News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

sedati

1712303663058.png

Image of the temple mock-up. No forbidden eye. No crystal skull. There is something at the top though. Looks like a beast with a huge open mouth... and ears.

But in the concept art it's red. Seems odd.

1712304906139.png

Googling "Myan Red Temple" led to this:

1712303952755.png

Looks the same. It's called Rosalila Temple:

The beast is apparently a Jaguar.

This seems a clear inspiration. Disney has taken it and elongated it. I'd say the beast in the Disney version looks different. More like a snake or crocodile... or dinosaur. But in case they are going with Jaguars:

Either way, if this is the design, I love it. It is very distinct looking.

Last edited:

Bleed0range

View attachment 777240
Image of the temple mock-up. No forbidden eye. No crystal skull. There is something at the top though. Looks like a beast with a huge open mouth... and ears.

View attachment 777243

View attachment 777241

This seems a clear inspiration. Disney has taken it and elongated it. I'd say the beast in the Disney version looks different. More like a snake or crocodile... or dinosaur. But in case they are going with Jaguars:

Amazing find. I read this in the wiki article you linked and it sounds like a promising premise…

Often depicted on these artifacts are the gods the Maya revered and it is no coincidence that these gods often have jaguar attributes. As stated earlier, the jaguar is said to have the ability to cross between worlds, and for the Maya daytime and nighttime represented two different worlds. The living and the earth are associated with the day, and the spirit world and the ancestors are associated with the night. As the jaguar is quite at home in the nighttime, the jaguar is believed to be part of the underworld; thus, "Maya gods with jaguar attributes or garments are underworld gods" (Benson 1998:64). One such god is Xbalanque, one of the Maya Hero Twins who descended to the underworld, and whose entire body is covered with patches of jaguar skin. Another is God L, who is "the primary lord of the underworld" and often is shown with a jaguar ear or jaguar attire, and atop a jaguar throne (Benson 1998: 64-65). “

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Sad to lose the good parts of Dinoland but honestly what we're getting is going to be absolutely amazing. This concept is much better than what was initially teased before. The last two visits I've had to WDW have left me feeling inspired and hopeful for the future of the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Did Santa Cecilia look tropical to you? Not all of Mexico is part of Tropical America. I also think the ride deserves a lot more than a spinner and it’s just an odd choice if a better Coco ride is being considered elsewhere.

EDIT: wait, is Santa Cecilia a real place?

EDIT 2: Yes it is and it’s in a tropical climate. I stand corrected although I must say it really did not look tropical in the film at all. And my other points still stand.
Perhaps we can think of the small Coco part of the new land as a gateway to the tropical areas? If you're going to drive to Central America, you have to go through all of Mexico!

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Friendly reminder: This thread is for Tropical America, the DAK refresh of Dinoland.

For your Beyond Big Mountain MK expansion, go here:

It is confusing since there was talk of Coco being in both, and maybe Encanto in both. But for now what we know is...

DAK - Indy refresh, Encanto dark ride, a carousel likely to be Coco (for now).

MK - no solid info of what mishmash of IPs. Disney may not even know for sure at this stage.

ToTBellHop

View attachment 777240

View attachment 777243

View attachment 777241

Now you’re getting somewhere. I think the Indy concept they’ve landed on sounds really cool. It has Rohde’s intellectual fingerprints on it.

Sir_Cliff

Perhaps we can think of the small Coco part of the new land as a gateway to the tropical areas? If you're going to drive to Central America, you have to go through all of Mexico!

;)
I don't think Coco not technically being set in a tropical part of Mexico is going to cause that much dissonance for visitors. If it's an alebrije carousel, for example, they originated in the state of Oaxaca, some of which is tropical at least!

They don't seem to have built a replica of Santa Cecilia at any rate. The archway reminds me a lot of the arches you see a lot in the Mexican Yucatán around the old entrances to the cities, as do the architecture and colours. In particular, it seems to take some inspiration from Mérida:

1712321086067.png

1712321342552.png

1712321541420.png

I don't think a Coco-themed carousel tucked behind some of these buildings is really going to break the theme.

999th Happy Haunt

View attachment 777240

View attachment 777243

View attachment 777241

Damn, I wish Dinosaur wasn’t going anywhere but this is cool. Great work!

James Alucobond

EDIT: wait, is Santa Cecilia a real place?

EDIT 2: Yes it is and it’s in a tropical climate. I stand corrected although I must say it really did not look tropical in the film at all. And my other points still stand.
The Santa Cecilia in Coco is not meant to be Santa Cecilia Acatitlan, as fas as I'm aware. They just chose the name because Cecilia is the patron saint of music. The towns they based the appearance on are farther north near Mexico City.

KDM31091

I fee like if Cinderella (as the original Disney classic) came out today and they said they were going to put something dedicated to the movie in Magic Kingdom, a lot of you would complain because "new IP".
It’s not even that. Some IP is fine and makes sense. It’s just the parks are becoming more and more similar; they just throw IP wherever they feel like it whether it makes sense or not. And it’s also obnoxious that every single new project seems to be IP related. There should be a balance with some original stories.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Sad to lose the good parts of Dinoland but honestly what we're getting is going to be absolutely amazing. This concept is much better than what was initially teased before. The last two visits I've had to WDW have left me feeling inspired and hopeful for the future of the parks.
personally I don't put much stock in concept art... the end result never turns out like that based on history

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom