Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

I think this was posted in The Spirited Back Nine, but is still an interesting read.
Stitch's Great Escape: Ten Years - Passport 2 Dreams
If there is one thing Disney is more than capable of doing, it is killing a cultural phenomenon through mismanagement. Even if the popularity is sustained, that does not mean that an attraction cannot be a dud that fans ultimately just ignore. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland is rather widely panned and is typically a walk on. It was built quick and cheap because the franchise is, similar to Frozen, a merchandise gold mine and anything was expected to draw a crowd.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think this was posted in The Spirited Back Nine, but is still an interesting read.
Stitch's Great Escape: Ten Years - Passport 2 Dreams
If there is one thing Disney is more than capable of doing, it is killing a cultural phenomenon through mismanagement. Even if the popularity is sustained, that does not mean that an attraction cannot be a dud that fans ultimately just ignore. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland is rather widely panned and is typically a walk on. It was built quick and cheap because the franchise is, similar to Frozen, a merchandise gold mine and anything was expected to draw a crowd.
"If you are upset about the removal of Maelstrom in Epcot in favor of Frozen, then you will know this story well: a unique, deeply strange thing goes away, due to be replaced with the Disney Flavor of the Day. And in 2003, that flavor was Stitch."

Best quote of the story.

PhotoDave219

"If you are upset about the removal of Maelstrom in Epcot in favor of Frozen, then you will know this story well: a unique, deeply strange thing goes away, due to be replaced with the Disney Flavor of the Day. And in 2003, that flavor was Stitch."

Best quote of the story.

#SkippyLives.

I miss Alien Encounter. It was truely a scare the bejeezus out of you attraction. But it was done soooooo well.

Of course, thats an era gone by. Before the snowflakes took over.

Mike S

#SkippyLives.

I miss Alien Encounter. It was truely a scare the bejeezus out of you attraction. But it was done soooooo well.

Of course, thats an era gone by. Before the snowflakes took over.
Couldn't get myself to do it when it was open, I was too scared :oops: Now I regret it.

Siren

Original Poster
lol, I love when people have to resort to this dumb fallacy a la "If you dont like, dont look".
Wow, out of this entire thread of some 300+ posts -- you are the only one here who has had to resort to calling someone's opinion "a dumb fallacy." I suppose there always has to be a first, so you must be so proud.

@Gig 'Em Mickey is such a class act to me, I just *love* how he doesn't have to stoop to such low levels to convey some dumb point -- and he knows how to interject the perfect amount of levity to lighten the mood & put a smile on everyone's face. I just wanna talk to him all day long.

Dumb fallacy? LOL, I live by this. I don't waste my time with things that I don't like. If I don't like it, I won't go. I don't like you either. Ignored.

To everyone else who engaged in this amazing discussion, thank you so much for setting a perfect example of what it means to engage in civil discourse. Yes, it has gotten heated at times and not everyone sees "eye to eye" on everything but I can say that everyone has been respectful to each other for the most part and that's so awesome to me.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Best quote of the story.

What's even more interesting is that people who DO NOT ride Stitch rate the park more highly than those that DO so it drags down all the other rides as well, It will be interesting to see whether the FROZEN ride does the same at EPCOT.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Just call it institutional inertial, Disney has a problem with synchronizing marketing campaigns across the different business units as each has its own associated lead times. They don't want to risk too much exposure for something that might not be well received by committing to a full run of 300,000 units of "X" toy based on the unproven franchise, or a new ride whose theming is unfamiliar because so few saw the associated movie.

Lots of people saw and lived/loved Frozen so they can put elements of it in the parks as events, attractions, and merchandise without much risk. This makes sense to the bean counters,.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just call it institutional inertial, Disney has a problem with synchronizing marketing campaigns across the different business units as each has its own associated lead times. They don't want to risk too much exposure for something that might not be well received by committing to a full run of 300,000 units of "X" toy based on the unproven franchise, or a new ride whose theming is unfamiliar because so few saw the associated movie.

Lots of people saw and lived/loved Frozen so they can put elements of it in the parks as events, attractions, and merchandise without much risk. This makes sense to the bean counters,.

It has to do with TWDC being a bunch of risk averse beancounters who only want 'sure things', Back in the Eisner days they DID have synchronized marketing toys and in-park tie ins, Go BIG at the launch and scale down if you needed to.

Since TWDC is no longer a creative company but rather an IP holding company they have no faith in their homegrown products and it shows by their disjointed marketing programs.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It'll take a few year before the turtles stick their heads out from their shells.. The 9/11 and 2008 drop offs in attendance caught them with their pants down. Frozen was a safe bet as it requires no significant investment in facilities or staffing.

Foam core Olafs, Foam Snow , re-skinning anamitronics from trolls to Ice Monsters ...voila Arendelle

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It'll take a few year before the turtles stick their heads out from their shells.. The 9/11 and 2008 drop offs in attendance caught them with their pants down. Frozen was a safe bet as it requires no significant investment in facilities or staffing.

Foam core Olafs, Foam Snow , re-skinning anamitronics from trolls to Ice Monsters ...voila Arendelle

There were attendance drops before then but back then TWDC was a creative company who took calculated risks, Todays TWDC is IP holding company run by accountants who only want 'sure things' so they BUY successful IP instead of creating it as they did in the past.

Kman101

How is an ice castle a good fit for Disney's Hollywood Studios? In it's current form, absolutely not. Frozen included in the makeover of the park and it becoming themed lands to the movies/entertainment (Star Wars, Pixar/Toy Story, Animation, Music?) I'd be down with that. But now? In it's current form? No. How is it a better fit for DHS than Epcot? Because it's a movie with Disney characters? I love Epcot and World Showcase and Frozen is NOT my choice for the place, and honestly, World Showcase needs help the LEAST, but I can see why they went with Epcot over DHS. I agree with that. Sorry if people don't like that opinion. I know I'll get jumped for daring to be ok with characters in World Showcase but is it more because it's Frozen or is it because it's really about characters being in the World Showcase? And can we stop acting like Maelstrom was this amazing ride? It was a mess. It was a trippy fun little ride, and that doesn't mean I *want* Frozen to replace it, but it doesn't mean I can't see why they chose to do it. I'd prefer a Maelstrom re-do. They could have used the trolls from the Frozen movie and built a new ride around them. It seemed from the one little piece of concept art for a Maelstrom redo it just seemed to be more centered around the trolls.

I don't think we can assume anything about the ride until it opens. Just because it's only being worked on for what, a year? Doesn't mean anything. My first instinct doesn't give me much hope for it, but I'd hope they know they have to do this as right as they can. But this is also the same company that will always take the cheap way out if possible. Like the mine train. Instead of a middle common ground we get the cheapest. We'll see.

Kman101

Exactly. We know why they made this decision. All you have to do is imagine the ride and voila, you can almost pinpoint exactly where show scenes will go and what will be replaced. They took the quick and easy way out. In the case of Frozen, I can't say I blame them, but it doesn't make it the right call.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This is like Mr Toad's Wild Ride all over again :banghead:
EXACTLY!!! Mr. Toad and Malestrom were both great, but MTWD's replacement, a.k.a Pooh Bear, in my opinion, is garbage! On a posotive note, Test Track will have no line:p

RSoxNo1

It sucks because it really wasn't the only choice other than MK. DHS would've been a good fit too. Star Wars, Pixar, and Frozen. Attendance would've exploded almost overnight.
It would have been overkill at DHS though. Epcot is in rough shape and there weren't obvious choices for the park like there were for DHS. Personally, I think Epcot could have been done piecemeal though allowing for more options. If given the choice, I would have started pouring money into an Imagination overhaul before I even thought about doing anything in Norway. Imagination can be closed at the same time as Soarin' without a major problem - there was talk of doing that anyways.

RSoxNo1

How is an ice castle a good fit for Disney's Hollywood Studios? In it's current form, absolutely not. Frozen included in the makeover of the park and it becoming themed lands to the movies/entertainment (Star Wars, Pixar/Toy Story, Animation, Music?) I'd be down with that. But now? In it's current form? No. How is it a better fit for DHS than Epcot? Because it's a movie with Disney characters? I love Epcot and World Showcase and Frozen is NOT my choice for the place, and honestly, World Showcase needs help the LEAST, but I can see why they went with Epcot over DHS. I agree with that. Sorry if people don't like that opinion. I know I'll get jumped for daring to be ok with characters in World Showcase but is it more because it's Frozen or is it because it's really about characters being in the World Showcase? And can we stop acting like Maelstrom was this amazing ride? It was a mess. It was a trippy fun little ride, and that doesn't mean I *want* Frozen to replace it, but it doesn't mean I can't see why they chose to do it. I'd prefer a Maelstrom re-do. They could have used the trolls from the Frozen movie and built a new ride around them. It seemed from the one little piece of concept art for a Maelstrom redo it just seemed to be more centered around the trolls.

I don't think we can assume anything about the ride until it opens. Just because it's only being worked on for what, a year? Doesn't mean anything. My first instinct doesn't give me much hope for it, but I'd hope they know they have to do this as right as they can. But this is also the same company that will always take the cheap way out if possible. Like the mine train. Instead of a middle common ground we get the cheapest. We'll see.
It's a fit only because the park is going to be undergoing a major overhaul. I could easily see them defend putting all CGI properties in that park for example.

RSoxNo1

EXACTLY!!! Mr. Toad and Malestrom were both great, but MTWD's replacement, a.k.a Pooh Bear, in my opinion, is garbage! On a posotive note, Test Track will have no line:p
I would expect Test Track to have the #2 line in the park for the foreseeable future. Soarin' is opening with increased capacity but Test Track's capacity will be staying the same.

Cesar R M

I'm pretty sure that the people trying to avoid the frozen crap, will be either running wild to TT or SOARIN'

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The only problem with this is that the financial geniuses.... and I use that term loosely… That run this company will automatically expect this response for whatever property comes out down the wine. What they neglected to realize is that this is one of those cold troll moments that only happens once in a generation. Maybe once every 20 years.cit's on the same level of a paradigm shift as nirvana's nevermind in 1991 that completely upset the music industry. And that shift only lasted until 94/95.

I remember wearing my 'Nevermind' t shirt to school and my teacher freaking out because of the babys little ding dong showing. LMAO. good times!

Part of me wants to trust the Disney "financial geniuses" because maybe they know something we dont. Cant blame them one bit for all the events they keep spewing out. The other part of me believes you are exactly right as far as this movie being one those "once every 20 years" type hits. Theyre long term plans are where I start to scratch my head. If the Maelstrom layover is the 'big one' then thats just a shame. And for the love of God, please dont anyone take that as an attempt to save Maelstrom. Its not about MAelstrom, never has been (for me at least).

I think they very well could continue to make this movie spin gold for them for years to come. It seems like thats what theyre hoping to do with Avatar, but not Frozen, and Frozen is insanely more popular and has a better market for merchandise. Why have a long term strategy for a more risky franchise (Avatar) but shake the golden goose of Frozen until its dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom