Game of this Generation?

WED99

Original Poster
With the next generation of consoles right around the corner there is no better time than now to ask ourselves "What is your favourite game of this generation?"

For me it's Minecraft, with Red Dead Redemption coming in at a close second. What about you guys?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Lambda 3? What's that?

The Half Life 3 logo.

images

WED99

Original Poster
The Half Life 3 logo.

images
Oh! Yeh I think it'd be interesting to see how Half Life 3 is received by today's gamers. Obviously the PC crowd would adore it but things have changed a lot since then. The FPS revolution came pretty much straight after HL2's release and a lot of gamers aren't looking for those great cinematic experiences anymore, they just want multiplayer. 80% of my friends haven't even played a campaign in recent years, how unfortunate for them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh! Yeh I think it'd be interesting to see how Half Life 3 is received by today's gamers. Obviously the PC crowd would adore it but things have changed a lot since then. The FPS revolution came pretty much straight after HL2's release and a lot of gamers aren't looking for those great cinematic experiences anymore, they just want multiplayer. 80% of my friends haven't even played a campaign in recent years, how unfortunate for them.

That was the interesting thing about half life, there were no cinematics. All the story was done in game. You will always have the MP only players, but I think HL3, done right, would be game of the year. HL2: The Orange Box was voted game of the decade on the VGA awards.

WED99

Original Poster
That was the interesting thing about half life, there were no cinematics. All the story was done in game. You will always have the MP only players, but I think HL3, done right, would be game of the year. HL2: The Orange Box was voted game of the decade on the VGA awards.
By cinematic I meant story driven almost similar to a movie in some sequences, for example interacting with that dog for the first time. The great thing was though half life made it fully playable as opposed to other games which would give you a cutscene.

If HL3 is ever announced I'll make it my goal to play through all the others (only played HL2) so I can really understand what all the fuss is about :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
By cinematic I meant story driven almost similar to a movie in some sequences, for example interacting with that dog for the first time. The great thing was though half life made it fully playable as opposed to other games which would give you a cutscene.

If HL3 is ever announced I'll make it my goal to play through all the others (only played HL2) so I can really understand what all the fuss is about :)

If you have even a fair PC you can download Black Mesa from Steam for free. This is about the first 2/3rds of HL1 redone in HD.

PUSH

My favorite game has to be Madden. It's definitely had some issues, and in some ways is like TDO (not adding anything new, instead taking away), but I love it. The next one that comes out is going to have some new, and great features, though. Plus, I'm a huge NFL fan.

Runners-up: Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, NCAA Football

WED99

Original Poster
My favorite game has to be Madden. It's definitely had some issues, and in some ways is like TDO (not adding anything new, instead taking away), but I love it. The next one that comes out is going to have some new, and great features, though. Plus, I'm a huge NFL fan.

Runners-up: Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, NCAA Football
I've never watched a game of NFL in my life but I absolutely love Madden! Go Patriots! (Are they a good team? :p)

PUSH

I've never watched a game of NFL in my life but I absolutely love Madden! Go Patriots! (Are they a good team? :p)
Yes, they're good, but a lot of people think they are on the decline as Tom Brady nears the end of his career. And they had the whole Aaron Hernandez incident. If you don't know about that just Google his name. :p

WED99

Original Poster
Yes, they're good, but a lot of people think they are on the decline as Tom Brady nears the end of his career. And they had the whole Aaron Hernandez incident. If you don't know about that just Google his name. :p
I know Tom Brady thanks to Family Guy. I'll look up Aaron Hernandez now.

Matt7187

And I saw on twitter that another one of their players got arrested for DUI...

but talking about games, I think it is either Uncharted or GTA 4. I spent hours after hours killing random people! Haha

erasure fan1

I will have to say Mass Effect 1. Its a tough call this gen, I have to put Oblivion and Bioshock 1 a close 2nd. I will also give my under the radar game of this generation. Its a tie with enslaved odyssey to the west and Majin and the forsaken kingdom with two worlds 2 in second.

Sped2424

OF this generation, mhm one game is tough, I think bioshock really pushed the envelopes for gaming but honestly we were given some of this gens greatest games this year I think the last of us for me goes right up there next to ocarina of time

flynnibus

Premium Member
Game of the generation shouldn't be about innovation or achievement... Simply which had the most market mass...

It's hard to argue against the call of duty series or halo in those regards. They are just so dominating in sales and online play

Hl2 was great of course... But hl1 had far more online play and mods in my experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom