Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, without me having to go through 3000 entries, do you have any insight as to what's going on at Pleasure Island?

Not specifically, no. From what I understand, they are looking at doing lots of new dining options, etc for the whole downtown district as there are some open spaces to deal with. Wish I knew more.

jt04

Not specifically, no. From what I understand, they are looking at doing lots of new dining options, etc for the whole downtown district as there are some open spaces to deal with. Wish I knew more.

This is what I'd like to see. A more formal version of the F&W fest.

Then add specialty shops carrying imported foods. Cheese shop, wine shop, pastries, baklava, kabobs etc. Educational seminars, tastings etc could be a big hit. Basically building on what Raglin Road brought to DtD on a wider more in depth scale.

And real belgian waffles sold from a stand!

NoChesterHester

I like the food stand idea, but I really want more than just a dining district. Can they do something family friendly that is open later?

There is a movie theater... what about a really cool retro roller rink? Ice skating? Bowling? Your typical amusement stuff, but done with real pizazz?

jt04

I like the food stand idea, but I really want more than just a dining district. Can they do something family friendly that is open later?

There is a movie theater... what about a really cool retro roller rink? Ice skating? Bowling? Your typical amusement stuff, but done with real pizazz?

Agreed. And yes I think they could and they have the space to do so. DtD could be the most amazing entertainment complex in the US if the decide to.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I would say more of a cult following, but cult and religion are one in the same to some people so...

True. If you make comparisons to the two it's kind of interesting. There are certain values,expectations as to it's mantra etc. that when "violated" cause upset among the devout.

castevens

I think it depends on one's view of religion. I view religion as a way for people to try to explain their existence in the Universe, and in that sense I do not view Disney as a religion.

An alternative way of describing religion is a way of life, a way of thinking, and something that makes people gather in one place in awe of something great. In that sense, Disney is most certainly a "religion."

But seeing as I go to WDW more often than I go to church (and neither is very often) . . . maybe I'll defer to other peoples' opinions

Magenta Panther

Fantasmic's outsourced Dragon AA had a little bit of a problem last night.

Yeah, I read about that on Twitter. How embarrassing. Looks like Disneyland now has its own version of the Yeti.

I really hurt for Disney right now. It's spending big wads of cash investing in entities not its own while shortchanging the things it does create, sort of (Murphy was outsourced, as HMF pointed out.) And now the Yetis - and dragons - have come home to roost. *sigh* :cry:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

How about an Eddie Sotto designed and operated eatery?

jt04

True. If you make comparisons to the two it's kind of interesting. There are certain values,expectations as to it's mantra etc. that when "violated" cause upset among the devout.

So true. :lol:

I'll add my two cents once.

The reason Disney parks work so well is the ability to create amazing environments that enable people to suspend disbelief. Even the most cynical and jaded can let go of their attitudes and escape from their everyday lives. Disney has mastered this 'art' as you well know. And when the rule book is ignored or budgets gut the details of a project the illusion is lost.

Now some folks couldn't care less as they can't relate anyway. Perhaps there is a point of no return on the cynacism scale. But for most people, the magic of the parks is rooted in the escapism they allow, and THAT is what creates lifetime fans and keeps people returning. So by ignoring the rule book, long term damage is being done to the viability of the parks and soon Disney could find they no longer stand above all other theme parks. I have confidence the current management understands this well.

An even better anology may be to compare theme parks to the movie experience. There are great movies that draw viewers in and become 'real' and those have the potential to be called classics. Then there are movies that don't and they often get forgotten. That seems to be the fate of all things average or mediocre. I hope Disney parks never fall to the temptation of doing enough to be forgettable rather than memorable.

I wouldn't call it religion though. It's more a case of them not screwing up what works and of which we have grown to appreciate.

HMF

So true. :lol:

I'll add my two cents once.

The reason Disney parks work so well is the ability to create amazing environments that enable people to suspend disbelief. Even the most cynical and jaded can let go of their attitudes and escape from their everyday lives. Disney has mastered this 'art' as you well know. And when the rule book is ignored or budgets gut the details of a project the illusion is lost.

Now some folks couldn't care less as they can't relate anyway. Perhaps there is a point of no return on the cynacism scale. But for most people, the magic of the parks is rooted in the escapism they allow, and THAT is what creates lifetime fans and keeps people returning. So by ignoring the rule book, long term damage is being done to the viability of the parks and soon Disney could find they no longer stand above all other theme parks. I have confidence the current management understands this well.

An even better anology may be to compare theme parks to the movie experience. There are great movies that draw viewers in and become 'real' and those have the potential to be called classics. Then there are movies that don't and they often get forgotten. That seems to be the fate of all things average or mediocre. I hope Disney parks never fall to the temptation of doing enough to be forgettable rather than memorable.

I wouldn't call it religion though. It's more a case of them not screwing up what works and of which we have grown to appreciate.
While most of the parks provide escapism. My favorite park is Epcot because rather than escaping from the real world it helps to explain it. The concepts of Where we have been' what we have done' who we are' what's our significance' how can we build a better future? are very personal to me. I am getting really personal here but in my humble opinion I always get chills up my back at the end of IllumiNations because in the end that is what life is all about. All of us are moving forward through good times and bad times but there is always another day ahead and what we leave behind on this Earth will continue forever. OK' now leaving preachy idealist mode.

jt04

While most of the parks provide escapism. My favorite park is Epcot because rather than escaping from the real world it helps to explain it. The concepts of Where we have been' what we have done' who we are' what's our significance' how can we build a better future? are very personal to me. I am getting really personal here but in my humble opinion I always get chills up my back at the end of IllumiNations because in the end that is what life is all about. All of us are moving forward through good times and bad times but there is always another day ahead and what we leave behind on this Earth will continue forever. OK' now leaving preachy idealist mode.

To me Epcot has always represented optimism in a cynical world. Nothing more or less than that really. In that sense it really does provide an escape.

Put for some odd reason they seem to be determined to remove optimism from Future World, replacing it with silly humor or thrills. It's puzzling. :veryconfu

HMF

To me Epcot has always represented optimism in a cynical world. Nothing more or less than that really. In that sense it really does provide an escape.

Put for some odd reason they seem to be determined to remove optimism from Future World, replacing it with silly humor or thrills. It's puzzling. :veryconfu
To some extent the cynical world is starting to creep into Epcot Spaceship Earth being the obvious example. Gee' I miss the 90s and 2000

jt04

To some extent the cynical world is starting to creep into Epcot Spaceship Earth being the obvious example. Gee' I miss the 90s and 2000

What keeps me optimistic is the lack of any major announcements ironically enough. Could it be they are considering going back to the parks original priorities of showcasing a hopeful optimistic future? It really is a theme that will never go out of style. Boggles the mind why the decided to jettison the idea in the first place. I've heard Eisner did not understand Future World and that might explain it.:shrug:

HMF

What keeps me optimistic is the lack of any major announcements ironically enough. Could it be they are considering going back to the parks original priorities of showcasing a hopeful optimistic future? It really is a theme that will never go out of style. Boggles the mind why the decided to jettison the idea in the first place. I've heard Eisner did not understand Future World and that might explain it.:shrug:
A lot of my optimism was shattered with the last SSE re-do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom