FastPass+ open to all guests at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot next week

GymLeaderPhil

In my phone conversation with Guest Relations yesterday on this specific topic I was told they do not have a schedule to commit for Passholders and also that non-resort-guest, non-passholders would be going active first, before they do anything with passholders.
And that may well be the case since everything about MyMagic+ is changing by the minute, but I have physically seen the MagicBand that denotes the user is an Annual Passholder as well as the gold RF plastic media card. It is happening soon and I don't have any more information than that.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Here's a random question. Are they stalling the Passholder rollout until Flower & Garden Festival opens in early March, so they can use Odyssey at EC, just like they did for the RFID admission media conversion last year?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here's a random question. Are they stalling the Passholder rollout until Flower & Garden Festival opens in early March, so they can use Odyssey at EC, just like they did for the RFID admission media conversion last year?

But what would they need the onsite presence for? What would you do in person?

tissandtully

In my phone conversation with Guest Relations yesterday on this specific topic I was told they do not have a schedule to commit for Passholders and also that non-resort-guest, non-passholders would be going active before they do anything with pass holders.

The reality is they've been saying "they're coming soon" since April of last year and have provided no updates since then. The website still has that same April, 2013 information on it despite the fact that they never delivered on the commitment.
Yeaaah, GR isn't in the know. It's like asking an Apple employee when the new iPhone will come out.

71jason

But what would they need the onsite presence for? What would you do in person?

Trade in your existing AP card for a wristband--to avoid a flood of non-active AP cards that could still be used for free parking (barring parking attendants taking the time to scan each AP).

asianway

They could use Odyssey now if they wanted to

Rob562

Trade in your existing AP card for a wristband--to avoid a flood of non-active AP cards that could still be used for free parking (barring parking attendants taking the time to scan each AP).

But since the Bands would presumably have to be personalized with names inside them, I would think that all of the AP Bands would have to be mailed from the off-site company that's been handling them.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

In my phone conversation with Guest Relations yesterday on this specific topic I was told they do not have a schedule to commit for Passholders and also that non-resort-guest, non-passholders would be going active before they do anything with pass holders.

The reality is they've been saying "they're coming soon" since April of last year and have provided no updates since then. The website still has that same April, 2013 information on it despite the fact that they never delivered on the commitment.
As an annual passholder who won't be staying in a resort, why do you feel you need a MagicBand? The only feature you're probably going to use is touch to enter and Fastpass+, which your plastic AP ticket will do anyway.

donsullivan

Premium Member
As an annual passholder who won't be staying in a resort, why do you feel you need a MagicBand? The only feature you're probably going to use is touch to enter and Fastpass+, which your plastic AP ticket will do anyway.

I don't want the band. All I'm looking for is for them to allow access to FP+ advance reservation and at least right now, Disney has linked those two things. I completely understand that the band is just a different physical access media that unto itself offers no other privileges

ParentsOf4

A year ago, Disney mentioned unique "MagicBand only" experiences such as some meet-and-greets along with interactive elements on some rides. During an interview (I think) this summer, Tom Staggs specifically mentioned It's A Small World as an example.

Additional "MagicBand only" experiences were envisioned but schedule and budget overruns have put these on hold.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm not following... why would you trade in your AP card? it's already RFID enabled. For non-active AP cards, they will wean themselves out due to expiration dates and the already changed style of the cards.

71jason

I'm not following... why would you trade in your AP card? it's already RFID enabled. For non-active AP cards, they will wean themselves out due to expiration dates and the already changed style of the cards.

Most parking attendants just wave you through if you flash the AP card. That all changed for like a month last year when a couple thousand (?) unactivated cards went missing--all the sudden they had to swipe cards and check ID. I don't see Disney wanting every AP to have a "free parking" card they can give to their non-AP friends for the next 11 months.

Just realized you may be asking why would APs turn in a perfectly servicable RFID card for a wristband the first day they become available? To which all I can say is, clearly you don't live in a town surrounded by fanbois. AP wristbands will fly out faster than Jingle Cruise posters.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most parking attendants just wave you through if you flash the AP card. That all changed for like a month last year when a couple thousand (?) unactivated cards went missing--all the sudden they had to swipe cards and check ID. I don't see Disney wanting every AP to have a "free parking" card they can give to their non-AP friends for the next 11 months.

But I don't see how a wristband makes checking for AP parking any easier? Unless they plan on using RFID at range? Visually the AP cards need to be easier to check than bands...

Unless Disney switches the design and forces trade-ins... or they do RFID at range.. I'm not seeing why they would to force people to trade in APs again.

Ok, I remember them saying they were going to offer the bands to the APs (due to the different replacement fees).. but I'm wondering what value they are actually going to give to an AP user.

APs are going to be quite different..
- you don't have a hotel charge account to link.. so Disney would have to offer direct CC billing
- no hotel key card obviously
- Disney has a history of forcing card/ID checks for discounts.. so unless they start offering discounts based on the band alone...
- tracking of course.. but that doesn't really add value for the AP holder themselves yet

Lots of potential uses for APs... but where the program is it seems rather non-useful for APs IMO.

JimboJones123

Yet there are still some people saying that issues like this are not related to FP+ being added. lol. They blame it on CM laziness. What a load of cr*p

Fastpass return time is covered at TSM. Strange decision since FP+ users will still be using return times.

Attachments

• 20140121_094948.jpg
    20140121_094948.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 68

kapeman

Unless you assume we all are going to continue going to WDW. Apparently you haven't read that a lot of us are at our breaking points.

There's no question I'm taking a year off from WDW after my pass runs out.

That's where we are. We have made multiple trips per year and have had several annual passes since 2007. Our last trip was in May of 2013 and we do not have any immediate plans to go back to the World.

This summer we will be in Central Florida, but we will be visiting the Wizard's place.

Don't know when we will be back.

CaptainShortty

Anyone else find it odd that Maelstrom is included in the same Tier as Soarin', TT, RoE & Character Spot?

Could that possibly be a preemptive move in anticipation of crowds for a Frozen attraction?

Just a thought. :)

My guess is more for capacity sake they need another attraction in tier 1. Just my thoughts.

Rob562

Fastpass return time is covered at TSM. Strange decision since FP+ users will still be using return times.

Maybe they're redoing the sign to say "FastPass+" (and hopefully removing the old remnant of where the sign also used to say "Single Rider" that my eye tends to focus on every time I walk by there)

-Rob

JimboJones123

[quotis the "Rob562, post: 5898844, member: 13585"]Maybe they're redoing the sign to say "FastPass+" (and hopefully removing the old remnant of where the sign also used to say "Single Rider" that my eye tends to focus on every time I walk by there)

-Rob[/quote]
If so, why not be prepared?

Sorry to nitpick, just another indication that things are an organizational mess.

But, this is the most coveted FP at WDW after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom