News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SpectreJordan

I could be wrong. But yeah, what I've heard is MK and HS are the focus.

This is all off the top of my head, so help me clarify my thinking here.

The thing I don't know is whether the strategy Disney's betting on is:
  1. Add to already-popular parks -or-
  2. Add to less-popular parks
Strategy #1 seems to make sense if Disney sees a need to get people in the door. So if surveys say "I'm not coming because there's nothing new", even after everything that's been added to EPCOT, then adding to MK makes sense. Lots of people think WDW === MK.

Strategy #2 seems to make sense if they need to get people to stay longer. Like, people are coming, but they're only going to 2 parks instead of 3 or 4.

I mention strategy #2 because I recently got an email asking for advice about G+. When I asked for details about the trip, the response was "We're doing 2 days at MK, 1 at EP, and 1 at HS."

I would love to see how many people are skipping AK like that. And this person has a 2-BR at BLT for a week. They have the money and the time.
Any idea if the Indiana Jones plan is shifting to DHS instead?
Ideally they'd build something that isn't a single IP land.
I think single IP lands work well at DHS. They should just go all in on that at DHS at this point to fit in with Star Wars & Toy Story. Then have more general lands for the other 3 parks.

The only way I think general lands would work in DHS is if they were based off of genres, but SW & TS being specific to one IP kinda ruins that.

UNCgolf

Current Skyliner run from POP/AOA to Epcot is 2.4mi

CBR to DHS is .8mi. I have no idea how you would route it, but if you go south about a half mile, the west to Blizzard Beach and the West again to AK it's only a total of 3.39mi from CBR.

Not drastically longer. Though I don't know how you can route it anyway so that could be problematic with World Dr. etc.

View attachment 767743

Yeah, it definitely could be done. I'm just not sure they'd see it as worth it when figuring out where to route it, how many turns station it might need, plus the issues with downtime due to wind/storms.

I think Martin indicated at one point that Disney had decided internally the Skyliner wasn't a good option for further expansion due to the downsides -- not that they'd definitely never expand it at all, but that any expansions would probably be small additions along the current routes rather than anything significant.

lentesta

Premium Member
I could have swore there were good mockups people had done of a Skyliner that connected Colorado Springs, The All Star Resorts, and Animal Kingdom Lodge to Animal Kingdom Park and Blizzard Beach.

Disney would probably want it to connect to a 2nd theme park to justify it.

Pop to Disney Springs was/is the phase 2 from WDI. I think the westward expansion is super interesting tho.

Disney Dad 3000

Is there any potential or rumblings of Moana actually being revisited for AK? I don't think anyone would be shocked to see new concept art/plans yet again at D23, but with 2 more movies now coming out in the next year, I'd be hard pressed to think they aren't at least considering.
Would make the Dino/Indy conversion a weirder transition obviously, though I'd still much rather see a new Indy build at DHS paired with the stunt show.

James Alucobond

Is there any potential or rumblings of Moana actually being revisited for AK? I don't think anyone would be shocked to see new concept art/plans yet again at D23, but with 2 more movies now coming out in the next year, I'd be hard pressed to think they aren't at least considering.
Would make the Dino/Indy conversion a weirder transition obviously, though I'd still much rather see a new Indy build at DHS paired with the stunt show.
If they revisit it, it should be for further expansion, IMO. Africa, Asia, Tropical Americas, Oceania, and Pandora would make for a great slate of offerings.

lentesta

Premium Member
Any idea if the Indiana Jones plan is shifting to DHS instead?

I think single IP lands work well at DHS. They should just go all in on that at DHS at this point to fit in with Star Wars & Toy Story. Then have more general lands for the other 3 parks.

The only way I think general lands would work in DHS is if they were based off of genres, but SW & TS being specific to one IP kinda ruins that.

I haven't heard anything about Indy at DHS. I'll ask.

In the Parks
No
I heard Moana at AK is dead, but things can certainly change.

TheIceBaron

I feel like on some level behind the scenes they have a bunch of different IP blue sky combinations way more than they have shared publicly. Which makes sense why they can’t even commit to one thing because if they put X in one park they probably won’t put that same X in a different park. Hopeful for D23 having boatloads of announcements all at once.

In the Parks
No
What about Moana at MK? My first thought would be Adventureland but is that even possible?
There is an expansion pad beyond Jungle Cruise (about same location as DL's Indiana Jones) that was mentioned for this IP, but I haven't heard anything on that in a looooong time from insiders. That scoop also predates my having a source, so I don't know.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Here's an idea: how about some IPs that actually have to do with, y'know, animals?
It's a small pool of serviceable characters. Disney's collection of non-anthropomorphized animals are mainly domesticated cats and dogs which kind of goes against DAK. While fun, The Rescuers wouldn't really work. A case could be made for The Fox and Hound but again, not really for DAK. Brother Bear? Maybe.

The more obvious IP choice is Jungle Book. (though again anthropomorphized) It's criminally underrepresented in DAK.
Go figure?!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom