Do you get the feeling universal is one step ahead of Disney

Tom Morrow

I've ridden River Journey and there are like 3? 4 screens? And none of them are the main focus, they're an extension of a physical set.

AND they're a scrim in behind and in front of a physical set. This is not in anywhere near the same as Universal's typical usage where the screen IS the scene.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I've ridden River Journey and there are like 3? 4 screens? And none of them are the main focus, they're an extension of a physical set.

AND they're a scrim in behind and in front of a physical set. This is not in anywhere near the same as Universal's typical usage where the screen IS the scene.

I rode it twice, there are at least 6. Even more when you consider the projections on the items above (I won't describe and spoil them). Three of them are the main focus point in the beginning of the ride. FoP is one big screen.

matt clark

As the quality and detail of the lands surrounding the rides goes up the usage of screens/projections will also go up. Screens/projectors are MUCH easier to maintain and also gives the park the flexibility to replace the rides eventually.

imperius

And if all rumors are true Universal is planning to move away from screens with Nintendo, Dragon challenge replacement, and further while Disney is putting more into them. Again, I don't care about screens when used well like SM, FJ, Gringotts, Transformers, FOP.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
And if all rumors are true Universal is planning to move away from screens with Nintendo, Dragon challenge replacement, and further while Disney is putting more into them. Again, I don't care about screens when used well like SM, FJ, Gringotts, Transformers, FOP.

There are just some things that are impossible to do without screens.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I rode it twice, there are at least 6. Even more when you consider the projections on the items above (I won't describe and spoil them). Three of them are the main focus point in the beginning of the ride. FoP is one big screen.

There are many more than that. I can get the exact figure when I'm home tonight if you like?

I'd like that, I'm sure I missed some.

17 video projection screens over 8 show scenes.

cbryns

Well, since everyone has covered the 3D screens, I guess for me it just comes down to a feeling. When I leave Universal, the feeling is 'meh.' Ambivalent, not unimpressed, but not changed in anyway. Cool- I had fun, rode some rides, ate some mediocre theme park food, and (one time) stayed at what I felt was a "wannabe" Disney resort.

With Disney, I feel changed whenever I am there, and after I leave (here I am on a forum dedicated entirely to the establishment and it's been 2 years since I was last there). It just follows you. I don't know if I can articulate, but some kind of mix of inspired, excited, curious; essentially the definition of "joie de vivre." I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic but it just makes me more excited about life. Where else can you 'travel the world (showcase)' in one day? I could go on and on, the thematic elements that are just so perfectly executed, I am transported riding things like Tower of Terror, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Splash Mountain, - I'm preaching to the choir, but still. And the resorts - I can be in the 1920's at the BoardWalk, sitting on the beach in the Keys at Old Key West, in vintage Hawaiian/Polynesia at the Polynesian, or an equine enthusiast in elegant Saratoga Springs. And that's breaching the surface.

For me, Universal is what it is - a theme park. Disney is an escape. A chance for people to see the "world" who otherwise may never get to ACTUALLY see the world. I am almost 30, and have felt the same way about this place since I first started going when I was 8 or 9. My parents still make fun of me, when we had to leave on our first trip there I hoisted myself to the bed post and wouldn't let go. I still feel that way but I'm a little more mature about it now. I think. Ha.

imperius

See Universal was the first and only place to transport me with Hogsmeade and Diagon. Disney has good theming but never made my jaw drop. Pandora will be a whole different story though.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
See Universal was the first and only place to transport me with Hogsmeade and Diagon. Disney has good theming but never made my jaw drop. Pandora will be a whole different story though.

Pandora is not on the level of HP, although I am withholding judgement until I see it at night.

disneygeek90

Pandora is not on the level of HP, although I am withholding judgement until I see it at night.
I think it's different. Where HP is focused a lot on the shops, wands, interactive-ness of the two cities, Pandora is focused virtually on the natural attributes of the world. I suppose it depends on what your scale of defining is on. In terms of shops and interactivity, HP still takes it. In terms of aesthetic, Pandora could quite possibly take it from the pure size, scale and beauty.

Bias aside, I would say that FoP at a minimum gives FJ a serious run for it's money, too.

Last edited:

imperius

I've heard really good things about FOP, but I can't believe a single screen ride with displace FJ or Spiderman for best ride for me.

Kingtut

It just seems Disney knows they need to do something but what they are doing just seems like a step behind universal. Hollywood studios and Epcot should have never gotten into this position and I really hope pandora has the wow factor and it's not just a yawn.
I have scanned the eight pages ( so far) of this thread and IMHO I think Universal is ahead of Disney in how they manage capital investments. I believe many of the things we complain about Disney here can be linked to their continual fiddling with a projects budget because of the need for Burbank to approve every detail ( and changing them over time - a sure way to never hit your dates) I wonder if Comcast has a more hands off approach once a project has been approved because their core business is one in which major capital projects must be approved every year in order to keep the business competitive and profitable - so once it has been approved at Comcast it is a go - where as at Disney it is constantly being tweaked.

Is the culture at Disney corporate just too risk adverse and egocentric to just allow a project to go ahead? Are there fewer layers of approval needed at Comcast? Are the projects we are talking about just not that big in the overall scheme to corporations this size? Did Brian Roberts have to personally approve Jimmy Fallon attraction? For what it's worth I had to look him up as the Chairman of Comcast.

My point isn't that Disney is behind or Universal is ahead - perhaps what we see is simply a result of having very different corporate cultures building theme parks in their own ways today.

Incomudro

Well, since everyone has covered the 3D screens, I guess for me it just comes down to a feeling. When I leave Universal, the feeling is 'meh.' Ambivalent, not unimpressed, but not changed in anyway. Cool- I had fun, rode some rides, ate some mediocre theme park food, and (one time) stayed at what I felt was a "wannabe" Disney resort.

With Disney, I feel changed whenever I am there, and after I leave (here I am on a forum dedicated entirely to the establishment and it's been 2 years since I was last there). It just follows you. I don't know if I can articulate, but some kind of mix of inspired, excited, curious; essentially the definition of "joie de vivre." I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic but it just makes me more excited about life. Where else can you 'travel the world (showcase)' in one day? I could go on and on, the thematic elements that are just so perfectly executed, I am transported riding things like Tower of Terror, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Splash Mountain, - I'm preaching to the choir, but still. And the resorts - I can be in the 1920's at the BoardWalk, sitting on the beach in the Keys at Old Key West, in vintage Hawaiian/Polynesia at the Polynesian, or an equine enthusiast in elegant Saratoga Springs. And that's breaching the surface.

For me, Universal is what it is - a theme park. Disney is an escape. A chance for people to see the "world" who otherwise may never get to ACTUALLY see the world. I am almost 30, and have felt the same way about this place since I first started going when I was 8 or 9. My parents still make fun of me, when we had to leave on our first trip there I hoisted myself to the bed post and wouldn't let go. I still feel that way but I'm a little more mature about it now. I think. Ha.

Very nicely said.

bh_trade

I read pg 1 of this thread then skipped to the end. So I might likely be repeating what has already been stated, but here is my take. imho only . . .

-The theming and immersion of WWHP is better than anything WDW has to offer. Have not seen Pandora, will next month but during the daytime, not evening :(
-Staying at Univ resort = shorter lines via express pass (does not apply to WWHP), whereas Disney only offers extended hrs
-My wife can't stand Univ, too many motion simulator rides that make her nauseous
-Overall, the Disney parks are a better experience, but it is sad what DHS and Epcot have become, shells of what they once were

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom