Free 'in-room' wireless internet starting at most Walt Disney World Resorts today

Disaddict

Those are decent numbers. We shall see if they hold ones news of this gets out and every smart phone in WDW is pulling off it.

I know what you mean about the smartphones, and I'm not arguing that they won't do it. They probably will. But why? If they have 3G or 4G why connect to the (possibly slower) WDW wifi with the phone?

llrain

ya know what i just thought of too....
What if they are only doing this free wireless just beacuse Gartner is there this week...and we are all blowing this out of proportion thinking its a permanant thing?
Or is it just a coinicidence that they rolled it out the same weekend Gartner arrives to take over Disney
For those who do not know..Gartner is very large, prob the largest conference on disney campus that trends in the IT world......see the connection?
All these years Gartner has been down there and the business people had like zero internet in their rooms when they prob needed it and now Disney is catering to this demand...

Mansion Butler

I know what you mean about the smartphones, and I'm not arguing that they won't do it. They probably will. But why? If they have 3G or 4G why connect to the (possibly slower) WDW wifi with the phone?
To not use up your data.

If I want to watch a baseball game on my phone, and there's WiFi avaiilable that can handle it, I'm going to use the WiFi and lower the risk of having to pay for overage at the end of the month.

Disaddict

To not use up your data.

If I want to watch a baseball game on my phone, and there's WiFi avaiilable that can handle it, I'm going to use the WiFi and lower the risk of having to pay for overage at the end of the month.

Oh. I hadn't thought about that. I don't have to worry about that since I refused to allow ATT to switch me to the crappy 2GB service. I still have unlimited and use it to download and watch tv shows and movies all the time. I suppose it would be nice to use it for that, though not at Disney. :) Like previous posters have said, if you're at Disney there shouldn't be anything that you need to do on your cell that would take a long time or for this example, a lot of data. I'm not going to sit on my phone watching movies while at Disney. :) But I do see your point. Fair enough. And yeah, I can see a serious drain on the system if a lot of smartphones are connecting to it. But once you move from one WAP to another wouldn't you get disconnected and have to reconnect again?

bugsbunny

No love for the Values? No free wifi, but sure to to be first to get rfid mugs! I certainly see the ”value”. ;)

As far as staying of site and luring me back, it's going to take more than free wifi. I just tether with my phone since I have unlimited data with Sprint. But I really don't see wifi ad a deal maker since the rooms are still way overpriced. I can get free wifi at a Days Inn! And free fresh brewed coffee :ROFLOL:

Clever Name

Really? You really spend your time making snap judgements about others' quality of life based upon their cell phone habits?

If you ever see me walking up Main Street, sending a text to my wife/kids/friends, please don't bother feeling sorry for me. I really don't feel any less of a person for taking those 10 seconds to text or Tweet.

People texting on their cell phones while driving pose a danger to everyone. People texting on their cell phones while walking are often so oblivious to their immediate surroundings that they cause pedestrian traffic jams in crowded areas such as Main Street. Sit down on a bench and text. :wave:

mattfusf

ya know what i just thought of too....
What if they are only doing this free wireless just beacuse Gartner is there this week...and we are all blowing this out of proportion thinking its a permanant thing?
Or is it just a coinicidence that they rolled it out the same weekend Gartner arrives to take over Disney

I was wondering about that, too. Gartner usually provides free WiFi for attendees in the conference areas (S&D, Yacht Club convention center) and in the past it has been pretty reliable.

I'm hoping this new announcement from Disney was made with the knowledge that a few thousand IT people are going to load test it for them this week :)

Matt

trr1

IF they are going to use the same infrastructure as the swan and dolphin does I think that the service will be very reliable...
I think that they would use this infrastructure...or allready have it in place if the Swan and Dolphin are still connected to the disney infrastructre...
That may have broken off when disney sold the 2 resorts...though

http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus_CaseStudy_Disney-Dolphin-Hotel.pdf

I dont think disney ever owned these two resorts

found here
The Swan, which opened January 13, 1990 on Disney property, is not owned by the Walt Disney Company, but is instead owned by Tishman Hotel Corporation and operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide under the Westin brand.

koryadams

Yes!!! Both resorts I am staying at in April will have it!!! Please have Bay Lake Tower by next December!

No more going to lobby for wifi!!!!!

This made my next vacation! More to look froward to!

Hobbes130

I can't use my 3G in the US as I am from the UK and the costs involved in using it our ridiculous. There have been horror stories of people returning from holiday with £1000 phone bills!! So we turn off data roaming and don't risk it but with the new free wifi then we will be able to make use of some of the fantastic disney aps that are out there. It will also be good for our kids to use back in the room - as DVC members we always had internet but it was wired so we only had it on our laptop. Had been planning on taking an airport express with us next trip but it is nice to know we wont have to now.

rbrower

Yes!!! Both resorts I am staying at in April will have it!!! Please have Bay Lake Tower by next December!

No more going to lobby for wifi!!!!!

This made my next vacation! More to look froward to!

Bay Lake Tower has it already, actually. I'm using it right now. :cool: It just isn't listed out separately from the Contemporary. :)

lt94

Has anyone tryed to connect from the kingdom around the space mountin area as that is the closest to the contemp. maybe!

go3epcot

Any idea whether All Star Movies will get it? I would love to be able to post my pics the day I take them next time we go.

Leading a student group which is staying at All Star Sports in early December... wondering if there is any chance that we may be enjoying the free wifi there by then? Any news or rumors?

Pioneer Hall

Leading a student group which is staying at All Star Sports in early December... wondering if there is any chance that we may be enjoying the free wifi there by then? Any news or rumors?

My guess is that in time all the resorts will have it (and quite possibly the parks). I think that the first concern was getting it to the deluxe and convention resorts, and then they can worry about the values and moderates.

Scuttle

To not use up your data.

Ya if you don't have unlimited data then it's impossible to watch games or videos without being on wifi. You will burn through your data so quick.

Disaddict

On a side note here....

Those that have unlimited data usage should not allow their carrier to change you to the useless 2GB plan if you call to make some minor addition or change to your policy, like adding messaging or something. ATT tried to do that and I did not authorize them to make the change so I ended up with a huge bill from them one month and I called, made them change it back since I did not authorize it, and they removed the charges. Don't allow your carrier to switch you if you did not say it was okay. If they originally offered the Unlimited to you and that was your plan then they can't simply change it without asking you first. It is a breach of contract and you can go elsewhere without the early termination fee applying.

mickeysshoes

I'll be the lone dissenter. There's no such thing as a free lunch, especially with Disney. I'd rather those who need this or think they need it be paying for it, rather than everyone pay for it. And we WILL pay for it, either by virtue of a rate increase, or by Disney allocating money towards this as opposed to another upgrade.

People will find anything to complain about, right? ;)

Here here....I agree.

lt94

like the above stated . Maybe people who stay off property should pay more for tickets than we who stay on property
LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom