News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MistaDee

Btw:
1. The park is themed to Animals
2. The new land is South America

groove emperor GIF

I think I’d rather see a ride based on Emperors New Groove instead of Indiana Jones.

We could even get a restaurant serving Kronk’s spinach puffs and a “llama potion” dole whip float.

I am unironically 100% on board with this haha unfortunately the IP probably doesnt have the same pull as Encanto

So this might be a hot take, but I love the idea of a Pacific Northwest area in AK. That area has such cool wildlife, and done right, without the Simpsons, it could be really cool. Kind of like Grizzly Peak, but more nature-focused.

I see the continents at AK almost like a mini world showcase, bringing the other continents of the world to Disneyworld. In the same way that Oregon wouldn't get a pavilion at EPCOT I think tourists could just go to a zoo or actual Oregon for that experience.

Of course that is the exact opposite of the thesis behind Disney's California Adventure but we all know how that turned out...

James Alucobond

Is Antonio even a popular enough character for Disney to justify having the Encanto attraction star him? Does Antonio merchandise sell really well?
He doesn’t even have to “star” in the attraction if the attraction just focuses on Casita, which is the core of the film. A huge part of Casita is the character rooms, and the only ones defined well in the film are the room full of tropical American animals and the room full of tropical American plants.

mickEblu

He doesn’t even have to “star” in the attraction if the attraction just focuses on Casita, which is the core of the film. A huge part of Casita is the character rooms, and the only ones defined well in the film are the room full of tropical American animals and the room full of tropical American plants.

Yeah that sequence with him riding the Jaguar around his "room" is one of my favorite animated scenes in recent history.

Brer Panther

If Antonio doesn't have to be the star, how would the attraction be about animals, therefore "fitting" in Animal Kingdom? It's like saying, hey, there's a scene in Sleeping Beauty where she's in the forest dancing around with animals, so they should build a Sleeping Beauty ride in Animal Kingdom.

And what's the justification for Indiana Jones or Coco in Animal Kingdom?

MistaDee

If Antonio doesn't have to be the star, how would the attraction be about animals, therefore "fitting" in Animal Kingdom? It's like saying, hey, there's a scene in Sleeping Beauty where she's in the forest dancing around with animals, so they should build a Sleeping Beauty ride in Animal Kingdom.

What’s the justification for Indy at DisneySea?

The ride takes place on land, therefore it does not fit the rigid, arbitrary interpretation of a theme park’s theme I’ve constructed in my head

Sounds like you just plain don’t like this expansion for some reason. That’s fine but you can drop the purity test pretext, Pandora is frankly a stranger fit with the park’s other lands for my taste.

James Alucobond

In the same way that Na’vi River works in Animal Kingdom. It’s a drive-by of Pandoran flora and fauna. Simply going through Antonio and Isabela’s rooms would essentially be the same thing. Again, I am not saying this is what will happen or that they will resist the urge to incorporate overt narrative and musical numbers, but the path to it fitting well is not at all complex or tortuous.
I think most have agreed that Indy will be a stretch on the animal front. It is a much better example of what you’re talking about than Encanto.

And for the thousandth time, Disney has never said Coco is going into this land.

celluloid

What’s the justification for Indy at DisneySea?

The entire temple and story is based around The lost RIVER delta. Man's direct connection with a culture by the sea and how people have lived with and as adventurer's colonized them as raiders romanticized that fits with a similar way other harbor areas do in that park.
A delta fits right in.
It is a very well designed and fitting land. Lost River Delta, like much of Tokyo Disneyland has some very cool theming and fits and is not even one of my favorites.

Tonto

It’s called “Frozen”, not “Negative Kelvin”; yes you can have moving water.

images

Probably the only time I’ll ever defend FEA, since it’s still a massive downgrade from Maelstrom.
I don’t know. Maelstom was boring, never felt like a complete ride and overstayed its welcome by at least a decade.

FEA is far superior in every way. I’m not a Frozen fan but I can easily look past my bias to see that. Frozen is a good ride, not great but definitely good.

UNCgolf

I don’t know. Maelstom was boring, never felt like a complete ride and overstayed its welcome by at least a decade.

FEA is far superior in every way. I’m not a Frozen fan but I can easily look past my bias to see that. Frozen is a good ride, not great but definitely good.

I feel almost exactly the reverse of this -- Maelstrom wasn't a great ride but it was decent (most importantly, it actually fit the pavilion it was in); Frozen Ever After is quite bad and among the worst attractions built by Disney this century. It just fails at almost every level of design.

Bocabear

I feel almost exactly the reverse of this -- Maelstrom wasn't a great ride but it was decent (most importantly, it actually fit the pavilion it was in); Frozen Ever After is quite bad and among the worst attractions built by Disney this century. It just fails at almost every level of design.
I don't think I would judge it quite that harshly.... There are real moments that are wonderful....especially the opening with Olaf and Sven... When you get up to Elsa's Castle is just sort of flops...and the back-projected faces are strange, but the overall is not bad....Like MMRR, it gets judged more harshly because of it's location and what it replaced... If it had been built in a Frozen Land section of Fantasyland like they did overseas, it would have been much more appreciated... Elsa's Castle scenes need something though...

James J

In the Parks
No
Is Antonio even a popular enough character for Disney to justify having the Encanto attraction star him? Does Antonio merchandise sell really well?
You asked this a few days ago yet again, and it was answered then by @MisterPenguin:

This again, really?

When I posted this below in this thread, you were the very next person to post.

Is this shtick of constantly raising concerns already addressed some sort of performative art?

discos

Your example doesn't make any sense since Sleeping Beauty takes place in France which doesn't have any connection to Animal Kingdom. Encanto "having animals in the film" isn't the reason why Encanto is a good fit. The characters live in Colombia, a South American country that's so rich in agriculture, landscape, and has a vast species of animals. All of South America ("Tropical Americas") has so much to explore that aligns with Animal Kingdom's mission. Using the characters of Encanto is one way to explore it.

Indy is the same idea where some of his stories take place in these South American countries and him being an Archaeologist could still fit in with the park's mission. Again, there is a way to tie Indiana Jones into the "tropical Americas" just fine. Coco on the other hand, is a big stretch but Disney themselves have never mentioned Coco, and to be honest, what looks like Santa Cecilia in the concept art honestly looks like so many town plazas in South America. Let's not be too sure its Coco

Last edited:

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes

Antonio doesn't have to be the star to be an operative part of the narrative. The narrative could revolve around Antonio's animal friends getting lost or hurt, while the family (all acting as stars, maybe with Mirabel in the lead) must band together and use their powers to save them while traveling through the non-Euclidian geometry of the Casita. Indiana Jones could feature a narrative about some ancient deity with a connection to animals and nature. Maybe some archeologists have disturbed a fragile ecosystem with an improper excavation and the gods are angered. They unleash a giant ancient panther or other South American predator (a Carnotaurus perhaps?) and Indy must help us escape it. Coco prominently features the alebrijes, a mythological creature, so they could absolutely feature in a spinner attraction. Mythological animals are baked into Animal Kingdom's DNA.

With all that said, none of these particularly mirror the themes at play in their source material. Animals, nature, and conservation are not thematically relevant to the films Encanto and Coco which are about human familial relationships. Additionally, Indiana Jones as a franchise is mostly about fighting greed and keeping ancient powers out of the wrong hands; not exactly conservation. But just because these films don't feature these themes does not mean the story in these attractions are incapable of doing so. It's not hard to imagine at all, I was able to come up with these examples in just a few minutes.

For many years now Disney has been trying to stray away from book report rides and retelling the story of films on their attractions. As a sort of compromise to the IP mandate, many Imagineers would rather write a new story for these universes and characters instead of regurgitating what Hollywood has already put out. This is why we got Batuu instead of Tatooine; it's why Pandora, FEA, and Tiana's are all set years after their respective films.

In film or any other media, when writing a sequel to an existing work, a writer typically does not want to re-tread the same thematic beats of the first work in their continuation because there is an expectation that the characters grew and developed with those themes already. In a sequel, you want to tread new thematic ground. Why then, are so many theme park enthusiasts angered by the prospect of a new story in a familiar setting? If we truly want the themed entertainment industry to be recognized as a legitimate form of storytelling media then we should be encouraging continuations of existing films, not retellings of them.

We should also be encouraging original properties entirely separate from film but unfortunately executives seem to work extra hard to kill new IP, the very lifeblood of their industry. But that's a different discussion.

yensidtlaw1969

I'll reassure people that in Indy's case the ride is being tooled to work in Animal Kingdom. It's not just clone of Disneyland or Tokyo's version.

I don't imagine they'd go to that trouble for Indy and not go to it for Encanto, which is a scratch-build, though I've heard less about what's happening in that ride.

britain

I don’t think it’s so much that we are angered by new stories in familiar settings. It’s that we want to be IN the original story, even though sometimes our presence would ruin it.

With Pandora, they really couldn’t just put guests in the middle of the first film, due to the fact that humans are warring with the Na’vi. Guests as “tourists” kind of requires a different era of peace.

But remember the story about pitching Star Tours 2 to George Lucas: When they get to the Hoth scene they only have Wampas on the field of ice. And George says “where are the At-Ats?” And the Imagineer tells him, “Well this is after Empire happened.” And George tells him to loosen up and just send the guests into the battle of Hoth!

Whatever the storyline of the new Animal Kingdom version of Indy, it better end with a rolling boulder.

We need a little reminder that whatever makes the most fun experience should be what wins.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom