I don't agree with every decision art direction made either. I would have preferred more intimate spaces.

It is a very good land... But just as misplaced as it was in 2011. Now that WDI has proven what they can do at Disney's Animal Kingdom... What's next?

Thanks for the earnest, honest review (which I'm sure you'll get some flack for even though you dealt out lots of compliments).

I think your singular hang ups about Animal Kingdom has to be about Earth and man's ancient legend's are self imposed and not a written rule of AK... at least not anymore.

In all ways Pandora fulfills the vision of AK except through an alien lens... to allow for introspection about what we've done to our earth and a mistakes 'we' almost brought to a new one.

The hang up with the origins of an idea should not colour our experiences... whether one is steeped in ancient earth lore or adapts a Sci Fi narrative using those elements, the spark of an idea - no matter where it comes from - can either successfully be fanned into a fire or whittle and die.

The layout is very new WDI though with wide vistas. It's certainly more AK and less SDL, but it does need to fill in somewhat. I just can't see the justification of Pandora versus Dinorama. That to me says you are singularly too invested in the concepts of earth/legend instead of the overarching narratives that actually drive AK. Not that you are wrong, just that we have very different concepts of the purpose of AK.

Conservation, harmony with nature, sustainable practices, protecting endangered species, adventure eco-tourism, ancient lore (even if that's an alien species ancient lore). Dinorama is simply garish and stands completely outside of Africa, Asia and Pandora... which blend together beautifully. Paving nature for a road side attraction to make a few bucks from tourists does nothing to respect any of the themes AK truly represents... earthly or other worldly.

Kman101

Very well thought out and explained post @DDLand

I personally didn't go into FOP expecting it to be any kind of "game changer" and I think expecting it to be is the wrong way to approach it. It's a simulator that's immersive and very well done. It wasn't a game changer to the degree some think it should have been.

UpDog71

I think where Pandora and DAK on the whole succeeds was summed up best by Joe Rhode. HE points out that this is the only park that you experience in the "first-person". You are not a spectator (such as on Pirates or Haunted Mansion), you ARE on a Banshee in Pandora, you ARE on safari in Africa, etc., etc., etc.

BrianLo

Very well thought out and explained post @DDLand

I personally didn't go into FOP expecting it to be any kind of "game changer" and I think expecting it to be is the wrong way to approach it. It's a simulator that's immersive and very well done. It wasn't a game changer to the degree some think it should have been.

Personally I think I undervalue just how much people like Soaring. To me it's a toss away attraction, but it's not unheard of for some of the general populace to call it their favourite attraction.

FOP roles out literally all the bells and whistles to make it an E ticket and that's why people are losing their minds (the fact it's the first E-ticket in a decade making it really the only working modern E ticket certainly helps).

Even if the Star Wars battle escape attraction is what I'm looking forward to, we probably can't undersell that the 'secondary' Millenium Falcon attraction will also be ridiculously well received.

FigmentJedi

I think where Pandora and DAK on the whole succeeds was summed up best by Joe Rhode. HE points out that this is the only park that you experience in the "first-person". You are not a spectator (such as on Pirates or Haunted Mansion), you ARE on a Banshee in Pandora, you ARE on safari in Africa, etc., etc., etc.
But Mansion is a first person experience focused on you exploring this haunted house and the ghosts seeking to interact with you escalates from invisible poltergeist activity to becoming visible and throwing a party to trying to come home with you.

twebber55

once again, plot and theme are two different things
the themes of avatar line up exactly with DAK
this is a great addition to the park, it absolutely does its job and keeps DAK open later with things to do

DDLand

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Personally I think I undervalue just how much people like Soaring. To me it's a toss away attraction, but it's not unheard of for some of the general populace to call it their favourite attraction.

FOP roles out literally all the bells and whistles to make it an E ticket and that's why people are losing their minds (the fact it's the first E-ticket in a decade making it really the only working modern E ticket certainly helps).

Even if the Star Wars battle escape attraction is what I'm looking forward to, we probably can't undersell that the 'secondary' Millenium Falcon attraction will also be ridiculously well received.
I'm with you two. Flight of Passage is just another simulater Soarin' type attraction, just like Pirates of the Carribean Battle for the Sunken Treasure is just another it's a small world.

The experience is iterative. It's also much much better than its predecessors. Does every attraction have to be a Matterhorn or a Indiana Jones that redefines a category? Hardly.

Flight of Passage takes a ride experience that was more a showcase of what the technology could do, and then utilizes it as part of a bigger story. It's the equivalent of taking musical revues (Soarin') and putting into a musical (FoP).

I also have to applaud the care and artistic choices of the film. I think new Soarin' is a vastly inferior experience to the original. It lost the emotional arc of California. Flight of Passage takes it to the next level.

It's not only a very well done technological showcase, but a very well done story. Hard to ask for a superior simulater. Any theme park operator can make a Soarin ride these days. The content and story is what makes the difference. Disney just raised the bar to heights that are probably insurmountable. It's thrilling for the thrill seekers, thoughtful for the thinkers, and beautiful for those seeking art.

Very good ride.

Edit: It's interesting you mention SWE. In context of Shanghai where Soarin can regularly command greater waits than PotCBftST, it's fascinating. Very very odd. Though as an aside, Tron is supposedly the most popular attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom