News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Starship824

In the Parks
No
The "novelty" of omnimovers has long worn off, but it's still a good ride system. I see nothing wrong with trackless ride systems. There are very limited number of truly unique ride systems so they are always going to get re-used.
I don't think it's the ride system that's the problem, to me it seems like all the current trackless rides just feel very similar.

discos

There’s loads of problems with trackless:
- Warehouse like design with less intimate sets
- No elevation changes unless elevators are introduced (which cause several breakdowns)
- Issues with the LPS that cause a ton of downtime

Rise of the Resistance is proof that if you do anything slightly complex (or “Disney level norm”, if you will) you run into a ton of issues. It deterred Universal from using the system for the Potter MoM ride.
The warehouse design with less intimate sets is just how Disney builds their trackless rides. Over at Efteling, Symbolica is their trackless ride, but never do you feel like you're in a warehouse. Every single scene had animatronics, physical sets, and faux ceilings to create the illusion you were actually in these different rooms.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There’s loads of problems with trackless:
- Warehouse like design with less intimate sets
- No elevation changes unless elevators are introduced (which cause several breakdowns)
- Issues with the LPS that cause a ton of downtime

Rise of the Resistance is proof that if you do anything slightly complex (or “Disney level norm”, if you will) you run into a ton of issues. It deterred Universal from using the system for the Potter MoM ride.

There is nothing about trackless that requires "warehouse design"
I will give you elevation changes, but that is case of choosing the right ride system for each case.
Is LPS really a problem? I know Rise has lots of problems but I have not heard of similar issues with Rat or Runaway Railway.

lazyboy97o

Ministry of Magic moved away from trackless vehicles well before Rise of the Resistance opened, had its own creative development issues and intentionally moved to an even more complex ride system.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
The warehouse design with less intimate sets is just how Disney builds their trackless rides. Over at Efteling, Symbolica is their trackless ride, but never do you feel like you're in a warehouse. Every single scene had animatronics, physical sets, and faux ceilings to create the illusion you were actually in these different rooms.
Let's not forgot BATB at TDL.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The "novelty" of omnimovers has long worn off, but it's still a good ride system. I see nothing wrong with trackless ride systems. There are very limited number of truly unique ride systems so they are always going to get re-used.
I think the novelty has worn off, because we've been conditioned to expect that unless a new attraction has thrills and/or cutting edge tech it's not worthy. Not every attraction needs to be that way. A well themed omnimover with a good story can have great potential and serve as a massive crowd eater.

But does an "old fashioned" omnimover mesh with a G+ or ILL world where new things need to be able to be monetized?
I don't think it's the ride system that's the problem, to me it seems like all the current trackless rides just feel very similar.
ROTR, RAT, MMRR are probably what you're referring to. Two are very well done, the other not so much. The reason isn't the ride tech, it's the story and theming.

lazyboy97o

Symbolica is not a true trackless ride like Rise of the Resistance or Ratatouille. It uses a guide wire system like the Great Movie Ride used.

Brer Oswald

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, absolutely baffled that the lion king doesn’t have an actual attraction ANYWHERE (at least not yet). Especially in the park that has woven the movie into its DNA.
That would be the one IP based attraction to get me excited for any of this. Of course, as an ADDITION to the parks. Not a replacement or retheme of anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom