News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

James Alucobond

I struggle to accept that they will actually make it easier to get between Springs and DHS/Epcot, anyway. They choose to not make it easy now.
Disney Springs is often an entirely different subset of guests anyway. From the perspective of the average guest experience, a Coronado Springs/Blizzard Beach/All Star/Animal Kingdom + Lodge spur seems way more valuable.

PREMiERdrum

The Skyliner seems to have helped Caribbean Beach's overall ratings with our users.
It also allowed them to push rack rates at CB from the bottom of the moderate category to the top.

Actually the "reimagining" of CB was supposed to usher in the end of relying on Value/Moderate/Deluxe categories, instead focusing strictly on resort areas with a portfolio of options in each. Thankfully that plan got scuttled before it was off the ground.

UNCgolf

The Skyliner seems to have helped Caribbean Beach's overall ratings with our users.

CBR used to be the lowest-rated moderate in WDW, with a guest satisfaction rating of around 80 out of 100 (on our scale). Here's the current ratings for WDW moderates:
  1. Port Orleans French Quarter = 84 points
  2. Coronado Springs & Gran Destino = 83 points
  3. Caribbean Beach = 82 points
  4. Port Orleans Riverside = 81 points
The confidence intervals on those are pretty tight, given the number of surveys.

My guess is the Skyliner is worth all of those extra two points, maybe more. But the resort still has fundamental issues with its spread-out design, especially for food and bus transportation, which is why it's often the cheapest moderate available.

That's an interesting list, because for me Riverside is significantly better than Coronado Springs or CBR. I'd be willing to pay $50 (or more) extra per night to stay at POR over the other two -- I don't think they're even close to being at the same level. Disney still charges more for Riverside/FQ too, although maybe they just don't want to break up the pricing between those two.

Have you heard anything else regarding Skyliner expansion? I think Martin indicated at one point that they'd decided against expanding it, beyond maybe one or two additional spots along the existing routes (which would include the DS spot you mention).

That makes sense to me, as I think there are too many downsides -- if they're going to spend additional money on transportation, there are other, better options with fewer issues -- but I'm curious.

UNCgolf

It also allowed them to push rack rates at CB from the bottom of the moderate category to the top.

Actually the "reimagining" of CB was supposed to usher in the end of relying on Value/Moderate/Deluxe categories, instead focusing strictly on resort areas with a portfolio of options in each. Thankfully that plan got scuttled before it was off the ground.

Riverside/FQ still have the highest rack rates among moderates, at least for most dates (unless the posted rack rates on mousesavers.com are wrong).

lentesta

Premium Member
Have you heard anything else regarding Skyliner expansion? I think Martin indicated at one point that they'd decided against expanding it, beyond maybe one or two additional spots along the existing routes (which would include the DS spot you mention).

The second phase was put off because of cost. I don't remember the exact number for Skyliner Phase 1, but it was considerably more than what a typical resort/town would've paid for the same equipment over the same distance.

UNCgolf

The second phase was put off because of cost. I don't remember the exact number for Skyliner Phase 1, but it was considerably more than what a typical resort/town would've paid for the same equipment over the same distance.

That's what I was thinking -- the cost is too high for what they get out of it. People obviously enjoy it, but it's probably too slow to work over some of the longer distances required for resort wide travel, and the fact it can't operate in wind or storms is a major problem in Florida. It doesn't really even allow them to cut back on buses (at least in terms of ones kept in reserve), so they can't be saving too much in other areas.

MagicHappens1971

That's what I was thinking -- the cost is too high for what they get out of it. People obviously enjoy it, but it's probably too slow to work over some of the longer distances required for resort wide travel, and the fact it can't operate in wind or storms is a major problem in Florida. It doesn't really even allow them to cut back on buses (at least in terms of ones kept in reserve), so they can't be saving too much in other areas.
I feel like they have cut down on busses pretty considerably for the properties the Skyliner services. I’d assume they always have a handful (if not more) bus drivers on “call/reserve” for if they need to add more busses for service, etc.

UNCgolf

I feel like they have cut down on busses pretty considerably for the properties the Skyliner services. I’d assume they always have a handful (if not more) bus drivers on “call/reserve” for if they need to add more busses for service, etc.

They definitely don't run them as often, but if they expanded the Skyliner significantly they'd still have to keep a full bus fleet and drivers in reserve because of the somewhat regular downtime, especially in the spring/summer. Obviously any form of transit can go down, but the Skyliner is much more likely to be down than something like light rail because of weather problems.

They definitely don't want a situation where the Skyliner is down for 4 hours in the afternoon because of thunderstorms and they have people waiting 90 minutes to get on a bus because there aren't enough.

doctornick

We know that Disney has considered a different type of transportation for the AKL/DAK -> BB or Coronado? ->DHS or Crescent Lake? area per insiders. (Not sure what locations were expected outside of DAK)

Is anyone willing to indicate what what being considered and if it is still on the table for the future? I tend to think light rail, but who knows.

Chef idea Mickey`=

But everyone from Pop and AoA has to go through CBR on the Skyliner now. So that’s really something like 6500 rooms going through the CBR station. Building a secondary hub seems needlessly confusing. Plus the extra line from Hourglass Lake would be longer than it’d be from CBR and presumably have to go right over a main pool area. That would look awful to sunbathers.
Are you mentioning this be the outcome if a new transfer hub was made wherever it is to connect to Disney Spring's?

Indy_UK

I'm sorry but when it comes to popular franchises for kids Frozen, Cars and Baymax should not be only in some places and others not. WDW doesn't have to have Cars Land but Radiator Springs Racers alone deserves to be here just like Ratatouille came but they kept Remy's Restaurant exclusive for DLP. Even I can agree that Disneyland should have Frozen Ever After too!

I bet you would say no to Cars: Road Trip like we have in Paris though? 😂

I think DLP management would have said no if they had a choice

Chef idea Mickey`=

I struggle to accept that they will actually make it easier to get between Springs and DHS/Epcot, anyway. They choose to not make it easy now.
It's interesting that they don't run their long double connected bases at all to Disney Spring's.. is the turn too small? At least they went fixing the three All star resorts having now their own bus than just one. The most rooms and packing ppl like sardines for a long ride standing up is unacceptable and dangerous. I don't understand the concept of their most expensive resorts like Grand Floridian has to share with Polynesian. Boardwalk, Yaht and Beach have to share for Disney Spring's but not Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

Are we talking about the same ride?

They kept it afar Catastrophe Canyon to add capacity but for the end result you can blame Tom Fitzgerald.

It’s truly awful
I watched a video run through of it and was excited thought it be cute..but it was a bit boring.. kind cheap for a Disney ride. It's not like the cars were talking and moving their faces. no

_caleb

I visited Animal Kingdom yesterday and got a survey today asking about my experience. Only notable questions were asking about the value of Genie+ at the park, available attractions/shows, opinion of animal experiences, and Flight of passage.
And what were your answers?

_caleb

I complained that Genie+ wasn’t terribly worth it for Animal kingdom and encouraged them to build more attractions and not simply replace existing attractions. I gave rave reviews for my animal friends. I said I didn’t ride flight of passage since lightning lane was sold out and line was too long.
Thanks! Sounds similar to the responses I give. I always try to suggest expansion over replacement. One of these days, they’re going to listen to us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom