Do you get the feeling universal is one step ahead of Disney

Smiley/OCD

Well, since everyone has covered the 3D screens, I guess for me it just comes down to a feeling. When I leave Universal, the feeling is 'meh.' Ambivalent, not unimpressed, but not changed in anyway. Cool- I had fun, rode some rides, ate some mediocre theme park food, and (one time) stayed at what I felt was a "wannabe" Disney resort.

With Disney, I feel changed whenever I am there, and after I leave (here I am on a forum dedicated entirely to the establishment and it's been 2 years since I was last there). It just follows you. I don't know if I can articulate, but some kind of mix of inspired, excited, curious; essentially the definition of "joie de vivre." I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic but it just makes me more excited about life. Where else can you 'travel the world (showcase)' in one day? I could go on and on, the thematic elements that are just so perfectly executed, I am transported riding things like Tower of Terror, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Splash Mountain, - I'm preaching to the choir, but still. And the resorts - I can be in the 1920's at the BoardWalk, sitting on the beach in the Keys at Old Key West, in vintage Hawaiian/Polynesia at the Polynesian, or an equine enthusiast in elegant Saratoga Springs. And that's breaching the surface.

For me, Universal is what it is - a theme park. Disney is an escape. A chance for people to see the "world" who otherwise may never get to ACTUALLY see the world. I am almost 30, and have felt the same way about this place since I first started going when I was 8 or 9. My parents still make fun of me, when we had to leave on our first trip there I hoisted myself to the bed post and wouldn't let go. I still feel that way but I'm a little more mature about it now. I think. Ha.
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Smiley/OCD

I have scanned the eight pages ( so far) of this thread and IMHO I think Universal is ahead of Disney in how they manage capital investments. I believe many of the things we complain about Disney here can be linked to their continual fiddling with a projects budget because of the need for Burbank to approve every detail ( and changing them over time - a sure way to never hit your dates) I wonder if Comcast has a more hands off approach once a project has been approved because their core business is one in which major capital projects must be approved every year in order to keep the business competitive and profitable - so once it has been approved at Comcast it is a go - where as at Disney it is constantly being tweaked.

Is the culture at Disney corporate just too risk adverse and egocentric to just allow a project to go ahead? Are there fewer layers of approval needed at Comcast? Are the projects we are talking about just not that big in the overall scheme to corporations this size? Did Brian Roberts have to personally approve Jimmy Fallon attraction? For what it's worth I had to look him up as the Chairman of Comcast.

My point isn't that Disney is behind or Universal is ahead - perhaps what we see is simply a result of having very different corporate cultures building theme parks in their own ways today.

Just remember that in reality, Comcast hasn't been in the "theme park" business as long as Disney...someone there, board of directors, CEO etc. will eventually start to micromanage the resorts end of the business...it's just a matter of time...people "cutting the cord" with cable could eventually rear it's ugly head (that still IS the main focus of their business)...the first hiccup in their cash cow, and you'll see how fast park decisions are second guessed.

I think one of the problems Disney has is that its a giant bureaucracy..."to many chiefs and not enough Indians" syndrome...there's too many layers to go through to get a green light on a project(s).

Walt Disney1955

I know numbers aren't everything, but Universal Studios gets literally half the amount of guests that Magic Kingdom does. Even the other Disney parks are ahead of Universal, although not by that level. So it isn't as if Universal is ever going to pass them in that way.

The thing with Universal I am impressed with is that they go big. However, they have to tear out the heart of their park to do this. If you went there in 1993 there isn't that nostalgic feeling of doing the same things you did as a kid. Potter wasn't there, stuff like Jaws and King Kong are gone. When I go to the Magic Kingdom there are still plenty of opening day (or close to it) attractions that I knew I loved when I was 10. There are still rides there that my grandparents went on in 1973. That means something, and that is part of what makes Disney so beloved. My only worry is that Disney will copy what Universal does and rip out some classic attractions just to make something that will be glorious for 10 years and no more. I am pretty sure stuff like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, the three mountains, Small World, etc. are untouchable rides that they'll always have, but then again who knows? Universal would part with them, and to me that's what makes Disney better, and I hope always does.

Tom Morrow

It helps that most people didn't have an emotional attachment to Universal's old attractions, and nowhere near as much history with them, making it easier when they decide to get rid of them. I would say that, were it not a huge chunk of real estate, Jaws probably would have stayed for being iconic and nostalgic.

righttrack

If there is any truth to this, it's because of one thing. Disney has to pay homage to it's long past. Some things are just museum quality, people expect it and WDW delivers. Would you start off any theme park, with a blank sheet of paper and put on it Carousel of Progress or It's a Small World? Certainly, you'd do something like that but modernize it with new technology. Universal can be brutal in cutting old attractions and replace. There is no nostalgia factor.

Smiley/OCD

It helps that most people didn't have an emotional attachment to Universal's old attractions, and nowhere near as much history with them, making it easier when they decide to get rid of them. I would say that, were it not a huge chunk of real estate, Jaws probably would have stayed for being iconic and nostalgic.
I know, when my wife & I went to WDW on our honeymoon in '93, we went to Uni for 2 day trips...the last time we were there about 10 years ago, Simpsons was just being built, last year for Jaws...I miss Jaws, Earthquake, even the old Texaco station right outside the gates..

IAmFloridaBorn

I'll chime in.
Im more of a Universal guy simply put.
Bare in mind this is just my opinion.

Universal, in no way shape or form is ahead of Disney. Not theme parks, not media, and not money.

Comcast and their willingness to spend and expand puts Universal in a respectable spot as Disney.

WDW isnt just theme parks. It's golf, sports, family entertainment, local entertainment, and it's own entity.

UOR is literally just theme parks and NOW becoming a serious a destination.

For Universals land and space it's working with, its becoming very creative with attractions and hotels and I don't care which company you like best but to say Universal is doing anything less than spectacular with it's building practices and rates is absurd.

Each company especially in the last decade is the reason why we have some of the new attractions we do.

Thank God Disney didnt get Harry Potter because there probably wouldn't be Diagon Ally, Volcano Bay, Pandora, or anything of the sorts.

As people lets just be lucky we have two competitive companies who respect the other. Disney is still #1 but Disney is now sure Universal is capable of stepping its game up.

IAmFloridaBorn

Not necessarily. Many of USF Original attracts have PLENTY of History and emotional support. Difference is now, Comcast has a bigger wallet. What that translates into is making more competitive unique experiences in some interesting spaces. Kongfrontation,Jaws, BTTF, Earthquake....and probably ET really soon re definitely missed. Ride systems and real estate though like you mentioned are always going to be the decision over emotions.

GastonLeFou

It is hard to compare because they are pretty different. US is more thrilling, Disney is geared for families and young children. The only thing I prefer US to is their Express Pass is way better than Fast Pass. No scheduled times, go on a ride multiple times in a day, no limits like Disney has with booking 3 FPs. And, I like that if you stay on premises, that is part of your package and if you don't, then you have to pay extra for that ticket. I actually dislike the FP alot but it is better than nothing. Hate that you can't mix FP and parks in a single day and that they have certain rides you cannot FP in one group. And, your day is pretty planned out from 180 days out when you do your dining.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It is hard to compare because they are pretty different. US is more thrilling, Disney is geared for families and young children. The only thing I prefer US to is their Express Pass is way better than Fast Pass. No scheduled times, go on a ride multiple times in a day, no limits like Disney has with booking 3 FPs. And, I like that if you stay on premises, that is part of your package and if you don't, then you have to pay extra for that ticket. I actually dislike the FP alot but it is better than nothing. Hate that you can't mix FP and parks in a single day and that they have certain rides you cannot FP in one group. And, your day is pretty planned out from 180 days out when you do your dining.

If you want to spend a little more, passholders can use express after certain times of the day and don't have to hope and pray that what they want is available 30 days from now.

Universal gets the passholder experience just right, because they listen to the people who buy them.

Communicora

Premium Member
Universal needs to work on their branding. Whenever I talk to anyone about going to a Disney park, they assume that's where Harry Potter world is too. When I say that's at Universal they just get a blank look on their face like they've never heard of it. Disney is genius at promoting itself as a destination vacation. I know this is changing, but Universal is more like a place people tack on to another vacation.

Goofyernmost

Universal needs to work on their branding. Whenever I talk to anyone about going to a Disney park, they assume that's where Harry Potter world is too. When I say that's at Universal they just get a blank look on their face like they've never heard of it. Disney is genius at promoting itself as a destination vacation. I know this is changing, but Universal is more like a place people tack on to another vacation.
That's not Universals fault that it just an example of how stupid the public can be sometimes. As far as park confusion is concerned, all the promotion in the world doesn't make the public any smarter. I have heard so many people looking for or commenting on things that the saw at Disney that were either in Universal or Sea World or Bush Gardens.

Disney didn't help by having Disney/MGM studios. Very few people are savvy about movie studios. The may like a movie but you never hear them say... That MGM movie was great. They don't really connect a movie with a specific studio. Having the Disney/MGM tended to confuse people that weren't fully versed on that stuff so when they heard Universal mentioned they just assumed it was in Disney. Not really lack of branding just lack of working knowledge. I suspect most of us fall into that category especially if we don't spend a lot of time in Theme Parks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have scanned the eight pages ( so far) of this thread and IMHO I think Universal is ahead of Disney in how they manage capital investments. I believe many of the things we complain about Disney here can be linked to their continual fiddling with a projects budget because of the need for Burbank to approve every detail ( and changing them over time - a sure way to never hit your dates) I wonder if Comcast has a more hands off approach once a project has been approved because their core business is one in which major capital projects must be approved every year in order to keep the business competitive and profitable - so once it has been approved at Comcast it is a go - where as at Disney it is constantly being tweaked.

Is the culture at Disney corporate just too risk adverse and egocentric to just allow a project to go ahead? Are there fewer layers of approval needed at Comcast? Are the projects we are talking about just not that big in the overall scheme to corporations this size? Did Brian Roberts have to personally approve Jimmy Fallon attraction? For what it's worth I had to look him up as the Chairman of Comcast.

My point isn't that Disney is behind or Universal is ahead - perhaps what we see is simply a result of having very different corporate cultures building theme parks in their own ways today.

I think you are correct, Comcast is constantly doing large capital projects so they have a well oiled system which when the project launches it launches and is pretty much in the hands of the business unit till complete.

Disney OTOH is micromanaging their stock price so nothing ever has a fixed budget and expenditures are drawn out over many quarters to reduce apparent cash burn in reality this makes things cost more, sometimes MUCH more. But the 'company' looks good every quarter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom