Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conundrum

What I hate about Nemo and M:S is that there were tons of AWSOME proposals that didnt invole charecters that would have made the attractions popular again long term.

Sotto's Space Pavillion would have been loved by all now we have "mission space". :mad:

EPCOT Explorer

Even though I originally didn't like the touchscreen idea, I actually now think it'd be neat if they were on during the history section, if you want to use it that is. Then some kids could use the screen to learn additional historical info that relates to the scenes they see on the screen. Figure that, learning something new again back at Epcot. Only problem would be is if the screen would be too bright to distract the other people in front and behind you. If they could dim it somehow? I just find the first part of the ride so much different from the second half. If they could blend the two together somehow. And if they can change that paste-your-photo ending?:animwink:
It was highly speculated about when the refurb was still being executed.

Maybe in the next version....Seems to be the only logical thing if they want to continue to use the screens.

SirGoofy

:lol: I don't really think that the original Living seas was as top notch as people think it out to be. The old seacabs were a perfect oppurtunity to nap, much like the old Universe of Energy.

Fixed. LS version 1 was a complete and utter bore. I loved EPCOT Center as much as the next fanboy, but LS was terrible.

HMF

Here we are!

The faces are much less cartoony.

DSC04367.jpg

Not my pic...Credit goes to NemoRocks.:)
It's better but not 1994 better.

MousDad

I vehemently disagree with the assertion that Epcot is stale. In fact, I think it is the only of the 4 parks that is not stale.

jakeman

From reading this thread, stale would equal "the Epcot we have doesn't match the Epcot in my mind".

Threads like these remind me that there is a small percentage of the fan base that is in love with the idea of Epcot more than the actual park. So much so that they lose that sight that the "idea" Epcot is marketing and a mutated commercialization of one of Walt's final dreams.

jt04

ohh .. how i love his ideas for tomorrowland & "progress city" this is such a great interview!!

Yes, very intresting interview. I think he hit the nail on the head conerning the problem with the Tomorrowlands. He says they have two options, retro (less expensive) timeless themes vs. cutting edge technology showcases (much more expensive) . The solution to me is simple, make the MK Tomorrowlands of the first type (retro) which are timeless and need fewer updates and leave the cutting edge showcases in one place, Epcot's Future World. The REAL Tomorrowland. Or at least it should be.

I like his idea of a DVC tower at Epcot that is filled with sponsored technology. And there is plenty of room in the parking lot to build a tower along the monorail line. Very very compelling idea. Judging by his work at LAX, I think he is the right person for the job too!

mcjaco

:lol: I don't really think that the original Living seas was as top notch as people think it out to be. The old seacabs look like a perfect oppurtunity to nap, much like the old Universe of Energy.

LS was one of the most immersize pavilions in FW. Once you got past the movie, it honestly felt like you were in a Sea Base. I always thought it was very well done.

You are exactly right but The Living Seas were really pushing the envelope. Once the seacabs were gone there was not much interest invested in the pavilion. Thankfully the Seas With Nemo And Friends are able to teach while still being fun for everyone. Not the best refurb but a good one nonetheless.

I think the movie killed the pavilion. It was dark, boring, and had no real story line to get you into the pavilion. A simple movie change that created a story on why you needed to get into the hydrolators and then the seacabs to Sea Base Alpha would have made more sense.

I like the refurb, but it's just a Pixar layover.

1978 Space was amazing.:D

Were you even born then? I was only three! :lol:

I vehemently disagree with the assertion that Epcot is stale. In fact, I think it is the only of the 4 parks that is not stale.

I agree. It's not stale. It's purpose and story telling is lost. Each pavilion used to tell a story, and each one of those stories had elements that worked in the other pavilions.....to a certain degree.

imagineer boy

I'm facinated by his Progress City ideas. Kind of a schaled down verison of Walt's EPCOT, but he same idea and spirit.

PhilharMagician

TT does nothing, M:S too. If it was actually going to Mars, and they made it a bit more "real" :)lookaroun) it would work. Soarin' only works well because it's in TL, which covers the IIE nicely.

Nemo, however?! The only informing that thing does is on the ignored (except for me...:lookaroun) info plaques that are Nemo-fied. TTlk is just a kid's surf talk fest.:lol: THAT could be informative, but it's not.

It does entertain, though...

A lot of people bash TT but it actually works. It is the only one out of the 4 you mentioned that actually fits the learning theme of EPCOT. TT may not teach you about the history of transportation anymore like WoM, but it certatinly teaches about how the car industry deals with safety and product testing. Soarin' is a great ride, but really adds no education except that California has many things to see. MS is a great ride and concept, but if it went a little deeper after the ride itself into how technology was able to create this simulator and how technology will bring us closer to the stars in the future then it would be more EPCOT. Nemo is nothing but an attention graber to get people into the pavillion. It teaches people nothing about the sea.

The other rides like Energy teach about Energy! Figment still teaches about your senses and imagination, even though it is not as good as it once was. SSE teaches about the history of man and the evolution of communication.

IMO MS, Soarin' and Nemo do not fit in with the original intention of fun learning.

Let the bashing begin.

Jasonflz

Ah, well then don't forget to add Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

If you want to go old school, Body Wars was wrong on so many levels it could be considered anti-educational.

Other than those additions, I think you are dead on.

Along with Stormrider which says that a storm(s) can be stopped with the help of a missile. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom