EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

Figment82

So I finally got iLife '09 for my computer, and decided to play around with the new iPhoto. And what better way to break it in than by creating a slideshow that has been promised for over 2 years!

I present to you... Wand Destruction 2007

Mind you, this is only from 1 of 4 angles, I hope to get around to creating the other 3 soon. I hope you enjoy! :)

EPCOT Explorer

So I finally got iLife '09 for my computer, and decided to play around with the new iPhoto. And what better way to break it in than by creating a slideshow that has been promised for over 2 years!

Mind you, this is only from 1 of 4 angles, I hope to get around to creating the other 3 soon. I hope you enjoy! :)
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Fantastic! :D That was so much fun to watch...:lol:

jeffb

Les Chefs De France 1983

4116685801_af8827a262_o.jpg

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Great new additons...man i can't beleive this thread is still going after all this time! Thanks to everyone for keeping it alive with new photos and some fab art.

Funny i should see this up at the top of the list today. This morning as i was sipping out of my retro EPCOT Center mug i was thinking back to when the Disney Organization was first starting to get plans together for the Park. They really did take a major risk building it....all those old photos above of the pre-construction models hit it home and remind me of what i was thinking about earlier today.

It is truly amazing that EPCOT was built to begin with when i think back to what Disney was doing back then. All the Ol' Imagineers had a hand in it ( John Hench, Marty, Tony, etc..) and it was built to be a completely different experience from the Magic Kingdom and DisneyLand...man it blows the mind they took risks like that back then! Today everyone is so busy trying to 'play it safe' and overuse/overexpose concepts that are ' already proven to work' ...it makes me very glad EPCOT was built when it was. If such a massive project was undertaken today, it would be a totally different entity and maybe not for the better.

Can you imagine a EPCOT built in the late 90s? None of the often named 'classic attractions' would have exsisted. Oh sure we would probably have alternatives and thus THEY would be classed as Classics today maybe...but the whole scope would be lopsided i think. I like my late 70's EPCOT Center straight up...!

Have you ever stopped to think about how DIFFERENT your life would be now if you had never visited 'EPCOT Center' back in the day? Or rode JII..or Horizons? Sometimes i think about it, and wow...for me it would be a very different Today. Those attractions, and the Park as a whole back then, were built to INSPIRE and AWE you. They were not mere shallow amusements or mindless thrills. No, they were EPIC. GRAND. INSPIRING...there's that word again! I really came away from my first visits truly blown away. I will never forget it.

When one stops and really takes a look at what the folks at 'Walt Disney Productions' accomplished by taking on this huge project, it truly is inspiring. I think that part of EPCOT's history also contributes to why it is my favorite Park. The fact is was SO enveloping and huge in scope...with nothing to prove it would 'work' with the public...but they built it and made a place many here have admired and been inspired by. Visiting EPCOT back in the day left one inspired..yes that is the best word. When you visited, and experienced the attractions back then, and took in the overall feel and tone of the enviroment..you could NOT come away feeling otherwise IMO. It really gave you a feeling of self-empowerment. It made you realize that YOU have a say in the future, and can make a difference in Tomorrows World. A lot of folks find EPCOT 'boring'...or too 'educational'...etc....but i think they were missing the real message. It is still there, though a little harder to see sometimes.

I love EPCOT. Can't wait to be back 'home' soon.

EPCOT Explorer

Great new additons...man i can't beleive this thread is still going after all this time! Thanks to everyone for keeping it alive with new photos and some fab art.

Funny i should see this up at the top of the list today. This morning as i was sipping out of my retro EPCOT Center mug i was thinking back to when the Disney Organization was first starting to get plans together for the Park. They really did take a major risk building it....all those old photos above of the pre-construction models hit it home and remind me of what i was thinking about earlier today.

It is truly amazing that EPCOT was built to begin with when i think back to what Disney was doing back then. All the Ol' Imagineers had a hand in it ( John Hench, Marty, Tony, etc..) and it was built to be a completely different experience from the Magic Kingdom and DisneyLand...man it blows the mind they took risks like that back then! Today everyone is so busy trying to 'play it safe' and overuse/overexpose concepts that are ' already proven to work' ...it makes me very glad EPCOT was built when it was. If such a massive project was undertaken today, it would be a totally different entity and maybe not for the better.

Can you imagine a EPCOT built in the late 90s? None of the often named 'classic attractions' would have exsisted. Oh sure we would probably have alternatives and thus THEY would be classed as Classics today maybe...but the whole scope would be lopsided i think. I like my late 70's EPCOT Center straight up...!

Have you ever stopped to think about how DIFFERENT your life would be now if you had never visited 'EPCOT Center' back in the day? Or rode JII..or Horizons? Sometimes i think about it, and wow...for me it would be a very different Today.

When one stops and really takes a look at what the folks at 'Walt Disney Productions' accomplished by taking on this huge project, it truly is inspiring. I think that part of EPCOT's history also contributes to why it is my favorite Park. The fact is was SO enveloping and huge in scope...with nothing to prove it would 'work' with the public...but they built it and made a place many here have admired and been inspired by. Visiting EPCOT back in the day left one inspired..yes that is the best word. When you visited, and experienced the attractions back then, and took in the overall feel and tone of the enviroment..you could NOT come away feeling otherwise IMO. It really gave you a feeling of self-empowerment. It made you realize that YOU have a say in the future, and can make a difference in Tomorrows World. A lot of folks find EPCOT 'boring'...or too 'educational'...etc....but i think they were missing the real message. It is still there, though a little harder to see sometimes.

Soooo well said. :) EPCOT Center forever! It really was, and still is a inspiring place!

WDW Vacationer

I really enjoyed it!
LOVE the elevation of the E.P.C.O.T. Tower. That would make one awesome hotel...:lookaroun

I made some concept art once..

jeffb

Have you ever stopped to think about how DIFFERENT your life would be now if you had never visited 'EPCOT Center' back in the day? Or rode JII..or Horizons? Sometimes i think about it, and wow...for me it would be a very different Today. Those attractions, and the Park as a whole back then, were built to INSPIRE and AWE you. They were not mere shallow amusements or mindless thrills. No, they were EPIC. GRAND. INSPIRING...there's that word again! I really came away from my first visits truly blown away. I will never forget it.

Jen - very well said! I completely agree - had EPCOT not been conceived and opened prior to 1984 it would be incredibly less grand. I look to the Florida park that was built after EPCOT, the half day MGM studios. If there was no Universal Studios, perhaps the GMR would have been a FW pavilion after all.

EPCOT Explorer

Jen - very well said! I completely agree - had EPCOT not been conceived and opened prior to 1984 it would be incredibly less grand. I look to the Florida park that was built after EPCOT, the half day MGM studios. If there was no Universal Studios, perhaps the GMR would have been a FW pavilion after all.
Thank Goodness that never came true.:dazzle::lol:

Where is the Future in THAT concept, is beyond me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom