Free 'in-room' wireless internet starting at most Walt Disney World Resorts today

Clever Name

This is where we begin seeing shifts from immersion in the disney enviornment to everyone walking around with Ipads bumping into people
cause they arent paying attention....
I am glad they did this and Wdwfigment is right, we will pay for it
but now that I think about this possible seperation from enjoying disney
maybe I dont like it.
The only reason i bring my laptop is for listening to music at night in the room and checking my checking balance to make sure im not overspending.
I really cant see and refuse to sit in a lobby on the internet when there is so much other stimulation going on around me.
I even leave my cell phone in the room just to ferget while im there. Heck, i wish i didn't even have to bring my laptop.

This is already a problem with smart phones. It's hard to walk anywhere on WDW property and not see people with their heads down focused on thier phones as they text. I find to be funny and sad too. :wave:

the-reason14

This is already a problem with smart phones. It's hard to walk anywhere on WDW property and not see people with their heads down focused on thier phones as they text. I find to be funny and sad too. :wave:

Honestly, who cares. If that's how they want to spend their vacation then so be it. If you personally don't then don't use them and enjoy all the theming and stuff. People stuck on their 'tech' isn't gonna affect me one way or the other.

WDWfanboy

Very cool-we had free wireless at the Contemporary when we were there in June(we got upgraded to a suite from a standard room-still don't know how!) which came with free wireless. It zipped along nicely.

As for people walking around with their heads in their phones and tablets while on vacation-I pity them. They don't know how to sit back and enjoy themselves and to disconnect from the world, which is what I always thought vacations(particularly at WDW) are all about. C'est la vie!

tjkraz

I'll be the lone dissenter. There's no such thing as a free lunch, especially with Disney. I'd rather those who need this or think they need it be paying for it, rather than everyone pay for it. And we WILL pay for it, either by virtue of a rate increase, or by Disney allocating money towards this as opposed to another upgrade.

People will find anything to complain about, right? ;)

A couple things:

In the grand scheme of things, Disney may be making greater use of technology such that it necessitates offering a minimum of service at hotels. There has been talk of paperless FastPasses. The new ADR policy places greater importance on cancelling unneeded reservations and opens the door to more last minute booking successes.

While many people have smartphones with 3G data plans, providing free wifi opens up the door to using many more portable devices during a Disney vacation (iPod Touch, iPad, Kindle, other tablets, etc.)

From a financial perspective this could be a way to help boost hotel occupancy and continue to move away from the discounting. Internet charges are undoubtedly one factor which lead people to off-site resorts. If free wifi helps keep sway them to on-site hotels, so much the better for Disney's bottom line.

Lower discounts would result in a net price increase but offering something for "free" is a time tested way of getting consumers' attention (see "free dining.")

Really? You really spend your time making snap judgements about others' quality of life based upon their cell phone habits?

If you ever see me walking up Main Street, sending a text to my wife/kids/friends, please don't bother feeling sorry for me. I really don't feel any less of a person for taking those 10 seconds to text or Tweet.

mrsdanalind

Honestly, who cares. If that's how they want to spend their vacation then so be it. If you personally don't then don't use them and enjoy all the theming and stuff. People stuck on their 'tech' isn't gonna affect me one way or the other.

I'll tell ya, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to leave my laptop at home, and not be in contact unless it's an emergency, in which case my old cell with no wifi or net ability is great for me. I will have class work to catch up on when I get back.. but you know what it'll be there when I get home, and I don't want my disney dream disrupted by reality. :D
:lol::eek:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes numbers please. Download the Speedtest app and run a test for us.

I don't believe this is going to be very fast or as good as people hope in the rooms. When Marriott switched from wired to wireless their speeds tanked and there were a great many dead zones in rooms. One place I go to the network is only accessible if you sit in a certain spot next to the window.

FWIW, when I was using the wired internet at SSR last week my Speedtest results were around 500kbps download (0.5mbps). My 3G Mifi from Sprint gave better service (1mbps).
Speeds like that border on useless. Email and general surfing would be crawling at best. Science help you if you try to upload photos.

Disaddict

Speeds like that border on useless. Email and general surfing would be crawling at best. Science help you if you try to upload photos.

I stopped by the GF last year (horrible experience but not for the wifi. whole other story) and piggybacked on the wifi there and it was pretty fast. Hopefully that pp was connecting during a bad time while they were having issues. :shrug: If it is that speed all the time for all the newly added places I agree, it will be little better than useless.

rbrower

Alright, just ran the speed test while sitting on my bed in BLT. Here are the results:

Download: 8.21 Mbps
Upload: 2.33 Mbps
Ping: 139 ms

WDWFigment

A couple things:

In the grand scheme of things, Disney may be making greater use of technology such that it necessitates offering a minimum of service at hotels. There has been talk of paperless FastPasses. The new ADR policy places greater importance on cancelling unneeded reservations and opens the door to more last minute booking successes.

While many people have smartphones with 3G data plans, providing free wifi opens up the door to using many more portable devices during a Disney vacation (iPod Touch, iPad, Kindle, other tablets, etc.)

From a financial perspective this could be a way to help boost hotel occupancy and continue to move away from the discounting. Internet charges are undoubtedly one factor which lead people to off-site resorts. If free wifi helps keep sway them to on-site hotels, so much the better for Disney's bottom line.

Lower discounts would result in a net price increase but offering something for "free" is a time tested way of getting consumers' attention (see "free dining.")

Excellent points. If it does lure a sufficient number of people to stay on property to recoup its cost, I'm fine with it.

I'll take your first point one step further: what if Disney itself will need a more robust WiFi system for the NextGen program (some of what I've heard is coming certainly will require it in both parks and resorts), and this is a load-test of sorts?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
WooHoo. I am very very happy about this. It'll be nice to be able to use my Ipad with out burning through my entire 2gb.

The speed posted above is not bad either.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Alright, just ran the speed test while sitting on my bed in BLT. Here are the results:

Download: 8.21 Mbps
Upload: 2.33 Mbps
Ping: 139 ms
Those are decent numbers. We shall see if they hold ones news of this gets out and every smart phone in WDW is pulling off it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom