News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When I visit another country, it sure isn't for Disney.

first world problems.png

KDM31091

I would definitely assume Dinoland would be closed in phases since it is such a spread out area, and the carnival area/boneyard requires full demolition, whereas the Dinosaur ride in theory would be a quicker process, since the bones are already there. I would think they will close it in two phases, especially since the park has so few attractions to begin with.

There's still part of me hoping somehow Dinosaur survives, or at the least we get an Indiana Jones ride that still incorporates dinosaurs in some way, which seems like a good compromise if they insist on doing this.

Earlie the Pearlie

People, people. We are forgetting a sad but important fact.
Dinosaur's capacity is not being utilized to its fullest potential. It consistently has 10, 15 minute wait times. During the busiest weeks of the year, it rarely cracks half an hour. Yes, it is not a good thing for capacity to be reduced in any park, especially one as tiny as AK, but it's really not a significant amount of capacity. It would be like if Epcot was only Future World and they decided to close Living with the Land (Walt forbid). Yes, it would take away some capacity, but it's just not going to matter very much. Maybe waits at Avatar, Everest, and Kilimanjaro go up by 10 minutes, max.
I'm not trying to be overly positive here. I absolutely agree with the sentiment that Disney should prioritize expansion. But it seems to me from the general rumors flying around that this project is going to be immediately followed up by expansion anyway.
I know there is a lot of love for Dinosaur, but Indy is just objectively so much better (just watch lights on POVs!). And if Disney redoes the story to incorporate themes of preservation, and it seems like they will, then I think this is going to work out great.
All this to say that I don't think that Dinosaur closing is going to have very much impact on the capacity of AK. Pandora will still be open, and that does most of the heavy lifting anyway.

lazyboy97o

Dinosaur's capacity is not being utilized to its fullest potential. It consistently has 10, 15 minute wait times. During the busiest weeks of the year, it rarely cracks half an hour. Yes, it is not a good thing for capacity to be reduced in any park, especially one as tiny as AK, but it's really not a significant amount of capacity. It would be like if Epcot was only Future World and they decided to close Living with the Land (Walt forbid). Yes, it would take away some capacity, but it's just not going to matter very much. Maybe waits at Avatar, Everest, and Kilimanjaro go up by 10 minutes, max.
I'm not trying to be overly positive here. I absolutely agree with the sentiment that Disney should prioritize expansion. But it seems to me from the general rumors flying around that this project is going to be immediately followed up by expansion anyway.
I know there is a lot of love for Dinosaur, but Indy is just objectively so much better (just watch lights on POVs!). And if Disney redoes the story to incorporate themes of preservation, and it seems like they will, then I think this is going to work out great.
All this to say that I don't think that Dinosaur closing is going to have very much impact on the capacity of AK. Pandora will still be open, and that does most of the heavy lifting anyway.
You only get a wait, even a small one, if the demand exceeds the attraction’s capacity.

It is also important for parks to have slack when other experiences inevitably go down.

flyerjab

I think this move makes perfect sense…from Disney’s (Iger’s) perspective. This part of the park is less visited so its potential operating capacity is seldom achieved. Also, next year, Epic Universe will draw some attendance from WDW and I think DAK will suffer more than the other 3 WDW parks.

Now what is the best way to have some sort of response to EU. Follow it up with an expansion. Hmmm…which park 1) needs a better attraction lineup, 2) won’t need as much site prep work, and 3) can utilize some pre-existing infrastructure -with the latter two points hopefully cutting down on construction a bit?

We can argue the use of IP till we are blue in the face. That is a mandate that isn’t changing. But if WDW wants some sort of collective response to EU, this could be the “quickest” way for WDW to do start. Open an expansion at a park where existing infrastructure can be used for rides, shops and eating locations. That SHOULD cut down on construction timelines. Using the rumored IPs makes sense because they are WAY MORE popular than the total lack of any identifiable IP in this location. Face it, Indy, Encanto and possibly Coco are all very popular IP. This is designed to draw more guests to this corner of the park, and if done well it most certainly will. Construction may cost less and the cost of operating and upkeep will be satisfied by increased attendance in this part of the park.

My only question is will there be ANY animal representation anywhere? Or any mention of the rainforest? It will be interesting to see if that b happens.

Brer Oswald

Nothing will beat the Carnotaraus animatronic roaring at you in person, and the simulated chase that follows. It's a very well done effect that has worked every single time I've been on the attraction.

Is what it is though. Just wish they were adding first before replacing. The 15 minute wait indoors, followed by the 5 minute ride is exactly what one needs when navigating the hot and humid park.

CJR

I could honestly see them getting started with the PW plot right away and keeping Dinosaur open a bit longer since it wouldn't be hard to route people to the west pathway, closing just TriceraTop Spin. Then, once it gets further along, close Dinosaur, but you'll have a new high capacity attraction already well underway, minimizing the impact.

yensidtlaw1969

Of all the parks that need more things, AK can’t afford anything down. People are already opting to not visit AK as much, that would make it even worse for a few years.
That's kind of precisely why it can afford it in the short term. Attendance is already down. It's not going back up until they open something new anyway, and the shortest distance between them and that is retheming something existing.

If it helps any, this version of Indiana Jones will be different and is shaping up to be very good. I don't want to lose Dinosaur! but it does seem like this will be a worthy successor.

Brer Panther

It could be a walk-through, which would be quite disappointing. But assuming it’s a dark ride, I think an omnimover would make the most sense considering that Casita has 2 floors and WDI already has a ton of experience with the “omnimover through an enchanted house” concept. If they want to use creative liberty to flatten Casita into one floor, they could go with LPS and follow the Mystic Manor formula. A boat ride through a house doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense. EMV is next door so won’t be that. Won’t be slot-car since there’s not enough space nor need for speed. Busbar would work but they seem to have abandoned that system. Suspended could be interesting, though Pan seems to have a monopoly on it. Finally, it doesn’t match the concept art, but they could do some sort of coaster that winds through the rainforest with indoor show scenes in Casita à la 7DMT, though they really do need something more kid-friendly IMO.
It's totally gonna be a trackless dark ride. Disney doesn't do non-trackless dark rides anymore. I think the most recent one was Journey of the Little Mermaid, and if it were being built today, I guarantee that it would be a trackless dark ride as opposed to an omnimover.
There’s loads of problems with trackless:
- Warehouse like design with less intimate sets
- No elevation changes unless elevators are introduced
- Issues with the LPS that cause a ton of downtime
In addition, the ride vehicles move incredibly slowly (especially detrimental to Shanghai's Zootopia ride, which is supposed to be a frantic chase through the city but is more like a slow crawl through the city) and the new trackless dark rides constantly park the ride vehicles in front of screens, making them feel less like dark rides and more like glorified simulators.
I don't think it's the ride system that's the problem, to me it seems like all the current trackless rides just feel very similar.
They are.
Indy, Encanto and possibly Coco are all very popular IP.
Yes, they are three popular IPs. They are also IPs that do not belong in Animal Kingdom since, y'know, they're not about animals. Same reason why putting Moana in Animal Kingdom was an awful idea.
My only question is will there be ANY animal representation anywhere? Or any mention of the rainforest?
I doubt it.

cjkeating

Just watched Mickey Views videos where he described the Encanto attraction as a C-Ticket omnimover. So take that for what you will. Better than a meet and greet or show but not a trackless dark ride of flume ride.

On a separate note following COVID Animal Kingdom went through a self fulfilling death spiral.
> Shorter hours/no evening hours
> No regular nighttime Pandora
> No nighttime show
Even when park hours are extended...
> No night safari
> No late evening entertainment/characters
Also...
> Entertainment remains reduced, none in Asia, less in Africa, less meet and greets

Please correct me but from memory in 2019 Animal Kingdom was the second most visited WDW park and had been for a year or two. Yes it was riding some Pandora hype but the way they reopened the park after COVID was as if it was operating pre-Everest not post-Pandora.

If they can relaunch the park like they did with Pandora with supporting evening attractions/entertainment there is no reason why the park can't hold its own again. I do worry than a rethemed Indiana Jones, Coco spinner and an Encanto book report ride won't generate that much long lasting hype though. It all feels a bit New Fantasyland.

Teddybearre

described the Encanto attraction as a C-Ticket omnimover. So take that for what you will.
To be completely honest, I was kinda hoping for it to be a trackless dark ride since I feel like that would’ve fit the storyline more, however I don’t mind an omnimover at all, nor do I mind it not being e-ticket either (anything is better than that show speculation). I keep having to remind people in communities like this that parks need smaller attractions to keep things balanced, and a cute little Encanto ride sounds perfect, especially if they’re already planning a separate e-ticket for something else.

DisneyDodo

On a separate note following COVID Animal Kingdom went through a self fulfilling death spiral.
> Shorter hours/no evening hours
> No regular nighttime Pandora
> No nighttime show
Even when park hours are extended...
> No night safari
> No late evening entertainment/characters
Also...
> Entertainment remains reduced, none in Asia, less in Africa, less meet and greets
Don’t forget no KiteTails.

But yea, it’s clear that things are going to get even worse at DAK before they get better. We’ve already seen Disney try to coax people away from MK with their recently announced discounted ticket deals (3-day no-MK, 4-day 1-day-per-park), but I suspect we’ll see even more extreme measures aimed at diverting people towards DAK while a bunch of attractions are down there and EU is open. Things like a free DAK day added to x-day tickets or free park-hopping to DAK after 2pm with a standard ticket, etc.

flyerjab

Yes, they are three popular IPs. They are also IPs that do not belong in Animal Kingdom since, y'know, they're not about animals. Same reason why putting Moana in Animal Kingdom was an awful idea.

I doubt it.
Here’s the thing…top brass does not care anymore about this approach to parks. End of story. Would I love it if they were adding a truly unique land here with little to no IP that had an animal trail, a water ride through a tropical rainforest and maybe a show about the legend of the Madrigal House? Absolutely! I LOVE the animal trails in DAK and I’m my mind count them as attractions. When people post on the boards here that DAK doesn’t have enough rides, I always laugh to myself as the wild life here is the most important theme (or was).

You can certainly state your claim that the assumed IP does not fit because they are not concerned with animals. That is hardly a prophetic statement. But since I know that Iger and Co. have seen a theme park down the road be completely turned around by inserting an IP-based land into it, that seems to be all he cares about. It is all branding all the time now. I just refuse to lay on my fainting couch clutching my pearls about it. This is the new direction for parks it would seem. And there is no rule book, philosophical tome or religious scripture that says thou shalt not divert from a parks original mission statement.

Not saying I am a fan of this new world. It’s just what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom