Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceMountain77

More twisted nonsense. Inspired by a culture is not the same as being of a culture.

I would like to see Disney try to replace Ben Franklin and Mark Twain with Kermit and Fozzie, respectively. Moreover, replace Frederick Douglass with Gonzo. Americans would be outraged with these changes to The American Adventure. However, it is perfectly fine to do this to another country.

This is my main issue.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Moreover, replace Frederick Douglass with Gonzo. Americans would be outraged with these changes to The American Adventure. However, it is perfectly fine to do this to another country..
Although I would be upset, I have to sadly disagree that Americans would be outraged. Yes, there might be a few thousand Americans actually outraged, but the vast majority of Americans that would visit EPCOT, wouldn't care less if they changed the American Adventure as long as they could get a beer somewhere close because thats what EPCOT has really become. The place to drink your way around the big pond in the middle.

Matt_Black

Although I would be upset, I have to sadly disagree that Americans would be outraged. Yes, there might be a few thousand Americans actually outraged, but the vast majority of Americans that would visit EPCOT, wouldn't care less if they changed the American Adventure as long as they could get a beer somewhere close because thats what EPCOT has really become. The place to drink your way around the big pond in the middle.

Well, maybe a bit more than a few thousand, as FOX News would kick up the outrage machine. Not the first time they've taken on the Muppets.

Gomer

The aesthetic of Arendelle is drawn directly from the aesthetic of Norway, so there are really very few aesthetic changes necessary. Is a Norway Pavilion that is only 40% - 20% about Norway really a Norway Pavilion, even if the name stays? It does not matter if the map or the buildings do not change of the heart and content have changed.
I think it does make a difference. Changing the name sends a message from Disney that the mission of World Showcase is no longer "the world". Fiction seeping in here and there corrupts the message, but it does not necessarily kill it. Making the pavilion a fictional land is an official admission that the World Showcase as it was designed is no more, and I don't think there is any coming back from that. To me, changing the name to Arendelle is the equivalent of putting space mountain in the middle of Frontierland. Putting Frozen in Maelstrom and a shop inside the Norway pavilion is like putting Iago and Zazu into the tiki room. Both are disruptions to the theme, but in my opinion, one is a far more unforgivable breach of theme than the other.

I agree, that these are just degrees of the same problem. But in this case, I do think there is meaning in the name.

twilight mitsuk

I think it does make a difference. Changing the name sends a message from Disney that the mission of World Showcase is no longer "the world". Fiction seeping in here and there corrupts the message, but it does not necessarily kill it. Making the pavilion a fictional land is an official admission that the World Showcase as it was designed is no more, and I don't think there is any coming back from that. To me, changing the name to Arendelle is the equivalent of putting space mountain in the middle of Frontierland. Putting Frozen in Maelstrom and a shop inside the Norway pavilion is like putting Iago and Zazu into the tiki room. Both are disruptions to the theme, but in my opinion, one is a far more unforgivable breach of theme than the other.

I agree, that these are just degrees of the same problem. But in this case, I do think there is meaning in the name.

OR putting IASW in AK or DHS

cw1982

Yesterday was 60 days out from when I could start to make Fastpass choices on 9/29 which is my first day there, and I didn't see Maelstrom as a choice.

While I realize I'm probably being overly optimistic at this point, let's see how the next two months go. Even if it's true that the ride is closing around that time, what occurs during that closure could still change. Or Disney could decide to not close it yet and open those dates back up.

Fingers crossed...

RSoxNo1

TouringPlans has a forum post about this whereby the original poster spoke with Disney and confirmed that Fastpass+ is not available beginning on September 28th. The individual from Disney that the poster spoke with said that there was a Frozen project that has not been confirmed but was being discussed. I don't know how much of that to believe, but if Fastpass+ isn't available from September 28th on, that's something.

Mike S

TouringPlans has a forum post about this whereby the original poster spoke with Disney and confirmed that Fastpass+ is not available beginning on September 28th. The individual from Disney that the poster spoke with said that there was a Frozen project that has not been confirmed but was being discussed. I don't know how much of that to believe, but if Fastpass+ isn't available from September 28th on, that's something.
This just gets worse and worse :cry:

ABQ

There you go. That store is awesome, but you don't buy their stuff. Similarly, the store in Norway has great things, but if people aren't buying them with great frequency, it makes no sense to have these items take up a great deal of floor space.
I've bought 3 Helly Hansen jackets from Norway over a number of years, and the prices are reasonable.

Gomer

Awesome. If everyone would follow your lead, I bet that they would increase floor space for those jackets.

If everyone followed his lead, Disney would probably make knock offs, brand them with a tacky mickey cartoon and the current year, and sell them in every store on property. It’s not always a bad thing to make niche products available for people who want unique merchandise. Mass consumption isn't the only sustainable model for mechandise. The consumer may just have to be willing to pay a premium as the profit margin on each item may need to be bigger to sustain the product’s availability.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There you go. That store is awesome, but you don't buy their stuff. Similarly, the store in Norway has great things, but if people aren't buying them with great frequency, it makes no sense to have these items take up a great deal of floor space.
One person says they dont buy merch there and you surmise that it makes no sense taking up all that floor space? I buy many things in both of those Pavilions, so does my family and the countless others I've stood in line with. By your standards that means they should increase the floor space, right?

ABQ

If everyone followed his lead, Disney would probably make knock offs, brand them with a tacky mickey cartoon and the current year, and sell them in every store on property. It’s not always a bad thing to make niche products available for people who want unique merchandise. Mass consumption isn't the only sustainable model for mechandise. The consumer may just have to be willing to pay a premium as the profit margin on each item may need to be bigger to sustain the product’s availability.
Ugh, yeah, don't want that. Besides, my packable, breathable, 100% waterproof lightweight Helly Hansen jacket is my foul weather gear answer to the tacky Mickey cartoon poncho. Granted the price difference between the two is staggering, but I have gotten years of use.

Gomer

Ugh, yeah, don't want that. Besides, my packable, breathable, 100% waterproof lightweight Helly Hansen jacket is my foul weather gear answer to the tacky Mickey cartoon poncho. Granted the price difference between the two is staggering, but I have gotten years of use.
After reading that, now I kind of want one. If I do buy one, I’ll be sure to wait and pick one up in the pavilion to support the cause. Assuming they still sell them when I go I January.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That's probly a key factor of unique merchandise being phased out. People paid a higher price for unique items such as a sports jacket with the Yacht Club Resort logo (or something similar) and Disney simply took it as a sign that customers would pay a high amount for items but they failed to recognize it was due to the uniqueness of the item, not because it was a higher price. And here we are years later with the same $30 t-shirts in every store.

Gomer

That's probly a key factor of unique merchandise being phased out. People paid a higher price for unique items such as a sports jacket with the Yacht Club Resort logo (or something similar) and Disney simply took it as a sign that customers would pay a high amount for items but they failed to recognize it was due to the uniqueness of the item, not because it was a higher price. And here we are years later with the same $30 t-shirts in every store.
And not to disparage my fellow human beings or anything, but if Walmart has taught us anything, it’s that in the absence of options people will buy whatever is in front of them. So, quality and variety drops, and people just keep spending that souvenir budget they saved up on whatever is available. Disney sees it as a victory, and those of us who enjoy shopping in Disney World lose out.

It’s the easy way to sell souvenirs. But it’s not the only way. And, I used to think it wasn’t the Disney way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom