Trip Report *DONE!* Take a dash of Food & Wine, a 30th birthday, some crayons, a 10 mile run and what do ya get?

.. A Tower of Terror 10 miler trip report of course!!! :)

Aloha boys and girls and welcome to my fall 2012 trip report!! I’ve decided to stop the trend of losing my vacation pictures starting with this TR. If you read my last 2 trip reports (well, one and a half since my May TR still isn’t finished… oops!!) you know that my sister accidentally deleted the last day of pictures after our November 2011 trip which included our Crystal Palace character breakfast, meet and greets with Aladdin, Jasmine, Davy Crockett Donald as well as a couple others.. Then while in the process of writing my May 2012 TR I lost my memory card and only the first 2 days worth of photos were saved :( Obviously, I don’t have good luck with vacation photos. HOWEVER - When I got home this time, I immediately saved them to my sister’s external hard drive and put the memory card in a safe place. We also ordered the Photopass CD and I took over 1300 pictures so needless to say this will be a picture infused trip report for sure!

If you’d like to read my PTR, you can find it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-crazy-a-tower-of-terror-10-miler-ptr.848349/

At first it was just going to be a long weekend trip to run our first Disney race: The Tower of Terror 10 Miler. Yes, you read that right. 10 miles! And I’m not a runner by any means but my sister and I signed up for the race in February. Clearly we are just crazy. Or we were just cold up here in snowy, frigid Maine and the thought of getting out of Maine for any reason seemed appealing at the time, even if it meant running (or fast walking) 10 miles. Training didn’t go as well as we had hoped and there were times we thought of dropping out cause let’s be real here, 10 miles is no short distance. The longest run I put in before the race was 5 miles. My hip acted up here and there and it hurt me to run sometimes. But we decided to give it a shot. The worst that could happen? We get swept but at least we could say we tried it. Besides, my gal pals Jess, Courtney and Shelley (@PartOfYourWorld @enchanted_belle and @Fashionista007 respectively) were going to be running as well. So I had some motivational support right there. I’m sure by now you’re probably wondering… Did I finish the race? You’ll have to read all about it to find out!! So who’s with me? Alright then… let’s get this thing rolling!!

Monday September 24 – Arrival day and our trial of Fast Pass Plus!
My alarm went off bright and early on Monday morning. Actually, it was more like dark and early since it was 3:20am. Mom and my grandmother would be there at 4am sharp to pick me up for our 1 mile commute to the airport. Our flight was at 5:40am and after researching the outgoing flights that morning and finding that 6 flights were leaving within 30 minutes of each other at our small little jetport, I decided we should be there by 4:15. That would give us a solid hour and a half before our flight to check our bag, get through security and maybe grab some breakfast. A little before 4, I let my pup Luca out and gave him lots of kisses as I would miss dearly while I was gone. I mean who wouldn’t miss this face?!

luca-1.jpg

Mom and Grams showed up and we loaded my stuff into the car and we were on our way (I should mention here that Ashley would not be flying in until Wednesday evening due to her not being able to get as much time off from work) I had already checked us in for our flight with AirTran so all we had to do was check our one bag, print our boarding pass and get through the security line…. Only there were no lines. No line to check the bag and maybe 3 people ahead of us at security. And here I thought the line would be huge with so many people traveling early. Oh well. Better safe than sorry. We had an hour and 15 minutes to kill so I grabbed a magazine and read.

It was still dark out when we took off and we made it to Baltimore without issues. We landed in BWI at 7:10 so we had about an hour or so before the next leg of the trip so I went and got us some Jamba Juice. Mmm….. yummy!!

When we went to board the plane to Orlando, the ticket lady scanned my ticket and then she told me that our seats had been changed. She handed me and my Mom new boarding passes and told us “Here sit in these 2 seats. They’re in business class” A free upgrade to business class? Heck yes!! The extra leg room was nice and we got some Milano cookies as opposed to mini pretzels. You didn’t get anything additional other than a little extra leg room and priority boarding. The extra leg room was DEFINITELY nice but the fact it was about $300 more each way than what we paid, it just didn’t seem worth it. The only thing separating business class and coach was a curtain behind the seats so it wasn’t like you were really secluded. Sorry but the additional $600 that business class cost could be better spent elsewhere… like a stay at the Polynesian :) It was nice though to try once, especially since it was free. Since we were close to the front of the plane, we were first to disembark when we landed in sunny Florida 14 minutes ahead of schedule. No waiting at the back of the plane. That was nice…

We headed straight for DME and there wasn’t really a long line. We hopped on the bus headed for the All Star Resort and at promptly 10:38am we were bound for the happiest place on earth!!!

mom-d-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Getting closer……
DSC_0006-1.jpg

We’re here!!!!!
DSC_0007-1.jpg

We stopped at Coronado Springs first and then All Star Sports. We were finally there and I was super excited. We walked right up to the online check in and checked in with a CM name Sena. At this point I realized I did not have my ID on me and it must have fallen off my lap on the bus. FAIL! Good thing I brought my old ID with me. At first the CM seemed ok. We had requested the football section, ground floor and our requests were met. But when I asked her about our 2 day base ticket that we had to purchase in order to get free dining, she started talking to me like I was a moron. Sorry lady, but I don’t understand how it all works. I DON’T WORK HERE! YOU DO! Which Is why I’m asking you. Basically I asked her if our tickets were on our Key to The World card and if I could get them taken off that and put on a separate ticket, like when you just buy your park pass from guest services. She told me “No, the tickets are on there. It’s a package!” with a very snarky attitude. I told her I figured that would be the case but told her we have annual passes. This was where she rudely interrupted me and said “Then just don’t use the room key to get into the parks!!” Ummmm, ok, but how would I use the tickets in the future? Just bring that same room key when I wanted to put it towards my annual pass next year? “You would save it! Just like you would any other ticket!” At that point I was sick of her attitude and I sharply said “OK! Thanks!” took my packet and walked away. She did NOT have the friendly attitude I would expect from a Disney employee. There was no need to talk to me like she did. I’ve never booked a package so I don’t know how it works. I understand you get asked the same questions every day probably but this is the first time I am asking it. No need to be nasty with me. I think they need to sprinkle her with some pixie dust or something, make her a little more friendly.

So after a not so nice first encounter, we took stopped in the food court to pick up our refillable mugs. We have 4 mugs already at our house and if they weren’t free with the dining plan, we probably wouldn’t have gotten them. Honestly, we probably would have brought our ones from May and used those. Don’t hate. I know you’re not supposed to use them past your stay but we just got them 4 months ago. And we don’t use them that often. At least we’re not using the old ones from like 5 years ago or even older ones back when they had resort specific mugs (both of which I saw being done.) We then took our stuff to the room.

football-1.jpg

We were room 121, a corner room. We were super close to the main building so that was awesome. I don’t think if we had booked a preferred room that we would have been much closer. We actually could have even been further away so I’m glad we saved our money, switched to a regular room and just requested the football section so thanks John @blackthidot for suggesting that. I’ll review our room and the resort in full at the end of the TR.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Of course I took a picture of the room. Just one. Because what trip report would be complete without at least one room picture! :)

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

After a quick change and a phone call from a CM at the front desk letting me know our DME driver had found my ID, we headed to the bus stop for our first park: Magic Kingdom! We had some Fast Pass Plus cards to trial!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
We fly over on the 8th of September and staying for 2weeks! I'm so excited!

Ye I've seen that there is a girls cruise I'd say that'll be AMAZING! You must be seriously looking forward to it! :happy:

Very exciting! Hope you have a wonderful time!! Are you staying on property?

Whoop half way!! Really hope you make it! go n-éirí an bóthar leat!!!
That means good luck in Irish!

Thank you!! My grandparents are both Irish! I would love to visit Ireland someday!! :)

dancingtodisney

Very exciting! Hope you have a wonderful time!! Are you staying on property?

Thank you!! My grandparents are both Irish! I would love to visit Ireland someday!! :)

We are only staying on property for 2nights, 14th and 15th and then we move to Hawthorn Suites near Universal. But for the first week of the trip we are in a house which is about a 10min drive to WDW

Next time I'd like to stay on property for longer but we are staying at both the house and the Suites for free because we have family over at the same time so you can't really say no to FREE! Plus I've also been to New York and Tokyo this year so I'm on a tighter budget!

Always good to have a bit of Irish in ya! You definitely should, my relatives from New York came over last year and loved it :joyfull:

Kristia

Thank you! I have no idea why I do it, but I for the life of me apparently cant take a straight photo. They ALL tilt to the right!!!! lol

I know, I am so late catching up, but if you have photoshop, they have an awesome straighten tool that has save a lot of my pictures. You do loose around the edges, depending how much you need to straighten. I can't take a non-crooked picture either. I am getting better though! Try to find horizontal line in your frame and use that as a guideline as to how to hold the camera.

Also have to mention that the Polynesian room is my fav in IASW too! Love the music and drums.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I know, I am so late catching up, but if you have photoshop, they have an awesome straighten tool that has save a lot of my pictures. You do loose around the edges, depending how much you need to straighten. I can't take a non-crooked picture either. I am getting better though! Try to find horizontal line in your frame and use that as a guideline as to how to hold the camera.

Also have to mention that the Polynesian room is my fav in IASW too! Love the music and drums.

Since I wrote that statement, I have located the straightening tool! I definitely need to work on it though while I'm actually taking the picture so I don't lose the edges when I fix it on the computer lol

Kristia

Yay! Finally caught up! Great to see the race starting and that you are halfway. It was so hot and humid for the marathon this year too and it really took its toll on me. It is tough when you aren't used to training in the weather that you have to race in!

Great pictures too! Love your early morning AK pics and your night DHS pics!

Joshua&CalebDad

Now, where we live, humidity really isn't a huge factor. In fact, I don't think we did a single training race when there was much humidity. Well according to my weather app, it was 70 degrees with 85% HUMIDITY!!!! And it was 10 o'clock at night. I worried this would factor into how well we would run. Sad to say, it did. I'll explain more throughout the race.

That sounds about what it was this morning when I ran, 70 degrees with 85% humidity. By the way I live in SC which is known for its high humidity. Hopefully this will prepare me.

Looking forward to seeing how your race ends.

meyeet

I enjoyed participated in the morning 5K as well and the humidity was a killer! That path through the woods at WWoS was getting pretty muddy during the 5K, hopefully they cleaned it up a little in time for the 10 miler.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I enjoyed participated in the morning 5K as well and the humidity was a killer! That path through the woods at WWoS was getting pretty muddy during the 5K, hopefully they cleaned it up a little in time for the 10 miler.

I did the 5K that morning, too! It was very tough, was not used to that kind of humidity.

@dancingtodisney, I was in Ireland last month--celebrated my birthday with "gatherings" ;) of my aunts, uncles and cousins on both sides of my family, was in Dublin, Drogheda, Roscommon & Galway.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
OK ladies and gents... we're back in business!! I need to get this thing done so I can write two more reports.... Aaaahhhhhhhhh!!! I'm going to actually write the others first and then post it all at once! Probably easier that way. Then I don't leave you all hanging for like... ohhhh, a year or so! haha

Here we go.. back to the race!

We made it to the WWOS and the course widened a little bit. Thank goodness!! Another water stop and I grabbed a water and Powerade. Again, the water ended up being dumped over my head.

The grave diggers were really cool. They would drag their shovels on the ground and make sparks (like in the Boo To You parade - of you've seen that, it was just like that. If you haven't seen the Boo To You parade - GO SEE IT!! It's IMO, the BEST parade at WDW!)

Oh look!! We hit the 6 mile mark!!

I knew I could finish at this point. I was not going to stop!! OK, well maybe I would stop at that moment......

For a picture with Stitch!!!

He had such a short line and we hadn't stopped for any pictures so far. We knew we could meet Stitch in the parks but he's just so cute!!!

That little break was good for us and we continued on. We got an alert stating our new pace was 15:08 at the 10k. We had slowed down by over a minute, almost a minute and a half. The humidity was definitely taking it's toll on us. We were both sweating like crazy and I NEVER sweat when I run.

It was time to run through Champion Stadium. I thought this was cool as this is where the Atlanta Braves have their spring training and Ashley and I are huge baseball fans. So that was kind of cool. The signs people were holding were funny.

Soon we were out of WWOS and onto Victory Way. Soon we were seeing this:

Only 3 miles to go!!! We saw the Big Bad Wolf out but like every character except Stitch, he had a long line. So we kept going. There was another water stop and this time I only grabbed a water. We turned back onto Osceola Parkway heading back to the Studios.

Apparently I decided not to take many pictures between mile 7 and 8 because this is the next picture I have...

There was a med tent right after mile 8 on Osceola Parkway so I grabbed some Biofreeze and slathered my knee up. We were still mostly fast walking with some running thrown in here and there. We were both just so tired. We turned right to go down the exit ramp. We had run up this ramp at the beginning of the race. It felt like so long ago but really, it wasn't long at all.

Back into the Studios!! As we were running through the toll plaza, they were playing the song (or what I thought was the song) "Shots" by . I thought it was a little weird they would be playing a song, with swears, about drinking, taking shots and getting hammered during a 10 mile race, especially in a place like Disney... but the more of the song I heard, I realized it was a different version of the song and they were talking about taking shots, like in basketball. That made a little more sense. haha.

We turned and ran into the Lights, Motors, Action theater. Sorry the picture is so blurry but I didn't want to stop. We were so close to the end I could take it!

Just as we turned to head out of LMA... there it was! mile marker number 9!!! We had one mile to go!!! We were almost there!!!

We continued out of LMA and started down Streets of America. We turned left right by Sci Fi. Hi, Sci Fi! Bye Sci Fi!

As we approached the big hat, there was a dj there, and a large crowd of people cheering everyone on. The dj kept telling us we were almost there, only half a mile to go. I remember very clearly the song that was playing when we passed the hat. It was very fitting it seemed for the race. It's called 'Let's Go" by David Guetta and Neyo. It's a very upbeat dance song. I remember getting chills as I looked over at Ashley. At the same time, we both just started to run. It was like that song gave us the boost we needed to finish. In case you've never heard the song, here are some of the lyrics. It's a very motivational song!

Hey it's now or never
Lets go
Tomorrow's good tonight is better
Ohhhh lets go

There is no better time
I'm talking here and now
I'm talking here and now
Lets go
Right now is where you shine
I'm talking here and now
I'm talking here and now

It's not about what you've done
It's about what you're doing
It's all about where you're going no matter where you've been
Lets go

We turned left and ran down by Toy Story Mania. Hook was out to the right just past TSM but we were too focused on making it to the finish line. We turned right and then right again and ran through the section of the Backlot Tour that passes the costuming department. I think I remember some big fans being on in here? Or maybe by that time I was just hallucinating? Who knows!! We reached the turn behind Rock N Roller Coaster and as we made the turn, there was the finish line and the tower looming in the background. We continued running and right before we crossed the finish line we grabbed hands and threw them up in the air. My eyes started watering and I think I started crying. We had done it!!! It hadn't been easy and we didn't train the way we wanted to, but we had finished! 10 miles.

We proceeded over to get our medals as "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey filled the air. The perfect song to cross the finish line to. A text came through and we had finished the race in 2:34:38. Our pace was 15:28. We had stayed under the 16 minute mile minimum they required so we were happy about that. Heck, at that point we were happy to have finished at all!

We set out to look for Mom. She was near the finish line somewhere. They were handing out Powerade, water and snack packs and where it was so humid, they were pretty much making everyone take a water and/or Powerade. I took a Powerade and drank a bit. It was at that point I realized just how tired I was and that I did not feel good at all. We headed up to the restrooms by Fantasmic as that's where they were herding everyone to. I went in to the bathroom to go pee but I knew as soon as I got in there I was going to be sick. I feel like death. My knee was killing me, the back of my heels were starting to hurt and I was so nauseous.

When I came out of the bathroom we proceeded down to where they were taking pictures of runners with their medals. The picture came out good and I look somewhat decent. We did buy a few pictures (one of us with Stitch, one of us crossing the finish line and the one with our medals) but I can't locate them to scan them right now. Hopefully before I finish this up I'll find them. Why they aren't framed and hung up right now is beyond me.

I checked the texts on my phone and saw I had a couple from my cousin, Mom and a couple from John ( @blackthidot ) so I made sure to text him back and tell him I was still alive and had finished the race. Such a nice friend to check up on me!! We located Mom and i had her hold my stuff cause I needed to stop in the bathroom again. Ugh. I didn't even know if i would make it out of the park at this point. As much as we wanted to stay for the party, both of us had hurting lower limbs so we decided to go back to the hotel. The park was pretty crowded. We made it to the front entrance when I needed to make another bathroom stop. While I was in there another came in and got sick too. I know the humidity played a HUGE part in my getting sick but my aunt, who's a runner, says I could have over hydrated myself or I could have been dehydrated. Either one could have been a factor.

We made our way to the buses and I pretty much fell into a seat and hoped I could refrain from vomiting until we got back to the hotel. We arrived at All Star Sports and I pretty much fast walked / hobbled to the bathroom in the lobby. (When we went on our May trip, my sister joked, when we went into the bathroom, that the last stall was my stall. ha. Very funny)

We finally made it back to the room and I took my sneakers off and fell into bed. Mom put a trashcan next to my bed. (Thanks Mom!!! haha) and I pretty much passed out right away.

Sorry for all the yucky getting sick info, but I wanted to give an accurate report as to what happened. So those runners who may have never run the race before would know what to expect. Hopefully no one gets sick like I did though!!!! Looking back, as terrible as I felt then, it was worth it. That medal hangs proudly in my room now! :)

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
As much of a sap that I'm gonna sound like by admitting this, I just cried reading your last post. I'm proud of ya'll!

Awww Jess! Thanks!! Didn't mean to make you cry though!! lol I will admit, I teared up at a few parts writing it. It's just such a great accomplishment that I never thought I would ever do!! But I did it! Not everyone can say they ran 10 miles at Disney! :D

fractal

Your last update was awesome! I felt some of your joy as you ran to the finish and some of your pain afterwards.

I know what you mean about the humidity. On a cool crisp day I feel like I could run forever, but if it's really humid, I struggle to get a couple miles in. Congrats to you and Ashley for sucking it up and finishing!

jesemeca

Awww Jess! Thanks!! Didn't mean to make you cry though!! lol I will admit, I teared up at a few parts writing it. It's just such a great accomplishment that I never thought I would ever do!! But I did it! Not everyone can say they ran 10 miles at Disney! :D

Your welcome! No need to apologize! LOL. I don't have very many friends that live near by, so I have adopted ya'll as my girl friends! So it was great to see ya'll accomplish something you set out to do! And it makes me feel better that I finished my Sept/Oct 2012 trip report before you did. LOL. Just kidding.

TheMouseFan

Congrats on finishing the race! I tried to do some running/jogging this summer with the hope of participating in a Run Disney event, but running is just not my thing! I really tried, but I think the best I'll be able to do is jog/walk the 5K on Castaway Cay next June! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip (and your next two as well)!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Your last update was awesome! I felt some of your joy as you ran to the finish and some of your pain afterwards.

I know what you mean about the humidity. On a cool crisp day I feel like I could run forever, but if it's really humid, I struggle to get a couple miles in. Congrats to you and Ashley for sucking it up and finishing!

Thanks Chris! The humidity was the killer. It just feels like it's suffocating you at times. If it had been weather like we have up here in Maine on a summer evening, we would have done MUCH better!

Your welcome! No need to apologize! LOL. I don't have very many friends that live near by, so I have adopted ya'll as my girl friends! So it was great to see ya'll accomplish something you set out to do! And it makes me feel better that I finished my Sept/Oct 2012 trip report before you did. LOL. Just kidding.

Adopted friends! I like that theory! Because what's better than an adopted friend who likes Disney!! :D

And yeah, you definitely beat me on finishing your TR. I think about 100 people have finished TR's on trips that happened AFTER mine! haha

Congrats on finishing the race! I tried to do some running/jogging this summer with the hope of participating in a Run Disney event, but running is just not my thing! I really tried, but I think the best I'll be able to do is jog/walk the 5K on Castaway Cay next June! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip (and your next two as well)!!

thank you! :) I really don't think running is my thing either considering I haven't run since then. (Well, if you count the Castaway Cay 5k two weeks ago but I mostly walked that! Humidity and heat was killer on that one as well!)

PartOfYourWorld

Just saw that you finished posting the race!!!! Re-reading that brought me back to that time..can't believe in a few days time it will be 1 year since that race. Speaking of the 10-miler, Mike and I are going to dinner with a nother couple saturday and giving them running/disney tips because they are going there for the first time and to run the 10-miler!

And I appreciate you posting this now because training for the Princess starts Tuesday! uh oh so this definitely giving me motivation!

It was a bummer you were sick that night :( But so proud of you and Ashley for finishing!!!! :) Miss you guys!!!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Just saw that you finished posting the race!!!! Re-reading that brought me back to that time..can't believe in a few days time it will be 1 year since that race. Speaking of the 10-miler, Mike and I are going to dinner with a nother couple saturday and giving them running/disney tips because they are going there for the first time and to run the 10-miler!

And I appreciate you posting this now because training for the Princess starts Tuesday! uh oh so this definitely giving me motivation!

It was a bummer you were sick that night :( But so proud of you and Ashley for finishing!!!! :) Miss you guys!!!!

I just said the SAME thing to Ashley about it being a whole year since then. Time flies!!

I would have definitely taken some pointers had there been any to give regarding this race. But since it was the first one, no one had run it before. We were on our own! Of course there were the general pointers regarding Disney races as a whole, but I wish I had been prepared for that humidity!!

Good luck with the training! I'll be waiting for that TR! ;)

Miss you too!! Tell Mom and Mike hello! :)

ejsanta13

Great Job Darolyn!! Glad you guys were able to push through and finish, what a great accomplishment. Can't wait to run my 1st Disney race, gunning for the W&D next year as getting down there has been difficult with changes at work and stuff. Oh well, I'll keep to running in the NorthEast for now, but it's starting to get cold in the A.M......

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Great Job Darolyn!! Glad you guys were able to push through and finish, what a great accomplishment. Can't wait to run my 1st Disney race, gunning for the W&D next year as getting down there has been difficult with changes at work and stuff. Oh well, I'll keep to running in the NorthEast for now, but it's starting to get cold in the A.M......

Thanks so much!! :) It really felt so great to cross that finish line!! The W&D should be good! I hear there a beverage waiting for those over 21 who cross the finish line! That might be enough to motivate me! ;) haha and yes, it's FREEZING in the morning here!! Brrrrr!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom