Expedition Everest effects status watch

Black Pearl

But having it as the ONLY pin screams "the yeti is the only thing this forum really strongly cares about!!!" Again, it downplays the importance of anything else brought up on here. There are so many other threads with things that could ACTUALLY BE REPORTED that deserve to be stickied MUCH more than "The steam was/wasn't working. The yeti wasn't. Man I wish it was." Repeat x 7 years.

Other have started threads for other attractions, and I even tried to start one for Test Track 2, you know, the attraction that has been open for 8 months with it's main feature still not fully working. But nobody cared, because it wasn't stickied.

The pin is the only thing keeping the yeti standing upright at this point. Once it goes, it'll be just the strobe light, some rocks, and a CM making shadow puppets of a dog if we're lucky.

thelookingglass

A while back in this thread, there was discussion about all the trees along the track being cut down. I was bored and looking at Google Maps, and with the new 45* angle feature, you can see the difference:

http://goo.gl/maps/8uhwC

That should bring you to a west view, an older image. Rotate the image to a south view using the compass, and you see that most of the trees are gone. That is how it looks now.

SJN1279

Everest has more problems that a faulty Yeti. It has no apparent storyline, it lacks a soundtrack, and the first show scene on the track switch is abysmal. I always felt Joe R. was overrated, and Everest is a testament to that.

The ride needs a complete update and makeover ASAP!!!

Bairstow

Everest has more problems that a faulty Yeti. It has no apparent storyline, it lacks a soundtrack, and the first show scene on the track switch is abysmal. I always felt Joe R. was overrated, and Everest is a testament to that.

I rather like the lack of a narrative structure in Everest.
It's a return to the classical school of scenario-based attractions like Mansion and Pirates rather than the done-to-death "You're on a tour... BUT THEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!!" story used by nearly every-single attraction of the Eisner era.
Not sure if a soundtrack is appropriate either given both the loud noise the "train" makes and the fact that they assembled such an awesome ambient BGM loop for the queue.

Tom Morrow

What's so bad about the broken track scene? I'd say that there could be more animation (not bird-on-a-stick), but for first time riders who don't know the ride goes backwards, its pretty effective. You're left wondering "what's going to happen?" for a few moments.

I do agree that it could use some updates and additions (besides a working yeti). For instance, it can't be that hard to cover up being able to see into the mountain during the backwards section. They could even add some lighting effects in there or something. The exterior portions could have actual themed sets to look at (another village, campsites, etc) instead of just plants. It used to at least be a bamboo jungle, but isn't anymore...

I rather like the lack of a narrative structure in Everest.
It's a return to the classical school of scenario-based attractions like Mansion and Pirates rather than the done-to-death "You're on a tour... BUT THEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!!" story used by nearly every-single attraction of the Eisner era.
Not sure if a soundtrack is appropriate either given both the loud noise the "train" makes and the fact that they assembled such an awesome ambient BGM loop for the queue.
Well, actually, that kind of is the storyline, heh. But it isn't crammed down your throat. I agree that the lack of a forced narrative is an appealing aspect of Everest. The story is there if you want to look into it, but if not, then all you need to know is there's a Yeti, and he doesn't like you.

I've listened to the BGM, and its great, but you can barely hear it in the queue.

BoarderPhreak

I wouldn't go so far as to say EE has no storyline... Perhaps it's not so obvious or in your face as some attractions (especially those tied in with movies or characters) - they build the story as you move through the queue. The expeditions, the highly detailed theming(!), all the things in the office and showcase(s). You know it's an expedition, you know there's a possibility of meeting up with a Yeti... EE is the cornerstone of practically the entire Asia section of the park.

Black Pearl

I wouldn't go so far as to say EE has no storyline... Perhaps it's not so obvious or in your face as some attractions (especially those tied in with movies or characters) - they build the story as you move through the queue. The expeditions, the highly detailed theming(!), all the things in the office and showcase(s). You know it's an expedition, you know there's a possibility of meeting up with a Yeti... EE is the cornerstone of practically the entire Asia section of the park.

I like how said "possibility". I've been pretty fortunate on that ride and haven't been attacked by the yeti yet, but have seen some strange disco statues.

Turtle

I think that once the Avatar e-ticket opens up, Everest will have enough time to breathe and get a good refurbishment.

But as of now, if the only big ride in the park closes, havoc will break loose!

thelookingglass

Also, to add to my last post, there's a good, new POV on Youtube that shows the difference in trees/vegetation when you compare it to the same user's older video.

- A few days ago (POV at 2:27)

- two years ago (POV at 1:51)

thelookingglass

Yeah, it's a roller coaster that eventually goes backwards. That's never been done before :rolleyes:

It's been done before on incomplete circuit coasters, like Boomerangs, or by literally turning the trains around, but Everest, I believe, was only beat out by Revenge of the Mummy for being a complete circuit coaster that goes backwards for part of it via track switches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom