Trip Report *DONE!* Take a dash of Food & Wine, a 30th birthday, some crayons, a 10 mile run and what do ya get?

.. A Tower of Terror 10 miler trip report of course!!! :)

Aloha boys and girls and welcome to my fall 2012 trip report!! I’ve decided to stop the trend of losing my vacation pictures starting with this TR. If you read my last 2 trip reports (well, one and a half since my May TR still isn’t finished… oops!!) you know that my sister accidentally deleted the last day of pictures after our November 2011 trip which included our Crystal Palace character breakfast, meet and greets with Aladdin, Jasmine, Davy Crockett Donald as well as a couple others.. Then while in the process of writing my May 2012 TR I lost my memory card and only the first 2 days worth of photos were saved :( Obviously, I don’t have good luck with vacation photos. HOWEVER - When I got home this time, I immediately saved them to my sister’s external hard drive and put the memory card in a safe place. We also ordered the Photopass CD and I took over 1300 pictures so needless to say this will be a picture infused trip report for sure!

If you’d like to read my PTR, you can find it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-crazy-a-tower-of-terror-10-miler-ptr.848349/

At first it was just going to be a long weekend trip to run our first Disney race: The Tower of Terror 10 Miler. Yes, you read that right. 10 miles! And I’m not a runner by any means but my sister and I signed up for the race in February. Clearly we are just crazy. Or we were just cold up here in snowy, frigid Maine and the thought of getting out of Maine for any reason seemed appealing at the time, even if it meant running (or fast walking) 10 miles. Training didn’t go as well as we had hoped and there were times we thought of dropping out cause let’s be real here, 10 miles is no short distance. The longest run I put in before the race was 5 miles. My hip acted up here and there and it hurt me to run sometimes. But we decided to give it a shot. The worst that could happen? We get swept but at least we could say we tried it. Besides, my gal pals Jess, Courtney and Shelley (@PartOfYourWorld @enchanted_belle and @Fashionista007 respectively) were going to be running as well. So I had some motivational support right there. I’m sure by now you’re probably wondering… Did I finish the race? You’ll have to read all about it to find out!! So who’s with me? Alright then… let’s get this thing rolling!!

Monday September 24 – Arrival day and our trial of Fast Pass Plus!
My alarm went off bright and early on Monday morning. Actually, it was more like dark and early since it was 3:20am. Mom and my grandmother would be there at 4am sharp to pick me up for our 1 mile commute to the airport. Our flight was at 5:40am and after researching the outgoing flights that morning and finding that 6 flights were leaving within 30 minutes of each other at our small little jetport, I decided we should be there by 4:15. That would give us a solid hour and a half before our flight to check our bag, get through security and maybe grab some breakfast. A little before 4, I let my pup Luca out and gave him lots of kisses as I would miss dearly while I was gone. I mean who wouldn’t miss this face?!

luca-1.jpg

Mom and Grams showed up and we loaded my stuff into the car and we were on our way (I should mention here that Ashley would not be flying in until Wednesday evening due to her not being able to get as much time off from work) I had already checked us in for our flight with AirTran so all we had to do was check our one bag, print our boarding pass and get through the security line…. Only there were no lines. No line to check the bag and maybe 3 people ahead of us at security. And here I thought the line would be huge with so many people traveling early. Oh well. Better safe than sorry. We had an hour and 15 minutes to kill so I grabbed a magazine and read.

It was still dark out when we took off and we made it to Baltimore without issues. We landed in BWI at 7:10 so we had about an hour or so before the next leg of the trip so I went and got us some Jamba Juice. Mmm….. yummy!!

When we went to board the plane to Orlando, the ticket lady scanned my ticket and then she told me that our seats had been changed. She handed me and my Mom new boarding passes and told us “Here sit in these 2 seats. They’re in business class” A free upgrade to business class? Heck yes!! The extra leg room was nice and we got some Milano cookies as opposed to mini pretzels. You didn’t get anything additional other than a little extra leg room and priority boarding. The extra leg room was DEFINITELY nice but the fact it was about $300 more each way than what we paid, it just didn’t seem worth it. The only thing separating business class and coach was a curtain behind the seats so it wasn’t like you were really secluded. Sorry but the additional $600 that business class cost could be better spent elsewhere… like a stay at the Polynesian :) It was nice though to try once, especially since it was free. Since we were close to the front of the plane, we were first to disembark when we landed in sunny Florida 14 minutes ahead of schedule. No waiting at the back of the plane. That was nice…

We headed straight for DME and there wasn’t really a long line. We hopped on the bus headed for the All Star Resort and at promptly 10:38am we were bound for the happiest place on earth!!!

mom-d-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Getting closer……
DSC_0006-1.jpg

We’re here!!!!!
DSC_0007-1.jpg

We stopped at Coronado Springs first and then All Star Sports. We were finally there and I was super excited. We walked right up to the online check in and checked in with a CM name Sena. At this point I realized I did not have my ID on me and it must have fallen off my lap on the bus. FAIL! Good thing I brought my old ID with me. At first the CM seemed ok. We had requested the football section, ground floor and our requests were met. But when I asked her about our 2 day base ticket that we had to purchase in order to get free dining, she started talking to me like I was a moron. Sorry lady, but I don’t understand how it all works. I DON’T WORK HERE! YOU DO! Which Is why I’m asking you. Basically I asked her if our tickets were on our Key to The World card and if I could get them taken off that and put on a separate ticket, like when you just buy your park pass from guest services. She told me “No, the tickets are on there. It’s a package!” with a very snarky attitude. I told her I figured that would be the case but told her we have annual passes. This was where she rudely interrupted me and said “Then just don’t use the room key to get into the parks!!” Ummmm, ok, but how would I use the tickets in the future? Just bring that same room key when I wanted to put it towards my annual pass next year? “You would save it! Just like you would any other ticket!” At that point I was sick of her attitude and I sharply said “OK! Thanks!” took my packet and walked away. She did NOT have the friendly attitude I would expect from a Disney employee. There was no need to talk to me like she did. I’ve never booked a package so I don’t know how it works. I understand you get asked the same questions every day probably but this is the first time I am asking it. No need to be nasty with me. I think they need to sprinkle her with some pixie dust or something, make her a little more friendly.

So after a not so nice first encounter, we took stopped in the food court to pick up our refillable mugs. We have 4 mugs already at our house and if they weren’t free with the dining plan, we probably wouldn’t have gotten them. Honestly, we probably would have brought our ones from May and used those. Don’t hate. I know you’re not supposed to use them past your stay but we just got them 4 months ago. And we don’t use them that often. At least we’re not using the old ones from like 5 years ago or even older ones back when they had resort specific mugs (both of which I saw being done.) We then took our stuff to the room.

football-1.jpg

We were room 121, a corner room. We were super close to the main building so that was awesome. I don’t think if we had booked a preferred room that we would have been much closer. We actually could have even been further away so I’m glad we saved our money, switched to a regular room and just requested the football section so thanks John @blackthidot for suggesting that. I’ll review our room and the resort in full at the end of the TR.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Of course I took a picture of the room. Just one. Because what trip report would be complete without at least one room picture! :)

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

After a quick change and a phone call from a CM at the front desk letting me know our DME driver had found my ID, we headed to the bus stop for our first park: Magic Kingdom! We had some Fast Pass Plus cards to trial!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Lol! I will check them all! And off course love them all! I love reading about other peoples trips.... since the chance that I will be in WDW in the (near) future is not that big.. but hey we have Paris, a good substitue :) You can read about our trip last August in the DLP trip report. And I also post pictures from my earlier trips in the following tread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dlp-photo-of-the-day-thread.862895/page-3

Maybe check it out and enjoy :)

I will definitely check it out! We're hoping to get to DLP in 2015! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I have been following this trip report for quite a while now. My wife is a runner and does the Princess half marathon each year with a group of friends. It's a girl's trip each February. Just as well as I don't run unless a mean person is chasing me.
Your photos are excellent, especially the Illuminations pics. We are staying at BLT in Sept. and I am thinking about taking my tripod for pics of Wishes from Top of the World Lounge, though they probably won't be as good as your fireworks pics @derelicte19

Wow, that's impressive that she does the Princess half! Good for her!! :)

Thanks for the compliments on the pics! I enjoy photography and it doesn't hurt that Disey is a very photogenic place!! We are also staying at BLT in Sept. Our first time there! I'm looking forward to it!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I sent in a time from a 10k that I did in May that had me finishing in just under a 10 minute/mile. I have yet to hear what corral I will be in. That information should come out in the next week or two; I am hoping for corral B/C. I seriously doubt I will be in Corral A, that's for the hard core runners, maybe someday.

Had I trained all summer I would have tried to finish the race in 90 minutes (9 minute/mile) but I was lazy and didn't run over the summer. I just started up again in the last month. So far so good.

I have thought a little about the photo ops. I have a Garmin Watch, which means I won't take my phone with me so no pictures that way. I do have a small waterproof camera but I am not used to carrying anything when I run. I do have a running belt that I use for supplements; maybe I should see if the camera will somehow fit on the belt so that I can stop for pictures along the way.

You should definitely get good corral placement then! :) My sister carried the camera and I carried my phone on an arm band so we knew twhat how we were doing on time. Not that I ended up needing it as everyone around us had watches and they all seemed to beep at the same time to indicate start running so we just followed everyone else! lol We did also end up purchasing 4 photos from the race. They weren't as pricey as I thought they were going to be. The camera we used during the race didn't take the best pics so we ordered some.

Allym146

Wow D! There isn't a bad pic in this bunch. Really NICE work on these.

As far as that woman with the kids during Illuminations....I'm afraid that's your fault. I think if you think about it you'll realize that It's her vacation, she paid for it, and god d*mn she's going to get her money's worth you and the rest of the people there that night should know that.

Ok now let's switch from sarcasm to rude logic. If her lovely little spawn is legally blind...does it really matter where she's 'viewing' Illuminations from? Sorry to anyone blind that's readi.....Oh wait never mind.

This is rude...but not logic. Only 10% of people deemed legally blind have no vision, and the other 90% could be reading your post. Shocker!!!

That woman did act like a jerk though.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This is rude...but not logic. Only 10% of people deemed legally blind have no vision, and the other 90% could be reading your post. Shocker!!!

That woman did act like a jerk though.

I've got another statistic:100% of the people (even the legally blind ones) should know when I'm joking around. ;)
Again my apologies to anyone blind reading this post.

FlaggNL

I will definitely check it out! We're hoping to get to DLP in 2015! :)

That's cool :) By that time the new (they are building now) Ratatouille attraction will be fully working! Maybe by then they are expanding in another new attraction... although after the Ratatouille addition rumours are that WDC had stopped all future plans, because they are working on a new masterplan for DPL... let's hope so :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I took a nap back at the hotel. I didn't think I would actually fall asleep but I did. This is my "don't talk to me, I just woke up" face haha

When we got up, we got ready, got our things together and then headed down to the food court to get some dinner. I got a bagel and tried to eat as much as I could. I was nervous so I only managed like 3/4 of it.

So we figured it was time to head to the bus.

Running sneakers: CHECK!
Bib: CHECK!
Energy gels: CHECK!
Bottle of water: CHECK!
Banana to eat while we were waiting in the corral: CHECK!
iPhone and camera: CHECK!

We were ready as we would ever be! So we headed out to the bus. The line was really long but it moved quickly and soon we were on our way to HS!!

It was pretty busy when we got there, though I knew in a little bit a lot more people would be showing up. I think 12,000 runners were scheduled to participate. I know this is a small number compared to marathon weekend in January, though. There was a dj playing music to get the crowd pumped. We set out in search for @enchanted_belle !!

For those of you who are curious, here is a map of the race.

We found Courtney and her friend and we sat down and talked for a bit. We decided to go see the rest of Team Studios Central which included @Fashionista007 and @PartOfYourWorld :)

We found them and snapped some photos since we were all not in the same starting corals. YAY Team SC!!! :)

Shell and me! :)

We headed back over to the coral as everyone started to get ready. I ate my banana and stretched out.

Ashley decided she had to go to the bathroom so she headed to the massive porta potty lines. We made some friends who were dressed as the evil step-sisters from Cinderella. They were really nice. While Ashley was gone to the bathroom, the corral's opened up and we began making our way to the starting line. Uh-oh... People were all moving forward and squishing together and I wasn't sure Ashley would find us! We texted back and forth and finally she found us! PHEW!!

Sisters!!!!

@PartOfYourWorld brought some glow bracelets so we rocked those.

All the people in front of us at the starting line. It was almost time!!!

Joshua&CalebDad

All the people in front of us at the starting line. It was almost time!!!

Okay seriously, just seeing that picture just made me sick. How could anyone possibly make their way through that mess and pick up enough speed to get a pace going. I am not claustrophobic by any stretch of the imagination but now I am getting scared.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Okay seriously, just seeing that picture just made me sick. How could anyone possibly make their way through that mess and pick up enough speed to get a pace going. I am not claustrophobic by any stretch of the imagination but now I am getting scared.

They didn't all go at the same time. Corral A went, then 5 minutes later Corral B went... then 5 minutes later C went.. and so on. It was a little rough for maybe the first quarter mile, if that. Mostly just getting through the toll plaza at the entrance/exit to DHS (the secondary entrance on World Dr.) but then the slower people moved to the side and the runners made their way through. It wasn't so bad because all the fastest people were in Corral A. by the time you got down to me in D, you had the slower people. And I don't think they start timing the "16 minute mile" unilt the last Corral has gone. So if you're in Corral B, you'll be at least 10 minutes into the race before they start timing.

Ariel484

Woohoo! Excited to read about the race. Love seeing the pictures of the WDWMagic girls. :)
HIJACK (sorry Darolyn! :)): The hard truth is that (in my opinion) you have to adjust your expectations for Disney races. They are crowded, have lots of first-timers that aren't familiar with proper race etiquette (don't get off to the side when walking, etc.) and parts of the courses get pretty narrow - especially in the theme parks. So yes, the combination of all of these things probably will keep you from running to your full potential pace-wise. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

In return you get fantastic on-course entertainment, the chance to run through Disney theme parks, wonderful volunteers and a really fun environment. Just prepare yourself for the realities of the race and you'll have a great time.

...and submit a time for corral placement. That'll help. :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Woohoo! Excited to read about the race. Love seeing the pictures of the WDWMagic girls. :)

HIJACK (sorry Darolyn! :)): The hard truth is that (in my opinion) you have to adjust your expectations for Disney races. They are crowded, have lots of first-timers that aren't familiar with proper race etiquette (don't get off to the side when walking, etc.) and parts of the courses get pretty narrow - especially in the theme parks. So yes, the combination of all of these things probably will keep you from running to your full potential pace-wise. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

In return you get fantastic on-course entertainment, the chance to run through Disney theme parks, wonderful volunteers and a really fun environment. Just prepare yourself for the realities of the race and you'll have a great time.

...and submit a time for corral placement. That'll help. :)

haha, no worries about hijacking my thread!! Luckily, we didn't run through any of the parks except for HS and that was at the very end. Most of the running was on the roadway. There was one part we found to be REALLY narrow and that was running from the road, down this dirt path into WWOS. And when I say really narrow, I mean REALLY narrow. People were walking and runners couldn't get past them. Other than that, we didn't have much bad luck not being able to get past people. I can't speak for any of the other race though, but I know @Ariel484 has run a bunch of them so she knows what she's talking about! ;)

And yes the on course entertainment was pretty cool (I'll share my full review about that later on) and the volunteers were EXCELLENT. There were several moments where I thought "I can't do this anymore. I'm going to quit" and someone standing on the side of the road or handing out water would yell out some encouragement and it would give me the extra push I needed to keep going.

How cool are those pictures of all the WDWMagic runners!

It was really cool to finally see so many people that I talk to so frequently on here :)

diddy_mouse

There were several moments where I thought "I can't do this anymore. I'm going to quit" and someone standing on the side of the road or handing out water would yell out some encouragement and it would give me the extra push I needed to keep going.

Something as simple as this could be all it takes to get you to the finish line. I know I had that happen on a 10K I did after sluggishly heading up a massive hill. Those volunteers really help get you through when you need it!

Love seeing the pics of the WDWMagic girls! Can't wait to read how the race went for you!

PartOfYourWorld

Yay!!!! You started posting the race! Can't wait to see what your perspective was on it!

There was crazy amounts of people at that race! But I guess it will be nothing compared to what I'll see at the Princess Half next year! We'll see. How were you with bringing a banana? I didn't carry any food or gels with me. Not sure if I should have or not.

And way to go TEAM SC!!! :) Love the glow bracelets ;)

dancingtodisney

OMG so excited to see how the race goes for you! Have really enjoyed reading your trip report the last few days, so detailed and your pictures are gorgeous! You’ve definitely given me a few ideas for my trip in two weeks and also was thinking about signing up for a run in 2014, will be checking out your updates on this run and see if it’s for me! I’ll be coming all the way from Ireland so want to choose the right one!

I think it’s awesome that you guys have been following each others reports and stuff and then met up over in WDW that’s pretty cool! Looking forward to the next instalment! :):)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Yay!!!! You started posting the race! Can't wait to see what your perspective was on it!

There was crazy amounts of people at that race! But I guess it will be nothing compared to what I'll see at the Princess Half next year! We'll see. How were you with bringing a banana? I didn't carry any food or gels with me. Not sure if I should have or not.

And way to go TEAM SC!!! :) Love the glow bracelets ;)

Getting ready to post the race portion now!! Ahhhhhh!!! :) Yeah, the Princess Half will be NUTS!!!!

I ate the banana before the race and I think it helped. We brought several gels. I think I only took 1. haha

OMG so excited to see how the race goes for you! Have really enjoyed reading your trip report the last few days, so detailed and your pictures are gorgeous! You’ve definitely given me a few ideas for my trip in two weeks and also was thinking about signing up for a run in 2014, will be checking out your updates on this run and see if it’s for me! I’ll be coming all the way from Ireland so want to choose the right one!

I think it’s awesome that you guys have been following each others reports and stuff and then met up over in WDW that’s pretty cool! Looking forward to the next instalment! :):)

Thanks for reading along! I promise to have it finished before I leave on my trip next week!! When will you be there? Maybe we will be there at the same time!! :)

I've met several people from this site! Actually, I don't know if you have read about it on here or not, but about 30 of us are going on a cruise Sept 8-12 :) It's the first UnOfficial WDWMagic Girls Cruise so there will be lots of us down there at the world after the cruise! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I was starting to get a little nervous as the National Anthem began.... It was so surreal. Here I was at my first Disney race, waiting for it to begin!! Just a note here, I was using a not so great point and shoot camera during the race. Ashley couldn't find her charger before the trip but luckily Mom had a spare smaller point and shoot. So my pictures during this race will not be great (or even good) quality! So please bear with me!! lol

Looking nervous... What did we get ourselves into?!?

Ashley was listening to some music but I think once the race started she turned it off. There was so much to see that she didn't want to miss any of it!!

Now, where we live, humidity really isn't a huge factor. In fact, I don't think we did a single training race when there was much humidity. Well according to my weather app, it was 70 degrees with 85% HUMIDITY!!!! And it was 10 o'clock at night. I worried this would factor into how well we would run. Sad to say, it did. I'll explain more throughout the race.

Before we knew it, they were signaling the wheelchair division to start. On the count of three!! Three... Two... One!!! The Inaugural Tower of Terror 10 Miler had begun!!!

The corrals moved forward... after 5 minutes corral A started.... 5 minutes later corral B. Then corral C. We inched forward and waited for our turn.

After 5 minutes they were counting us down. Three... two.... one.... and we're OFF!! We slowly started out of Hollywood Studios. We had to go through the toll plaza and there were speed bumps to maneuver around. There was an announcement playing signaling us to watch out for them. Even so, I still saw a couple people stumble. Including Ashley! haha.

We passed through the toll plaza and out the entrance.

We could see the trail of runners ahead of us turning up onto the World Drive exit ramp and over the bridge towards the out and back. Ugh... the out and back.... lol We had decided on a one minute run, 30 second walk. We managed to keep this up for the first mile. YAY! One mile down!!!

A little note here that as we passed the first mile, the first runners were coming BACK on the other side of the road. Craziness!! There was a water stop right after Mile 1 offering powerade and water. We took some water and continued on. We kept up with the one minute run, 30 second walk as we headed down the out and back. This was by FAR the WORST part of the race. There wasn't a lot of entertainment along here. There was a DJ in the middle of the median playing some music and trying to pump the crowd up. He would say things like "Hey three miles down!!!!!" and then he would turn over to us and say "Not you guys! You've still got 8 miles to go!!" It was really funny.

A few minutes later we saw this beauty..... 2 miles down!!

The humidity was starting to get to me a little. I was already covered in sweat. The air was very thick. But we pressed on. Soon we saw this...

Told you it wouldn't be the last time was saw Animal Kingdom! :D There was another water station and some porta potties right before we began to turn to head back to Osceola Parkway. We took some water this time. I drank half and dumped the other half on me. It was HOT!

Mile 3 was coming up fast. The hyenas and Scar from Lion King were in here somewhere but the line was pretty long so we pressed on.

We received a text on our phone after the first 3k... Pace was 13:45. We had done the first 5k in 42 minutes and 44 seconds. Not too bad! We were predicted to finish at 12:33 pm. Let me tell you right now, that did NOT happen!

It was right around mile 3 that I started to get a little tired. Not physically, but because the humidity was so bad, it was starting to wear me down. This was a LOT harder than I thought it was going to be. Between miles 3 and 4, we passed the exit to the All Star resorts. How easy would it be to just bear right off the exit and run right back to the hotel room. I thought about it. I even mentioned it to Ashley. She said it was a good idea. But we continued on. Cause we're NOT quitters!!

We started up the hill over the bridge. We decided to walk this one for a bit. There was a guy standing off to the side of the bridge, stretching out on the railing. As we passed by someone yelled "Don't do it! Don't jump! It's only a race!!" That made us laugh. When we got to the top of the hill and started down the other side of the bridge, we picked up the pace. There were volunteers here cheering us on. They were yelling out various things like "You can do it!!" " Keep it up!!" "Don't stop!!" It was definitely a good motivator to keep going.

Here is mile 4!! Almost half way there!!

We passed by Dr. Facilier but again, his line was long and we didn't want to risk stopping and getting swept (though I think looking back, we would have been fine)

It was right around this time that I started to get a pain in my right knee. This was weird. I had never had issues with my knees when running before. My hip, yes. My hip used to get really sore. Tonight, my hip felt fine but my knee was starting to hurt. Shortly after we passed mile 4, there was a water station. I took a Powerade and a water. I drank the Powerade and dumped the water on me. There was a med tent coming up so I moved over to the side and got a squirt of Biofreeze and slathered it on my knee. We had abandoned the plan of 1 minute run, 30 second walk and had now started with the run whenever we can, fast walk the rest plan. I was so ready to give up again. I kept looking behind us for the sweeper trucks because I was sure we were going so slow. We really weren't but I thought we were. There was still lots of people behind us.

After the med tent was the turn into the Wide World of Sports. This is where the course got REALLY narrow. It was a dirt pathway that was no more than 5 people wide. People were running and then stopping to walk and not moving to the side. People were getting really frustrated because it was difficult to maneuver. There were some cool things set up on the sides.

Shortly onto the dirt path we came upon this beauty.... We were half way there!!!

dancingtodisney

Thanks for reading along! I promise to have it finished before I leave on my trip next week!! When will you be there? Maybe we will be there at the same time!! :)

I've met several people from this site! Actually, I don't know if you have read about it on here or not, but about 30 of us are going on a cruise Sept 8-12 :) It's the first UnOfficial WDWMagic Girls Cruise so there will be lots of us down there at the world after the cruise! :)

We fly over on the 8th of September and staying for 2weeks! I'm so excited!

Ye I've seen that there is a girls cruise I'd say that'll be AMAZING! You must be seriously looking forward to it! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom