February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

No Name

The real impact of all this will be when it applies to multi-day tickets. Just another dimension to throw into the trip planning algorithms.

I don't know if I'm totally understanding what you're saying so let me know me if that's the case, but...

I'm guessing that, for multi-day tickets, if any one of the days you plan to visit is a higher-priced day than the others, you have to pay that higher price for all of your days. Basically each ticket level allows you to go on those type of days or lower ones. For example, if I plan to visit for 7 days, and 2 of them are regular-priced while the other 5 are value-priced, I will still have to pay the regular price for all days of the trip. We don't know what that multi-day price will be yet or when multi-day will become tiered. But when it does, there will be three tiers of pricing for multi-day tickets correlating to the three tiers for single-day tickets.

That's the way it was described on the survey some people got last may and I see no other way it would work.

Last edited:

AshaNeOmah

Adding this to Multi-day tickets would be a logistical nightmare, wouldn't it?

1. Trips that span two periods?
2. Guests using a lower tier ticket on a higher tier day. Turn them down at the gate?

I could see them going to a points system. Price the ticket per point. Park entrance takes away a number of points per day. Park hopping in the same day removes another point for the first hop, other hops are included. Water park entrance takes away another number of points.

ParentsOf4

Introduced in 2005, the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket created a less expensive way to visit Walt Disney World (WDW) by offering “base” tickets. For those content to visit one theme park per day, MYW made longer WDW vacations the most affordable they had been in more than a decade.

Since then, price increases have far outpaced income across all income levels:

MYW 2015.jpg

As a result of these increases, relative to income, today’s base MYW tickets are more expensive than the benefits-rich Hopper Plus tickets of 2004.

Tomorrow's new ticket prices are sure to widen this gap. I'll update the chart once all prices are announced.

note2001

Introduced in 2005, the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket created a less expensive way to visit Walt Disney World (WDW) by offering “base” tickets. For those content to visit one theme park per day, MYW made longer WDW vacations the most affordable they had been in more than a decade.

View attachment 132612

As a result of these increases, relative to income, today’s base MYW tickets are more expensive than the benefits-rich Hopper Plus tickets of 2004.

Tomorrow's new ticket prices are sure to widen this gap. I'll update the chart once all prices are announced.

While entertaining, the comparison to median household income on that chart really doesn't mean much to most folks. There are good years and bad years, bonuses, no bonuses, layoffs, retirement... yada yada.

What I would find interesting is: Are the rising costs of Disney's passes keeping up with the ever rising healthcare costs? My bet: only, just barely.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know if I'm totally understanding what you're saying so let me know me if that's the case, but...

I'm guessing that, for multi-day tickets, if any one of the days you plan to visit is a higher-priced day than the others, you have to pay that higher price for all of your days. Basically each ticket level allows you to go on those type of days or lower ones. For example, if I plan to visit for 7 days, and 2 of them are regular-priced while the other 5 are value-priced, I will still have to pay the regular price for all days of the trip. We don't know what that multi-day price will be yet or when multi-day will become tiered. But when it does, there will be three tiers of pricing for multi-day tickets correlating to the three tiers for single-day tickets.

That's the way it was described on the survey some people got last may and I see no other way it would work.
I was just referring to the fact that adding in seasonal pricing adds another dimension to people's planning difficulties. Single day tickets tend to be bought last minute, or by people just visiting spur of the moment, so I don't see tomorrows changes to 1 day tickets have a huge impact on the majority of people that visit this site. When it applies to multi-day, it will affect nearly everyone here.

ParentsOf4

While entertaining, the comparison to median household income on that chart really doesn't mean much to most folks.
Please note that the chart also compares ticket prices to those families earning at the 80th and 95th percentile.

In a nutshell, unless you are a 1-percenter, WDW prices have far outpaced your income.

Whether Disney is targeting the top 50% top 20%, or top 5%, WDW is entertainment for the masses and must be cognizant of what is happening to income.

NearTheEars

View attachment 132612

Your thoughts on this graph from the NYT article. I think both you and @WDW1974 would disagree.

"Disney tends to increase ticket prices once a year — recently, at well above the rate of inflation — and it always prompts a degree of consumer outrage. But in pure economic terms, Disney’s price increases have been modest considering the soaring demand, analysts say."

Goofyernmost

Wait, I'm confused... So the tiered ticket is only happening, at the moment, to single day tickets? If so, what the hell is all the fuss about. Also, thinking along that line, how would it be possible to charge multi-day tickets to include altered price. You buy it this year and perhaps use it next year. They can't come back and charge you more at that point. My guess is that it is just a way for Disney to make more money on the single day guests. The others they have captive for multiple days and will extract money, above ticket price, merely by the fact that multi-day holders will be there longer, eating more and buying more, plus probably using the resort hotels more.

Or perhaps we just panic for the sake of panicing! If they knew how to charge that way for multi-day tickets you can bet that they would have done that now, not later. Not that it think it's good that they have gone up on single day stuff, but, I can guarantee you that it will not affect me at all. I'm not driving 600 miles for one day. Neither are most of you, so it is about Florida residents that don't have AP's or people passing through with just one day to spare that will be hit with the higher "tier" charges. Big damn deal!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Your thoughts on this graph from the NYT article. I think both you and @WDW1974 would disagree.

"Disney tends to increase ticket prices once a year — recently, at well above the rate of inflation — and it always prompts a degree of consumer outrage. But in pure economic terms, Disney’s price increases have been modest considering the soaring demand, analysts say."
Yup, they have been outraged to the point of packing the parks. I guess they are showing Disney what for! And for heavens sake would people stop trying to use "rate of inflation" as a comparison point... it is not subject to or even counted in inflation figures. Find another reason to be concerned, please.

Kristamouse

Other than, "because they can", why? Spread crowds from peak to off peak in an effort to have flatline attendance?
To give us something to gripe about?
If all about the profit then why not an across the board price hike?

Cesar R M

@tissandtully:
I don't understand how a bus is deemed safer than an Uber driver who has passed a background check and has high ratings. You can even spring a little more for the UberXL which is a larger vehicle if that's what you're worried about. If anything Uber drivers should be more worried about passengers.

I wonder the same. I used Uber and had very good service.
And it was extremely cheap compared to those MEARS taxis..

Cesar R M

$114 for DHS and Epcot?! Yikes :eek:
I know right?

I still think there is an explanation of these price increases only for 1 day tickets.
1 day attendees are harder to predicts than people who have bought the 5 day tickets or higher.
So these 1 day attendees are encouraged to f*** off while the parks are busy.
So pretty sure this is yet another way to control crowds and "balance" the workforce of Disney in each park.

So you combine the predictions of fastpass + dinner reservations + the number of tickets day in the system. And you get statistics of when and how the parks will be busy.
You cant really control the 1 day ticket ones.
So when they detect huge loads based on the fp+dinner+multitickets+reservations.. they jack up the price for 1 day attendees to "crowd control".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom