East Parking Garage construction

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
orange deck is almost equivalent to ALL of DTD surface parking by itself (by my SWAG counting of spaces from Google Maps...) there is more than enough parking in lime and orange, not to mention strawberry
Yep Orange replaced pretty much all they had on before, so Lime is a bonus on top.

G00fyDad

orange deck is almost equivalent to ALL of DTD surface parking by itself (by my SWAG counting of spaces from Google Maps...) there is more than enough parking in lime and orange, not to mention strawberry

I would hope you are right, but think about it like this... These are new (newish) and people are going to park in them just to be parking in the garage. People will park in them even if it is not necessarily near their destination just to park in the garage. Every time we have ever went to DS (Then DTD), in October, the lots near Marketplace and the old PI were filled to capacity and people were driving around like sharks looking for spots. I can only imagine how insane it will be in the summer.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I would hope you are right, but think about it like this... These are new (newish) and people are going to park in them just to be parking in the garage. People will park in them even if it is not necessarily near their destination just to park in the garage. Every time we have ever went to DS (Then DTD), in October, the lots near Marketplace and the old PI were filled to capacity and people were driving around like sharks looking for spots. I can only imagine how insane it will be in the summer.
There won't be any parking problems. They have spent a lot of time and money devising the new roadways and parking. Have faith.

roj2323

Not to mention that these will likely be filled with gas vehicles and no electric car will have a chance to use them.

There's pretty clear signage that you will be fined and there's plenty of roving security to enforce it. Additionally I have never seen anything but electric or plug in hybrids in those spots as they are on the top floor of the garage and that's the last to fill up.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There's pretty clear signage that you will be fined and there's plenty of roving security to enforce it. Additionally I have never seen anything but electric or plug in hybrids in those spots as they are on the top floor of the garage and that's the last to fill up.
The Disney ones actually don't have any mention of a fine, unlike say at MCO.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...7may2016-disney-springs-lime-garage/27809.htm

But as you say, they are not in great positions at Disney Springs, so I don't see it being a problem.

G00fyDad

There won't be any parking problems. They have spent a lot of time and money devising the new roadways and parking. Have faith.

I would have thought so, but I figured with people being "people" they would all try to crowd into the garages and these would fill up rather fast. But remember, I am speaking from a stance of ignorance on this issue. A) I have never been during the summer so I can only extrapolate from the lower crowd time of the year that I always visit, and B) I have not been since the Orange Garage has been in place.

Additionally I have never seen anything but electric or plug in hybrids in those spots as they are on the top floor of the garage and that's the last to fill up.

That's good to hear. It sucks when people just act inconsiderate and knowingly park their vehicles where they know very well they shouldn't. Such as the lined off area in front of stores for emergency vehicles, directly in the right hand lane on downtown streets with the flashers on, etc...

Rider

The left turn from BVD into the Lime garage is an accident waiting to happen. I only spent about 10 minutes watching and EVERY SINGLE green light cycle had drivers doing something crazy. They either need better signage indicating that both lanes go to the same place or they will need a cop/cast member out there giving directions. This short videos I took were just in the few minutes I was there. Not shown are a few things that happened before I started filming including a van missing the lane and ending up in the bus drop off and about 5-6 cars who got into the bus lane somewhere else and didn't know what to do when the bus lanes ended here (they also had to dart into the real traffic lanes).

Also have a picture of the charging spots. One electric Nissan Leaf and one gasoline minivan

Attachments

• 2016-05-21 20.31.07.jpg
    2016-05-21 20.31.07.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 104

hpyhnt 1000

The left turn from BVD into the Lime garage is an accident waiting to happen. I only spent about 10 minutes watching and EVERY SINGLE green light cycle had drivers doing something crazy. They either need better signage indicating that both lanes go to the same place or they will need a cop/cast member out there giving directions. This short videos I took were just in the few minutes I was there. Not shown are a few things that happened before I started filming including a van missing the lane and ending up in the bus drop off and about 5-6 cars who got into the bus lane somewhere else and didn't know what to do when the bus lanes ended here (they also had to dart into the real traffic lanes).

Also have a picture of the charging spots. One electric Nissan Leaf and one gasoline minivan

Was wondering if those plastic barriers entering the garage would be an issue. Agree that the current set up is a fender bender waiting to happen.

halltd

I haven't driven into the Lime garage yet, but what are those lanes marked as? Why are people changing lanes at the last minute like that? Just because they think they're going the wrong way?

Rider

I haven't driven into the Lime garage yet, but what are those lanes marked as? Why are people changing lanes at the last minute like that? Just because they think they're going the wrong way?

They are not really marked which I think is part of the problem. Once you turn left there is only a low clearance bar and the spaces available sign. The lanes, however, look like they head to different places so people freak out thinking they are in the wrong lane at the last minute.

mm121

this is exactly why they should have done this as a grade seperated interchange, then the traffic entering the garage wouldnt have to stop at this stoplight and more overhead signage could have been used to ensure that people were in the correct lanes

while at the same time allowing westbound traffic on lbv to continue without stopping
Was wondering if those plastic barriers entering the garage would be an issue. Agree that the current set up is a fender bender waiting to happen.
if both lanes go to the same place those plastic poles seem awkward
My issue with these garages are that there isn't enough handicapped spots. I still keep having to park near La Nuba to get a handicapped spot.
where did they put the handicap spaces in the garages? logically they should have put them on the 2nd level as that would have eliminated one ride in an elevator.
They are not really marked which I think is part of the problem. Once you turn left there is only a low clearance bar and the spaces available sign. The lanes, however, look like they head to different places so people freak out thinking they are in the wrong lane at the last minute.

would be great if someone could do a video or some photos of the set up its hard to visualize

mm121

And if your staying at Saratoga, just walk over.
or take a boat
Interesting point: the new depot is designed to allow buses to drop everyone off before going to their pickup load zone. On the 5th photo, showing the west entrance lanes with PH in the background, you can clearly see the drop-off spaces along the curb to the right of the water tower. This is the only WDW bus loop designed to separate the drop off from the pickup.
maybe they did this to allow busses to pickup more based off need than a schedule, so they can pick up where the longest line is first
the point is, citrus is absolutely fine for garage names, because of the cultivation of them in the area... not really so hard to understand why they went with fruit instead of characters
they never would have even considered characters for the garages, disney keeps the characters for paying attractions
Because back in the day there was a citrus farm here from what I have heard.

PS- good to see the charging stations on the roof of the garages. Nice add. TESLA should be allowed to add a station across LBV somewhere IMO.
across lbv would be fine,
hey, disney should be clamoring to allow elon to place superchargers in the decks...
in the decks would be a waste of space, as the chargers are not the standard for most electric vehicles
superchargers work best in situations where people have something like a starbucks or something to entertain themselves for a half an hour but where they dont go away and leave the vehicle for a long period of time, occupying space that might be needed by others, something that will become more important as more electric vehicles get on the road

Texas84

Lime was a nightmare today. To be expected with the holiday I guess. Took 30 minutes to get out. People driving around in lanes marked zero spaces.

jt04

Lime was a nightmare today. To be expected with the holiday I guess. Took 30 minutes to get out. People driving around in lanes marked zero spaces.

How long before construction starts on a new garage? Sounds like they need more of everything.

mm121

How long before construction starts on a new garage? Sounds like they need more of everything.
if they added a 3rd garage would be grat to see it over to the west of the west side, along with a revamp of the hyperian warf project make it an adults area like pleasure island use to be and doing it over on the side there wouldnt affect pedestrian traffic accross the venue like PI use to

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom