Frozen Ever After opening day

Goofyernmost

If one simply compares FEA against what Tokyo is projected to have....then yes, mediocrity is definitely the correct word. I don't see where in @AJH219 post mentioning FEA vs Maelstrom. So why did you make that comparison? Does FEA have some more advanced AA's than Maelstrom? Of course. But does that make it WDI's best possible effort? Again.....see Tokyo plans. And yes, Tokyo isn't exactly operated by TWDC so no need to sight that. It actually is embarassing that they do a better job in most areas than WDW.
Why did I make that comparison? Because this is a thread about Frozen, that replaced Maelstrom. Why would I be comparing anything in Japan in a post about something in Epcot?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Why did I make that comparison? Because this is a thread about Frozen, that replaced Maelstrom. Why would I be comparing anything in Japan in a post about something in Epcot?
Lets start form the begining. @AJH219 stated how people celebrate the mediocrity of this ride, and if your honest with yourself, it is in fact mediocre. Thats not saying its a bad ride, just mediocre by certain standards of imagineering. Your response was a comparison of MAlestorm vs FEA. I was only asking why you wouldnt consider FEA mediocre when comparing it to what other parks are doing with the IP. While FEA may be a nice ride, that doesnt excuse the fact that it is not their best, or even half best attmept at an attraction for the largest grossing animated film ever, especially considering the operational/capacity issues. So why would you NOT compare it to "something" in Japan, and that very "something" being a completely better version of what we are discussing? Comparing FEA to Maelstrom is a weak argument when you look at wha other parks will be doing with the very same IP.

Goofyernmost

Of course the ride is not a step down, from a technical standpoint, from the original. In fact, when working properly it spits all over it. And yes my disdain from the location of Frozen Ever After is because it truly deserves more than what it was given. Its laughable that one of the most successful Disney films of all time was thrown into a closet. If you actually took an initiative and read my thoughts on the ride from opening day you will, in fact, see that I gave WDI kudos for making the best of an asinine situation. Do I think its a home run? No. Do I think they'll rip it out in the future, obviously not. And, no, I will not stop my "undermining" critiques of FEA. When Disney stops settling with mediocre additions, I'll start enjoying a pixie dust joint more frequently. Until then, the snooty judgement will continue.
It's not that I don't agree with you to some extent, it is the way in which all of us, myself included, determine what is mediocre and what isn't. Holding a grudge because Disney decided that they would do what they wanted with something that they own and as such, can be the only ones that define what something should be or shouldn't be. World Showcase was dying, it had to be turned into a "get drunk around the world showcase" to survive. Yet, we want it to stay the way that it was until it is boarded up and left to rot like so many other theme parks. Case in point, DHS, has required emergency, maybe to late, surgery to keep it from becoming just another River Country. Something had to be done to revitalize WS. Perhaps Frozen was just what was needed to bring families back to what has become a sad, alcohol based place to go. I don't know if it is the answer or not, but, the idea that every IP deserves it's own "land" is a complete imaginary dream concept. It isn't going to happen. In the meantime, regardless of whether or not, we feel that it lives up to our personal expectations, they did a pretty impressive job in the process to breath oxygen back into the area.

Back in the 60's and 70's and 80's Worlds Fairs were a huge thing. Cities invested millions and millions of dollars to finance huge showcases where people could explore thing that are only a click away on our personal computers now. They became obsolete. Can you tell me where the next Worlds Fair is going to be held? You don't even hear about any of them anymore. They are no longer currently something that the public will be drawn too. We all have fond memories of the 1982 original WS, heck I even have fond memories of my 1970 Buick Skylark, but, my current car makes that one look like a little red wagon, technologically. Nothing last forever, Frozen will not last forever. What the next big thing will be is still unimagined, but, change it will and unless we can take it for what it is and not what we would like it to be, we will drive ourselves crazy and deprive ourselves of something the might also provide memories if we are willing to give it a chance.
Lets start form the begining. @AJH219 stated how people celebrate the mediocrity of this ride, and if your honest with yourself, it is in fact mediocre. Thats not saying its a bad ride, just mediocre by certain standards of imagineering. Your response was a comparison of MAlestorm vs FEA. I was only asking why you wouldnt consider FEA mediocre when comparing it to what other parks are doing with the IP. While FEA may be a nice ride, that doesnt excuse the fact that it is not their best, or even half best attmept at an attraction for the largest grossing animated film ever, especially considering the operational/capacity issues. So why would you NOT compare it to "something" in Japan, and that very "something" being a completely better version of what we are discussing? Comparing FEA to Maelstrom is a weak argument when you look at wha other parks will be doing with the very same IP.
I wouldn't consider something in Japan because it is totally irrelevant to the discussion. The circumstances involved with Japan and Epcot are different. There are even financial situations that Disney didn't control, but, took advantage off. I don't care what there is in Japan. I'm not in Japan. The last time I was there was in 1970 and I have no intention of going back during the rest of my lifetime. It's like being upset because your neighbor has a new Cadillac and all you have is a Chevy Vega. We were talking about Epcot and specifically what is currently residing in the Norway Pavilion. If Frozen is mediocre, what would we call Maelstrom that was built during the supposed golden era of Disney? I have no desire to compare it to something that I can't have, but, I can judge whether or not it is better then what we had, and it surely is.

Last edited:

SoccerMickey

What Tokyo WAS projected to have was going to be stunning but they scrapped the Scandanavian expansion in favor of Soarin' going to the Mediterranean Harbor, and Tokyo Disneyland getting a Beauty & the Beast ride plus a Big Hero 6 ride in Tomorrowland. Sadly, Frozen won't be part of this next expansion of the Tokyo parks.

If one simply compares FEA against what Tokyo is projected to have....then yes, mediocrity is definitely the correct word. I don't see where in @AJH219 post mentioning FEA vs Maelstrom. So why did you make that comparison? Does FEA have some more advanced AA's than Maelstrom? Of course. But does that make it WDI's best possible effort? Again.....see Tokyo plans. And yes, Tokyo isn't exactly operated by TWDC so no need to sight that. It actually is embarassing that they do a better job in most areas than WDW.
What

Crazydisneyfanluke

What Tokyo WAS projected to have was going to be stunning but they scrapped the Scandanavian expansion in favor of Soarin' going to the Mediterranean Harbor, and Tokyo Disneyland getting a Beauty & the Beast ride plus a Big Hero 6 ride in Tomorrowland. Sadly, Frozen won't be part of this next expansion of the Tokyo parks.

What
Wait. Someone said (Cant remember who it was a while back) that Soarin was an ADDITION to the Scandinavian expansion.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I brought this up awhile back too, if they weren't going to paint them etc they could have at least given them a good cleaning, I dont think they were touched at all.
The mold and dirt was *magical !!!! They wouldnt dare wash it off. They will most likley bottle it and sell it as nostlagia to fanbois who never visited Epcot prior to 2008. You know, the same ones who wear Horizons t-shirts but werent even born when it was torn down.

Last edited:

Sped2424

What
Incorrect. The scandinavian port is very much alive and coming albeit later than projected.

NearTheEars

Well, after finally getting to ride it, about an hour and a half after breakdown, I can say I was fairly pleased.
As it's been said before, the AAs are truly awesome.

The backward portion is lacking theming. It's OK at first, but then essentially turns into a dark hallway. If any corners were cut with this redo, this was it.

It's nice that the ride is longer now, and I was a pleasantly surprised that there was a finale scene after the former oil rig room. I hadn't watched any ride videos in order to avoid spoilers, so I didn't really expect it.

Did I learn anything about Norway? No.
Did I enjoy it? Yes.
Do I still miss Maelstrom? Very much.
Did this IP deserve an expansion in a different park? Absolutely.
Did I hear a guy explaining to his wife that Frozen took over the former Sweden ride? Unfortunately yes.

P.S. The meet and greet expansion was beautifully done.

AndyMagic

If there is one thing Frozen Ever After proves its that the classic Disney dark-ride formula not only still works but that even in 2016, it can still charm and impress riders. I hate where the ride is located. I hate that the capacity is terrible. I hate that Imagineering was hampered by an existing ride system and layout. But I think it's safe to say that the ride itself is a return to form. All the talented people who made the best lemonade imaginable out of a pile of rotten lemons deserve heaps of praise and free reign to design their next ride with zero constraints.

None of this changes the fact that this ride should have never been built in Epcot with these kind of capacity constraints but it gives me hope that when Iger and some other toxic management eventually exit stage left (or fall into a trap door "Turn Off the Dark" style), we'll have a lot of quality product to look forward to.

gmajew

Premium Member
If there is one thing Frozen Ever After proves its that the classic Disney dark-ride formula not only still works but that even in 2016, it can still charm and impress riders. I hate where the ride is located. I hate that the capacity is terrible. I hate that Imagineering was hampered by an existing ride system and layout. But I think it's safe to say that the ride itself is a return to form. All the talented people who made the best lemonade imaginable out of a pile of rotten lemons deserve heaps of praise and free reign to design their next ride with zero constraints.

None of this changes the fact that this ride should have never been built in Epcot with these kind of capacity constraints but it gives me hope that when Iger and some other toxic management eventually exit stage left (or fall into a trap door "Turn Off the Dark" style), we'll have a lot of quality product to look forward to.

Perfectly said like so many others on here have stated.. The ride is well well done... Best dark ride in ages! Those that worked on it did great with the budget and location they were given.

Just wrong park and wrong location.

AndyMagic

Perfectly said like so many others on here have stated.. The ride is well well done... Best dark ride in ages! Those that worked on it did great with the budget and location they were given.

Just wrong park and wrong location.

I'd say it's the best "Fantasyland-style" dark ride built stateside in ages. Without that qualifier in there, you'd be putting it up against the likes of Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts which are both obviously a different breed of dark ride on a colossally different scale. I have a hunch Forbidden Journey will hold the title of best dark ride for quite a while much like Indiana Jones did for nearly 2 decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom