Do you get the feeling universal is one step ahead of Disney

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
It just seems Disney knows they need to do something but what they are doing just seems like a step behind universal. Hollywood studios and Epcot should have never gotten into this position and I really hope pandora has the wow factor and it's not just a yawn.

disney4life2008

Not at all. The overwhelming majority of people who visit Orlando their prime reason is to go to disney. Universal gets a substantial amount of visitors because of disneyworld. Many of the Disney visitors may not even touch universal. Now, in the last 5 years universal has substantially gotten better and with potter, people solely come here for that. Universal gets a huge amount of locals who go to the parks, same with Disney, universal gets a high number.

Hollywood studios end epcot, i agree. But for a novice, both parks are likely great. And because its included in the ticket, people don't complain.

BigRedDad

Yes, Universal is a step ahead. What Disney has done over the past years is try to play catch up. Star Wars Land could be the step Disney makes to end the catch up game. It is an opportunity to FINALLY put a true thrill ride in. The can design and build one heck of a Tie Fighter/X-Wing dueling rollercoaster. They can put in sever excellent VR attractions as well. The problem is it takes WDW 3-5 years to roll it out and it take Universal 2-3 years.

Yes, most people go to the Orlando area for WDW. However, those same crowds are going to US as well.

Goofyernmost

How does one play catch-up when they are now and have been miles ahead to begin with. Universal is a completely different experience in scope. It has many very good attractions, some even better then Disney's and that is back from years ago. What Disney is doing is making an attempt to stay ahead to the same degree that they once did, but, to think that they are trying to catch up just doesn't hold water.

I have been going to Uni since it opened, but, the number of days at Disney compared to Uni is laughable. It isn't a everyone fits park (Uni), Potter has never been anything for me because I am bigger and miss the ability to see the attractions by literally an inch in the waste-line. So Disney is not affected by Potter if they aren't slim and trim. Disney made the effort to design for everyone, not necessarily focus on the ideal. That is what has kept Disney in the top spot for years.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Uni exists has forced Disney to create things that are new and imaginative, like Pandora, and for that we should be thankful. I can go for two days at Uni and in that time have run out of things to do because they have put a great deal of emphasis on "thrill" and because of space needed to have less common attractions. Potter didn't have to exclude so many of us. Although overweight, I am not that far over the line. I should be able to experience everything like I can in Disney. The only thing that stops me at Disney is my desire for a certain type of attraction, not the problem of having to "fit". They missed a big opportunity because the were very close with that one of having both, but, failed for many of us.

disneygeek90

I live 10 mins away from both, and now have an AP to both. If anything, I like Universal because it’s less crowded. Lots of people are bailing out of there by 5-6pm and rides are a near walk on. I have fun when I go, but aside from the HP lands, I don’t think there’s anything all that impressive about the others lands. And, I know this is beating a dead horse, but they have about one (five) too many virtual/3D/screen rides for my taste to make me want to give them the edge.

MickeyMomV

I don't believe so. I'm of the mind set that they are completely different parks that have their own niche. Sure they have some overlap but for the most part they are different venues. WDW caters to people of all ages and groups that want to be taken away into their world of fantasy. Uni, IMO, caters to the thrill seekers, the teens and 20 something's that want the big roller coasters without all of the extra that goes along with it. I do believe that the 2 parks feed off each other. If it wasn't for WDW most rides at Uni would still be a pile of steel with ride names slapped on them. WDW forced them to rethink the customer experience. WDW continues to innovate as they have always done and its their innovation that feeds the rest of the industry.

The Harry Potter part of Uni is the exception to this but even now people at WDW have admitted they made a big mistake on this one. And together the 2 phases took 7 years to complete. Anything worth doing takes time!! But to say they WDW is behind Uni just because of HP is a bit of stretch.

Fox&Hound

How does one play catch-up when they are now and have been miles ahead to begin with. Universal is a completely different experience in scope. It has many very good attractions, some even better then Disney's and that is back from years ago. What Disney is doing is making an attempt to stay ahead to the same degree that they once did, but, to think that they are trying to catch up just doesn't hold water.

I have been going to Uni since it opened, but, the number of days at Disney compared to Uni is laughable. It isn't a everyone fits park (Uni), Potter has never been anything for me because I am bigger and miss the ability to see the attractions by literally an inch in the waste-line. So Disney is not affected by Potter if they aren't slim and trim. Disney made the effort to design for everyone, not necessarily focus on the ideal. That is what has kept Disney in the top spot for years.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Uni exists has forced Disney to create things that are new and imaginative, like Pandora, and for that we should be thankful. I can go for two days at Uni and in that time have run out of things to do because they have put a great deal of emphasis on "thrill" and because of space needed to have less common attractions. Potter didn't have to exclude so many of us. Although overweight, I am not that far over the line. I should be able to experience everything like I can in Disney. The only thing that stops me at Disney is my desire for a certain type of attraction, not the problem of having to "fit". They missed a big opportunity because the were very close with that one of having both, but, failed for many of us.

I understand you, but what about SDMT? Man, those are some small carts. I am not a huge guy, but certainly weigh more than I did in my college days and those are a tight fit....

a goofy username

uni's great (forbidden journey is something else, wow) but has waaaay too many of those "dark rides" that are just vehicles moving through a series of empty rooms with big movie screens and getting sprayed with water once or twice. i think most people understand that wdw's are much better and still worth it

matt clark

One of the things they are WAAAYY ahead of disney in is interactivity. The potter wands, tapu tapu at VB, and what the plans are for nintendo are its strong points.
Potter's complete submersion is way ahead of what disney has RIGHT NOW... pandora and star wars will catch them up. Disney is paying the price for its international focus locally... I like both parks though for different reasons. Disney is WAY ahead of universal in hotels. Disney is way ahead of universal with animated i.p.'s. Universal has the advantage of having city walk and great dining a footstep outside of their parks vs. disney springs... though disney springs LOOKS nicer. there are WAY more examples to review, but in short... NO.. universal is NOT a step ahead.. what they are doing is catching up in hyper drive. The plans for a third gate... getting a hold of dreamworks AND illumination animation studios... The concerts at universal are WAY better... Halloween Horror nights... its all headed in the right direction. Screen-based rides.. especially at universal studios orlando is definitely a controversial topic.. not so much at islands of adventure... but we will see how that plays out.

jloucks

It just seems Disney knows they need to do something but what they are doing just seems like a step behind universal. Hollywood studios and Epcot should have never gotten into this position and I really hope pandora has the wow factor and it's not just a yawn.

They are absolutely one step ahead with the older kids. My daughter, now mid teens, prefers US over WDW. My son, has shifted to neutral. I guess I am technically neutral too as I will never visit Orlando again and not visit both parks.

OK, fine, fine, I like WDW a smidge more. =P

jloucks

One of the things they are WAAAYY ahead of disney in is interactivity. The potter wands, tapu tapu at VB, and what the plans are for nintendo are its strong points.
Potter's complete submersion is way ahead of what disney has RIGHT NOW... pandora and star wars will catch them up. Disney is paying the price for its international focus locally... I like both parks though for different reasons. Disney is WAY ahead of universal in hotels. Disney is way ahead of universal with animated i.p.'s. Universal has the advantage of having city walk and great dining a footstep outside of their parks vs. disney springs... though disney springs LOOKS nicer. there are WAY more examples to review, but in short... NO.. universal is NOT a step ahead.. what they are doing is catching up in hyper drive. The plans for a third gate... getting a hold of dreamworks AND illumination animation studios... The concerts at universal are WAY better... Halloween Horror nights... its all headed in the right direction. Screen-based rides.. especially at universal studios orlando is definitely a controversial topic.. not so much at islands of adventure... but we will see how that plays out.

I agree. ...and would add the no bus, no car, requirement of staying onsite at Universal Studios is awesome. The WDW cattle car busing system is something I have come to dread.

Bacon

Harry Potter yes I agree
Taping tapu well I don't know if you have heard about Magic bands

DfromATX

Now Disney has my heart (like everyone else on here), but I have been to Universal/IOA and I can honestly say it was pretty awesome! They did seem much more advanced as far as technology goes and Harry Potter is still one of our favorite rides. It definitely had a "wow" factor to it. I am really, really hoping that the flight ride is similar to HP. It was so realistic and we felt like we were actually flying on a broom. So much fun! If the Avatar flight ride is like that, wow, it's really going to be great!

Goofyernmost

I understand you, but what about SDMT? Man, those are some small carts. I am not a huge guy, but certainly weigh more than I did in my college days and those are a tight fit....
I've ridden it many times with relative comfort. Tight yes, but, still doable. They came close to excluding and maybe have, but, it would be in extreme cases. I have found that the ones with the most problem are those that are very tall, not considered obese.

correcaminos

I live 10 mins away from both, and now have an AP to both. If anything, I like Universal because it’s less crowded. Lots of people are bailing out of there by 5-6pm and rides are a near walk on. I have fun when I go, but aside from the HP lands, I don’t think there’s anything all that impressive about the others lands. And, I know this is beating a dead horse, but they have about one (five) too many virtual/3D/screen rides for my taste to make me want to give them the edge.
Even HP lands were a disappointment to us because of how crowded it is there yet the rides and theming is spot on, and I will say there are things about USF that they are doing better.

I think Disney was silly to focus on Avatar when they did and not do more with Star Wars until now. Their addition seem to take forever to create and often are riddled with issues upon opening. That needs to be fixed. So yes and no, to the OP. Not a straight answer from me.

Tom Morrow

In terms of theming and immersion, WWoHP is the only time Universal has ever exceeded Disney. Any other time, Universal goes 3/4ths of the way to greatness... or slaps together some tired BS like Fallon. Or builds the same ride twice (Kong and F&F)

Before you jump down my throat, I equally criticize and praise both resorts.

Tom Morrow

I think Disney was silly to focus on Avatar when they did and not do more with Star Wars until now. Their addition seem to take forever to create and often are riddled with issues upon opening. That needs to be fixed. So yes and no, to the OP. Not a straight answer from me.

Pandora took so long because over half that time was spent in the development stages because there was so much dispute over what it should be, the scope, etc. Gringotts had just as many issues when it was new, as do most new, high tech rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom