News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Earlie the Pearlie

I don't either, but this piece of concept art is rather quiet doable (and cheap-ish). With the exception of the facades, most of the land is being reused and repained essentially.
I don't hate that. Look at Bayou Adventure! When you reskin existing infrastructure more budget is left over for better show scenes and especially advanced animatronics. Between what Disney is doing and what Uni is doing, I think we're on the brink of an animatronic golden age.

Luigi

Professor Angus Starbuckhas discovered a dinosaur bone in the Gobi Desert. But unlike other discoveries, this bone isn't ancient! As Indy crosses from China through a treacherous mountain pass to Outer Mongolia, he runs afoul of the region's fiercest warlords. Meanwhile, the world's last innocent people, dwelling in a Stone Age paradise, are poised on the brink of destruction. Suddenly Indiana Jones is dueling wild dogs and bloodthirsty killers in a desperate effort to save the most historic discovery of the twentieth century: the last living Triceratops.”

This is the premise of an actual Indiana Jones book so it wouldn’t be hard to see how they could make an IJ dinosaur attraction work.
Let me throw this at you too...
The Chicxulub crater, which is believed to have destroyed the dinosaurs is in the Yucatán Peninsula, which some say influenced the mythology of the indigenous Mayan of that region, blaming the crater on their Rain God.
(This is very Wiki research, please forgive)

This could be very cool storyline, if they follow that train of thought...

(The last Indy movie involved Time Travel too...)

JustInTime

Already have flame tree bbq at AK tho
It’s not even close to the same food! Bengal is grilled meats on skewers and it’s amazing. VERY different from American BBQ. Bengal style food would be great near Indy. It’s just not quite South American and more Asian.

IMG_1422.png

Sir_Cliff

The Santa Cecilia in Coco is not meant to be Santa Cecilia Acatitlan, as fas as I'm aware. They just chose the name because Cecilia is the patron saint of music. The towns they based the appearance on are farther north near Mexico City.
From what I understand, it is supposed to be based on Santa Fe de la Laguna which is up in the highlands of the state of Michoacán in a zone that is very much not tropical (it certainly gets very cold at night during winter around that part of the world!).

Still, I think they can fudge it a little. As I mentioned above, if it's based on Alebrijes, they're not originally from that part of Mexico anyway and are now made and sold all over the place. I even think a restaurant with a Coco-theme isn't that big of an issue: after all, Ernesto de la Cruz was famous all over Mexico and Héctor also toured the country in their early days, so there is a loophole that allows for some Coco-theming outside of Santa Cecilia!

FettFan

View attachment 777240
Image of the temple mock-up. No forbidden eye. No crystal skull. There is something at the top though. Looks like a beast with a huge open mouth... and ears.

The beast is apparently a Jaguar.

This seems a clear inspiration. Disney has taken it and elongated it. I'd say the beast in the Disney version looks different. More like a snake or crocodile... or dinosaur. But in case they are going with Jaguars:

Either way, if this is the design, I love it. It is very distinct looking.

It looks distinctly like Reign of Kong Skull Island at Universal, only less spiky and with a roaring jaguar replacing the roaring gorilla.

IMG_7550.jpeg

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
View attachment 777240
Image of the temple mock-up. No forbidden eye. No crystal skull. There is something at the top though. Looks like a beast with a huge open mouth... and ears.

But in the concept art it's red. Seems odd.

View attachment 777243

Googling "Myan Red Temple" led to this:

View attachment 777241

Looks the same. It's called Rosalila Temple:

The beast is apparently a Jaguar.

This seems a clear inspiration. Disney has taken it and elongated it. I'd say the beast in the Disney version looks different. More like a snake or crocodile... or dinosaur. But in case they are going with Jaguars:

Either way, if this is the design, I love it. It is very distinct looking.
Great find. Well done!

britain

I’m still holding out hope that Coco takes over El Rio de Tiempo someday. A minor carousel in AK will do fine for now.

FettFan

I’m still holding out hope that Coco takes over El Rio de Tiempo someday. A minor carousel in AK will do fine for now.

I’d much prefer a second Coco attraction built onto the Mexico pavilion, so that El Rio/Gran Fiesta can be the relaxing time-spender while folks wait for their Coco VQ’s/LL’s.

There’s a good size pad of land directly behind Norway’s Royal Summerhaus…looks like a parking area and a couple of office buildings.

Coco deserves a AAA attraction, not just a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom