Trip Report *DONE!* Take a dash of Food & Wine, a 30th birthday, some crayons, a 10 mile run and what do ya get?

.. A Tower of Terror 10 miler trip report of course!!! :)

Aloha boys and girls and welcome to my fall 2012 trip report!! I’ve decided to stop the trend of losing my vacation pictures starting with this TR. If you read my last 2 trip reports (well, one and a half since my May TR still isn’t finished… oops!!) you know that my sister accidentally deleted the last day of pictures after our November 2011 trip which included our Crystal Palace character breakfast, meet and greets with Aladdin, Jasmine, Davy Crockett Donald as well as a couple others.. Then while in the process of writing my May 2012 TR I lost my memory card and only the first 2 days worth of photos were saved :( Obviously, I don’t have good luck with vacation photos. HOWEVER - When I got home this time, I immediately saved them to my sister’s external hard drive and put the memory card in a safe place. We also ordered the Photopass CD and I took over 1300 pictures so needless to say this will be a picture infused trip report for sure!

If you’d like to read my PTR, you can find it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-crazy-a-tower-of-terror-10-miler-ptr.848349/

At first it was just going to be a long weekend trip to run our first Disney race: The Tower of Terror 10 Miler. Yes, you read that right. 10 miles! And I’m not a runner by any means but my sister and I signed up for the race in February. Clearly we are just crazy. Or we were just cold up here in snowy, frigid Maine and the thought of getting out of Maine for any reason seemed appealing at the time, even if it meant running (or fast walking) 10 miles. Training didn’t go as well as we had hoped and there were times we thought of dropping out cause let’s be real here, 10 miles is no short distance. The longest run I put in before the race was 5 miles. My hip acted up here and there and it hurt me to run sometimes. But we decided to give it a shot. The worst that could happen? We get swept but at least we could say we tried it. Besides, my gal pals Jess, Courtney and Shelley (@PartOfYourWorld @enchanted_belle and @Fashionista007 respectively) were going to be running as well. So I had some motivational support right there. I’m sure by now you’re probably wondering… Did I finish the race? You’ll have to read all about it to find out!! So who’s with me? Alright then… let’s get this thing rolling!!

Monday September 24 – Arrival day and our trial of Fast Pass Plus!
My alarm went off bright and early on Monday morning. Actually, it was more like dark and early since it was 3:20am. Mom and my grandmother would be there at 4am sharp to pick me up for our 1 mile commute to the airport. Our flight was at 5:40am and after researching the outgoing flights that morning and finding that 6 flights were leaving within 30 minutes of each other at our small little jetport, I decided we should be there by 4:15. That would give us a solid hour and a half before our flight to check our bag, get through security and maybe grab some breakfast. A little before 4, I let my pup Luca out and gave him lots of kisses as I would miss dearly while I was gone. I mean who wouldn’t miss this face?!

luca-1.jpg

Mom and Grams showed up and we loaded my stuff into the car and we were on our way (I should mention here that Ashley would not be flying in until Wednesday evening due to her not being able to get as much time off from work) I had already checked us in for our flight with AirTran so all we had to do was check our one bag, print our boarding pass and get through the security line…. Only there were no lines. No line to check the bag and maybe 3 people ahead of us at security. And here I thought the line would be huge with so many people traveling early. Oh well. Better safe than sorry. We had an hour and 15 minutes to kill so I grabbed a magazine and read.

It was still dark out when we took off and we made it to Baltimore without issues. We landed in BWI at 7:10 so we had about an hour or so before the next leg of the trip so I went and got us some Jamba Juice. Mmm….. yummy!!

When we went to board the plane to Orlando, the ticket lady scanned my ticket and then she told me that our seats had been changed. She handed me and my Mom new boarding passes and told us “Here sit in these 2 seats. They’re in business class” A free upgrade to business class? Heck yes!! The extra leg room was nice and we got some Milano cookies as opposed to mini pretzels. You didn’t get anything additional other than a little extra leg room and priority boarding. The extra leg room was DEFINITELY nice but the fact it was about $300 more each way than what we paid, it just didn’t seem worth it. The only thing separating business class and coach was a curtain behind the seats so it wasn’t like you were really secluded. Sorry but the additional $600 that business class cost could be better spent elsewhere… like a stay at the Polynesian :) It was nice though to try once, especially since it was free. Since we were close to the front of the plane, we were first to disembark when we landed in sunny Florida 14 minutes ahead of schedule. No waiting at the back of the plane. That was nice…

We headed straight for DME and there wasn’t really a long line. We hopped on the bus headed for the All Star Resort and at promptly 10:38am we were bound for the happiest place on earth!!!

mom-d-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Getting closer……
DSC_0006-1.jpg

We’re here!!!!!
DSC_0007-1.jpg

We stopped at Coronado Springs first and then All Star Sports. We were finally there and I was super excited. We walked right up to the online check in and checked in with a CM name Sena. At this point I realized I did not have my ID on me and it must have fallen off my lap on the bus. FAIL! Good thing I brought my old ID with me. At first the CM seemed ok. We had requested the football section, ground floor and our requests were met. But when I asked her about our 2 day base ticket that we had to purchase in order to get free dining, she started talking to me like I was a moron. Sorry lady, but I don’t understand how it all works. I DON’T WORK HERE! YOU DO! Which Is why I’m asking you. Basically I asked her if our tickets were on our Key to The World card and if I could get them taken off that and put on a separate ticket, like when you just buy your park pass from guest services. She told me “No, the tickets are on there. It’s a package!” with a very snarky attitude. I told her I figured that would be the case but told her we have annual passes. This was where she rudely interrupted me and said “Then just don’t use the room key to get into the parks!!” Ummmm, ok, but how would I use the tickets in the future? Just bring that same room key when I wanted to put it towards my annual pass next year? “You would save it! Just like you would any other ticket!” At that point I was sick of her attitude and I sharply said “OK! Thanks!” took my packet and walked away. She did NOT have the friendly attitude I would expect from a Disney employee. There was no need to talk to me like she did. I’ve never booked a package so I don’t know how it works. I understand you get asked the same questions every day probably but this is the first time I am asking it. No need to be nasty with me. I think they need to sprinkle her with some pixie dust or something, make her a little more friendly.

So after a not so nice first encounter, we took stopped in the food court to pick up our refillable mugs. We have 4 mugs already at our house and if they weren’t free with the dining plan, we probably wouldn’t have gotten them. Honestly, we probably would have brought our ones from May and used those. Don’t hate. I know you’re not supposed to use them past your stay but we just got them 4 months ago. And we don’t use them that often. At least we’re not using the old ones from like 5 years ago or even older ones back when they had resort specific mugs (both of which I saw being done.) We then took our stuff to the room.

football-1.jpg

We were room 121, a corner room. We were super close to the main building so that was awesome. I don’t think if we had booked a preferred room that we would have been much closer. We actually could have even been further away so I’m glad we saved our money, switched to a regular room and just requested the football section so thanks John @blackthidot for suggesting that. I’ll review our room and the resort in full at the end of the TR.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Of course I took a picture of the room. Just one. Because what trip report would be complete without at least one room picture! :)

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

After a quick change and a phone call from a CM at the front desk letting me know our DME driver had found my ID, we headed to the bus stop for our first park: Magic Kingdom! We had some Fast Pass Plus cards to trial!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Hello...... I love the crayon costumes. Glad you had a great time. We did two MNSSHP parties a couple of years ago, they are a blast! Boo to you is my favorite parade! Now waiting for more.
Tell Mom I said hi!!!! Have fun on your next trip!

The Halloween party really is fun! Boo To You is a GREAT parade. Second for me only behind Spectro!! :)

Mom says hello! :)

Crayons! I think @LuvsTheMouse made me a few crayola crayon costumes for Halloween!!!

hahaha I think my favorite picture is of Tarzan picking bugs out of Ashley's hair!

haha I love that picture too!! ;)

Tiggerfanatic

Great TR! And I LOVED your costumes! That Tarzan is pretty good, but not as good as the one we saw on the Dream!

Can't wait til next year's cruise with the WDWMagic Girls and I'm planning on my first ever Halloween party. Since I have almost a year to think up a costume, I'll probably come up with something about 3 days before we leave!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Great TR! And I LOVED your costumes! That Tarzan is pretty good, but not as good as the one we saw on the Dream!

Can't wait til next year's cruise with the WDWMagic Girls and I'm planning on my first ever Halloween party. Since I have almost a year to think up a costume, I'll probably come up with something about 3 days before we leave!

The one on the Dream.... He sure WAS a Dream!! ;)

The Halloween party is just so much fun :) I'm so bummed I can't join in on the fun again next year but HOPEFULLY 2015 I'll be back!! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
So as @Disney_Belle has pointed out to me, this might be the longest trip report in the history of trip reports! haha. Good news though!! I got a new photo editing program which has made my editing soooo much easier than the free one I was using online!! So I am finishing up the last of the photos and should have it up and finished this week! I'm going to finish it all and then post it in one big chunk! :)

BrerPete

So as @Disney_Belle has pointed out to me, this might be the longest trip report in the history of trip reports! haha. Good news though!! I got a new photo editing program which has made my editing soooo much easier than the free one I was using online!! So I am finishing up the last of the photos and should have it up and finished this week! I'm going to finish it all and then post it in one big chunk! :)

I think The Odyssey may have been shorter but no pictures.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Alright, I'm going to finish this bad boy up tonight so here we go!!!

We took a pit stop in one of the stores on Main Street before we headed to Town Square. When we came out, the parade was just about there. We were shocked to see plenty of open space so we figured, what the heck? Let's watch it!!

My favorite gal Daisy!

The gang from Hundred Acre Wood did'n't have costumes on :(

Hello, Captain!!

Love the nod to Haunted Mansion in this parade! The gravediggers are my FAVORITE!!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
After the parade, we hit the princess room.

Cinderella and her prince were asking about our medals

Flynn was very interested in Ashley's bling. No clue what Rapunzel and I were talking about.. lol

When we came out, it was time for Hallowishes. I forgot my tripod so I just took a couple pics without it. Nothing too spectacular.

Then it was off to see my favorite prince... Aladdin!! Abu was with him!

After that we headed back to Main Street to get a snack and head out as we were pretty tired. It was pretty early but we had done all we wanted to do. When we were in the confectionery, we remembered the headless horseman rides before the parade! We totally forgot about him earlier! We had heard how awesome it was so I headed outside and sat down on the curb to wait for the parade since it was scheduled to start soon. After a few minutes we were told since it had been raining, he wouldn't be riding. Boooooo! :( Apparently he hadn't ridden before the first parade either. We decided to stop in and see everyone's favorite mouse before we left.

Mickey and Minnie looked fab as usual! :)

We headed out of the park with our bag of candy and said one last goodbye to the Magic Kingdom for this trip. We still had one more morning to spend in the parks the next day, but we wouldn't be in the Magic Kingdom. We had a birthday to celebrate at another park!!

The train station looked so spooky and eerie.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Monday October 1 - Happy 30th birthday, Epcot!!!

We woke up early on Monday and got ready to check out. We said goodbye to our room at All Star Sports, checked our bags with bell services and headed for the bus stop. We wanted to get to Epcot a little early since we knew it would be busy.

Hello, Spaceship Earth!

We didn't have much of a plan for that day. I wanted some merchandise, but when I saw the line I said "no chance!" The line started at Mouse Gears and was all the way down to the front gate. Here is only part of the line....

I did end up getting an Epcot 30 phone case for Christmas from my sister last year! Too bad I have the 5c now and it only fits a 4 :(

I don't have any notes from today so I'm not really sure what we did before the food and wine festival opened. I know we got a cool button and old school park map! YAY!! We rode Spaceship Earth and went to meet a couple of munks!

Chip kept pulling me and Ashley away from Dale. Poor Dale! :(

We headed over to the UK to start our Food and Wine Festival tour! I didn't see anything I wanted in that area but Ashley wanted to try the lava cake at Ireland. She said it was yummy.

We stopped at Argentina (I think?) And I got the beef skewer. It was really good. I didn't care much for the bonito puree though.

We then apparently stopped and got wine somewhere. Can never go wrong with a good white wine!

After some wine, we stopped at Scandinavia for some Fairy Tale Cuvee! Favorite champagne ever! We then stopped at Germany for some Apple Strudel. It was very good!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
We trekked along and I managed too get ahold of Enzo. He had been waiting in line for the Epcot merch and was working his way around World Showcase starting in Canada so we decided we would meet somewhere in the middle. Our next stop was at America. I had my eye on the lobster claw and Ashley wanted to try out the dessert there. I forget the name now but it was something with pumpkin and craisins. She enjoyed it.

My lobster claw was terrible. When I cracked it open, it was full of salt water. It was cold and rubbery. And yes, I am allowed to be critical of lobster. I'm from Maine. We know lobster and this was just not good. I ended up throwing it away.

We continued on and I stopped in New Zealand for a scallop and radish salad. So super yummy!

I also picked up some Baklava! It was nice and sweet.

It started to sprinkle a little bit so we sat in Morocco. It stopped after a few minutes and we headed on to Belgium. As I was getting in line I spotted the one and only @ShookieJones and his family! I hopped out of line to go say hi! So awesome to meet people from this site! We read about each others journeys and adventures and all have the same love for Disney so it's awesome to see them in real life! We chatted for a bit with Enzo and his family and then we parted ways. So awesome to meet you and your family Enzo!! :)

Back in the Belgium line, I decided to get the belgian waffle with berry compote and whipped cream and Ashley got some chocolate seashells. The waffle was warm and delicious. The berry compote and whipped cream were the perfect compliment. Ashley enjoyed her chocolates.

Moving on to France, Ashley and I wanted the Eiffel Tower Cosmo Slush that had eluded us thus far. Luckily for us, the machine was working today! Sweet!! The slush was very tart, probably since it was made with cranberry, but it was good. Perfect thing to cool off with since it was a pretty warm afternoon. Mom got the Croque de whatever it's called. She liked it.

Yes, one of those slushes is mine. Ashley's isn't that much of a lush that she needs to double fist while strolling World Showcase.

After France, we didn't have anything else that we wanted to try. We were pretty full from all that we had sampled and unfortunately, the clock was ticking on our time left in the park. We leisurely strolled through UK making a pit stop to see some friends.

We walked through Canada and back through Future World towards the front gate. We said a final Happy Birthday and goodbye to Epcot and headed out of the park. The ride back to the hotel was uneventful and DME arrive at 3pm to pick us up. I cried on the bus ride when the characters on the DME video sang "Now it's time to say goodbye....." Yep.. gets me every time! We had checked our bags that morning so we made our way through security to our gate. We had a stop in Baltimore on the way and we landed safely in Portland, tired but happy to have just returned from an excellent visit to our favorite place on Earth!!

PartOfYourWorld

Was it just me or did Cindy's prince look older and didn't look like he fit the part?

Seeing that Let the Memories Begin sign at MK...I'm so happy to hear that it is finally gone!

Oh and hearing you talk about the old DME video is making me sad...I hear they changed it and updated it but it's not the same at all. Seems like its a walking advertisement for MyMagic+....which is okay, but they could still have done it with the characters entering the Grand Floridian and leaving :( We'll see how it is next month!

Happy to see you finally finished this report though! ;)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
So there you have it.... the trip report that took me almost 16 months to write! Do I get some sort of award for this? :)

A few things to recap.... Free dining. This was our first time trying our free dining. We liked that it gave us the option to order whatever we want on the menu without worrying about the price.
However, for us, it's a lot of food since we don't normally order dessert. I think once is enough for us. Tables in Wonderland seems to work best for us so I think we will stick with that going forward.

Food and Wine Festival.. We got a couple things from F&W in 2011, but this was the first time we actually tried out any of the food offerings. We enjoyed it and would have probably eaten more had we not been so full and ready to leave the park.

Our first MNSSHP (well, since then we have been to another one.) was awesome! The parade was awesome. My 2nd favorite parade ever! The fireworks were ok, but I'm not much into the villains. I'm a gal who likes the heroes more! Except Gaston... gotta love Gaston! haha. We loved seeing all the character dressed up in their costumes. Since the weather was a bit inclement, the crowds were not that bad.

The Tower of Terror 10 miler.... What can I say about the race that I haven't said before. It was an AMAZING experience. I still to this day cannot believe that I competed in a RunDisney event and I finished. My bling is hanging proudly in my room and whenever I look at the medal, I smile. I wouldn't have wanted to run that race with anyone other than my sister. She was my motivator and the reason I finished the race and I know she would say the same about me. We motivated each other and wouldn't let each other quit. Not sure I will ever run another 10+ mile race again so I'm glad the one race I ran was at the happiest place on Earth! :)

That's all folks! Thanks for sticking with me through this long drawn out trip report! I have 3 more reports to write and will have a 4th once we get back from our WDW / cruise trip in 3 weeks! SO I guess until we meet again.... See ya real soon! :)

Disneyfalcon

After I saw your post on Facebook, I made it my goal to get caught up on trip reports tonight! I'm so glad I did! It's totally different to read someone's report after you know them! Different in a good way! :)

I get so inspired reading running trip reports! I have no desire to run ever, but these reports always make me want to! A little tiny bit. :)

This completely cracked me up. I love these.

I am so impressed with y'all for finishing the race! Yay! I can only imagine how hard it was and how hard it was to keep going once you start hurting!

I loved it. Seriously. Can't wait for the next trip report! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Was it just me or did Cindy's prince look older and didn't look like he fit the part?

Seeing that Let the Memories Begin sign at MK...I'm so happy to hear that it is finally gone!

Oh and hearing you talk about the old DME video is making me sad...I hear they changed it and updated it but it's not the same at all. Seems like its a walking advertisement for MyMagic+....which is okay, but they could still have done it with the characters entering the Grand Floridian and leaving :( We'll see how it is next month!

Happy to see you finally finished this report though! ;)

Yeah looking at the Prince he does seem a bit "older" lol

I didn't know the sign was removed from the train station! I am impartial to it but I like the feeling that it's back to the old school way from when I used to go as a kid!

Ugh... the DME video.... It's awful!!! The ONLY part I liked about it was they played part of Walt's opening day dedication speech of Disneyland. That part made me tear up a bit (a lot) lol

Wonder how long it will take me to fiish my next one... Hmmm.... lol Thanks for reading! Miss ya!! :)

After I saw your post on Facebook, I made it my goal to get caught up on trip reports tonight! I'm so glad I did! It's totally different to read someone's report after you know them! Different in a good way! :)

I get so inspired reading running trip reports! I have no desire to run ever, but these reports always make me want to! A little tiny bit. :)

This completely cracked me up. I love these.

I am so impressed with y'all for finishing the race! Yay! I can only imagine how hard it was and how hard it was to keep going once you start hurting!

I loved it. Seriously. Can't wait for the next trip report! :)

Thaks for reading Tammy!! :)

I agree with you about reading people's trip reports after you know them! It definitely is different in a good way!

Those signs were hilarious. Definitely needed those laughs at that point in the race! Made me forget about how I felt like I was going to pass out! haha.

The next trip report probably won't be up til after our next trip. Then I'll have FOUR to write! Oh boy... lol

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Bad News - This trip report is over. :(

Good News - I can still wait another 5 - 6 months to complete my TR for this past year's trip if I want and still be waaaaaayyy less of a slacker - Thanks for setting the bar low and making the rest of us late-a$$ losers look good ;)

Thanks again for an awesome trip report!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Bad News - This trip report is over. :(

Good News - I can still wait another 5 - 6 months to complete my TR for this past year's trip if I want and still be waaaaaayyy less of a slacker - Thanks for setting the bar low and making the rest of us late-a$$ losers look good ;)

Thanks again for an awesome trip report!

haha I AM a slacker, what can I say?! I think if I didn't work on a computer 8 hours a day, I would finish the reports quicker. After sitting at my desk all day long, the last thing I want to do when I get home is hop on the computer again.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
haha I AM a slacker, what can I say?! I think if I didn't work on a computer 8 hours a day, I would finish the reports quicker. After sitting at my desk all day long, the last thing I want to do when I get home is hop on the computer again.
Messing with you of course. I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Working on a computer all day coupled with not having a definitive WDW schedule has made less than enthusiastic about moving forward with TR.
The truth is making you retain the "top slacker" title around here is going to be challenge, the way I'm going it may be done 24 months later before I'm done.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Messing with you of course. I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Working on a computer all day coupled with not having a definitive WDW schedule has made less than enthusiastic about moving forward with TR.
The truth is making you retain the "top slacker" title around here is going to be challenge, the way I'm going it may be done 24 months later before I'm done.

Guess I will just have to drag my next report out a few years then! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom