Game of this Generation?

WED99

Original Poster
OF this generation, mhm one game is tough, I think bioshock really pushed the envelopes for gaming but honestly we were given some of this gens greatest games this year I think the last of us for me goes right up there next to ocarina of time
Ocarina of time is from 2 generations ago.

WED99

Original Poster
Game of the generation shouldn't be about innovation or achievement... Simply which had the most market mass...

It's hard to argue against the call of duty series or halo in those regards. They are just so dominating in sales and online play

Hl2 was great of course... But hl1 had far more online play and mods in my experience.
Not really. By game of the generation I meant what was your favorite.

sweetpee_1993

I'll go out on a limb here and speak the games my plugged-in teen boys live by.

Chandler, 17, is a die-hard CoD guy. I've had to go to 2 launch events. Very strange. I'm thankful he's now old enough to do those without me. Recently he's been pretty immersed in a driving game, I'd have to ask which one. I know he's got every NFS. Also Grand Tourismo? Is that a game? He took his last paycheck to Frye's and bought some crazy $300+ steering wheel w/separate shifter & peddles. It's nice but I wasn't thrilled w/such a big splurge when he's supposed to be saving. LOL! He and I play Rock Band together when we can. We both love music. He's got RB 2 & 3 for PS3 (RB1 on Wii). We prefer 2's engine. Our "band" in tour mode? The Walter E's! He's got Good Wood mods on his drum heads for better play. He plays everything in expert. Kills me. I'm a flaling idiot on the drums. I play guitar & can hit 95%+ on medium. Some things I can play on the hard level. He lost the part that plugs into the console & sends the signal (I sound like such a girl not knowing the names of these parts) to my favorite guitar so I'm still struggling with his older one. 2 of my fingers on the fret buttons were heavily maimed when I was little & don't work right. I have to really twist my hand around to get to the buttons. Grrr!!! We have easily 100+ songs from DLC. I'd suspect much more but not sure.

Brian, 15, is more into the story-type games. Recently he's been insane for The Last of Us. Game franchises he's followed for a few years include the Assassins Creed & Uncharted games. He's also enjoyed Bioshock, too. There's a few more I'm not thinking of just now. Like a Batman story thing? Something about Archam City or Assylum??? Red Dead Redemption sounds familiar, too. This kid also does a little PC gaming on his dad's big-boy computer. He's got a Steam account. He loves Minecraft. Not entirely sure what other games he does PC-wise.

Never allowed the boys to bring GTA home. Sorry, I used to be a cop. Not down with the lets-pretend-thug things like the 50 Cent game, etc. I'm pretty laid back about not censoring music, movies, games, etc. but those were the things where I drew the line & put my foot down. Moms suck sometimes, I know. ;)

I'll have to ask if Brian has heard of or played the Half Life games. Sounds like something he'd get into.

Interesting read...even for an old mom-person. LOL!

WED99

Original Poster
I'll go out on a limb here and speak the games my plugged-in teen boys live by.

Chandler, 17, is a die-hard CoD guy. I've had to go to 2 launch events. Very strange. I'm thankful he's now old enough to do those without me. Recently he's been pretty immersed in a driving game, I'd have to ask which one. I know he's got every NFS. Also Grand Tourismo? Is that a game? He took his last paycheck to Frye's and bought some crazy $300+ steering wheel w/separate shifter & peddles. It's nice but I wasn't thrilled w/such a big splurge when he's supposed to be saving. LOL! He and I play Rock Band together when we can. We both love music. He's got RB 2 & 3 for PS3 (RB1 on Wii). We prefer 2's engine. Our "band" in tour mode? The Walter E's! He's got Good Wood mods on his drum heads for better play. He plays everything in expert. Kills me. I'm a flaling idiot on the drums. I play guitar & can hit 95%+ on medium. Some things I can play on the hard level. He lost the part that plugs into the console & sends the signal (I sound like such a girl not knowing the names of these parts) to my favorite guitar so I'm still struggling with his older one. 2 of my fingers on the fret buttons were heavily maimed when I was little & don't work right. I have to really twist my hand around to get to the buttons. Grrr!!! We have easily 100+ songs from DLC. I'd suspect much more but not sure.

Brian, 15, is more into the story-type games. Recently he's been insane for The Last of Us. Game franchises he's followed for a few years include the Assassins Creed & Uncharted games. He's also enjoyed Bioshock, too. There's a few more I'm not thinking of just now. Like a Batman story thing? Something about Archam City or Assylum??? Red Dead Redemption sounds familiar, too. This kid also does a little PC gaming on his dad's big-boy computer. He's got a Steam account. He loves Minecraft. Not entirely sure what other games he does PC-wise.

Never allowed the boys to bring GTA home. Sorry, I used to be a cop. Not down with the lets-pretend-thug things like the 50 Cent game, etc. I'm pretty laid back about not censoring music, movies, games, etc. but those were the things where I drew the line & put my foot down. Moms suck sometimes, I know. ;)

I'll have to ask if Brian has heard of or played the Half Life games. Sounds like something he'd get into.

Interesting read...even for an old mom-person. LOL!
You have a great memory, pretty much everything you said is spot on. Rockband is great when you've got friends over or a family that play games!

My mom used to be the same with GTA. She eventually got tired of me practically living at my friends house to play it so she just kinda gave up :p

Bairstow

Half Life 2 was at least a generation ago. Not only was it available for the original Xbox, a lot of the kids who played it in high school have already been designing games in the industry for a while now.

Of the current console generation I'd put Fallout 3 at the top of my list.
It's a nearly-perfect conflux of strong and varied gameplay mechanics, technical mastery, and truly inspired story and art direction.

After that I'd give nods to Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2, Skyrim, and Bioshock: Infinite.

sweetpee_1993

Skyrim! Skyrim is the one Brian plays on PC!

I polled Chandler. His favorite game for this generation of consoles: CoD-MW2. It's his fav of the CoD franchise. I asked what racing game he's been do big on recently. Gran Turismo 5. ((I totally just got schooled on spelling the name right.)) He's been playing online with his buddies a lot.

Speaking of the online play! I'm so glad my boys are finally old enough that all the people they play online no longer include pre-pubescent boys. Ugh! There's nothing more startling than walking past their room and hearing some 8 yro voice shouting filthy expletives. I stomach it much better when its more grown-sounding voices. LOL!

afar28

I don't want to say it definitely will, but I sure hope so! I haven't been this excited for a game since LA Noire!
That is one of the most underrated games of this generation. Outstanding game, but doesn't get as much credit as other rockstar games, like GTA and Red dead redemption, but I think it should.

Bairstow

With multiplayer name a game at that time that had that good of a multiplayer.

Well, just counting online multiplayer FPS games: Starsiege: Tribes, Counterstrike, Halo 2, Halo 3, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Doom, Doom 2...

Bparso87

Well, just counting online multiplayer FPS games: Starsiege: Tribes, Counterstrike, Halo 2, Halo 3, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Doom, Doom 2...
If anything halo 1&2. Unreal tournament was great but not good as cod 4. And just not a fan of battlefield. It is a question of game of the generation that does not always best game. Love it r hate cod changed gaming for ever. Look at sales of games over the past decade and it started with cod 4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom