Fireworks Testing at EPCOT?

disneyonmymind

Original Poster
Multiple reports on twitter of fireworks testing throughout the night last night at EPCOT. Screamscape is also reporting multiple large balloons in the air around the same time period. Anyone have any clue as to what this is about?

djkidkaz

Rumor has it that Illuminations is getting alot of changes in the future. No more globe and more fireworks.

hpyhnt 1000

Rumor has it that Illuminations is getting alot of changes in the future. No more globe and more fireworks.

Yep. Not a whole lot out there right now, but rumor (Screamscape I might add, so add salt as necessary) says that the Earth Globe will be retired and the show will return to more of a cultural showcase of each pavilion. And more pyro as well.

jt04

Yep. Not a whole lot out there right now, but rumor (Screamscape I might add, so add salt as necessary) says that the Earth Globe will be retired and the show will return to more of a cultural showcase of each pavilion. And more pyro as well.

I wouldn't miss the earth globe. Not because it isn't cool because it is. But the scale is off for such a large stage and it isn't as visually stunning as it should be just because of the distance away. However in a different location it could be a lot more magical I think.

hpyhnt 1000

If they are just testing fireworks right now I would say easily a year away?

You would think that, but Epcot frequently tests fireworks for various reasons. No guarantee that any of this pyro testing is for a new show. While the balloons are an interesting tidbit i wouldnt count on a new show within a year

maxairmike

I do know that a supplier recently backed out of making certain pyro for Disney, but I'm not sure if that was only Wishes pyro. The only thing that doesn't sound like supplier testing is the balloons.

J03Y

aww. i liked the globe :( but i mean, the show doesn't deal that much with the other lands, just lasers and such. i guess we need to sacrifice somethings to get others.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I do know that a supplier recently backed out of making certain pyro for Disney, but I'm not sure if that was only Wishes pyro. The only thing that doesn't sound like supplier testing is the balloons.
Any details about the balloons? Did this actually happen, or is it just someone making stuff up on Twitter.

maxairmike

Any details about the balloons? Did this actually happen, or is it just someone making stuff up on Twitter.

I have no clue about the balloons being true or not, those were not mentioned to me by the person who told me about the supplier change. Also, the discussion was specifically about Wishes pyro, although I wouldn't be surprised if the supplier also did Illuminations pyro.

Does anyone know if they use height balloon tests for fireworks? Given that these are fairly low fireworks might they be using them to test the height of the shots to compare between the two suppliers? I don't know nearly as much about the pyro as I do about what goes on in Operations. I'll see if I can find out more.

Redsky89

This is awesome news! If it's true I can't wait to see the end product. The globe is cool but whatever they do to fill it's spot I'm sure will be top notch. You can't always see the globe anyway depending on where you are for Illuminations.

vinnya1726

Illuminations is a great show, but as others have said could use some changes. Would love to see them add more laser lights and some of the elements from World of Color in the Lagoon.

LudwigVonDrake

They typically test new product from new suppliers. This is reasonably frequent, and has happened dozens of times over the last 10 years. No guarantees at all that this is related to a new show.

Do they usually test fireworks in a park after hours with hotels nearby?

EpcotFanForever

If they are just testing fireworks right now I would say easily a year away?
I recall staying near EPCOT about a year before ROE began, and they would test a planned opening sequence for the show each morning at about 6AM. Think of the accelerating drumbeat at the beginning of the show - only done with explosions. It was impressive - and loud - and ultimately dropped from the show. My recollection is that it actually set off some car alarms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom